Zerg Discussion

Aug 29, 2010 Give Zerg Engineering-Bay Style Upgrades. This might be best kept for HOTS, but it would make sense to give Zerg some upgrades in the vein of those found at the Engineering Bay; the reasoning for this is that these upgrades improve a core function of the race, in this case defense for Terrans. As such, Zerg and perhaps Protoss) might do well to have some upgrades, perhaps at the Evo Chamber or Hatchery/Lair/Hive, which improve the core functions of their bases. While Terran can research these upgrades without prerequisites, it'd make sense for some of these to be tied to the Lair or even Hive level of tech. Fluid Creep: Increases the radius and spreading speed of Creep produced from Overlords, Creep Tumors, Nydus Worms and Hatcheries. This upgrade, or one like it, would help Zerg up their creep spreading late-game, increasing their mobility. This would be best compared to the building armor upgrade, in that it's never a bad thing to have. Gamete Meosis: Increases the health of Queens and gives them higher regeneration while burrowed. An improvement to Queens would help them survive better in the late-game, since right now they fade from harassment defenders to priority targets. This would be comparable to the turret range upgrade, as it's good to invest in if you're expecting to defend with Queens more often. Vibrating Claws: Reduces the burrowing time of Spine Crawlers and Spore Crawlers. This would restore the mobility of Spine and Spore crawlers later in the game, without enabling crazy crawler invasions that might damage the early game. Like the Terran bunker/PF/CC-capacity upgrade, this is an option that doesn't hurt, but can help augment a specific strategy if desired (hard defense, in the Terrans' case.) I'm just throwing these out there. What do you fellas think - should future Zerg buffs include improvements like these?LeadfootSlim6 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Zerg role in 3v3 at mid game? I am a new player and I love team play because it's more fun and rewarding in my opinion. I am not a good player but besides early pressure and muta harassing I don't find myself doing much else most of the time in my 3v3 or 4v4s. I found mutaling in my team games are really good with the mobility and the cheap lings to supplement my mutas then going ultras or brood lords later on. My question is what do zerg bring to the table as far as team games go? Besides harassment and distracting fire with mutalings?SpiffyMooge1 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Platinum Terran So i don't mean to troll or talk down on someone or a group of players but...is it just me or are most platinum terran players just...not that good? no disrespect but i keep playing platinum terran players and for the most part, just destroying them. Im sure there are many skilled platinum terrans out there but....damn. seems almost too easy :/ Thoughts?RedHat0 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Why 14 hatchery rather than pool? I've noticed some people doing hatchery fast expands rather than pool. Technically, this will delay their queen and cause them to stockpile minerals since they don't have enough larvae to make drones. What is the point of this?YourDogSucks12 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 This whole argument about whether a hatchery costs 350 or 400 minerals has got to be the stupidest (and pretty funny) things I've ever read. Who cares how much it costs?! You lay one down, you're 300 minerals short of what you had before. That thread about it is funny to read, but I mean sheesh, I don't see why it matters.Nargannon14 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 How viable is a hydra mass with infestor? Title says it all, I have been dabbling with bling mixes, roaches, ling to ultras etc. I am wondering if a good ol fashion mass hydra with infestor support can do some damage (specifically speaking vs Terran) Thoughts forum pros??BLaDE11 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 How to stop proton cannon cages? (noob) Okay so they keep dropping proton cannons on me when I'm at about 10 drones. Basically, it takes too long to get a spawning pool up so that you can barely eke out a few zerglings by the time there are 5 cannons. Roaches would be preferable, but they take even longer to get out. How the heck do you stop the protoss from doing this? I will literally surround my base w/ overlords and chase every probe off using my drones - but to no avail - there is simply not enough power between drones and queen to kill off the pylon in time.YourDogSucks32 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Why does everyone say Muta's vs terran. I always see people saying go ling/blind/muta against terran, and I dont see why. Marines and thors ##** mutas, and they can just put up 4 turrets around there base and there goes your harassment. Somebody explain it to me plax!BAMF16 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Good openers vs terran and zerg? Alright I have an opener vs toss (5rr) but what is a good strong way to open vs terran and zerg? I want something that wont leave me behind if it fails. thanksBowgong2 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Why Terrans Need a Nerf. -back in BW marines cost 50 min. and had 40 hp. -now in SC2, they cost 50 min. and have 45 hp and with an upgrade can