Off Topic Dicussion

Apr 14, 2012 Previous favorite RTS games Starcraft is really the only RTS I have liked and played. Looking back I find games like C&C and AoE really interesting. What RTS games from the past would you guys suggest checking out? I've been under a rock as far as this genre of games are concerned, hehe.Ren11 Apr 14, 2012
Apr 14, 2012 A new computer for $800 I know people are probably sick of these posts but I would love some help. This is the first computer I have ever built. Basically can I do better with approximately 800 dollars? Processor - Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (LGA 1155) - $210 Mobo - ASUS P8H77-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 - $120 Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 –Cas Latency -9 - $55 Video Card - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready - $110 Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - $100 Case - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower – 4 fans - $70 PSU - TOPOWER ZU-650W 650W ATX12V Version 2.0 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified - $45 Optical Drive – Any DVD/RW - $25 OS – Windows 7 Home (Student License) - $60 TOTAL: $795 Additional questions: 1) I don’t quite understand the north bridge on the Motherboard. As long as the processor is LGA1155 and the Mobo is LGA1155 they will be compatible right? 2) Are PSUs compatible with all Mother Boards or do I need to get ones that match 3) How many fans is a good number of fans for a case? Size? There were cheaper cases with less fans but I have no idea if that is ok. Thanks in advance!junyamint5 Apr 14, 2012
Apr 12, 2012 Skype minimize of loss I wasn't sure where to ask this, but does anyone know how to stop Skype from thinking it is so damned important that it can minimize Starcraft to tell me a call ended?Fawxkitteh1 Apr 12, 2012
Apr 11, 2012 Motherboard Question What is the the cheapest motherboard that will support the new Ivy Bridge processors that anyone can recommend without all the unnecessary bells and whistles? I'll be using this rig for playing games and live-streaming. So what are your recommendations?Averik7 Apr 11, 2012
Apr 11, 2012 Question I know this should be basic knowledge, but i'm not a computer guru...so i've a question - My friend is building me a new computer and I was just curious if it'd be able to run SCII and Diablo 3 on the max settings - here are the specs: -MSI 870A-G46 AM3AMD 870 SATA 6GB/ s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard -GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCD Express 3.0x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card -CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply -AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6 GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor -8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM -Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/ s 3.5 Internal Hard Drive -ASUS DRW 24B1st 24x DVD Burner -COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 CPU CoolerGosugoat2 Apr 11, 2012
Apr 11, 2012 Looking to buy a new graphics card. Hello, I'm currently using a Radeon HD 5570 as my graphics card. I would like to upgrade and my budget is $200-$250. I've been looking at the 7850 and 7870 and I find the prices totally appalling. A 7850, being $250, to me is a joke; the 6850 released at $180. A 7870, being $350, is also a joke; the 6870 released at $240. Why are these cards so expensive? As a result, I've been holding out for a gtx 660 or 660 ti. However, I have no clue how long I need to keep waiting or what I can expect to pay. Can someone provide some guidance? Thanks in advance. Edit: typoSchwartzwald4 Apr 11, 2012
Apr 11, 2012 Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase today Anyone else get it? Had fun with WoL for a long while now (since season 1), just need something new :).CSmith3 Apr 11, 2012
Apr 10, 2012 Selling my Mac, need ideas for custom desktop As int he title I am looking for ideas or advice on building a new desktop. First time builder and I only had my mac for like 3 months LOL. Can spend about 700-800...would like to be on the lower end of prices, but with great quality if available. I would prefer intel, but if amd is just as good as people say, why not? I go to a university so win7 64bit is not a problem. I have a monitor or should I say a TV for a display. I need a mouse/keyboard. I do have a moue, but I would rather have a better one. Please help me and Thank You. Lee Sooyul :)SooyuL6 Apr 10, 2012
