Zerg Discussion

Sep 12, 2010 Burrowed Neural Parasite Bannable? Is using Neural Parasite while burrowed by clicking burrow and then NP really fast a bannable offense? Kinda always on the line with these sort of tricks and whether they are bannable or not.Crensh29 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Is Zerg really good at Expanding? I get it. Out hatchery costs 50 less minerals. Wow. But is the Zerg a race that's exceptionally good at making and keeping extra bases? Compared to the other 2 races? Yes we ABSOLUTELY NEED the extra bases to keep up with the other race's macro, forcing the Zerg players to learn to expand well with good timing, but just looking at the RACIAL TRAITS, is this a good race to: 1. Make lots of expansions 2. Keep the expansions safe 3. Use the expansions efficiently We Zerg have a mobile army that can be in several places at once, giving us an advantage in keeping our expansions safe. But since our mobility is tremendously hindered off creep, our expansion site choices become incredibly obvious. If we choose to expand to sites where creep has not reaches yet, our only option is to pray and hope that our army can reach there in time while the drones die off. Nydus Worm is a decent option and it can definitely help with defending expansions, as it did in BW. But its cost does not come cheap. Terran has the ability to Lift Off bases, and land them anywhere, including islands for a much longer uninterrupted mining time before it gets scouted. For high-yield expansions, an expansions that are closer to the enemy base, they have an option to go Planetary Fortress, which has proven to be near indestructible. They can mine minerals faster and more efficiently, since they have another option to go Orbital Command and pump out MULES, upping their income stream by nearly 15% i believe. This is not a QQ IMBA thread. I'd like to hear some thoughts on if Zerg is a race that's good at expanding.Geemsean21 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 ZZZ v ZPP Protoss players can be so stupid. We're up against triple zerg, who are undoubtedly going to do a full on rush - and you're doing what? Void rays. So while I'm doing all I can to try to fend off a full-on triple ling/roach push, you have... 1 void ray. Gee I hope no one builds corruptors or hydras... grumble grumble /pointless rant GameGeny2 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Larvae re-spawn time How do you believe the balance of the game would be affected if larvae were on a 5 second re-spawn timer instead of 7 seconds?Vashi1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Hikaru no Starcraft The more I read up about the professional side of SC2 the more I feel like I'm reading Hikaru no Go, only with SC2 instead of Go. You've got young people blowing off their education to play a game professionally, intense rivalries, super advanced strategies (timing attacks) that the lay player can't execute, international tournaments with a niche community of overzealous fans, and finally I have it on good authority that a 5000 year old ghost who used to play an ancient version of SC has been haunting Idra for several years. edit: oops this probably belongs in a different forum sorryJosiwe7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 How do I track my APM? Lotta people talk about their actions per minute. Where is that tracked in game? How can I check what mine is?Longshot2 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 2 Small Suggestion for Future Zerg Updates I just thought of 2 really small things that seemed reasonable to change for zerg for future updates. 1. Make an burrow and unborrow seperate commands/buttons/hotkeys. That way, when the user is controlling a group of units, half of which are burrowed, they can choose what they want to do. Also, the user would be less likely to accidentally unburrow when they are trying to burrow or vice versa. Accidentally doing the wrong one can be an issue in the heat of the battle, especially if the user has to hit the hotkey twice to get what they want, and hitting it a third time screws them over. 2. Allow creep tumors to build on ramps. It seems to me the only reason they can't build on ramps in the first place, is because they're classified as buildings, and it would take some work to fix that. I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be built on ramps, but if you have a good argument, please share. Like I said, two very small things that I think would help out zerg players.Mainland3 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 How do you break a turtle? Usually when I'm up against a terran, once they get the wall-off up on their natural, I can't break in or shake things up