get 55 hp. They can be pumped 2 at a time from 1 barrack. In comparison, a hydra costs 100 min and 50 gas and has only 80 hp. So basically a marine costs 1/3 the price of a hydra (more than 1/3 since gas is more valuable) and has only 25 fewer hp? -marauders cost 100 min and 25 gas and has 125 hp. Again compared to hydras it's 25 gas cheaper and has 50%+ more hp. They can be stimmed which takes only 20 hp and does 50% more damage. -medics are now drop ships + medics rolled into one. -Unlike in BW, hydras now take up 2 supply, and the overlord can't detect cloak anymore like BW. So you need to spend 100 min and 150 gas just get get the same ability of a BW overlord. (oh and the overseer's ability is useless, it's basically nothing but a BW overlord that costs 200 min and 150 gas, oh yeah and it can't transport unit anymore). -zerglings still only has 35 hp and does the same damage. -Zerg doesn't have lurkers to stop ground infantry anymore. -the creep colony does 40 damage in BW. The new spine crawler does only 20. So used to take 2 hits to kill a marine. Now it takes 3 and a whopping 5 hits to kill a maurader. So it used to be that zerg could build 3-4 creep colonies to stop a early mid game push with MM, forget about it now. Where as before the Terran needs tank support to break the creep colony in addition to MM, now Terran can break zerg's static defense with just marines and mauraders with no medivac support. Zerg's static D is basically useless. -banelings are not counters to MMM because it takes 2 bling strikes to kill marines and 6 bling s to kill mauraders. In any real game, you just won't get that many blings to reach the MMM ball. My argument is made based on playing lots of ZvT in BW seeing that as a fair matchup. If we use that as a basis for balance, it's hard to argue that the current ZvT is not unbalanced. It's gotten to the point where the Marine/mauraders can roll through zerg without even medivac's help or any tank support. Suggestions for balance: -make marines 40 hp again with no possibility of HP upgrade. -make mauraders cost more and/or have less hp. -make hydras cost way less and not in need of lair tech. -make burrow so it doesn't need lair tech. -give banelings more hp so they don't all die before they get to the MMM bioball or make they be able to 1 shot marine and 2 shot Mauraders. -make spine crawlers do the same damage as creep colonies. even with these changes T will still be favored against Zerg.Hauptschuler13 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Not that long till next exp A month just pass since WOL release date. Now we only have between 11 months to 17 months for nest expansion. YAY!Imnumbertwo0 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Man, how much other races can get out of... A single base. Just played a match against a protoss (haven't practice enough against protoss, so I dont quite have the "sense" to gauge them yet). I scout him, i see 2 gas and a stargate, so i get ready for void rays. I scout again, i see a fleet beacon... Can't really leave my base at that point because he could be massing void rays, and i cant get far enough in his base to see where they are. I get a bit surprised by a mothership "drop", but after losing most of my corruptors, I still defeat everything he threw at me without losing everything on my side. Scout his base, he has a few more stalkers and is blocking his base, so I need to rebuild a bit before I can punch through. I make sure to have a ling at every expo, he's only in one base. Scout his base, he's out of mineral. How much more could he have right? He just lost 90% of his force and just busted a crazy amount of mineral/gas at me and lost. I rebuild for a few minutes, and go for his base...only to be greated by... another 5-6 void rays, a bunch of stalkers, and another freagin mothership?!? Without corruptors this time, I go down. Damn can they get a lot out of a single base (I had 3 including a high yield). Note: I realize this is 100% because of my lack of skill and being overconfident that i lost that game. Im sure surprised how much firepower protoss and terran can get without expanding...)Shados4 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Is MMM gonna be even stronger? With ultralisk armor dmg being decreased by 5, won't marauders be even more impervious, increasing the durability of the MMM combo?YourDogSucks16 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Marauders should have range reduced I'm gold with a terrible record. Now that that's out of the way: I think we all agree MMM is a bit unbalanced vs Zerg especially and I think this is why. They have a range of 6 (opposed to the Roach with 3). Marines have a range of 5 (+1 upgrade). Both t1 units being ranged allows them to clump up and focus down melee units too fast, especially with concussive shells. Range reduction to 4 or 5 would let zerglings/zealots be a bit more effective against them. Ideally I think the Marauder should have been designed as a melee unit, but it's a bit late for that now I suppose. Discuss. Ogg14 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Queen of blades need to be fired. So i watched the intro movie to Starcraft2 again the other night, this time around ;after playing Zergs in the diamond league for some time. The story line seems to have dulled out. As the plot goes, the queen of blades was supposed to