Apr 10, 2012 When will Baneling Hat's be available to buy? Anyone seen the Baneling Hat's held in the Tournament in Las Vegas? I wanted to know if there was a link to buy them.Valkian0 Apr 10, 2012
Apr 9, 2012 Graphics card upgrade question So i had a 5870 and it pooped out so i sent it back to XFX. They said i can get either a 6950 refurb, a 5870 refurb, or for 30 dollars a brand new 6950 2 GB version. Is it worth the 30 dollars?BeastedOreo5 Apr 9, 2012
Apr 9, 2012 Obama administration is supporting SOPA After the largest online protest in history, the Obama administration is still voicing support for SOPA. We promised to ask for your help if SOPA returned. We're asking now. This kind of backtracking demands a strong, fast response. There is a petition That demands that Obama drop all support for internet censorship. Our goal? Get more signatures than the top petition on whitehouse.gov -- 151,000 signatures.to Tell Obama to promise: "I will never advance legislation that blocks websites or disconnects Americans' internet access." follow the link at the bottom. Obama's internet would let private companies block sites and turn off our web connections. Blocking websites censors free speech, hurts jobs, and breaks the internet. These are tactics used by totalitarian governments and that's never ok. Sign the petition now, then share it to keep the internet strong. Our friends need to know where the President is currently standing on SOPA. http://a.fightforthefuture.org/sign/obama-sopa/?akid=69.563395.TPN_Pu&rd=1&t=3Damy1 Apr 9, 2012
Apr 8, 2012 Dell Studio 1749 upgrade performance I'm running a Dell Studio Model 1749. Intel Core i3 2.27 GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit. I would like to run starcraft 2 on low settings, It works okay but still get an occasional graphics hiccup. Is there any graphics performance booster, or some cheap product upgrade I can get? Or maybe some kind of settings tweak? Just to make the game run smoothly, no bumps. I'm perfectly fine with the low settings gameplay as long as I can play the game and enjoy Starcraft again!!! Thanks for any advice!Snackwrap7 Apr 8, 2012
Apr 8, 2012 Streaming and Hardware Upgrades So I recently upgraded some parts in my system to better handle streaming SC2, since my previous specs were insufficient, for enjoyable gameplay AND high quality video on the stream. I am still getting some frame lag when I'm at "Extreme" Settings on SC2, and trying to stream at the same time. Here are my specs: Intel Core i7 2600k Overclocked to 4.4GHz 12 GB of DDR3-1600 G.SKill RipJaws nVidia GTS 450 1GB (192 Stream Processors/ 830Mhz GPU clock) Xplit is set at to capture at 1080p @ 24fps with the following settings: Preset: Medium Quality: 10 VBV Max Bitrate: 2500kbps VBV Buffer: 5000kbps Audio: 44.100KHz 16bit AAC LC at 256kbps Video Samples here: www.twitch.tv/tbomega I guess my question is, do you think that my GTS 450 is really holding me back that much? or is there something that I may have setup wrong, where the GPU is doing more work with Xsplit capturing and streaming. TL;DR Upgrade my GTS 450 to stream better quality? Thanks in advance!omegaBAD2 Apr 8, 2012
Apr 7, 2012 Help regarding Video card/Processor Hey so i have a question for you guys! I recently upgraded my GPU to a Radeon HD 6870, from a crappy Nvidia GTS 520. And i was expecting a pretty big performance boost, but thats not what i got. For reference here is my specs. Computer was a prebuilt: Gateway FX 7026 OS: Windows Vista service pack 2 (Can't afford 7 right now) Mobo: Intel (Schroeder Town) G33 Motherboard PSU: Corsair GS600 (600 wt) CPU: Intel quad-core Q9300 2.5 GHZ RAM: 8 gb DDR2 GPU: Radeon HD 6870 1gb Hard drive: 2x360 GB Okay so now for the question/help. Based off what i know, this set up should be able to run modern games decently at the least. According to the system requirements i surpass the recommended for quite a few games, including SC2. But using Starcraft 2 as an example, I am not seeing the performance that i think i should be. It suggest that i use ultra graphics settings, but when i do, in a 1v1 match, i only get about 20FPS... Now what really weirds me out is that when i drop the settings to the lowest they will go I STILL only get 60FPS in a 