until it's too late and his MMM blob is complete and ready to rampage across the map. I lost a game against a terran who turtled hard with tanks and the usual bioball and then started sending out ghosts to try to nuke things. He didn't get to pull a nuke off, but I got impatient and tried to assault after a few minutes of dealing with harassment, and my whole army just melted away from the attempt. What am I supposed to do, deny expansion attempts until he starves out?RotG24 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 The AA problem. I know that every one ( including blizz) thinks that hydras should stay in t2, but I think we need a little more AA, and a ranged unit ( vs wall offs...lolbanelings.) I say we make hydras do 7-9 dmg instead of 12, but keep the attack speed the same, and make it cost 75 minerals and 25-35 gas. I do alright in 1v1's but i dont play those often, and vs zerg it seems like its a race to who can spam the most mutas and lings. it just seems like im forced to go mutas in almost every game. BobakTXL7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 ZPvTT Heavy Infestor Play vs Thor MMM ball. Im linking a Replay of me and a buddy playing double terran, which is a really hard matchup. A couple of good players in this replay, Raynor is in Diamond 2v2 and Graph is a platinum level player. Myself and Jonnyrb are stuck in Gold but we pulled off a good win against this team. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78702-2v2-terran-protoss-zerg-twilight-fortress#rd:dna Some information you can pull off of this like is that both terran Reaper Rushed, for quite awhile actually, and my strat is listed as infestor thought most the game I was Ling/Bane, and my partner jonnyrb actually did 4 gate robo. If you have trouble with thor's I highly advise you watch how I countered them, this is almost the only way I can think of easily doing it, being that siege tanks will take out your lings and ultra's/Broodlords take a long time to get. Also I am not the best of players so if you have any advice feel free to throw it my way.Crensh8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 How do you beat mass stalkers? I was playing a 1v1 vs a Protoss and he made his chokepoint hard to move through and massed stalkers at the top. Because of this I couldn't get baneling up the ramp to destroy the wall, and because of the choke Zergling couldn't get up either. Then he started coming for my base so I built a crapton of speedling. Because he had so may stalker, I couldn't achieve a surround. Is there anything you can do against it?Severin19 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Zerg can't counter-attack early-mid game Scenario #1: - T or P does the first push against Zerg (4-gate, MM ball, etc...). - The push fails. Now Zerg tries to counter attack. This counter attack has a VERY LOW chance of winning the game. Scenario #2: - Zerg does the first push against T or P - The push fails. Now T or P tries to counter attacks. This counter attack has a HIGH chance of winning the game. It is low risk and high reward to attack the Zerg base for T or P, but not the other way around. JohnOldman23 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 I'm pretty sure hatcheries cost 350. It's really just a misthought on the way you think about it. Version A: I create 2 drones, both are for mining. I take 1 off the mineral line to make a hatchery so I technically have to "replace it" and it costs 300+50+50=400. Version B: I create 2 drones. 1 is for mining, 1 is to make a hatchery. I use the one to make a hatchery to, well, make a hatchery. I don't have to replace it because it was made to make a building so the cost of the hatchery is 300+50=350. The problem with Version A is the idea that you add in the replacement cost. Otherwise the Mule's energy cost would continue to add up because you have to constantly "replace it." Snailboto19 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Perfect Example of Terran Tier 1 power In this game, MonDragon vs BratOk fight on Xel'naga caverns. Throughout the entire game the zerg "overpowers" the terran and the terran basically eeks by. The zerg take over half of the map leaving the terran with 3 bases and continuously drops one of his bases leaving him to 2. Each time, even outnumbered by income, army, tech, the terran seems to not only beat the zerg back but do damage to the zerg. The zerg outnumbers the army heavily, out techs the army heavily, out does the terran army except for one part. The terran ends up pumping nothing but cheap marines and marauders. The zerg does everything he can to try to defeat the terran, all but summoning the queen of blades herself just to defeat the measly low tech terran force. The raven shines in this game due to PDD, the auto turrets seem to do well but are plucked away by the zerg. However the true power displayed is in the marine and marauders. At fully upgrades, the marine and marauder show that they are true Tier 3 units when combined with medivacs and not even ultralisks could think to challenge them. Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NAszqrp3aw Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHa-sQKUcgM Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQ-t9CgCRISphinxks2 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 How do you deal with terran unpredictablility I often scout, but when I see a tech lab on a barracks, I ask myself "Is he going reapers? Or marauders?", if I see a tech lab on a starport, I ask myself "Is he going vikings, medivacs, banshees?", if I see a tech lab on a factory, I ask myself "Is he going tanks or thors?" When the terran sees my roach warren, he knows I'm going roaches, if he sees my spires, he knows i'm going mutas, if he sees my hydra den, he knows I'm going hydra. Not that I'm trying to QQ, but how do you guys deal with this difficult (for me) situation?Dragon4 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 ZvT - Rush to Thor question I have a legit question on how to handle the situation from this replay included. This is a mid level diamond 1v1 play - http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78906-1v1-terran-zerg-lost-temple I'm sure I could have some some different macro decisions throughout the game, but I thought I had this enemy beat twice but could not finish him. In particular when he had 3 maraders and 1 thor and I had 8 lings and 8 roaches. I feel I should have won, but he pulled most his SCVs off his line and my zerglings decided to run in circles instead of attacking the thor - since they couldn't get in to him. Is there a way to get your army to attack SCVs instead without having to shift click each SCV? That just doesn't make sense with zerglings since they are melee. The 2nd time I nydus'ed into his base - it was not as productive as I would have thought. Looking for real feedback. Thanks!Greymason6 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Roaches should get a range upgrade. I think a good balance to Terrans 5 barracks reaper is to give roaches an upgrade like the hydras, so they get more range. Nothing more to say =DMagicalTrev5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Looking for advice Diamond Zerg vs. Terran Game I'm not sure what I could have done better. I guess I could have spent my extra minerals on more fast lings but I didn't have that much larva... any advice? replay: http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=148280Lone1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 I hate to ask this Ok i am in bronze. its was TVZ I basically had tripple his APM And he still won How? We were on the map blistering sands.. i had an over lord by the rocks so he could nnot back door OO wait he gets 2 medivacs drops one siege tank and a %@** load of marauders and marines. They had stim. i sent my 10 banelings in his marauders took the hits only 3 died ^^ i send my mutas in also his marines own me. My zerglings get !%#*ed because of his siege tank.. Btw he did not plan to block my banelings with his marauders they were just in the way because they got dropped off first by the medivac. My average Apm was around 100 his was like 17 to 25.. Now Apm does not judge but WTF! I more or less want to know what i COULD of done in this situation? Devildog7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Diamond league made it to the diamond league another zerg player working his way to the topSwiftKiller1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Finally out of silver! 158 games later....finally promoted to gold!! no more silver for meee Next stop...PLATINUM MuppetMan5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Criticize my replay verse turtle Protoss Please give me suggestions on what I can do better verse a turtling Protoss. I beat him but I feel like I might have been able to beat him earlier. Anyone can give suggestions no matter what league. Also The replay is about 30 minutes but skip through it if you want. Also I know I'm in Silver but I'm 15-1 over the last week of play and ranked around high 20's I think I will be out of it soon if I get more favored opponents. http://screplays.com/replays/matt74/8488Matt0 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Give Broodlords Scourge Ability? I was just thinking, would it be super OP to give the 300/250 T3.5 air unit that can only attack ground a 50 energy ability to spawn a scourge to attack an air unit? I