Protoss Discussion

May 14 Myco's Guide to Lower Leagued toss players. I've been mentoring many lower league toss players and I've decided to write out a guide about common problems I noticed/things most people need to work on. Note: this is a guide intended for bronze/silver players mostly, so you may disagree with some points here and there, but I believe its easier for new players to understand the game first before looking into deeper strategies/micros/etc.. If anyone thinks that there is anything this guide is missing, you are welcome to point it out and I'll gladly add it. _________________________________________________________________ 1.) The Basics 1.1) Probe Production Perhaps the biggest problem I've noticed among lower leagued players is that they don’t make nearly enough workers. Generally speaking, you should never hold your probe production until you are around 80’ish probes. The key to a powerful army is a strong economy, which is powered by a lot of probes. Don’t worry about how making too many probes is going leave you without enough army, unless you’re going for some rush builds (k4g for example),there is never a time where lots of workers are gonna hurt you. You dont need to make worker non-stop past early game, but you need to remember to chrono boost out a pair of worker once in a while. 1.2) Chrono Boost Chrono boost is another important thing that most low league players miss. You should never save up chrono boost off 1 base unless you are getting an important tech soon. Toss production and research are fairly slow so chrono boost is essential to keep yourself ahead in a game. The importance level of things that needs to be chrono boosted are as follows (imo): Warpgate tech (prob most important tech, worth saving up chrono for)>Extended Thermal Lance/Psi-Storm>Other Upgrades>Robo/Stargate Units>Probes>Warpgates (Late game when you have spare). Of course you need to use early game chrono boosts wisely. Usually you should chrono out your 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th probes. After that if you do not require a super fast warpgate you can maybe spend another 1-2 chrono on workers, but save at least one for warpgate. In mid-late game once your on 2-3base, you can feel free to chrono anything you need out fast. It will help a lot to get some vital upgrades out. 1.3) Supply This is yet another common problem. Players tend to either make too many pylons thus wasting valuable resource early on or get supply blocked and have their production halted. Supply block at a bad time can easily cost you the game. It is quite hard to not get supply blocked at all during mid-late game. But I'd suggest that every time you goes through 1 production cycle of units (made some units from your production buildings) add 1 pylon for every base you have and maybe a extra one if you’re going supply costly unit like Colossi. Early game though, a good time to drop your pylon will be: 1st pylon at 9 supply, 2nd at 15-16, third at 22-24, 4th at around 30. This should allow you to stay ahead in supply early game without wasting much resource. 1.4) Production Buildings 1 Protoss base can support a maximum of 4 production buildings continuously making units. So you should not have more then 4 production building when you’re on 1 base. If you are going high tech units such as Colossi off of 1 base, you usually can only support continuous production off of 3 buildings (1 robo 2gates). More importantly, once you have expanded add more production buildings so that you can effectively turn your resources into army. You don’t need another 4 buildings up as soon as your expo is up but get them gradually as you saturate your expansion.Mycophobia317 May 14
May 14 Protoss Micro Tips Note: If you are plat or below, macro is still MUCH more important than micro. Focus on just having more units than your enemy, rather than controlling the few units you have. General Micro Tips: 1. Are your zealots in front of your stalkers? 2. Are your low-health units in the back of your army before you attack? 3. Are your immortals attacking armored units? 4. Are your colossus attacking clumped up units? If the entire enemy army is clumped, than focus on attacking light units (marines, hydras, zealots) 5. When defending your ramp, A. Are your units in a concave at the top of your ramp? B. Are you cutting his army into bite-size pieces? C. Are your zealots on hold so they arent attacked by the units beneath your forcefield? D. Are your stalks far back enough to not get hit by the units beneath the forcefield? 6. Are you moving units under fire to the back of your army? 7. You can somewhat kite-attack marines, roaches (assuming they dont have movement speed yet), and zealots with stalkers 8. You can forcefield the enemy ramp to prevent him from reinforcing the units that are at his natural expansion. 9. When chasing down an enemy, pull your zealots back to prevent kiting (from maruaders, roaches, hydras) 10. In order to bunker, cannon, or spine crawler bust move your army just outside the range of the static defense and put them on hold, then, attack move your colossus (with the range upgrade) into the static defense. 