1v1... Now on my system, even though its older, i feel it should run MUCH better. As in my 2.1GHZ dual core laptop could run it that well. Its the same case for a lot of games, and i have no clue why.... Like Counterstrike source on max settings i only get 50-60 FPS, and thats a old game and not the best looking now... So my question for you guys is: Do you know what could be causing this? I have a sufficient power supply for my system, decent parts (I think). I thought it might be a bottle-neck of the GPU, but i don't think it would have this much effect on performance... Do you think its a hard/software problem, or a bottle neck maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!Jake15 Apr 7, 2012
Apr 7, 2012 Which Comp should I get? Hey. I was looking into some cheap already built comps for my b-day. I need help choosing which one would run a game better. So far, I've found these three... CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme GXi250 Desktop PC with Intel Core i3-2100 Processor, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium. CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra GUA220 Desktop PC with AMD A8-3870K Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive. CyberpowerPC Black Gamer Ultra GUA250 Desktop PC with AMD Quad-Core FX-4100 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive. Which of these should I get? Also if ya have a recommendation, please try and make sure it's under 800 dollars. Thanks!jbari3 Apr 7, 2012
Apr 7, 2012 looking for a bullet hell game like Mushihime Preferable for the PC, but shoot me any games you think is worth it. I really want to play Mushihimesama but it's only for the xbox 360 or ps2 that I can find :(FinalBoss1 Apr 7, 2012
Apr 7, 2012 Building a new computer Hi everyone ^^ I'm building a computer for a friend of mine to play SC2. It can't be that expensive (<$700) and needs to run SC2 at at least medium graphics without lag. Could someone suggest some specs for me? Thanks a bunch :)HungryGeKo1 Apr 7, 2012
Apr 6, 2012 Zergotchis need to be real I'll admit it. I forgot it was April Fools day and was had by blizzard by this: http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/games/zergotchi/ But, these need to be real. It's not very often that I experience a must-have these days. But blizzard could get something like this made and if I want it this bad, I know there are more of you. It might not do everything that was outlined in the above page, but just something along these lines would be amazing. Maybe they could even make them able to fight other zergotchis? Make it happen BlizzardKenjinKell4 Apr 6, 2012
Apr 6, 2012 Help with a Laptop Crash Hello all! Six months ago I bought myself an awesome Alienware M17x R3 laptop. I have had this laptop for six months without any problems until about a month ago. I was playing Starcraft 2 using my laptops GTX580m graphics card when it suddenly and for the first time bluescreened on me! The computer had a bugcheck code of Ox116 After letting the computer restart I launched the same game and it did not crash again the whole night. For about two weeks after the first crash no other crashes occured and i thought it was just a random thing but beginning about two weeks ago my laptop has started crashing more and more frequently. The crashing has also spread from only that game to every game that I own! These games range from StarCraft II and other new games to Older games which require little resources to run. I have noticed though that my laptop will only crash when I run games on the GTX580m card. It will run games fine on the Intel HD 3000 integrated card. The crashes are random and can happen after 2 hours of gaming or right at the games welcome screen. I have called Dell/Alienware Tech support at least 4 times and they have not found the cause of the problem or a solution to fix it. Some things they have tried are: 1. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the GTX580m (They used a program to remove all traces of the old drivers) 2. Running tests on my processor, memory, and RAM 3. Reinstalling the operating system ( I thought that would fix it but alas...) Now I have made no modifications to my system or overclocked my graphics card and have never opened it up so I have no idea what could be the cause of the problem but I would like to hear any ideas on what to do to fix this. I'm leaning toward pushing for a replacement graphics card from Dell. I've put this on Dell's forum and gotten some ideas on things to try but I wanted more than one opinion from other forums/people. Thanks so much! -SirRobin (Why/How does someone have the same name as me??!)SirRobin6 Apr 6, 2012
