Zerg Discussion

Sep 12, 2010 Zerg Walling Off First, I'd like to introduce myself as a Random player. I haven't tried this strategy, but I think I will next time the system gives me zerg. One of the problems Zerg faces at the moment is that they can't wall off. Creep can't expand until they get that lair and even then it takes a couple tumors to reach the front ramp. But what about the overlords? They can spew creep immediately after the Lair is acquired. A player could then slap a wall down. A hole in the wall for the zerg to get out through could be made with a spine crawler. Spine crawlers can be placed behind the wall and outrange anything that comes up the ramp. If the spine crawler hole in the wall is too weak then it could be made into a building and then the Zerg player could take advantage of the fact that about and eighth of his units are transport units and just fly ground units over the wall. As I said, I haven't tried this yet, but I'm hoping that this is one of the strategies that Blizzard mentions when they say that Zerg players just haven't discovered all the strategies yet.Anxe6 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Would Zerg having a wall-off change things? We don't need an OP one like Terran (raise/lower at will and switch tech), and we don't need a "mobile", anywhere on the map one like Protoss (they can wall off our bases FOR us...), but doesn't it really seem like it would make quite a nice difference if we had a true wall-off? It would even up the easy, cheap scouting game *and* it would help protect against the early pressure that affects us more than the other races (I think we can all agree on that). Either force Terran to make a flyer of some sort and do the same for Protoss (or force them to rush an Observer), and there you go - you've sacrificed one natural benefit of Zerg that the other races apparently don't have, "easy" expansion, for a new one that the others definitely DO have. Pick apart my idea, please - that's what I posted it for =)Saint18 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Very strange terran strat. Scared? (replay) http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78782-1v1-terran-zerg-scrap-station So i'm going through my build order and I send the scout out to his base (or so I thought). Nothing is there. It's scrap station so he has to start on the other side. But no base. Lol He had lifted off to the floating island in the middle and then begans to tech and D-up with missile turrets. He ends up spreading to 4 differant bases besides his "starting" one and the game was ridiculous. I won but it took forever. Replay it on 8x speed and you'll still get an idea of what happens. He basically forced it into a tier 3 game. My point in posting this is it seems to me T and P players are taking Zerg more seriously. Thoughts? Mikhan16 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 No zerg anti armor? So protoss have multiple armored units that can also counter armored units really well. Terran has great anti armor counters that are also armored (marauder, tank). And zerg has NO armored anti armor ground units, or any anti armor ground units period?? And dont say ultra because 20 damage compared to 50 or 60 is a joke. Am I wrong on this? P.S. - this is NOT a bio ball thread, it is a unit compsition thread and about what zerg units we might be missing out on this is not a marine thread...... Im starting to sound like Tyler Durden.BMetal47 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 *Birth queen while lair/hive morph??* Why are queens not allowed to be made while morphing lair/hive? This is ridiculous to me. If a player is or knows or thinks he is getting voidray/banshee rush cheesed, and needs to build a few queens, this will greatly increase the time it takes to tech. With the amount of time it takes for zerg to tech already, not being able to birth queen while morphing to lair is another one of those big limiting factors of the zerg race. Queens really should be allowed to be made while lair is morphing. I don't see why not.seiphRis14 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 How can I improve my gameplay? Here's a replay of one of my latest games: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78860-1v1-protoss-zerg-kulas-ravine I want to move out of bronze, what can I do to improve? I had never played SC before when I bought this game, and I lost a lot, but now I've gotten better. Unfortunately it seems I'm stuck in bronze because I lost so many games.AquaKool3 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 1k diamond I just hit 1k points in diamond league! woot! I feel warm n fuzzy inside. Like ive finaly achieved something besides a worthless league title. Thank you all bio ball a-moving terrans. Your lack of micro made my blings so happy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKY-smJ6aBQStirbend2 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Good, solid build order Hello. I haven't played very much online but I figured I had to start eventually. So I'm wondering, what is a good, solid build order that will set me up for transitions to match what my opponent is doing. I was thinking about reading Sheth's guide but I haven't gotten to it yet. Also, what are some good transitions? I was thinking about starting to learn the 5 roach rush against Terran and Protoss. But any advice helps! Thank you!ZaneZaneZane19 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Getting back into "The Groove". I've taken a break from Craft of the Star: Double for a while. I recently came back today and I felt the best way to do a nice game was to play some 2v2. 