11. Put health bars on, so you can see which units are low health. 12. Psionic Storm does not stack, so do not throw down more than 1 storm in the same place. 13. Before an attack, put your units in a quick concave with zealots in front to help get a concave sooner when the attack begins. 14. Colossus can abuse high ground by attacking units on the low ground and then moving back once the units move in to attack the colossus. 15. stalkers can chase fleeing units. 16. Do you have functional control groups? (For example, I have 1 as my army, 2 as my sentries, 3 for HTs or collosus, 4 for nexuses, 5 for tech, 6 for observer) 17. Remember to move your HTs back once they have stormed to prevent them from running into the enemy army. 18. Make sure your sentries aren't tanking damage for stalkers. Your sentries are spellcasters, not dps dealers or tanks, so once your zealots are dead, MOVE THEM BACK. 19. With the interceptor upgrade, carriers can launch their interceptors and move away from the enemy. Rinse and repeat. 20. Spread out your dark templar to force the enemy to react to different locations. Also, the enemy will need multiple sources of detection in order to counter your harass. 21. Blink can be used to blink back the stalkers with lowest health to the back of the army. Also, Blink can be used to get a faster concave against the enemy. Additionally, You can ensure that all your stalkers will blink to high ground or low ground by right clicking to the point where you want to blink FROM, hold shift and click B at the place where you want your stalkers to blink TO, then right click past that point which will make the stalkers move thus giving the other stalkers room to blink (hold shift the whole time). 22. Moving your sentry forward with guardian shield popped can cover your zealots with guardian shield, which will help them last a lot longer against ranged units and especially marine armies. 24.Morph your HTs into archons if they are out of energy or just got EMPed. You can also do this with DTs, if they have mobile detection. 25. Before I engage I try to attack in multiple locations to distract my opponent and catch his main army off guard. 26. Bring a probe with your army and make pylons along the way as you move out. Protoss versus Zerg Micro Tips The goal of micro versus zerg is to allow the majority of your units to attack while only a few zerg units can attack. 1. Are you keeping your units in a ball to prevent speedling surround? This changes when facing infestors. Spread out your army to prevent money fungal growth chains. 2. Are you attacking through constricted pathways? (attacking in the open makes it harder to forcefield and you need more forcefields) This changes when infestors are out (then you want to attack in open pathways, while spreading your army). 3. Are you cutting his roach army and hydra army into bite size chunks with ffs to prevent most of them from attacking? 4. Have an observer ahead of your army so you know when and where you are going to have to ff. 5. Make sure your colossus are attacking lings or hydras. 6. Make sure your army is not attacking broodlings, but actual units.yaegz288 May 14
Jul 25, 2010 Forum Guidelines - Please Read Welcome to the StarCraft II discussion forums! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss all aspects of StarCraft II with your fellow players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy. Therefore, we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct before posting. Search The new search function at the top of the StarCraft II community site is extremely robust. Please be sure to use it to look for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer before creating your forum topic. Making a new thread on an existing subject will likely result in your thread being deleted. If you continue to repost it you're likely to have your posting privileges suspended for spamming. Worst of all, you'll be making the other forum goers upset that you didn't take a minute to search before posting. Rating The new rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, and demote unhelpful posts, or even report posts that violate the forum code of conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with a thumbs up, and a thumbs down icon. Clicking the 'thumbs down' icon you can choose from a few options. Dislike will rate the comment down. If enough people dislike a post it will be darkened, or with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of the violation. You can only rate each post once. Use it wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community. Guidelines In addition to the forum Code of Conduct, here are some common courtesy guidelines to follow. While these do technically fall within the bounds of the Code of Conduct, these cover more specific examples of common errors that will lead to thread deletions or posting privileges being revoked. The StarCraft II forums are for discussion of topics directly related to StarCraft II The forums here are specifically to discuss the game and related topics. Any topics not related to StarCraft II, Battle.net or Blizzard are subject to deletion. Don't post in all capital letters, use a misleading title, excessive punctuation, non-standard symbols, etc. While everyone wants their posts read, we ask you to refrain from using these types of tactics in order to bring more people to your thread. Let your post stand on its own merit. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion. Using the words Blizzard, Blue, or any community team members name in a thread topic is frowned upon Everyone would like Blizzard to read and acknowledge his or her post, and we understand that. However, use of such words in the topic does not help that come to pass. Please make your thread title relevant to the post subject. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion. Posting "First" or IBTL constitutes as spamming You will be suspended if you create a post that is intended to call out that you achieved a specific reply number in a thread. This is considered spamming. Posting IBTL (in before the lock) is not helpful and if you feel a thread should be moderated please use the rating button to do so. Do not bump posts The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called 'necro bumping' or 'necroing'). Petition posts are frowned upon These are discussion forums, and as such we ask that you hold discussions. Creating a thread to ask for replies as votes is not a discussion. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion. Do not post about locked or deleted threads Posts that are moderated have a reason behind the moderation. It's up to you to read the forum code of conduct and these guidelines to determine what you did wrong, learn from your mistake, and attempt to post again without breaking any rules.Bashiok0 Jul 25, 2010
12h What's the safest opening for protoss ? The most basic one ? I usually go with pylone then nexus at 1min then gates and cybercore, and I build a wall at the 2nd expac location. But maybe l shoudln't, how do you guys do it ?Feitan1 12h
13h Chrono boost being at 100% protoss stalkers i like that this is getting changed to make them more defensive but as it is now i have to go for siege tanks to stop early allins one prob which im sure you guys are aware is the 100% chrono boost ability thats to fast for stalkers to show up to my base before bunker is done if i expanded i have 1 marine and maybe a cyclone when this happens and its not just 1 stalker its 2 im able to hold it if i rush out a cyclone on them just think that kinda of attack could snowball way to fast on people who are a little be lower league than me. One other thing the new attack they get is very powerful vs armor units like the cyclone i have to rush out or the tank. i think a fix to this potential prob may be make boost 75% to getting units out just so the terran has time to at least get defenses that the toss would then have to micro around.BensonSC1 13h
14h shield recharge i agree that this is a cool change but i dont know if its a good thing while in combat being able to regen shields feel like it should be out of combat only for it to work reason being is this shuts down alot of early harrass lets say i make a banshee vs toss they just throw on shield regen and there probes dont die as easy this weakens terran harrass capabilitiesBensonSC4 14h
18h Mother Ship Core Removal Thoughts Just wondering how you guys feel about the proposed MC removal. I just have a bad feeling its going to turn every game I play into constant allin defenses. Plus early/mid game drops are going to be a nightmare to defend as well. What are yalls thoughts?Nordy5 18h
22h How to beat Terran Tank/ Liberator/ Missile? I am Diamond, and since liberators came out PvT have turned really unballanced. Now most of terrans just do and early/ midgame push with liberators/marine/ tanks, and I dont have the tech to counter this. Some even set a perimeter in my base with turrets and mines, so phoenixes (wich used to work a little against this build) goes useless. I am sick of this. Terran just have to park the liberators, tanks, mines and wait to win. Toss have to micro the !@#$ out of the game to have some chance. Maybe in Master or Pro League they know how to do it, but in diamond, its just too easy to be terran now.DeathLord3 22h
1d How to Deal with the ladder torture? every game is loosing if u paly the race- sould we just all switching to ez zerg and terrancraft?IIIIIIIIIIII3 1d
2d Mothership as an alternative to a Nexus Since the Nexus and the Mothership are going to be very similar with the changes blizz is talking about, how about making the Mothership able to receive minerals and gas from probes? It could have the ability to lose some of its powers and 'park' by a resource zone so that probes could return their cargo to it, essentially making it a mobile Nexus. Since only one Mothership is allowed it would still mean that players will have to adapt to the new Nexus changes, but 'unparking' and running (especially if observers detect the Anti-Air early) could be an alternative way to defend an expansion.Grindspice0 2d
2d Killing their workers What's the best way to kill their peons. Do you have a separate method depending which race you are facing? What build order do you use to attack workers?Rich2 2d