create a new zerg resurgence, something the story seemed to have made so grand. However, she has utterly failed. She would have done better to pop a zerg-humanoid unit into a seige tank at least zergs would stand a chance. I vote we rewrite the story as, Queen of blades ousted from the zerg dominion by raging zerglings. ZERG RAGE continued!!CokeClassic2 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Not worth it To make a long story short: QQSpog6 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 do i just suck what am i doing wrong? ive watched tons of videos and try to re create what i see but i just must suck at this game. i have a really hard time with micro and attacking units and not knowing what to do when an enemy is kiting me.. does anyone have any suggestions for hotkeys and when to activate them. what else should i improve on? here are some replays if you watch them it would be greatly appreciated. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/67345-1v1-terran-zerg-lost-temple http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/67346-1v1-protoss-zerg-agria-valleyPaul27 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Leagues - Am I just unlucky or is this intend -ded functionality? Because the last 5 games I've played have all been against gold and platinum while I'm in silver. I guess my point is what's the point of keeping me as "silver" when I literally so rarely ever play against other "silver" players?Gabriot5 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Watch High Rank (2 v 3) TvZ GG!! http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/66952-1v1-terran-zerg-lost-temple Just played it. Was lot of fun. For your enjoyment. Rank 2 vs Rank 3, both +1000 points player. *edit* http://www.sc2replayed.com/players/20819-jeonyboy#replay Rest of my replays if you wanna check'm outJeonyboy18 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Queens Aggro Range Why are queens so stupid? An army gets within like 5 miles of a queen and her stupid ass charges at them to get killed. Hey queen, guess what? You die in like 3 hits, don't try to be a hero.Ooblix8 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Heart Of the Swarm- What do you think? Given the ridiculous ending to WoL anyone have any ideas what they thing HotS Will be like...I see it going 1 of 2 ways. (Spoiler Tag-if it wasnt already evident that i was ganna tlak about the end of WoL) 1) Kerrigan and Raynor go around regaining control of the Zerg swarm. Because Raynor is now working with 'The Queen of Blades' everyone that once believed in him has since stopped. Valerian doesnt get the kind of recognition that he wanted for changing her back.Megnsk does damage control about New Gettysberg and points out Jim is in fact working with the zerg. Tychus isnt actually dead Jim shot him in the foot. 2) See part one, but with the twist that all along Kerrigan only been playing everyone in WoL and wanted to be changed back to a human. Anyone else? (Sorry if this has already been posted)Robcbh15 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 me verses bad P&T I thought this was a pretty funny/pathetic game for the other team my team mate left his pc leaving me to fight both http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/67389-2v2-terran-protoss-zerg-twilight-fortress i hope you guys enjoy thisAboomerang1 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 So I just switched to Terran Now I'm skillfully microing reapers and transitioning into marauders when he gets roaches. Nothing can stop me now MUAHAHAHAHAHAA!! Seriously I can mass reapers and stress him out so much. Then when he gets roaches I produce two waves of marauders(10) and then I attack and win. So easy, not even about balance anymore, its just so much easier :)Sense15 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 I found the best counter for 2gate proxy http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/67366-1v1-protoss-zerg-steppes-of-war This is the second game where I have done this. If you are going against protoss 1v1, you should be scouting for a proxy. since the 2gate proxy is pretty much all in, I go all in too! Must watch!!! SoyEl10 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Ultralisk splash change is not a buff I'm not going to comment on whether or not the change is necessary. Frankly, I haven't played enough multiplayer to discuss balance issues like that. But the claims some people are making are outright ridiculous. Some facts: 1. Ultralisk splash damage is in a 180 arc with a 2.5 range (basically a half-circle with the tip 2.5 range directly in front of the Ultra). Blizzard was very careful with their wording ("tightly packed smaller buildings"), because Ultralisk splash damage won't hit *anything* in most circumstances. A Command Center is large enough to gobble up the entire arc, as are most other buildings when attacked at most angles. This should be common sense. If you attack an MM ball the size of a CC, the splash is limited to mostly just the first row, so why are people having wild dreams of splash damage destroying SCV's repairing large buildings? Against even somewhat large buildings like Barracks, the results would be mixed. Attacking the Barracks wouldn't damage anything behind it. Buildings built directly next to it might be damaged, but it depends largely on positioning. The bottom line is that the only time you'll get consistent splash when attacking buildings is in the scenario Blizzard mentioned: when attacking tightly-packed smaller buildings like Supply Depots. 