1, because I think that it gives you a bit of elbow room to experiment and 2, I just want that damn 10 win icon. I'm extremely rusty with the best race in the game (opinion), and I'm just wondering what are some helpful build orders to make me remember to not stop and go "uhhhh..." to myself for 30 seconds trying to figure out what the hell I should do. I'm horrible at keeping up my economy at the moment. I've either have too little or too much. I can never keep it above 1,000 each because I'm constantly making units, I get foodblocks too often and that sets me back, and I tend to pack myself in and have no idea when to expand or just plain outright strategize. I used to be so great at this game in the beta and when it started. I rarely played, but still. I was so good back in the beta with my strategies and now I can't remember anything besides that cheezy 6pool which I downright refuse to use since it's unhonorable and plain embarassing to use. I just need a good overall build order I can follow and then react when needed to. Smack some zergy sense into me.Darkborn1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Playing as Zerg, How to stop zling rush? I'm really new to starcraft, and I was wondering if there is an effective way to stop a zergling rush while playing as zerg. Please help, as this has bothered me all day.Kyler26 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 I'm kind of tired of resorting to Mutalisk I like mutalisk, earned me most of my wins. But I don't have a ground force mind set. Any tips for this crutch? Also I don't really know when to expand and when I do, if I'm attacked and/or I attack/counterattack, I usually find I have WAY too many resources (mainly minerals) unspent. Another thing I need work on is mid-game to late-games. If a game goes pass 30 minutes I usually struggle a lot to stay afloat but can sometimes pull off a win. Here are some of my replays so you can better understand what I'm saying. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78210-1v1-protoss-zerg-lost-temple http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78207-1v1-protoss-zerg-metalopolis http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78205-1v1-protoss-zerg-metalopolis http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/76376-1v1-terran-zerg-desert-oasis http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/75482-1v1-protoss-zerg-steppes-of-war http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/75449-1v1-zerg-desert-oasis http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/74585-1v1-terran-zerg-steppes-of-warsackyhack3 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Broken Achievements okay its not really broken but... Would You Kindly (LOL BIOSHOCK) Destroy 5 units with a single Neural Parasited unit in a League game. with 12 games seconds and a giant tentacle leading back to a unit the size of a Sieged Tank? I think not. Most of the other achievements are nigh impossible too... Its got to be super massive luck or the broken MU system matching Bronze versus Psy or something. I really think they need to drop the portrait win counts.... 1000 wins on a 20 minute game average is almost 2 weeks (333.3 hours) of play... so if you're winning 10 games a day its still 3 and a half months... What a Zergs got to do for a little achievement wh0ring... Rat8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Strategies Does anybody use the Hydralisk Zergling combo? cause its !%%#ing amazing!Alucard9 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Two difficult toss strats to beat: 4-gate zealot rush, and (especially) lots and lots of stalkers. Any suggestions? I usually notice a 4-gate zealot rush once I've done my 10/11pool and spawned 6 Zerglings (I typically spawn 6 lings for a quick harass before continuing on to either T1.5 or straight to T2 as an opener). I tend to notice a Stalker mass after I've chosen where to go from Spawning Pool. I feel as though Roaches are a good idea, but Roaches have such a short range compared to Stalkers -- not to mention blink. I tried banelings once but I needed a ridiculous amount in order to kill any via ambush. I can only imagine that the number of banelings I'd need would be twice as much if I were attacking rather than defending. The number of Zerglings needed to beat at least 7-10 Stalkers is also immense. Any suggestions for T1.5-2 strategies to help defend against these?Hafling18 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 New Player Having Trouble, Need Help! Hey, I'm a new Zerg player and I'm having a heap of trouble in my matches and I wanted to post a few questions to you guys in the hopes that it might help me out. Any informative answers provided would be most appreciated... I got placed into bronze and am getting my butt kicked. 