Apr 5, 2012 How decent of a video card can I get for 50$ I'm trying to play Starcraft 2... my computer has integrated video and the fps is really bad even on the lowest settings. Could I get a videocard for 50 dollars that can handle sc2? I only have a 330w psu Any suggestions? The cheaper the better.Mattson2 Apr 5, 2012
Apr 5, 2012 Can I run Diablo 3? My specs are: CPU- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 RAM- 4GB OS- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit Video Card- GeForce 9300 GE Free disk space- 196.0 GB I'm not sure if this is enough info but ty in advance. If I cannot run this game which parts should i replace?Toasty8 Apr 5, 2012
Apr 4, 2012 Looking for some good ol' nerdy pc help I own a NZXT M59 Mid case and I currently want to install a liquid cooling system, but I don't know where to start.. and by start I mean, which system to buy.Inferno1 Apr 4, 2012
Apr 3, 2012 For android users - Brain Lab Hi Everyone, I wanted to let know android users if you are interested that I made a brain game for android and iphone soon. If you want to take a look here are the links : Google play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sixdead.brainlab Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhX9h91CTak Thank youMxx0 Apr 3, 2012
Apr 3, 2012 Anyone want to use Scroll of Res in WoW on me I got a hunter, and i've been inactive since NovemberPuch0 Apr 3, 2012
Apr 3, 2012 SC1 Bnet Issue I don't quite know what the problem is. I try to log on SC1 with the normal game and it says it can't identify my version. Anyone know whats going on? Of course, my SC1 version is 1.16.1.Templarfreak1 Apr 3, 2012
Apr 2, 2012 SteelSeries SC2 ZBoard Help! I bought a SteelSeries ZBoard (the one with interchangeable keysets) because I was due for a new keyboard. Along with it I purchased the SC2 Keyset. Above the arrow keys are buttons for rotation, default zoom, zoom in, zoom out, max zoom, build structure, build advanced structure, rally point, last event, and show health bars. To the right of it are stop, attack, hold, patrol, idle worker/all idle workers, and then Macro keys where the NumPad should be. I have no idea what to bind to the macro keys (there's 9 of them) and was hoping someone else here would have it and could give me tips. Protoss binds, by the way.RisingSun0 Apr 2, 2012
Apr 1, 2012 Cisco IOS LEARNING GAMES I am here because I am interested or consistently and constantly seeking games that I can acquire knowledge that can be used in the outside world of Networking and Communications management. Now Cisco has made flash games of everything from learning binary to networking physical wiring in network environments. I was wondering if there would be anybody that could re-create these games using the starcraft 2 map editor. Though I could do it myself, It would take time that I do not have (especially when my wife is stressed out and breathing down my back trying to get me to go back into school or go out and start looking for a job). I can list ideas, I just need some feedback as to whoever would support my idea. (please don't troll this post).xNERDxELITEx0 Apr 1, 2012
Mar 31, 2012 Looking to buy a netbook (not for sc2!) Obviously I won't be playing SC2 on it But for college, I'm looking to pick up a gaming laptop (from cyperpower, xotic, etc.) and a tablet, ipad, or netbook. Does anyone have suggestions for the best netbook out on the market right now? or at least some specifications to look for? I'm talking about screen sizes smaller than 12 inches.JusSn3 Mar 31, 2012
Mar 31, 2012 AMD APU and crossfire stuff Does anyone here have any of the AMD APUs? (A4/A6/A8) I'm thinking on getting one and I'm wondering what the performance would be like on Starcraft 2 at medium settings. Also, I'm wondering if crossfiring it with a 6670 would increase the performance that much on medium.Blackrock5 Mar 31, 2012
Mar 31, 2012 Anybody wanna scroll of rez me on WoW? I can get an 80 pally instantly right? That is the only class that I don't have that I still care about, and I need something to play right now.Capslock10 Mar 31, 2012