2. Ultralisk splash damage is only 33% of the attack's damage. Someone stated in another thread that if you attacked a Photon Cannon with an Ultra, the Pylon next to it would be nearly dead by the time the cannon went down. Absolutely false. The Pylon would still have 200 health and 100 shields remaining. The amount of damage that would be done when buildings were even hit is far lower than most people are imagining. 3. Ram was added for a reason: it dealt much higher damage. Against an upgraded Planetary Fortress with the 1.1 #'s, an Ultralisk using Ram would deal 90 damage every 1.6 seconds and destroy it in about 27 seconds. An Ultralisk using splash would deal 30 damage every ~0.8 seconds (so 60 dmg in 1.6 compared to 90 with Ram), and require 40 seconds to destroy a Planetary Fortress. And unless the Terran was having his SCV's repair by standing on the same side the Ultra was attacking, there would no splash at all - and even then, it would depend on angles! Attacking for half the damage but twice as often doubles the value of armor. That's why Ram was so great. This change doubles the effect of armor on buildings against Ultras, so that any time the Ultra attacks a PF, or any upgraded Toss/Terran building, they're losing out on massive amounts of damage. 4. If you spend more time in a game attacking large or non-clustered buildings (aka the majority of all buildings in any game against any race) than you do tightly-packed Supply Depots (if you're doing that, isn't it already gg?), Ram would have dealt significantly higher damage. --- Again, I'm not commenting on whether the changes are necessary. Just please stop making the ridiculous claim that this is somehow a buff because of so-and-so scenario that would involve splash traveling halfway across the screen for 200% damage. Unless your opponent tries to Supply Depot you into submission, it's a nerf.Raj16 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 How do you counter 2 gate proxy? If they 2 gate proxy, and you go standard 13 pool, I think it is impossible to stop it (unless the Protoss sucks bad). Zealots are very resilient against both spines and lings. Neither of those options give you a cost effective way to kill them. Scouting is very hard, because your scouting drone doesn't usually get to the enemy base before 12 food or so (unless you send the 7th drone or something, which hurts bad too). Even if you did scout, and went 10 pool, I think it still might be unstoppable. I am #1 Diamond (850 pts) as I am typing this. And I have never been able to stop a 2 gate proxy against player at my level. Only one time I caught the pylon and killed it with 4 drones. But he only wasted 100 minerals, and it probably cost me a lot more than that in my drone mining time. He ended up with a bigger economy and beat me afterward. Next patch they are increasing Zealot build time by 5 seconds, but I'm not sure if that will be enough to fix this cheese rush. Any suggestions? JohnOldman20 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Zerg in a nutshell (with some complaints) This is not a whining thread it is simply a thread where I state the facts as I see them in general zerg match ups. These scenarios are generalizations there are always exceptions to the rule. Likewise I am only a bronze player trying to get into silver but so far stuck around bronze rank 1 - 4. Terran early game: Terran will almost always wall of early game. from here Terran can harass with reapers. This lets the Terran wall up and play defensive and yet still able to do some building or drone damage. otherwise a Terran may go with a decent MM ball and try to do some damage that way. This is what annoys me. Because it seems even if zerg deals with this ball (usually with banes) the Terran player hardly suffers at all for throwing away units. In fact the Terran may try another ball right away and perhaps even win the game if you lost too many units defending against the first ball. even if you do defend with minimal losses Terran still doesn't suffer much despite throwing away so many units. why does Terran not suffer? because he has a nice wall with minimal defense maybe one or two tanks and maybe a few marines or a bunker etc etc. Now I zerg can Baneling/sling bust and perhaps win the game. however this is risky unlike when Terran throws his units away if you lose your units on a bust that is not successful chances are you are going to be way behind or perhaps even lose the game. This leaves Muta's for harassment which do not come until much later. likewise Baneling drops on Terran's mineral line can be effective. Terran may attempt to use Baneshee's or drops near the Zerg mineral line. Either way these things can be deal with by Terran and Zerg player. Now lets talk about late game. Both Terran and zerg are close to being maxed or at least have large armies. Both players are more or less even and have expansions and what not. There is no macro or unit advantage lets assume zerg scouted accordingly. Now to win Terran more or less only has to mass his units together with SCV's to repair and that is about it. Terran will of course have to position his siege tanks properly and scan/scout to make sure there are no burrowed banes in his path. At this point his most difficult thing to do will be his army is slow and he has to push but also worry about zerg counter attacks.LuckyStar6 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Upcoming Patch Discussion aka Victory Dance!! Here's my take on the new patch: 1)Reaper build time increase - good call. 5 more seconds and that 6rax->tech lab->reaper fails. 