1. This is first and foremost... EVERYBODY I face is protoss (with a few terran, and NO zerg), and they just wall up their chokepoint. So for the rest of the game, I NEVER, EVER attack them. I'd love to, and back in SC:BW I did it all the time to keep the pressure on, but with a walled-in choke w/ marines/bunkers/photoncannons/stalkers behind them, I see no way to attack w/o being decimated. Meanwhile my enemy can attack me as much as he wants because I can't wall in. I can keep pressure on their natural expansion spot, but P and T seem to rarely require an expansion to beat me, while I always seem to require one. 2. How do I counter HUGE clumps of stalkers? Banelings don't seem to do much against them as they have trouble getting into range, fungal growth doesn't do enough damage, and by the time I can even think of fielding ultralisks or brood lords, I'm already dead. 3. Is there any way to have my queens cast spawn larvae on my hatcheries WITHOUT resetting my camera view to my base? I'm tired of having to double click my queen hotkey and go around v-clicking all hatcheries in the middle of a fight just to keep up with reinforcement production numbers. 4. Is there anything I can do in second tier AT ALL? Seems like the only option is hydras or mutas, and both get torn up ridiculously fast vs. clumps of stalkers (the most common thing I face). The only time I've actually won matches is when my banelings counter enemies who go all zealot or marine, though this is pretty rare. I'm sure I have other questions but I can't think of them right now. My micro and macro is generally good, but I just don't know which units to make in response to others. Zerg has no hard unit counter for armored early in the game and I'm having trouble figuring out which units soft counter others. SlimBritches5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Spine crawler placement vs Protoss/Zerg First off, I rarely use spine crawlers against Terran and that is what most of my games are so I am not so sure on where to effectively put them. When I see 2 gates with a protoss I always put down 2 crawlers, usually close to my hatch and between the hatch and the ramp. I have noticed this is fine against the first wave of Zealots. But then when the opponent gets stalkers he just walks to to the side and then proceeds to kill my drones. I run lings at them but usually a few zealots are there to stop anything from happening. So my question is..where do you place your early buildings and spine crawlers for max defense? Also I use spine's against zerg and usually do one in my mineral line and one in front of my hatch.junyamint7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Bunker-busting. How do you guys do it? So, when playing Terran, I often find myself in a situation where they fully saturate 1 or 2 bases with SCVs, then just turtle like that until they hit around 200 supply of fully-upgraded MMM or MMT or something. And I just wanted to know how you guys like taking that strat on? Personally, I find that strat the most fun, because it allows me to have TOTAL map control, and then I just sit and wait for them to leave their base, then ambush them with banelings (lots and lots of banelings), distraction harasses (to try to lure them back into their base or to their expansion in order to save their workers), infestors (fungal growth or NP on the thors), and then Ultralisks as my main force. The advantage of this is that by late-game I usually have 3-5 bases while they have 1-2, MAYBE 3 if they expanded to an island, and therefore if I make sure that the big all-in battle is closer to THEIR side of the map, I can usually have enough larvae to mass-produce units to rebuild an army by the time they get to my base. But that's just me. How do you guys take on a turtling terran? Baneling busts often work if used in the early-game, but what about mid-game? How do you handle turtlers?Hafling15 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Banelings & You - A "How To" Introduction So, as a serious(ly frustrated) Zerg player who's been stomped from Gold 3v3 down to Bronze 3v3 by a combination of disconnecting Allies and a lack of creative solutions on my own part, I did what any would-be good player should do: Research. And I've learned alot about Banelings, and how they "should" be used. But how they "should" be used is generally considered micro-intensive, Burrowing them in moderately sized control groups to readily explode them on-demand without wiping your entire map's worth of disposable Vespene grenades when you only need them in one location. Or requiring you to quickly shift your map, select them, and explode them before the enemy moves - something that isn't always manageable. These are all fine & good strategies, but with such a micro/macro-intensive playstyle already there has to be a better way, right? Baneling Mines & the Art of Autocast What many Zerg players are unaware of - including myself, until very recently - is that Burrowed Zerg units can have UnBurrow set to Auto-Cast by right-clicking the icon. This provides some wonderful possibilities for pre-emptive Expansion Harassment with pre-burrowed Zerglings & Roaches, but more importantly it turns your Banelings into automated minefields. When units come within exploding range of burrowed Banelings set to auto-cast UnBurrow, they pop-up a very VERY small distance from said Units. This distance is great enough that a few Banes may, in fact, be shot-down before they reach the target, but many will at least be in range to incinerate a few units as they explode - remember, Banelings deal their damage even when killed by enemy fire, so long as they are close