5d What's a Brotoss? I've seen some people refer to Protoss as Brotoss. Just curious as what the Bro means and why the replacement. isospeedrix75 5d
5d PVT - Terran nearly always wins 4 min ago Protoss have little chance against terran early to mid game. All a toss can really do vs terran is to defend. The terran will send endless drops and do split attacks on main and exps. Adepts are weak period. Phoenix sucks because it can only attack air. The game is so rigged in terran's favor. Blizz needs to fix this asap. Solutions: Make zealots cheaper Make charged pylons do more damage Make reapers slower Lower marine hit points Raise cost of marines These are just some ideas. I am a Diamond player that loses most of the time to Terran. I am just sick of it.SarajevoD21 5d
6d RE SC1 Remaster. I hope Blizzard address what exactly happened to Fenix's psi-blades after the battle of Antioch, 15+ years and I haven't the foggiest as to why they just shut down on him like that when those 3 Hydralisks came at him. Ive been gone from the forums/pc gaming for a long time though, has this topic ever been discussed?NovaPrime1 6d
Aug 12 Protoss Players... Interested in 1v1 practice? I am putting together a group of people and maybe more to make available a place to find somebody to spar with. If you would like your name in the hat, put it in a paper airplane and throw it my way. I hope you are good at making paper airplanes, because to reach me it will probably have to go pretty far. I'm currently a M2 zerg and we have an M2 protoss. But even if you are new to the game, I would like to get anyone involved not just Code S players (OK?). So if you are Bronze, send me a paper airplane! If you are GM, send me a paper airplane. I don't care about your league, I care that you feel like you have options and make definitive goals to strive towards. So go ahead and tell your friends, grandmother, cat, and the flying purple people eaters about this. Maybe we can get something awesome going. Practice#11725IIIIIIIIIIII6 Aug 12
Aug 11 Blizz Address weak state of protoss I've never seen it this bad whether it's laddering, or in tournaments All i see is zergs and terrans in the RO4 anymore. Protoss is so under powered you can even play the AI vs terran on very hard and AI mech's a comp that's damn near unbeatable, zerg units are alot more cheaper and stronger than protoss units... I'm sick of blizzard never buffing or balancing Protoss w/ the other 2 Stronger races , esp vs Terran and Zerg both... It's a huge unaddressed problem and it's the core reason i stopped playing! When you units just melt to terran comps & zerg comps something is wrong I used to win alot more games w/ the same comps that melt. Terran is far too over buffed...InfidiumX19 Aug 11
Aug 11 Pylon field How bout fixing the pylon field, when a pylon is built on the natural it shouldnt show that in the base when it isnt there pylon to cannom is vostlyTony0 Aug 11
Aug 11 effective Carrier Rush build I've been rushed many times by this, instead of raging about how OP protoss are, I decide to try it out myself. Can anyone tell me an effective build for getting carriers while having enough defense to survive in a normal match. Much thanksGaudemas13 Aug 11
Aug 11 Gateway vs. Warpgate Which one is better? I know that to reinforce a position, the warpgate is THE thing you need as Protoss. BUT there is a but: when battling and microing, I won't be making units. Are Warpgate THAT much of useful? :)Yellow49 Aug 11
Aug 10 Carriers' lack of balance Whenever a game gets too long, the Carriers are totally unmatched by most any unit... and to top things off they get to have a mother ship which cloaks them. There isn't a single unit on Terran or Zerg in the maxed out game that can counter that. So the only really good strategy against them is to not let the game get that long. But that seems like bull. Shouldn't the other races have some sort of unit that can counter it? Why not go back to the non-automatic interceptors... that would help.LngsTasteBad8 Aug 10
Aug 9 Protoss Warp Out? I understand that protoss being unable to heal their troops on the field is part of the flavor and balance of the race (healing and repairing after the battle). Zerg get slow regen, terran get medics and repair, and protoss get shields, but for the most part, a wounded protoss unit stays wounded. Sure, shields help, but in game, sometimes the best option seems to be to sacrifice a bunch of wounded units to free up supply to spend on something else. But considering the protoss have less than a disposable arsenal and limited manpower, this seems plain stupid. If it's so hard to repair protoss forces and tend to wounded zealots on the battlefield, why not have a way to warp out weakened units, or ones that won't be as effective in the current state of the battlefield (warping out weakened zealots against a largely air based army, or warping out phoenixes when the enemy surrenders air control, so on and so fourth)? I guess in game, if there were a structure to do that, it would mechanically work kind of like a recycler of sorts, where units would "load" into and after a short time, warp out of the map and refund some resources. Something to incentivize keeping units alive, vs the terrans who only care about their heavy ordinance and the zerg who are designed to just brute force their way through everything. The exception could be archons, considering their lore means they just blow up sometime after the battle. I'm not asking for balance changes, in fact I have not played ladder since 2013, so I have nothing productive to say there (sorry). But for when SC3 (hopefully) rolls around, I think it's an idea to consider for toss. Thoughts?Defnderpilot0 Aug 9