wouldnt see it as OP, more as just something to put it on the field of BC's or Carriers. It would give it a chance to have energy and use it for something, instead of being "that unit" that sits at the back of the army and helps out a little. I personally love BL's, but I would love for them to have something so they dont get immediately killed by a viking or two. AJj19 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Playing Equal Skill Stunts My Growth Anybody else here in the lower leagues feel they are not getting better because they are playing people just as good or worse than them? I would really like to play a couple diamond and platinum players now and then just to see what my real weaknesses are. I feel the league system can stunt my growth as a player. BigGayMarine7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Blizzard no love for zergs? in sc1, Zerg and Toss were popular because these race were aggressive. Most Terran player just turtle and play defense.... In any sports, any "defending" team is perceived as chicken, boring, etc. sc2 NA:650k players Korea:250k players Eu:450K Why such a low population for korea when we all know sc is big there? Probably because old school pros still playing bw Why ESl, MLG, GSL zergs are having a hard time? 1) Terran is the easier race, and is a bit OP (new patch 1.1 Terrans get most nerf, pros like Morrow agree that T is a tad OP). Generally it takes a zerg with higher skills to beat a terran within the same division, the extra skills should compensate for the terran easiness. It was also true for P players when MMM terran was the "ultimate" thing to do to win vs P. 2) Terran is the most popular race. Blizz probably intended to make terran easy since the campaign is terran. Amateurs new to sc will mostly play terran as well in ladder since they got used to terran from campaign. By makign sure terran is easy, chance are these amateurs will win more often, feel comfortable playign ladder ---> therefore get hooked on ladder... bottom line, customer retention/loyalty = long term profits for blizz. Why in NA, EU people say T is OP while in korea P is OP? The low population of sc2 players in korea (250k) should indicated that BW is still highly played. The GSL, MLG, ESL show how zerg ARE UP since old school zerg players are having a hard time while old school toss players are doing better. In between the lines, I'm saying that P are more equipped to handle easy Terrans than zergs. After pros have struggled a bit vs easy terrans, they are now able to show just why they love toss so much (from sc1 years of gaming exp) and are able to shine, example MLG, GSL. In other words, for business practical sense we can understand why Terran is easy/OP. It's to get new amateur hooked on sc2. Blizz had to choose a victim and they decided the zergs. 1)Terran, Toss have cliff walk units. 2)They aren't macro intensive compare to zergs. 3)Let's face it, ladders shows there's more Terran and Toss in top 200. 4)Terran has most options (more options = more fun) 5)Toss have more spammable moves ff, storms, feedback, hallu, warpgate (more spamming is fun) It just seems like blizz has zero love for zerg. Conclusion it's a constant qq of T is OP, P is OP but bottom line zerg is UP. Kunkka5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Some idea....Lurkers I know I'm not too great at the game....But hear me out. Lurkers....I see no reason why these were taken out.....They worked so well is so many situations. Now here is just a basic idea from my head what the stats would be. Lurker morphs from roach. Research from roach warren to Evolve lurker While roach is burrowed. Requires Lair or Hive. You can morph lurkers as soon as lair is completed. Attack 20 + 5 to light Upgrade benefit 2 Armor 2 Upgrade benefit 1 Move speed should be the same as it was in SCI and the burrow time too. Cost 75/150/3 Time 70 Before you say that Roaches are the replacement to the lurker please think. Thoughts? Antarctickid1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Do zerglings become *armored* with carapace? Zerglings have 0 armor and considered Light (so stalkers/immortals don't have bonus dmg on them) but if I research +1 carapace (or more) do they become armored? Do 'bonus against armored' units do bonus damage to upgraded zerglings? I can't find an answer with googling :(DARKO7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Early Roach aggression. This is always a play that interests me, ive seen it on a few live streams of early roach / ling aggression versus terran and toss. does anyone have any tips or have any replays or early ling roach play? ~~thanks Thik17 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 First games as Zerg