enough for their splash to "touch" the units. This allows you to place a group of 4, 8, 16... however many Banelings you think is worth it... on something like a Ramp for instance, Burrow them, and forget about them. They will do their job when the time comes. You can't build on a Ramp, so they're out of the way of buildings & Creep tumors, and ramps are an excellent natural chokepoint to melee rushes. Alternately, you can cluster small groups along normal attack routes, pairs of Banelings by Xel'Naga Towers (preferably accompanying an un-Burrowed Zergling to let you USE the Tower) as a nasty surprise to anyone looking to gain their benefits. You can sporadically place Auto-Cast UnBurrow Banelings around the outer edges of your resource line to destroy incoming Reapers. Let your imagination run wild. Strengths & Weaknesses of "Bane Fields" Like any strategy, even "Bane Fielding" (as I've come to call it) has its downsides. If a player is being cautious with their attack force, the first few Baneling explosions may cause the player to stop & Scanner Sweep their immediate surroundings, destroying the rest of your Bane Field in short order. That's OK, it buys you precious time to queue-up a massive simultaneous unit morph! Naturally they could use other forms of detection such as a Raven, Observer, or Overseer as well. In such a case, it'd be more effective to have a large group of Banelings on a Control Group hotkey, Un-Burrow REMOVED from Auto Cast, and ready to explode as something nasty (say an MMM BioBall) walks over the top of it. AutoCast of Un-Burrow is NOT a blanket solution that works in all cases, but it IS a viciously effective harassment strategy, unit destroyer, and early-warning system all rolled into one. And one that requires relatively little micro on the part of an already micro- and macro-taxed player. Videos Coming Soon! Hope you find this useful. -SkullMonkeySkullMonkey29 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Silver League 1v1 I'm pretty proud of http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78699-1v1-zerg-delta-quadrant I've been working on improving and am normally very nervous and am apt to give up when I see I get behind (especially in ZvZ) but I am proud of my decision to stay in this one. I'm not sure of the timing but there is a moment where his 6 mutas are chasing my 4(ish) only to meet another 6 or so. Was entertaining for me n_n. Critique/enjoy >_>Wycken3 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Why So Much QQ Ok I'm a bad Zerg player.... now that that is over with (flame if you want) i will proceed to the point of this thread. Why are so many people QQ'ing about the Zerg? They are SUPPOSED to be different!!!! I mean if you want a race that is made to be played in a straightforward fashion GO TERRAN!!! I mean people QQ about our main building sucking.... just because it doesn't have an energy bar doesn't mean it fails... our Hatcheries cost 300 which = quick expansion which in turn = macro = which in turn = win... I mean Zerg is supposed to have weaker units. That is WHY blizz made it so we can spawn like 30 at once! haha Whaddya know?!?! 20 Hydra's beat just about anything.... and if you lose to an opponent who has some massive army it was your fault in the beginning for not harassing him and allowing him to build that army without being bothered. In no way am i saying that i would or even could beat you... I'm just saying i wish people would just LEARN TO PLAY instead of crying to blizz that they can't spawn 21 of the equivalent to Terran Thor's all at the same time in tier 1.5Dan77 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 god im so tired of 1v1. Every game pretty my toss or terran opponent walls off. with defense behind wall. i then get banelings to bust the wall. and rebuilding my units attack. rebuild. becuse this moron hs only built hellions and thors. while im running around the map. looking for expos. now lings are supposed to counter thors.....i dont think soo. then i decided to sneak into his base. i nydsuled in the rear, he had not built any defense to protect from mutaalisks or anything... but the base was the gone.... i then went on to destroy all the supply depos in the aera to find he had crammed his mass thors. in his natural (which he didnt have before) and walled off both sides and massive amount of thors. i made loads of banelings to destroy the wall and attack the thors, followed by my mass lings and hydras no good. built more, repeat . he then then finally decided to attack me at the base i made at his starting position that he had left. and then atthe 38 min mark he decided to make his way to my expos. -.