2)Zealot build time increase - this was a long time coming. 3)Bunker build time increase - the only time this really matters is for a bunker rush, which won't happen anymore. Another good call. EDIT 4)Tank attack against light, which is basically lings - what they did is mroe or less keep it so that an unupgraded tank still kills an unupgraded ling, but the splash won't kill a whole pile at once anymore. GREAT call. The tier 3 nerfs are sort of a gray area for me, I've never really encountered BCs in a serious situation and once ultras are attacking buildings I've usually won already. Last - kudos to Blizzard for not listening to whiners about Void Rays being OP. Vray rush does not work if you scout properly and the toss need a viable air->ground attacker that doesn't cost a %@*#load (see carrier).redShift5 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Tank mode damage question Not sure on the mechanics on how splash damage works. Tank did 50 damage again, plus splash of 1.25 radius. Now Tanks do 35+15 vs Armored. If a Roach gets hit for 35+15 damage, is the splash damage based on the 50 or the 35? If a Roach gets hit for 35+15 damage, does splash damage give +15 against nearby Roaches?Raygar5 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Protoss Cannon turtle So I am new to the game and just played some jackass protoss who all he did was build 20 cannons in his base. He then just went Void Rays and *@%!d my ass. I expanded 4 times but just couldn't handle his massive void ray/ carrrier push. What the hell am I supposed to do to get his base. I tried to go in with broodlords but his void rays would just destroy my mutas and started to *@%! the broodlords. Dumbest @*#@ing game ever. He never made any army besides an initial 5 or 6 zealots... just a massive air force that would go around and destroy my expansions. Abaddon18 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Nydus =/= Nuke NOTE: This is NOT supposed to induce flaming or anything. I want solid discussion about Nydus's and WHY they work the way they do. I'm not trying to complain, so please don't come in and just start trolling. Thank you. Alright. I've thought about it for awhile, and I just don't get why the Nydus Worm has to give itself away with a scream. Half the time, even if you can get a Nydus in, they can find it. So why give them a queue to actively let them know to look for it? A Nydus is not as devestating as a Nuke in my opinion. A Nydus Worm can sure pump out a lot of units... one at a time. It's almost more effective in my opinion to just Reaper harass as Terran. Why don't we get a queue for THAT? Nydus's are supposed to be for either sneak attacks, or getting around the map (which shouldn't be one of the main uses, since you SHOULD be spreading creep). Why is it that our ONE chance for a sneak attack (which can already put you at a severe disadvantage if you screw it up) should be announced to the whole world? I dun get it. dotZero29 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 What happened to zerg rush? So are the zerg no longer the rush race? Is it protoss now?YourDogSucks6 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 ZvP Roach Containment Does anybody have a good opening ZvP build order with roaches and speedlings, meant more for containment? I've got an early pressure one, but it cuts drones and has a late expansion. I tried looking for a more stable one through google but most of the results generally use build orders from before the roach supply nerf, which are know useless due to timing differences. Can somebody please help me out?CptOblivious3 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 The Phoenix, Balanced a la Zerg Patch 1.1 We have seen the phoenix used to "snipe" enemy infrastructure units. This is not how we envisioned the phoenix as being used. Graviton Beam is now unusable against workers and Zerg Queens. The phoenix's attack has been changed from 5 (+5 vs light) to 5 (+10 vs light) to compensate, and to dissuade protoss players from using them on Overlords. Patch 1.2 We've noticed phoenixes being mass produced into "victory fleets," rapidly overtaking and "kiting" mutalisks and vikings, exploiting their speed and damage to eliminate even large groups. We've reduced the phoenix's speed by 1, increased its gas cost by 50, and reduced Graviton Beam's energy cost by 25 to make up for it. Patch 1.3 We've seen the phoenix used as a static base defense, levitating large groups of units with the cheaper Graviton Beam. We just out and out replaced it with the Scout. Everything works much better now.Graven4 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 When to use Banelings or Roaches? They seem to hold the same purpose, but that can't be right, so what situations call for one as opposed to the other? When are Banelings more effective as opposed to Roaches, and vice versa?NightBlade5 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Meatball help Anyone know how to beat a 3M ball