Aug 7 Idea to improve Disruptor Protoss would be more "fun" for players if the disruptor was faster ( not the nova shot or the cool down time on it shorter but the unit itself ) This would give P some thing to micro with and make the unit not such an all or nothing thing. Maybe balance the increase in unit movement speed with nova shot speed slow down. I think the disruptor could be a really "fun" unit but the design dev team tried to make it an LOTV version of the BW reaver I think Protoss players should consider supporting something like this.blueant3 Aug 7
Aug 1 Less and less Protoss, the higher your ranked Has anybody noticed this trend? That the higher your ranked the fewer Protoss are playing the game. has anybody noticed fewer and fewer protoss enter tournaments as well? Other than neeb, showtime, the landscape seems dominated by terran, zerg ...cannedbeans5 Aug 1
Aug 1 COACH ME Any masters toss wanna help me and show me how they like to play lotv and i can show you.. I was masters in hots and wol (even once in lotv) but that was as terran I have replays please help!ProAsianToss0 Aug 1
Jul 31 Pvz: Nydus with Hydra/Lurker How do you beat it as Toss? What do you do against a Nydus in your Main, one in your Natural and the Rest attacks your third/fourth? Since Nydus cant be killed while morphing in (???? WHY) cannons dont do anything. Obs get sniped so you NEED oracles, but by the time you get to tag the lurkers they have already traded cost efficiently, especially because your own Buildings will block your path. Also, if you didnt open Stargate and dont have 1-2 oracles out, youre pretty much dead 200% because you wont have any Detection.Cirdaen1 Jul 31
Jul 31 Marauder w/ stim vs Immortal I'm a 500 diamond and just got beat twice by a 700 terran and the main thing he did to beat me was abuse the range difference between his marauders (which has stim+conc) vs my immortals. Have you guys experienced this yet? It hasn't happened often but it seems he did it fairly easily. Now I'm thinking I'm gonna have to just try to spam sentries and some cannon towers at my choke super fast and tech chargelots and not expand till I have that completed. How do you guys handle the abuse? Do you manage to have sentries to keep them from kiting your immortals? I feel like asking to get immortal range equalized to marauder range (either range buff for imo or nerf buff for marauder) but I probably just need to L2p.Blackfoot21 Jul 31
Jul 30 cyclone cheese How do you deal with this cheese? Very frustrating getting defeated by thisbingrop9 Jul 30
Jul 29 How to counter Void Ray ball as Protoss? I've been getting back into LOTV after a hiatus, and I'm struggling to understand the counters to mass void rays (with some grounds units to support/tank) In one PvP game, I had an army of immortals, zealots, sentries, phoenixes and a bunch of stalkers, but despite proper focusing (immortals/zealots on enemy ground units, phoenix/stalkers focus-firing enemy void rays), I still lost by a small but significant margin In another game, I did a 4gate attack on the enemy Protoss expo but failed miserably. I was able to buy some time shortly afterwards with some oracle harass, but his army came to my base. I was pretty certain I was about to lose, but I prepared built a few void rays along with some stalkers and zealots. I checked, and his army (of stalkers, immortals and some zealots and sentries) had a +20 supply count over mine, but despite that, I was able to beat him with only losing a few units -- my void rays' focus-fire was just SO strong, and each enemy stalker died in about a second. I know my small sentry wall-off helped, but I'm certain I would have won regardless (albeit with more unit deaths) because my army was fairly healthy afterwards. A few minutes later I pushed with more void rays against a full stalker ball and won with just a few VR deaths So I'm wondering.. what exactly is the counter to void rays as protoss, besides more void rays? Stalkers are armored and die too fast to void ray focus. I suppose one could blink micro the void ray focus but there's still a small ground army to contend with. Phoenixes are super mobile and don't die as fast but their dps sucks. Sentries also mitigate lots of damage from these two units. Tempests and carriers are T3 units and take too long to produce (and anyway, void rays do bonus damage to them). I'm left clueless about how to deal with them in a way that doesn't involve insane micro (blink micro, upgraded phoenix kiting, etc). Does anyone else struggle against them as toss, and what are the general strategies against them?asdasdasd18 Jul 29