looking for criticism Hey there I used to play Protoss but recently decided I also wanted to be able to play as zerg. This replay is of me dealing with a cheeser. Yes he's bad and yes it was an easy win butb I just want to know if I was doing anything wrong with my zerg play becasue I am so used to toss. Thanks in advance Replay:http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/79034-1v1-protoss-zerg-lost-temple#rd:dnaShale3 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Ask Me a Question about Zerg! 1050 Point Diamond Player who would love to answer any questions about my favorite race and how I play them. I'm a little bored and love to review replays, so post them if you want. ASK ANYTHING! GO! I will answer EVERY question no matter how silly or how many times I have been asked!KillaKiwi34 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Bansheezzz SKILLCAPPED.NET TvZ on Steppes I expanded at about 21 from my main I made 2 Queens and then immediately upgraded to Lair and then right into a Spire probably 15 seconds after I made it made a Muta but right as the Muta came out he had 6 or so Banshees which killed my Spire and then my Queen and then backed. Started creating another Spire but takes fo ev a to build and he had 8 Banshees and 2 Vikings by the time it was half way done and I lost. It's like there isn't any one thing that is OP about Terran it's just that they have SO MANY viable options that it's impossible to be prepared against all of them...it's really hard to scout because they usually are walled off or if you do get in it's before anything that hints at a build is done...idk. =(laxlol4 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Those games made me cry. http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/admin/a_replays.php?dl=36963 http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/admin/a_replays.php?dl=36959 http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/admin/a_replays.php?dl=36965 :(Nevy19 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Creep could cause damage Just a funny idea. If creep could slowly damage terran and protoss units that would put them on the defensive just that little bit more. Giving zerg the expanding edge and a slightly better defense. Half of zergs stuff seems to be acidic anyway why not the creep?BMetal5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Need some help improving as the zerg First of all, what is this magic box everyone speaks of? And how do I pull it off? Second, when should I expand in a game, and how should I defend it?Traineddeath1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Gold 1v1 ZvP troubles Just made gold a couple days ago, and now what was once an easy match up versus protoss, now im having trouble against them. Im finding it hard to scout enough to see more than 2 gateways, so I make roaches to counter those ground units I know are coming. However, either my roaches arent enough to deal with stalkers/zealots/sentries, or they make a gateway or two then speed to void rays. I have tried 1 base roach, trying to tech to hydras/infestors, but they put to much pressure on me early with that SZS ball. I tried fast expand, but that puts me behind in unit production, and again the protoss have much more units than I do. Fast expand also makes me vulnerable to the void rays. Also, speedlings don't seem too effective against early protoss units. The sentries block off surrounds, and they are super squishy to the zealots. So what is the best strategy? Do I stay one base, try to tech, fend off attacks and try to survive long enough to get infestors and some hydras? Do I expand early? Either way, it seems the protoss are always pressuring me and are able to field units much faster.justBODIES8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Thor/MMM Is there any real way to counter this? I was just playing a game where the terran quickly got 1-2 thors and a siege to support some MMM. I was rushing to get ultralisks but couldn't get them in time due to the obscene amt of tech needed to get to them. He tore apart my mutas and zerglings. WTF could I have done?Copola5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Diary of a Zergling(s) Day 1: Born at a hatchery. Ran around with my twin brother and-OH MY GOSH!!! *Was killed by SCV's* Day 1: Born at a hatchery. Sat around for a while with a bunch of other Zerglings. Day 1.5: Got wings- cool, but even better- Queen of Blades issued all Zerglings 4 cans of monster/day. Bottom line- I run real fast now. Day 1.51: ordered to go inside a big fat guy. Wow this sucks. He keeps mocking us with his nice iPhone. Being cramped in here with 8 drooling members of your own family. We don't like to