w/ tanks? Once the marines reach a critical mass the banelings cant get close and the marauders own roaches/hydras. I cant seem to find a cost effective way to kill it...Avo9 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 ZvT replay inside, what I usually do. Hopefully this replay gives light to something people should be trying. Feel free to critique, I wasn't on my best so I feel some tips would be ideal. (This is diamond league) http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/67354-1v1-terran-zerg-scrap-stationTucker0 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Builds help?!?! Ive just started playing 1 v 1 competitively and Ive run in to a problem, my build sucks, either i go with a 14 pool and get cheesed in the beginning or I run a with a 10 pool and get out mined in the mid-game... My macro sucks (as a zerg this is supposedly imposable but I am magically able to do it). What I am looking for is a fool proof early game 1 v 1 build that i can use to transition into mid-game success, what builds should I use, and what builds do you guys use? and feel free to throw in any other random tips as you feel necessary...DaWIZARD9 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 New Crawler Type? I have a headache, so bare with me here... http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/XxxTenebraexxX/Crawler.jpg Just an idea while I was sketching, but what about a third type of Zerg defensive structure that does not attack, but plays off the concept that the Zerg structures are organs...by linking them together and increasing their durability and resistance to enemy attack. For example: Lair + Spawning Pool + New Crawler = Essentially One structure with 2550HP due to damage distribution between the two buildings. However, through the utilization of several of these Crawlers, you could effectively link every last structure upon your Creep to create one hell of a strong Hive cluster. The enemy would be forced to focus fire upon the Crawlers, which would not receive the mutual health benefit through linking, to effectively dismantle your defensive network. This would buy the Zerg player precious time to withdraw their forces to protect their Hive Cluster. However, the enemy could focus upon a single structure to effectively destroy all Zerg buildings tied to the network. Interesting idea? Thoughts? Might have been suggested before, but it was just a passing thought as I was sketching.Tenebrae3 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 The battle cruiser. How do you beat a Terran with like 15 of these and 40 vikings watching them? not to mention his bases have like 20 siege tanks watching the ramps and entrances.AKimboJack13 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Advice on better scouting techniques I'm definitely getting the hang of Zerg now. And it's way more fun to play than Terran, I'm so glad I switched. Yes it's a bit more difficult at times, but it's also a lot more gratifying when you win. Now my question is regarding scouting. I've lately been sending out my initial OL to scout the closest base and then my first drone when 9/10 finishes. I normally make it into the enemy base everytime, however, they never seem to be to the point in their build where I can gather any useful information. So I normally just end up making an extractor on one of their gas. Any opinions or advice? Is what I'm doing acceptable? Could I be doing something more efficiently? Thanks in advance. For the Swarm....SLyK7 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Critique Me (Replay Included) Replay here: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/67324-1v1-protoss-zerg-xelnaga-caverns So, this is basially me recovering from a Zealot Rush, barely coming out alive, and Roaching him into oblivion. Is there any way to improve on this?Graven2 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 And I'm back So after 50 Zerg wins, I switched to 'Toss, hoping that my skills from Zerg would help out on 'Toss and I'd come out better. But after about 45 wins, I'm back. I missed the Swarm. I may be only bronze but I love that: -I can remake my army in a matter of seconds, rather than minutes -My army looks awesome -Instead of having to spend all my time wondering "well, can I support a different tech path off this (or these) bases? I can spend my time going "ooh, this unit would do well!" Instead of having to make control groups for all sorts of different structures, I just need my hatcheries + my Nydus worm. This rocks. Also, my time spent as 'Toss allows me to be a better Zerg. I now know better how to counter specific 'Toss units, because sometimes Zerg would grind me into the ground. Seriously, play other races. It helps. But I'm glad to be back. Hadrian2 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Counter to seige tanks? Are we really supposed to have mutas up within the first 5 minutes of the game? is it right to have all of our ground units be useless until we research all of their upgrades? THoughts?BMetal7 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Stupid Things You Didn't Know At First I just learned that you can spawn larvae at your hatchery while it's building something else at the same time >.