Jul 29 In need to some tips to enjoy Toss Hello there, Returning player here who's never really played on the ladder before. I've only recently started to play ranked and was trying other races out to learn them a little. And I've come to the conclusion that protoss is not fun to me... I'm not enjoying playing them! I'm not saying I don't know what toss can do, I've been playing starcraft since the early days... Just not on a competitive level... I loved the campain and some toss coop commanders, but when it comes to multi I don't seem to find builds that I have fun testing like when playing the other 2 races... I guess its probably a matter of preference/playstyle... But if anyone can enlighten me, it would be much appreciated. Thx. P.S. Sorry for the potential bad english, its not my first language...Urdrak1 Jul 29
Jul 27 Toss air op in teams? Anyone else notice toss air has been a little op in 4s ever since the nerf to para bomb? Just seems like 90% of all protoss players in high diamond to high masters in 4v4 are just going for cannon rush into voids. I remember it not being as bad about a year ago (been on hiatus that long) but para bomb put an end to those shenanigans. I noticed Terran thors got a neat little range extend but noticed I'm better off making 6 corruptors and 4 infestors rather than 6 vipers.SomeBK4 Jul 27
Jul 27 Glaives or +1 vs T and Z I think the general opinion is for +1. But doesn't an Adept get a whole extra Atk with Glaives? I am asking especially for Phoenix adept in PVT ThanksNeptune1 Jul 27
Jul 20 Noob dealing with mass void ray/carriers I'm a new player, been playing for a month and a half, didn't have much trouble than concerd me except dealing in pvp against (well, cannon rush, but thats a different question) and some people massing void rays or even void rays + carriers. They have 0 ground units. I tend to build 4 gateways and a robo and pull a reasonable groudn army, and I try to scout as much as I can to know what I'm dealing with, but when I have a large ground army and scout like 15 void rays or like 6 carriers (also some people usually go forge and make a ton of cannons so its difficult for me to try to take their base before they reach tier 3) I sometimes don't have time to switch or maybe don't know how to. I tried making a ton of Stalkers with a few of Sentries for mass carriers with some void rays of my own, and tried Blink Stalkers for void rays with some phoenixes.Fakus7 Jul 20
Jul 20 Starting with Warpgate What do you think about starting the game with warpgate for gateway units?cannedbeans1 Jul 20
Jul 19 HT bad in PvP I recently been told that HT are bad in PvP. I was wondering why, and if I should just morph them into archons.Fakus7 Jul 19
Jul 19 Why do zealots still say, "My life for Aiur!" The protoss zealots always say My life for Aiur! when they're warped but isn't Aiur destroyed/infested by the zerg? If so please explain if you can. Thanks!MysteryEC44 Jul 19
Jul 16 Protoss Purchasable Tal'darim Skin Change Recently Alarak was added as one of the co-op heroes. When I played him I was both pleased and slightly annoyed that the buildings had a Tal'darim skin change. I was annoyed because I feel like there's so many unused Tal'darim skins, and I know they were used in campaign and co-op but still I feel like there's more potential. That's why I feel like there should be a purchasable Tal'darim skin change. I don't what to say if this task is easy or not, but I feel like it would be (I have no idea). I feel like it's easy because almost all of the Protoss building and unit skins have a Tal'darim counterpart. Also I think that this could be profitable. Like I said earlier, recently Alarak was added as one of the co-op heroes so this must be making a decent amount of money, right? I don't have much experience programming games but I would think its easier to do a skin change than it is to balance and pick a new hero. So if the Tal'darim skin change was charged for the same amount as a new hero, then I think that the money would be decent for the amount of work. In conclusion I think that there should be a purchasable Tal'darim skin change because I still think it would be fairly easy, and the money from it (I would think) would be decent.reaperEX10 Jul 16
Jul 15 Upgrade for Immortal So a lot of Protoss players (myself included) feel like our race lacks a solid mid game army composition. This complain is centered around 2 major problems. 1) countering the ling, bane ,hydra army 2) countering bio army with tanks or lib without having to go always to adept-phoenix composition. We always wanted this unit that is not gimmicky or solely based on the usage of abilities but provides instead a solid, reliable solution. So my suggestion (and please try to be openminded) is a mid game upgrade for the immortal which can be researched from the robotic bay (like external lances). Lets name it Blast cannon!!! Name- blast cannon Cost-200m/150gas Time-100s Effect- The immortal attack has a very small radius aoe to light units only. The aoe can be 25% of the normal attack to a radius similar or a little smaller of the Archon's one. What will that accomplish 1) It will give the much desired mid game solid army composition Protoss needs 2)It is not an ability that requires activation to be of usage (like adept, stalker,sentry, disruptor, ht, dt, phoenix, void ray, oracle.....) 