- i was annoyed so i said god job newb and left..... whats the point? theres nothing you can do... i didnt have the gas to go broodlords the thors would knock them outta the sky anyway.. any help would be greatly appericated. Arbiter25 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 The Nydus worm says, "Stupid humans..." "...complaining about passing kidney stones. They've never passed an ultralisk..."MisterParker8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 A thoughtful approach to balance suggestions. I see a lot of people suggesting things that Blizz should do to fix some of the imbalances with the Zerg race. Unfortunately, a lot of these seem to be rather poorly thought out in the larger scheme of the game. It is important to remember when discussing changes to the game that the developers almost certainly have specific design philosophies that they have applied to each of the races. If the Zerg are lacking an obvious mechanic (say, a cliff-walking unit) it would be a fair assumption to say that this is by design and the mechanic in question is not compatible with the philosophy of the Zerg which the developers are pursuing, and asking for such a mechanic to be added in contradiction to this philosophy is likely to yeild unsatisfying results. If, then, we are to make useful suggestions on how the game can be balanced, as Blizz seems to want considering the article they posted in association with the upcoming v1.1 patch, it might first be pertinent to determine what said underlying philosophy might be, especially as they are unlikely to change it significantly. To get the party started, I would like to offer my thoughts. In the original Starcraft the Zerg had virtually no "heavy" combat units whatsoever. Only the Ultralisk and the Guardian were considered heavy units, and they were both T3. It wasn't until the introduction of the Lurker in Brood War that the Zerg could effectively seige or turtle. I believe that it was the intent of Blizz to return to this pre-Brood War model in SCII. As I recall, there was a general consensus pre-Brood War that the Zerg were OP because of how quickly they could go on the offensive. Many of the changes in SCII seem to be geared toward allowing the other races to jump off the starting line a bit quicker, so it seems a reasonable theory that Blizz is trying to make this model work. Consider also that the effectiveness of the Zergling has been reduced and the ability of the other races to wall has been increased. Additionally, the Lurker is rumored to have been included in the beta, but only as a T3 unit, coming too late to fulfill its old role. If true, this would further support my hypothesis. One other change of note is that, with the movement of the Hydralisk to T2 and the reduction in movement speed that it recieved, it seems that players are being prodded toward the utilization of short-ranged units in ground combat, giving the Zerg a more down-and-dirty feel than the Terrans or Protoss, who would have a more intellectual conception of war due to their reliance on their respective technologies. So what say you? Do you think this is a valid assessment, or do you think that Blizz has another direction in mind for the Zerg? Unless we can establish a coherent idea of what the developers intend the Zerg to be, any suggestions we might make are really just shots in the dark.Whiplash7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 'Toss Cannon Turtle Blah blah blah long story short a toss player built a metric @*!*-ton of cannons around his ramp and the rim of his base and basically turtled for the entire round. Upon watching the replay, he didn't build a single offensive unit until 6 minutes in (stalkers, of course) Having never encountered this level of cowardice I didn't know how to handle it well, but I eventually won after he ran his base dry and I kept him contained with mutas and whatnot. How could I have ended the match quicker? Brood lords were my first thought since they could just sit back and out-range the cannons, but I didn't think of it at time (figured a baneling bust would work alright, didn't turn out that well against 12 cannons). It was frustrating to have that much of my time wasted. He didn't even tech up to DTs like I anticipated. He didn't tech up to ANYTHING.knotwrite22 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Can the infestors get some more hp? Maybe 200?BMetal10 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 quick question about spawning units? I was just wondering If there was something we could do, when we have like 20+ larva or any larva for that matter, if we could hold down shift and click a unit and have them all start building instead of spam clicking the unit icon i want it to build? Im prolly a noob i havnt found this out yet, j/w ThanksJshaka7 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 proof that marauders can be beaten Just played a gold level terran who scouted my roaches early and went mass marauders, I scrambled to make zerglings. I ended up having few zerglings against a number advantage marauder army, and I won. Proof that marauders are not OP in the early game. At least at the gold level that is. http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/3526Maximus5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Help against the infamous ZvP Hello everyone! I'm fairly new, but I've won a few games here and there, and I believe I really need some help! I can hold out my own against terran, but Protoss are another story... Here recently I have loss several games to Protoss and all of them were from void rays. I have scouted and found out they have walled in and trying to rush in some voids and then I have built some hydralisks and surrounded my worker line with 2 spore crawlers, but nope that does'nt work, or at least not in the long run, or one time he used his voids to protect his expansions and of course speedlings have no aa, and my hydralisks were to slow to drag to his expansion, then have him counter attack me at my main... so I would like some advice or strategy on how to