talk about it. Day 1.6: Loud commotion outside. I wonder if it's a disco party! Day 1.601: it's not a Disco party. We fall to the ground and and our "Host" explodes in a pile of grey goo. We swarm a lone marine and eat his guts. He was good. Day 1.9: We sit around the campfire and sing songs about the good old days. Day 2: Leave the campsite and are asked to dig our way underground. Day 2.1: Feel a siege tank roll over our backs. WORST. BACK MASSAGE. EVER. Day 2.2: Dig out of the ground. Half my Friends turn green and are really fat. And smell. And explode. The green goo that remains of them is very tasty so I decide to eat it. Worst decision ever. *Dies* Day 1: Born at a Lai-- *A large mushroom cloud appears over their no longer existing heads*Elrond4 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Beating the Protoss ball help Ive played a couple games against protoss where they have just a ball of collosus, zealots, stalkers, and senturys. I have thrown a full 200/200 army at it and lost my whole army doing little damage. I am wondering if there is a way to beat this. BTW I had 2 extra bases more than the protoss. Is this protoss ball just like the one in SC1 of the reaver, ht, archon, and zealot. Where that was nearly impossible to beat.nyunana1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 BEST ZVZ STRAT EVAR Okay, first and foremost i drunkz. 2nd,y u take BOTH ERXTRACTS WITH # 8 and 9 drone!!! but u must go together in a pair so red riding hood wolf doesnt get u then u go go spawn pool and go go baneling next and then u go go attack with banelings and micro and u tell them to get on your lvl b4 they quit cuz they are very upset at that time Or, u tell them theres a cheese shop in mall of america. (this is true, i live in mn, and it smells bad) anyway, i have replays, but cant focus so u can all imagine this strat then go try please discuss tyMalpractice8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Hatcheries = How many? (Barraks\Gateway) I was just curious, wanted to get some perspective. How many Barraks/Gateways/Warpgates is the equivalent in unit production to a Hatch + Queen?Connatic7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Counter-Intuitive Things to Know About Zerg Hey zergies, this is a thread to help out zergs with some of the counter-intuitive things about the zerg race. Blizzard unfortunately has added more counter-intuitive ideas even after the whole larva-thing. T1 AA Almost every zerg player will get hit by an air rush and just sit completely baffled at how to counter it. The answer is queens. Queens are a solid, competent, extremely cost effective anti-air unit. Transfusion makes them exponentially stronger the more there are. However it is "birthed" from a hatchery one at a time, making people think that its only purpose is rudimentary base defense and the spawn larva mechanic. Counter-intuitive though it may be, queens are exceptional anti-air units. Against battlecruisers and carriers, they are even more cost-effective than hydralisks. Corruptors I have seen several threads trying to use corruptors against void rays. Unfortunately, void rays are the one air unit that corruptors don't work well against. Because of corruptors high armor, high health, and decent damage, they do exceptionally well against phoenixes and mutalisks (along with the more obvious battlecruisers and carriers). Phoenixes do very little damage to corruptors, and mutalisk splash doesn't work well on the high armor. Due to the +massive tag, most people think they are only cost-effective against massive, but this is not true. Spawn Larva A design issue, but the purpose of Blizzard adding the macro mechanics (MULE, chronoboost and Spawn Larva) was to give us a feeling that we have to go back to our bases to manage them. Therefore spawn larva will never be autocast, and probably not be able to be queued up. It is counterintuitive, but spawn larva is not meant to be autocast despite how tedious it seems. Marauders and Stalkers Against a large amount of marauders and stalkers, a full surround with zerglings will often not be "good enough" to be cost effective against. The best solution to this is actually roaches (assuming you don't have hydras or mutas). If you mix in roaches with your attack (even though they are "countered" by marauders and stalkers) it enables you to do much more damage than just with zerglings, throwing the cost effectiveness back in your favor. Think of it this way: they either attack the zerglings and do less damage, or they attack the roaches and receive more damage (because zerglings do more DPS). You will sometimes need to build Roaches to beat Stalkers and Marauders. I'll probably come up with some more later. Those