3) Does not come into play early enough to promote all ins 5) Enchases the possibilities for positional play and better control from both sides. The one with the immortals must actively target down the denser part of the army in order for the aoe to apply. His/her opponent will have to position and split his army better. Now lets examine the match-ups PVZ provides a solution vs hydra, ling, bane without being an overkill and without having to relay on perfect ff to win or lose. Still vulnerable to the Muta switch. At last lets not forget that at that point in the game the zerg player should already split vs disruptors, Storms or for maximal damage(banes). PVT provides a solution for the dreaded two base pushes without 1)affecting mech 2) hurting marauders AND 3) needing to go adept-phoenix or turtle to collosus PVP vs adept armies it does provides an edge. But then you can build disruptors against a player who goes heavy on immortals P vs Workers-they dont stack enough Overlapping with the Archon- Not only it does not attack air, its a different path to take. Thoughts??? I really think that modifications can and should be made to my suggestion. But i think the concept is correct. Personally I am a Diam Protoss although that does not have a lot to do with the topic in question. The main concern is to bring back all these retired Protoss players and make the race more fun to play THANKS!!!Neptune9 Jul 15
Jul 14 New Player Early Game Advice Needed Hello everyone, As I mentioned in another thread I'm generally new to the Multiplayer game, I'm a Random player, and presently playing Unranked. Usually Battle.net is matching me against Gold League opponents right now, and my overall win percentage is 54% after 39 games. My win percentage as Protoss, however, is only 28%, and I'm looking to improve that a lot. Ironically I find I'm good with Protoss against the Versus AI, but not so much against real people. Typically I open with an Oracle harass (with two Oracles) and I tend to do this well, my problem is following that up; I either don't fully understand the unit compositions needed for Protoss and/or I'm making to few units. I typically make one, maybe two Zealots out of that first Gateway regardless of the Race I'm against, and then I usually start getting some Adepts while my Oracles are Warping In. Against Terran, I know Adepts are generally better early game than Zealots due to mobility and bonus to Light units, but what about against Zerg and Protoss? For Protoss I'm starting to think I should generally skip Adepts and go straight for Stalkers to help with their Oracles early on, and to negate any bonus damage from their Adepts. I usually Warp In about three Gateways overall at first, and then follow up with a Robotics Facility for a few Immortals. Thoughts/advice?Juxtapose5 Jul 14
Jul 9 How to deal anti-air as Protoss? :/ Sorry for a noob question. :/ How to deal anti-air as Protoss? :/ When I was Terran, Marines and Viking took care of anti-air but as Protoss I have difficulty handling anti-air. Corrupter eats Colossi and Brood Load has such long range :( Stalkers and Archons are my most units of anti-air but they are usually busy dealing ground DPS, than air......HelpHan9 Jul 9
Jul 8 what beats zealot archon combo So I heatd zealot archon is very good if there not going colli so I am going to assume that colli beats zealot archon combo?Mrjellop8 Jul 8
Jul 6 How do the Protoss measure time? The Protoss couldn't have measured time in Earth-years prior to their contact with the Terrans (since they didn't know anything at all about Earth prior to their contact with the Terrans), and they would have had little enough reason to change the way they measured time afterward. I would assume that they measured time in Aiur-years, since Aiur was their homeworld. Maybe the Nerazim measured time in Shakuras-years instead. Speaking of which, do we have any information about the revolutionary period of Aiur (or any other planet, for that matter)?Paviel0 Jul 6
Jul 6 How to deal with early pushes as Protoss I just started playing and have already lost twie against an early push of marines + tanks and a lot of hydralisk. In the hydralisk game I ceratainly didnt build enough troops, but the other game the opponent build too many. He built half my workers but he created like 15 marines and 2 tanks (and i think 2 medavacs), i had like 4 inmortals and like 6 adepts (with mamacore), but lose the 6 adepts inmidiatly against the tanks and marines basically destroyed my inmortals. What should I do against this types of pushes? My opponent didn't even take the second base, he jsut turtle and spawned marines, i had the second base been spamming troops whenever I could, built portals, but he still had more troops and more powerful (checked replay and mariens had +1 attack, i couldn't even get the armor upgrade which i usually take first against terran because of time not minerals)Fakus6 Jul 6