win a few more against the protoss... however harsh it may be...Marfin13 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Tumor Waypoint - Toning zerg req APM back Apologies if this has been said already, used search and didn't see anything ^_^ Regardless of any terran OP zerg UP discussion, I thought it'd be good for blizzard to address the disparity in req APM between zerg, and T/P, as currently it's universally accepted that zerg takes much more APM to maintain due to tumors and inject both needing constant attention unlike mules and chrono. So, a pretty simple solution to get this on the right track would be to make each creep tumor capable of auto-cast with a pre-defined waypoint. It'd be pretty easy to manage and for blizzard to implement, you place a tumor, and you can then manually control it *or* you can immediately set up 10-20 waypoints to determine the exact path it expands in. Then just turn on the autocast and away it goes. Each time the creep expands enough to allow that waypoint to complete, the tumor moves on. This would free up so many actions for diamond players, and would allow lower skilled players to finally enjoy an aspect of zerg that they've previously had to neglect (as correctly managing tumors at 25 APM is impossible). I also feel that larva injections need a bit more flexibility, but I can't think of a way to implement this without it being OP. Thoughts? If you like the idea, keep it bumped! Lets keep this thread up top as long as possible so blizzard understands that it's not just a matter of unit balance, there's core issues with the skill requirement to maintain zerg.Rekatan8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Finally... now what? I have finally reached rank 1 of my diamond league. Only 965pts but damn, I fought for every single point. Nothing but pure zerg love. I know this doesn't matter, but I had to share my joy. Fighting through cheese, 5rax reapers, zealot rushes, muta rush and all the tough builds, I have reached this point. After this what do you do? Can you go into higher ranked leagues? Or am I stuck in my league. (btw: by the time you read this I'll probably be rank like 5 due to me working and all).Glitch4 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Infestor improvement idea: ... What if rather than the infested terran ability we replaced it with a carrier ability. The infestor can take in units like a medivac, and burrow around with them inside. While inside the infestor, zerg units gain an accelerated health regeneration rate (most likely double base regen). The infestor can then spit out the units in those cocoons (In this case more like drop pods) The capacity of a single infestor would be very limited. (Probably 5 supply to prevent ultralisk drops) The infestor would fill the role of the much needed "cliff climber", being able to shoot 10 zerglings up a cliff in pods if you have line of sight from an overlord or such. Best of all it fits the loreThorn3 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Terran 1 base Seriously wtf. How does a terran with 1 base keep up production with a 3 base zerg and proceed to win. Mule is so frustrating.Thorn18 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Amazing Nydus Worm play from the Pros Considering all the discussion on how useful the Nydus Worm is, I found this game very insightful :) Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbXyZpsUYA Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0RuVQ741c Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn2hu-TZCwk Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ-lKZdyvjQDodge1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Go explore little ling! http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/373AzureDemon1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Planetary Fortress sadness Just got done playing a game ZvT where I sent in my 10th drone to scout and noticed 1 supply depot and nothing else. Decided to go check out his natural and sure enough a command center had just been put down. At this time my spawning pool was just finishing and noticing that i could win the game early I sent 6 zerglings to his expo right when i could and set my rally point to the cc. Well after I had about 10 zerglings there the PF finished and all of them died with the cc at about 1/2 health. (it might have been might fault for not noticing the pf in time but thats not the point here lol) I guess my question is this...is there any early units i could use to take out a PF early? After my initial push I sat back grabbed 2 expos(3rd towards end of the game) and teched all the way up to broodlords to only eventually lose to mass (fully upgraded) marines. It kind of sucked because I couldn't do any scouting after the PF was up as he did a good job of putting missile turrets in the right places.Nightlamp5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Defending against protoss? it seems like every time I play against protoss, I get swarmed by void rays, and I can never get enough mutalisks to counter them. any advice?Alex3 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Fun Idea for Heart of the Swarm This is not really that serious but i think it would be a fun mechanic for the campaign at least. Instead of larvae spawning every 10 seconds and each unit having their own build time, i suggest that all units have the