are probably the biggest ones though.DoubleReed22 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Just had a breakthrough revelation! So at my peak I was rank 2 diamond . . . and ever since then it's been less and less fun to try and play since I was instinctively trying to win against (at times) opponents I didn't have a prayer against. The worst offender was any match that took place on Delta Quadrant, where early expanding is basically not viable, and every player gets a 'safe' expansion inside their base. The second-worst was any ZvT on Xel'Naga caverns where for the entire early game I could either build to defend a bunker rush (10pool), or build to actually play the game (13pool)+speedling-expand. And yet my opponent could get a free-wall which utterly negated any attempt on my part to rush. So here's my breakthrough: I'm playing for fun, NOT for rankings. Sure I want a solid competition, but I also don't want to whine, complain, and *#%#@ about the ploys used against me on matchups that strike me as imbalanced. So the solution: If you *truly* don't care about your rankings, then resign! Every time I start a match on DQ I say gl hf gg and resign. Every ZvT on XelNaga lasts less than thirty seconds due to the same tactic. And then I re-roll and hopefully get a better matchup. Sure, I'll never be top-diamond this way. But at the same time I'll be playing the matches I *want* to play! It's so empowering :). I've already clawed my way to the top once, I don't need to fight to stay there. Maybe after v1.5, when the kinks are worked out, after 2-3 'ICCUP-style' maps get popular, and the game is rebalanced I'll try my hand at becoming top-dog again. For now I'm content to play the way I want to play the matches I want to play. **** rank. I'll probably still stay in diamond thanks to the bonus-pool system. And if not, I'll eventually get promoted back in or demoted further out since my opponents will always have a 45-55% chance of winning against me (hail matchmaking!). -AHMADKingOfBlades2 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Upgrades: An Exploration So, this is my crack at a long thread about the upgrades that all of the races have available, and what they do for the player. I've long felt that Terrans and Protoss upgrades are more useful than those available to the Zerg (other than, of course, the obligatory +attack and +armor upgrades). So, I'll try to go unit by unit, and explore those "flavor" upgrades that give the game variety. I'm leaving out caster units, because they all have a few upgrades and are pretty balanced, but will spare a blurb to say that Neural Parasite is pretty terrible. Terran: Marine: Combat Shield: +10 health, roughly 20% health increase. Stim Pack: Increased movement and firing speed (by 50%) for the loss of 10 health (covered by Combat Shield). Marauder: Concussive Shells: Slows targets, gives Marauders insane kiting ability along with Stim Packs. Reaper: Nitro Packs: Boosting the speed of an already speedy, mobile unit Hellion: Infernal Pre-Igniter: Boosts damage to light +10. Massacres all light units, including workers. Kind of the only way to make these stupid things useful, though. Siege Tank: Siege Mode: Already getting a nerf. Will still leave these the best static defenses in game, as well as capable of moving and having siege range. Earliest siege unit by far, for any race. Banshees: Cloaking. Makes Banshees very lethal for harass, but not really difficult to deal with. Battlecruiser: Yamato Cannon: Defeats counters, for example Corruptors. A real problem IMO, but they're not used much. Protoss: Zealot: Charge: Useful speed boost and makes them far more difficult to kite. Stalker: Blink: Huge speed boost to a fast unit, allows cliff walking, gives huge tactical advantages. Colossus: Extended Thermal Lances: Provides siege range to an already very strong weapon platform. Void Ray: Flux Vanes: Speed increase, essentially negates ground counters to Rays. Carriers: Graviton Catapult: Boosts launch speed of Interceptors, not really a big upgrade. Zerg: Zergling: Metabolic Boost and Adrenal Glands: Speed is necessary, most players don't use Zerglings at all without it. Adrenal Glands 20% attack speed increase is okay too. Roach: Glial Reconstitution and Tunneling Claws: Speed is only useful to defend against Reapers and Hellions, and Tunneling Claws are almost never used. Hydralisk: Grooved Spines: Range increase, necessary to make them worthwhile. Baneling: Centrifugal Hooks: Speed increase, necessary to make them worthwhile. Ultralisk: Chitinous Plating: More armor. Necessary to make them worthwhile. Overlord: Pneumatic Carapace and Ventral Sacs: Speed is necessary for scouting, the upgrade to make them