Jul 4 Is zealot a completely worthless unit ? Whose only purpose in game is to serve as a meat shield ? Did adepts make them 100% useless ? Or can I actually make an effective zealot-based army in some cases ? I just think they're a badass unit, I love their voice, the concept of a melee fighter that dies to save his world and all, I fell in love with this unit in the LOTV cinematic But they feel so weakFeitan10 Jul 4
Jun 30 Youtube content for Protoss in English Hello guys ! I'm zuka, a french protoss player (reached GM this saeson on NA and 5400 MMR on Europe). I did some posts months ago about this but i added english content on my Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/zukaingame I do weekly VODs for protoss (every saturday) on many subjects : Build order, guides, explanation about how to counter specific things etc... for beginners or better players. Some english guys came on my youtube channel and they asked me to do some of my videos in English. So now i try to do weekly content in English too :) You can find this videos at the moment (you can ask for more if you want) : - PvT - Easy build order - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ZWB9C9s5k - PvZ - Easy build order - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VhuPS5XnwQ - Scouting in PvP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRlGlPALHoQzuka4 Jun 30
Jun 27 New Player I am new to sc2 and I was wondering if anybody could give me a basic build order that I could follow. I have read that it is better to use one build order until I have mastered it. Any additional advice would be appreciated.naamPH9 Jun 27
Jun 25 Upgrade question In regards to the prtoss shield upgrade: I never see pros use this upgrade and I'm wondering why. Does it stack with protoss armor upgrade? Why is armor better than shield? I'm obviously missing something about this so please be as detailed as you can. Thanks. P.s. I'm a zerg with very little toss experience.NoNoUDo4 Jun 25
Jun 23 Plat Level Protoss In Need of Help! So I was able to make it to plat fairly easily but I seem to have hit a wall. I was just wondering what things I should be focusing on. My macro is pretty decent, I can usually get 3 bases and 65-70 probes by around 6-7:30 mins just depending on what my opponent does. However I haven't been doing a whole lot of harass. I'll send in the occasional 2 adepts but I've been trying to focus more on my macro until now but I feel that I need to start harassing more, I just don't know how. Here is my basic strat vs the races (obviously it depends on what they do but generally this is what I do in a macro game). PvP- 2 gate expand into stalkers, immos, and chargelots. Usually push around 8 mins. PvZ- 1 gate expand (walling off) into Glave Adepts, chargelots, and a bunch of archons. 7-8 min push. PvT- 1 gate expand into glave adepts and immos. Sometimes I will try to get collosis out as well. 8 min push. (usually bring about 3-4 sentries with my army as well and a warp prism) Any help would be great. Like what did you guys focus on to get to diamond?Nordy3 Jun 23
Jun 20 PvZ tips for not losing 90% of the matches? Hi, Silver player here. I feel everything I throw vs Zerg is wrong or just doesn't work. I usually watch videos in YT about PvZ strategies but none of them did work properly. Against Zerg I always do the basics: FFE to hold off rushes and I try to keep tech up as much as I can, even with two forges. Things I tried: - Proxy pylon + gateway near the zerg natural. Spawning Adepts to kill drones in natural or making general pressure. - Rushing chargelots. - Proxy Stargate hidden somewhere and rushing Void Ray. This is actually the best strategy that worked for me against zerg, because most zerg players in my tier go mass roach. - DT warping harass. This only works the first time because once the first DT is spotted, the zerg usually starts spamming spores everywhere. I have been working with my macro, trying to always keep producing probes and pylons. But it doesn't matter what I do, I always lose to the massive fast zerg expansion and economy. Should I cheese more? Pressure more? Because it seems I don't know what to do against -for example- a ball of roaches/hydras. And I can't react as quickly as a zerg that can basically change 100% of the strategy in a second. I feel as Protoss I have to do a lot of things just to survive the early game. Not that I actually win in late game (Silver, remember) but well... you know. Any tips, mechanics, unit compositions or examples would be great. Thanks.Tomdan10 Jun 20
Jun 19 Should ff be redesign I was thinking how map design effects toss by how well one can place ff by how big area or how micro tensile trying to get coverage. So my idea is turn it into wall type that one would cover 3 ff. How I see it in my head ones you see in over watch or league of legends wall that blocks incoming damage. The sentry would cast at 9 range I think draw back would that sentry would be Chaneling this where it can't move.lonedog0 Jun 19
Jun 13 What is the best way to beat Hydra Bane? Recently, in every game I play against Z, my opponent goes hydra bane and straight out rolls over me. What army comp should I do against that? Or the only choice I have is micro my heart out?Whiteshadow3 Jun 13