Mar 30, 2012 Need advice on vid settings. I recently upgraded my video card from a 4550 to a 6770. While all of my other games instantly adjusted to/recommended much higher/maxed settings, SC2 is still telling me to play at the exact same settings I had before(1280 x 720 and low on most everything else). Even the ones that are supposed to be based on VRAM are recommending much lower than it should be. My other relevant computer stats are as follows: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0 GHz 4 Gb RAM Windows 7 64 bit Is there a way to force it to take another look at my configuration or do I just need to experiment in game until I get a decent mix of graphics and gameplay?Nyteshade2 Mar 30, 2012
Mar 30, 2012 Interesting interview with Chris Metzen PC gamer recently did an interview with Chris Metzen on Mists of Pandaria. It was quite interesting to read, I might actually look to getting back into WoW for a little while. I left right before Wrath of the Lich King years ago. Here is a funny quote with Chris talking about the story in WoW. "We got a lot of guff on the net relative to, “You’re burning all your characters! Who’s left to fight? Warcraft is done! We don’t care, there’s no equity left, there’s no interesting characters left.” You know what? That’s just utter bull!@#$." Here is the link to the article. Important to note that I don't necessarily love or hate WoW. I just stopped paying attention to it until just recently. http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/30/chris-metzen-on-mists-of-pandarias-story-and-why-the-players-are-the-real-villains/Elite0 Mar 30, 2012
Mar 30, 2012 Foreign to Computers, 1000$ Budget... What should I get? I really don't know whether what would be more cost efficient in terms of specs, a laptop or a desktop, and what brand to buy from, etc. Sorry if I seem lazy or something for not trying to look for my own, but I legitimately have no idea what to look for, haha. Some general things i'm looking for: -Enough space to have a few games on, as well as be able to do school work on it -Good enough to run on medium perfectly(because I don't really see a huge diff between medium +, but a huge diff between medium and low) -Can run music in background of games without any lag -Pretty high resolution If you can help me find a computer like this, I would be really grateful! Thanks!QTpie2 Mar 30, 2012
Mar 30, 2012 Xsplit Mouse Bug - Causes CPU to beep Every so often while streaming with the free version of xsplit I get a mouse bug that causes my mouse to become unresponsive and move around the screen slowly while causing my CPU to beep. Replugging the mouse works; but it sometimes takes a bit for my computer to regiconize the mouse; and I generally have to plug it into a different port. Does anyone know of a fix to this bug?I guess I'm not the only one who is getting it - https://www.xsplit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=355&start=100Valor0 Mar 30, 2012
Mar 30, 2012 HP COMPUTERS ANY GOOD? http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=h8z_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance/h8z_series ITS AN HP PAVILION HPE H8Z SERIES (CUSTOMIZE IT IF THE SETTINGS ARE TOO LOW IM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERS) P.S. IF POSSIBLE KEEP PRICE BELOW $1500 BUDGETCatbasher1 Mar 30, 2012
Mar 30, 2012 Mass Effect 3 While Blizzard is still taking its sweet time (rightfully so I hope) to release the second installment of the StarCraft II trilogy, BioWare just released the final chapter of the Mass Effect trilogy. Has anyone here played it yet? Is it as good as most reviewers say? Or as bad as some fans say?JohnnyZeWolf46 Mar 30, 2012
Mar 29, 2012 What Mouse pad do you use? We see lots of threads about your mice and keyboards, but never about your mousepad. This is probably even more important than the mouse your using! Think of that pain you get from a long day of grinding in your wrist from pressing against your table all day because you forgot your mousepad. I personally haven't found one I like yet. I use a G500 mouse and G510 Keyboard by logitech but have just a crappy warped Ununtu mousepad and it hurts my wrist! What's your favourite mousepad to use and why ?Plunderwondr7 Mar 29, 2012