into transports is fairly seldom used. At a glance, it seems to me that Terrans in particular have a number of upgrades that dramatically increase and alter the usefulness of their troops, while working synergistically (Stim+Combat Shields+Concussive Shells). Protoss also have useful upgrades, particularly to mobility with Charge and Blink. Blink allows a fairly well-balanced force of Stalker/Colossi to also cliff-walk, which can be a major game-change. Zerg upgrades, on the other hand, are mainly speed boosts. There's no flavor aspect to any of them...Zerglings can't "pounce", Roaches can't learn to cliff-walk, Hydras don't get to sacrifice health to attack faster. None of these upgrades really change play style at all. They just allow the units to do what they should be able to do by default. In conclusion, I leave it to the community and to Blizzard to provide ideas and, hopefully, some changes. I personally feel that the Zerg have been given the short end of the adaptability stick, and considering their lore, that simply makes no sense. Finally, yes, I am a Bronze player, and therefore am trying my best not to make major balance suggestions or cry OP. I just look at the lists of upgrades available when I play Terran or Toss and wish I could get the same feeling from the Zerg upgrades. TL;DR Zerg upgrades are less game-changing and creative than their Terran and Protoss counterparts. Wyeth23 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 terran are OP http://www.youtube.com/user/hdstarcraft?blend=2&ob=4#p/u/2/1NAszqrp3aw what went wrong for the z player?dartheric0 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 My hatchery keeps losing both its waypoints. Anyone else have this problem the last few days where both the unit and harvester waypoints on the hatch just disappear? Seems to happen a lot when I upgrade to lair but has been happening while still on hatch tech as well. Only been happening the last few days. Is there a potential bug there? jrdn4 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 help against protoss alright, my buddy wants a bit of help vs protoss players. here are a few games where he played against me. he is zerg, i am protoss. what tips do you have for him? http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78585-2v2-protoss-zerg-lost-temple http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78598-2v2-protoss-zerg-delta-quadrant http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78600-1v1-protoss-zerg-scrap-station lost temple game he goes up against a turtle delta quadrant is to stalkers scrap station there is a mother ship involved any tips, critiques, or pointers would be very helpful. Thanks zerg players.Rikimaru4 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Early game Help I've noticed that I do better at the game as the match goes on. By the end of an AI game, the AI has little chance against me. However, my bad early game is preventing me from playing against more difficult AI due to early attacks, and my mid-game could probably use some help as well. As a result of this, I generally do Cooperative against AI. Any suggestions?Prince2 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 How do you counter a cannon rush? I never bothered asking and I keep losing to it. This last game I knew he was doing it but when i searched my base, somehow i missed it timing wise. So, how do you stop it, you find the pylons and you send all your workers to attack? If he already has the cannons in place than what? I tried mutas, they only lasted so long, I tried that Network Worm for the first time, but it didnt work well either. I would really appreciate some help so I can beat the living *!#% outa the next newb that does this CHEESEY BULL*!#%. MommasBoy9 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 this is *%#%ing rediculous srsly i go on a 6 game winning streak cool i think ill take a break go play css for an hour come back im so exhausted i get @*%%d i forget to inject i forget to counter w/e its just 1 game 1 more before i go to sleep to regain those points and it continues bout to throw my mouse out the window for losing to 2 noobs in a row and maybe 2 compitent opponents idk all because its just 1 last game before i go to bed edit: got to love having such a pathetic unforgiving race as zerg on the playing field. oh i forgot to inject larva gg there goes 60 hard earned points out the window /end vent afk going to the store and hoping someone talks *!## along the way cause im an e-thugNick11 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Mass stalkers? What do you do? I kno lings are good against em, but when they got some zelots in there it gets pretty difficultShack10 Sep 12, 2010