same build time BUT there is a cool down (sort of like the warp gates) on when the next larvae spawn depending on the unit. And the queens spawn larvae can be changed to something similar to chronoboost and reducing the cool down on the larvae spawn times. This way zerg can be the swarm again and spawn a huge army all at the same time instead of waiting long times for certain units to spawn. And would have to wait for larvae spawn instead. I don't think it would make much sense to implement this mechanic online but it would surely be fun to have in the campaign. What do you think of this idea?AjC5 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Help? Ello all! First off i'm going to say this isn't a massive QQ thread. I may be doing poorly but im not gona sit around like most zerg players and complain about how bad we are. I am going to do somethign about it and learn how to play this race. First off- I have played Zerg almost purely through Brood War ( This was pretty much the game I grew up on) And felt like a fish out of water when I was dumped into SC2. After years of waiting for it.. and watching every beta video on zerg i thought I knew what I was doing!...I was wrong. I am by no means an "idiot" when it comes to this, just finding certain elements of the game difficuly . As a traditional zerg player i feel old and otudated. Help would be very nice! I wish to learn! ...even though its funny with the macro and micro skills i've picked up from Zerg I can randomly pick toss or terran and eat someone alive :/ The enemy- scouting predicters, stalker spam, walls , marauders, anti air early game, Hope Solstice8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Fav zerg Unit Hey everyone been playing zerg for the longist time and just wondering what everyone's fav unit is i would say mine is still the Hydralisk they are too bad ass if you ask me and i think Ultralisk are bad ass too but i rarely use themSegmenter58 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 I just took a look at the T forums and..... man I couldn't help but LOL....... LOL and LOL and LOL that is it..Charja1 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Whats suppose to heppen in HoTS? From starcraft wikia: The campaign, viewed as a sequel,[8] is focused on Kerrigan[9] and the development of a zerg empire.[10] The campaign operates similarly to an RPG, in which Kerrigan is focused on increasing her personal power through mutations. Zerg armies protect her as she garners this power.[11] The greater her power, the more zerg she's able to control.[12] Like Wings of Liberty, the player will be presented with choices as to which missions to carry out and which units to get, but such choices won't be based on cash.[13] Both the missions and their objectives are intended to be quite different from the ones featured in Wings of Liberty.[14] And of course it says it may changes, but how can they have kept it like that when, at the end of WoL, Kerrigan is turned back to normal? And how is suppose to lead the swarm? When a single cerebrate died in SC1, all of the soldiers under its control when't rogue. Does't that mean that the entire swarm right now is going crazy?MajorD27 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 I....did it... As a zerg player who leans more towards ground based builds tanks......ruin games for me. I see tanks and I die a little more on the inside. So lately it has come down to experimentation. trying differet timing, changing whatever I can change. Last game my experimentation finally came to fruition. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/78528-1v1-terran-zerg-steppes-of-war After knocking on the front door didnt work as usual I made a couple more roahces and stopped my hydra lair and made a spire. As his initial push came in 4 mutas popped I killed as many marines as I could with my 7 or so roaches, my mutas cleaned up the remainder. Once it was down to ground only units mutas owned the rest. I started the muta harass and did as much damage to his economy while keeping my mutas alive. Pumped mutas for a while and made another batch of roaches to handle his second push. Roaches died, mutas killed the rest of his marines and wiped the rest of his ground only army. After I killed his second push it was gg, my force of mutas was formidable to handle pretty much anything, and I could expand safely. This is the build that gives me the most trouble marauders always eat up my roaches, marines always beat my mass mutas and tanks always killed my lings and hydras. But using this build you take more of a beating early game, but as long as you stay on top of your spawn larvae you can make enough roaches to stave off his forces to allow your mutas to bulk up, then you can harass and take the dominant position in the game.sdrawkcaB2 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 How do I bring up VATS? I am having trouble against Thors... how can I bring up VATS and target their heads with the magic box? Lir14 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 If you dont scout collosus in time... Are you #%*#ed as zerg ground?Clonosaurus13 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Why bring... ... claws to a missle/gun/laser/cannon fight? Oh yea, because we're Zerg and we're medieval like that. OrionHunter16 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Dark Archon