Mar 29, 2012 New monitor is not running game well Today I upgraded my monitor from a 20 inch to a 27 inch. On my old monitor i could run the game on High perfectly fine but on my new monitor when i run it on medium have 13 fps, but on low i get 30 fps is this a problem with my graphics card or processor? Also, what can I do to help my situation For Processor I have AMD Athlon(tm)II X4 635 processor 2.90 GHz Installed memory (RAM) 4.00 GB system type 64-bit operating system Manufacturer Cyberpower Inc. Graphics card-NVIDIA GeForce 210 Any help would be greatly appreciated!http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MSI+Computer+-+N450GTS-MD2GD3+GeForce+GTS+450+Graphic+Card+-+783+MHz+Core+-+2+GB+DDR3+SDRAM+-+PCI+Express+2.0+x16/4711246.p?id=1218512773770&skuId=4711246 Do you think this would be good enough to run on high or ultra with the resolution of 1920x1080?CoSImMoRTaL10 Mar 29, 2012
Mar 29, 2012 Armored Core 5: Tactical Gaming is recruiting What is Tactical Gaming? Tactical Gaming (TG) was created in November 2004 to bring together like-minded gamers from around the globe and from multiple platforms, to provide them Head Quarters (web site) where they can share their backgrounds, experience, and interests in teamwork and tactics, as well as providing them with an environment that allows a "friends-first" experience in the online community. Our members are over 2000 strong. Recruiting! We are always looking for recruits. Both as raven pilots and operators (RTS gameplay). Not interested in Armored Core 5? You may also try the divisions for : Call Of Duty, League Of Legends, Minecraft, Starcraft, Starwars, Battlefield, Eve / Dust, M.A.G., Starhawk, Uncharted, Ghost Recon, Halo and Modern Combat(for the Ios and Android). We also have a Tactical Sports sections for those interested in organized teamwork in EA NHL games (NHL 11), Motorsports games (Forza 3, TDU2, NFS : Hot Pursuit) and Madden NFL games (Madden NFL 11). Links Head Quarters: http://www.TacticalGaming.net About us: http://www.tghq.org/tghq/homepage.php Why join us: http://tghq.org/tghq/jointg.php If you register, please reply here stating you have done so. During registration (or afterwards) tell them "Kroyakra sent me".Nakremy12 Mar 29, 2012
Mar 29, 2012 Graphics Card for 2560X1440? I decided to order a new monitor because I can't really stand the 1920x1080 resolution anymore. I was wondering what graphics card(s) people are using to play StarCraft II smoothly at 2560x1440. Thanks :)TianZi3 Mar 29, 2012
Mar 27, 2012 SC2 on Macbook Air! I hope to be making the purchase of a Macbook Air during mid April. I have seen several videos on Youtube playing SC2 on mid-graphics using the little guy. And I was curious if anyone on these forums has ever tried to play on a Macbook Air (With a mouse and external keyboard of course). The specs I am shooting for are as follows: Macbook Air 11' model. Dual Core i5 Processor. 4GB's Memory. 128GB SSD. Either the NVIDIA GeForce 320M, or the Intel HD Graphics 3000. Now I am getting the Macbook air for other reasons than gaming. I am not that ill informed. My question is, does anyone think that I could actually get away with some light play on low graphics setting?ARK2 Mar 27, 2012
Mar 26, 2012 MAX OUT starcraft 2 with the cheapest v-card im looking to max out starcraft 2 at 1680x 1050. what is the cheapeest and best under $200 graphics card 2 max out starcraft 2. please leave link for a canada website to order off. i5 2500k,8gb ram,830 watt psuPureProness1 Mar 26, 2012
Mar 25, 2012 Computer Shutdown Issue Because the Starcraft Community is the BEST, hopefully you guys can help me. I've recently bought and been playing Mass Effect (The original for nostalgia) on my PC, and recently while playing my computer will just shutdown then immediately restart, with no input from me. This has only happened while playing Mass Effect, and happened twice, I want to be sure this isn't part of a larger issue. What could be causing this.? I've played far more demanding games on my computer for far longer with no problems, including Battlefield 3, Witcher 2, Starcaft 2 (for 5+ hours at a time), so could it be a problem with Mass Effect? If it was a problem with the PSU, would the computer restart itself immediately? Could it possibly be a problem with the GPU, but again if that was the case would the computer restart itself immediately? I've done some research and apparently the game is susceptible to GPF crashes would this be consistent with what i've described? (I've haven't been able to find the symptoms of a GPF crash) Any help would be most appreciated! System Specs: CPU: I7-2600 Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro RAM: GSkill Ripjaw 16GB GPU: Asus Radeon HD 6870 PSU: Antec Gamer Series 750W HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar BlackVoxx4 Mar 25, 2012