< Would anyone like to share other dumb things I should've known a long time ago? My record is trash, I'm looking for help here.Delerius38 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Dealing with rushed banshees Hi, random player here. I've recently gotten to the point where I'm starting to queue against diamond 1v1 players, and I've noticed that I'm seeing more and more of what you might call a cheese/rush/all-in strategy. I'm finding that I'm having a bit of difficulty dealing with these strategies. One such that strategy that I happen to have been having a very hard time dealing with is the 1/1/1 terran banshee rush versus zerg. So I'd like to get some advice from some experienced or higher players to see how they would deal with it. This has mostly been a problem on maps like Delta Quadrant where the distance between your base and natural is pretty far (Not the in-base natural with the rocks, the one down below). While I would normally use two queens to deal with the banshee, I found that my creep highway isn't filled in between my expansion and my base. This gives the banshee quite a bit of time to either try and knock out one of the queens, or take out quite a few drones. Since I virtually always buy the speed boost for lings before I tech to lair, lair tech takes a little while, and after that I can either go spire or hydralisk den, both taking considerable time. I generally find that my only anti-air capabilities lie with the queens. I am skeptical about spending the money to develop an evolution chamber and spore crawlers, because I find that shortly after the banshee attacks, I can usually expect to see some sort of MM or Hellion attack on my natural. So I call upon those who know better than me. How would you play it? One base strategy? Extra queens? Fast mutalisks? Also, if anyone has any good tips about maintaining your scouting abilities after the first two or three minutes, I'd like to hear those too, because I'm sure those would help. Once they get marines out, I'm very nervous about bringing overlords anywhere near their base. Thanks for any input.Revy1 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 Newer Zerg Units would change a lot! I am new to starcraft but I have noticed that aren't many changes made to Zerg in SC2 compared to the other races. Here's what I have noticed, the changes or just the new units. Protoss: Stalkers, Warp prism, Immortal, Phoenix, Colossus, Void Ray, Warp Gates, and MOTHERSHIP. Terran: Marauder, Reaper, Medivac, Viking (not sure about this one too much), a faster shooting Siege Tank, MULES, Helion, and THOR. Zerg: Roaches, Infestors, Baneglings, Nydus Network, Changeling, and a changed Queen. Brood lords were changed somewhat too. I am not complaining about Zerg, however much I would like to see changes but I cannot help but think that if Zerg received more changes or NEW UNITS then the other races would have a harder time dealing with the SWARM. Zerg tactics against these new units needs to change but on the other hand, the other 2 races now have newer units that have such POTENTIAL that it's making us Zerg players have a much harder time adapting to these newer units. What if more units or tweaks were made to Zerg then I feel like Zerg players will have more OPTIONS against their opponents. Just an insight that I got reading through the forums and I thought that I would share. Thanks to anyone who read through this :)SpiffyMooge11 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 The roach The roach has become a unit that is a double edged sword for Zerg players. It is a unit that you are essentially required to have but has an amazing amount of weaknesses. I think the dynamic of the roach is off slightly and the new patch will make the situation worse instead of fixing it (due to the tank changes). I think most of the problem could be fixed by a small range adjustment to the unit. As of now, if you approach a depot wall with marines and marauders behind it. Roaches can't attack the supply depot without being victimized by the attacks of the defenders. If the range of the roach had a modest increase it would force the terran players to actually move out and fight the zerg if they are attacked at their ramp. Also, it would allow for interesting micro mechanics as a zerg player that would make the game more interesting. The only problem is that this change would make the Roach massively overpowered vs. Protoss. What are your thoughts?MaiPokehmanz14 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 ZvT Metalopolis Plat Terran says "Nerf Mutas" Just finished a ZvT on Metalopolis. I'm a Gold league Zerg and he's 46th ranked Platinum Terran. Nerd basically calls Muta's over powered at the end and says the need a nuke(nerf). ps. I'm by no means very good, I played the Original when I was in middle school but it was almost all custom games so I'm not bragging, just sharing an interesting ZvT. http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=144134Tockets7 Aug 29, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 KingOfBlades -- Thanks! I just did a ZvP, and he tried to do a 4 gate (I think he eventually had 7 gates). I focused on macro more than the hard counters to his units, and I steamrolled him. It was so beautiful. Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, I'm sure this'll help in many more battles to come. Here's the replay if you wanna check it out: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/67212-1v1-protoss-zerg-blistering-sandsNargannon2 Aug 29, 2010