or Infestor? Dark Archon: Cost 250/200 4 supply cost speed 5 200 shields 25 health 1 armor 200 energy Skillset: Feedback: 50 energy 10 range drains energy and deals equal amount in damage back to target Maelstrom: 100 energy 12 second duration 10 range Stuns all units (friendly included) within a small AOE from attacking, moving, or casting spells for short period of time. Stunned cloaked units will be revealed. Mind Control: 150 energy and drains all shields 8 range Transfers control of any enemy unit to the casting player permanently (Reguardless if the dark archon dies, or the unit moves out of range after being mind controlled) Mind controlling a transport will also transfer control of any units the transport is carrying, and mind controlling a unit that has researched upgrades or special abilities will transfer them to the dark archon's player Infestor: Costs 100/150 2 supply cost 2.5 speed (2 burrowed movement speed) 1.3 creep multifier 90 hit points 0 armor (type armored and psionic and biological) Skillset: Burrow (can moved while burrowed) Neural Parasite: 100 energy 9 range (unit can move up to 5 extra spaces after being controlled) 15 second duration Cannot be used on a dropship with units. Does not permanently transfer researched upgrades and abilities. If infestor dies, spell ends. If unit moves out of range, spell ends. Fungal Growth: 75 energy 9 range 8 second duration Enemy units in the area of effect are immobilized and suffer 36 damage over 8 seconds. It does not appear to stop or damage burrowed units. Cloaked and burrowed units are revealed. Infested Terran: 25 energy 9 range duration 30 5 second hatch time 50 health 0 armor (type biological and light) 8 damage ground and air .8 cooldown 5 range .9 speed movement Can be cast while burrowed It's interesting that the two units are so similar. The Dark Archon being a unit that honestly didn't see a whole lot of use in SC1 from my experience and when watching pro games. The price would be the biggest deterrant for me if choosing between the two, however I think I'd still rather have a Dark Archon given the choice. If I side by side compare the skills and the fact that the DA has more health and speed/ casting range, the DA slightly is just better for my own purposes in each category. Feedback > Infested Terran imo, because while it's nice to be able to spam out a temporary army, I'd much rather have something that can instantly punish caster units that are so annoying to us zerg, such as high templar and medivacs. Maelstrom > Fungal Growth. This one's a pretty close call, however the longer duration, and stopping of caster units just moves Maelstrom ahead in my eyes. Mind Control > Neural Parasite. Yes it does suck to lose all your shields, however having permanent control of the unit w/ no restrictions while also gaining all the upgrades and abilities permanently, and gaining everything in a loaded transport, is just so much more sexy than the limitations you have with NP. So there you have it, I'd like to see what you guys think between. And let's just get this out of the way yes I am Silver League in 1v1 so my opinion does not matter, so let's hear from all you what you think?Gabriot4 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Roach. Why do so many people bash roach? They aren't as good as they use to be but they still kick ass. In a zvp I go 0 hydra mass roach and lings. From the gas I save I get to go into infestors, mutas or corruptors or even ultra. Hydras are just not cost effective. Sure dps for hydra might be off the charts but it's just so easy to kill.Victor8 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Void Ray Opening vs. Zerg Hi guys, I'd like a zerg perspective on this. I realized my current opening vs. terran could possibly apply to zerg as well; I rush to void rays but only produce two total voids, while switching to warpgate macro with zealots (with charge) and eventually high templar. The idea is that the voids get in, cause a little damage (usually not very much before having to retreat), but mostly scare my opponent into producing too many ground-to-air units (marines & hydras) which are almost universally crushed by zealots and high templar. Question time: 1. Upon seeing 1 void and then another attacking your queen early on, would you gut reaction be to start producing hydras? 2. After killing a queen, is it more harmful to you guys to attack your drones, your tech structures, or your hatchery? I've been going after tech structures since drones can be so easily replaced, but that's fewer larva for an army, so I'm not sure. 3. I feel like getting the structures that give me easy access to blink and phoenix give me an easy way to counter a player that attempts to respond to the mass zealot with mutas. What other units counter zealots and high templar well, roaches? Ultras? Thank you, I appreciate your opinions.theory11 Sep 12, 2010
Sep 12, 2010 Good 'fundamentals' replays? Hello zorgs, I'm a protoss player of moderate skill and I was looking to branch out to be able to play random at at least a gold-level competence. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of good replays to show good build orders and good macro for some of the fundamental builds? Muta/ling, roach/hydra, etc? Or, baring that, really specific build orders; 11gas/12pool etc. Any help would be appreciated.Ryusko3 Sep 12, 2010