Mar 24, 2012 quad core laptop question (Intel) Hi Guys, I have an hpdv6 quad core laptop. It consists of the intel i7 2630QM, 6 gigs of RAM 1330Mhz, and the AMD HD 6770M (GDDR5). I was wondering if my laptop would shut off if its going to overheat. If it does, does that mean that its ok to play Starcraft on extreme graphics since it runs smoothly? The resolution is 1366x768. I feel like I should be able to do this because when I play BF3, the recommended texture is ultra, and this laptop has no problem running it. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!xAZNxKnifer6 Mar 24, 2012
Mar 24, 2012 Cheapest graphics card to MAX OUT starcraft 2 k. im looking for a graphics card to max out starcraft 2 meaning extreme graphics with good fps! above 40 atleast! my resolution is 1680x1050 my computer is: i5 2500k-oced to 4.3 cooler master hyper 212 evo gigabyte z68a d3h b3 ocz agility 3 60gb 1tb sata 3 hardrive 7200rpm 8 gb gskill 2133 ram 3 cooling fans raidmax 238 wu case 730 watt power supply raidmaxPureProness1 Mar 24, 2012
Mar 23, 2012 Ok, I forgot the name of an old game This was a game that probably appeared in the 1990s. You picked which race you wanted to play (insect, human, cyborg, maybe some others). This was a basic fighter game where you shot down enemies/protected your bases in order to earn money which you could then spend to upgrade your ship and repair it. I remember there were "sky hooks" in the game which moved you around the map faster and that some of the enemy fighters would turn red and then try to kamakazi into you and one mission had an astroid you had to blwo up into little bits. Also, while we are at it, anyone know if there is a game out there that is a spiritual decendant of Tanarus? Thanks!Taishar1 Mar 23, 2012
Mar 23, 2012 Laptop Choice which one is better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230132 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152277xDRxCptHavok4 Mar 23, 2012
Mar 23, 2012 Should i get this video card? should i buy this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759 it's a GeForce GTX 480, right now i have an ATi 5830? my specs are: AMD phenom II X4 965 4Ghz 4 GB ram i'm asking because i am wondering if i could max starcraft 2 with it. and would it be worth it for $249.Damy11 Mar 23, 2012
Mar 22, 2012 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 good for sc2? those are the details GEForce GTX 580 with 772 MHz core clock PCI Express 2.0 1536 MB 384-bit 0.4ns GDDR5 memory 4008 MHz memory clock and 1544 MHz shader clock NVIDIA 2-way, 3-way and 4-way SLI ready 1536 MB 384-bit 04ns GDDR5 memory PCI Express 20 will it be good with my intel i5 processor and 16 giga ram ??Spiroman2 Mar 22, 2012
Mar 22, 2012 Do I need a new video card? I'm sure this is a common topic but I would like to receive some input from the community. I have been playing SC2 on a crappy laptop with an i3 530m and intel hd graphics for while. I was able to play with decent fps on low (lowest possible- lowest res, mono sound, fewest sound channels, etc). I have a different computer I specifically use for rendering Blender animations with decent specs. I was wondering if it will run SC2 on ultra given the specs @ 60+fps...I'm specifically asking about the video card. My rendering computer specs are: CPU: i7 2600 3.4 GHz (w/ turbo 3.8) RAM: 8GB RAM @ 1333MHz Video: XFX AMD Rad HD 6770 1GB DDR5 (I think this is my bottleneck) HDD: 750 GB @ 7200 Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Before I install SC2 and all of those patches I wanted to the the opinion of the community. Is there anyone playing SC2 on ultra with similar specs? I'm guessing my bottleneck is the video card. However, my case cannot fit a video card much larger (length) than the one I have. If my card will not play it on ultra then I will probably buy a new one. Any ideas as to a decent video card of similar size that will run SC2 on ultra settings that will not thin out my wallet? Is there anyone with my video card that is playing at ~1920 x 1080 with 60+ fps? Thank you in advance. I appreciate any and all help.HitmanJo5 Mar 22, 2012