Considering Balance Changes for a Test Map

General Discussion
1 2 3 34 Next
We've been considering putting together an off-season patch that could follow the WCS Finals at BlizzCon, in hopes of increasing diversity in StarCraft II. Before we make any big decisions, we’d like to play some balance test maps with you, to see how some stark changes play out. As always, this isn’t final. This is testing.

So here are the changes we're currently considering testing:

Mech ground and air attack upgrades combined

We've been looking at this for a long time now, and it feels like a solid step in the right direction.

Widow mine splash radius decreased from 1.75 to 1.1

We'd like to push out the Widow Mine a little bit and bump up the Siege Tank so that bio play becomes more interesting. Ultimately, we believe a mix of Widow Mines and Siege Tanks with your bio army will be a lot more fun to watch than just Widow Mines with bio alone.

Siege tank attack period decreased from 3 to 2.7

Bio play may be more interesting with the Widow Mine change and this buff. Not only that, we believe Terran mech armies can be a lot more viable because faster attack speed naturally means Siege Tanks will be better against their hard counters.

Oracle cost decreased from 150/150 to 150/100

Protoss feels like it has been playing too defensively (outside of Warp Prism harasses). We’re seeing Oracles only being used in the early game, and not much during any other stage of the game. We hope by reducing the gas cost of the Oracle, they’ll be used more throughout the game.

Dark Templar movement speed increased from 2.813 to 3.375

We believe that Dark Templars could be more interesting to watch if it's not just a matter of the opponent being prepared or not. Even when their opponents are prepared, we believe by increasing Dark Templar’s movement speed, there could be more interesting interactions, such as dodging out of detection range more often

Roach speed upgrade also increases the burrowed roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.25

We just don’t see Tunneling Claws coming into play much. There’s some really cool micro potential with burrow-moving Roaches, and we'd like to see how this goes in a test map.

Again -- none of these are final adjustments, and we’re considering others. We're probably going to publish a balance test map soon, so please give us your feedback as soon as possible.

As always, thank you very much!
Thank you for putting this update out. A lot of us appreciate it.
Mech ground and air attack upgrades combined

We've been looking at this for a long time now, and it feels like a solid step in the right direction.

Glad to see this tested. Might be too much, but it's good to see.

Widow mine splash radius decreased from 1.75 to 1.1

We'd like to push out the Widow Mine a little bit and bump up the Siege Tank so that bio play becomes more interesting. Ultimately, we believe a mix of Widow Mines and Siege Tanks with your bio army will be a lot more fun to watch than just Widow Mines with bio alone.

Yes! This is what I and many others have been pushing for.

Siege tank attack period decreased from 3 to 2.7

Bio play may be more interesting with the Widow Mine change and this buff. Not only that, we believe Terran mech armies can be a lot more viable because faster attack speed naturally means Siege Tanks will be better against their hard counters.

Now that's a bold buff to test. I love it!

Oracle cost decreased from 150/150 to 150/100

Protoss feels like it has been playing too defensively (outside of Warp Prism harasses). We’re seeing Oracles only being used in the early game, and not much during any other stage of the game. We hope by reducing the gas cost of the Oracle, they’ll be used more throughout the game.

This one scares me. Will make early game Oracle strategies a lot stronger but won't do much for the mid to late game. Hmm.

That said, maybe we will see some sort of multiple Oracle builds going into the mid to late game. At the same price as the Phoenix, I could see them being somewhat effective in packs against mid game Zerg.

Dark Templar movement speed increased from 2.813 to 3.375

We believe that Dark Templars could be more interesting to watch if it's not just a matter of the opponent being prepared or not. Even when their opponents are prepared, we believe by increasing Dark Templar’s movement speed, there could be more interesting interactions, such as dodging out of detection range more often

O.O Wow...well...they'll be able to escape Overseers again. Might be a bit much. They'll be speed demons now.

Roach speed upgrade also increases the burrowed roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.25

We just don’t see Tunneling Claws coming into play much. There’s some really cool micro potential with burrow-moving Roaches, and we'd like to see how this goes in a test map.

An interesting change to test. Probably a good idea.
Interesting. +1
+1 Lets make it fun again. I love the changes so far. We'll test to see which ones make it.
Toss already imba vs Terran and Zerg. And now more Toss buff.
Mr. Kim, is there any possibility of testing lowering the price of Transformation Servos, since it's almost never researched even by meching players in TvT?
No changes to the mothership core? I really think its to strong defesivly and offesvily early game!
Positive Changes:

• Siege tank attack period decreased from 3 to 2.7
  • Dark Templar movement speed increased from 2.813 to 3.375
  • Roach speed upgrade also increases the burrowed roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.25

Worrisome Changes:

• Mech ground and air attack upgrades combined
  • Widow mine splash radius decreased from 1.75 to 1.1
  • Oracle cost decreased from 150/150 to 150/100

I've personally tested the movement speed increase to DT's and burrowed roaches. Both are solid changes that do offer a quality of life difference. I'm a bit on the fence for the attack speed buff to the tank, but so far I support it.

Combining ground upgrades will be good for creating more diversity, but I think it will make the game more difficult to balance going forward. All of the star-port units that weren't designed around these upgrades being combined will eventually have to be tweaked to adjust to this change.

I think widow mines are fine. TvZ is the highest display of skill. If this change promotes other styles opening up, I could support that, but if bio-mine is still the optimal choice, I think this nerf is unnecessary.

I'd rather that the oracle had its acceleration increased. A cost decrease doesn't address it's ability to attack around static defenses. Additionally, it may be easier to rush.
:O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
The Dark templar buff doesn't do anything to help what you suggest it will. If zerg, protoss or terran have static detection this buff will not help, all this does is make DT coinflips better vs limited detection (one scan, slow obs and overseers).
09/23/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Logica
Toss already imba vs Terran and Zerg. And now more Toss buff.

Even if you assume that Protoss is too strong in at least one match up; Dark Templar and Oracles should not be the units that you complain about anyway.

To be against these two changes would be irrational.
:D!!!!!!

The only two I feel might need tweeking is the DT and Oracle.

Perhaps oracle should have increased range for attacks and spells, and or a acceleration buff so it's a more viable scout harass once the fast units like stimmed marines and mutas come out

DT's will be hella fast, maybe too fast, perhaps give them blink with stalkers (but on a longer cool down) so they can still be chased but they have a chance to blink away quickly then come in later

+9000 for mech buffs, will be watching and waiting to see what else happens, as I've stopped watching the WCS as all the matchups are the same
Now I just hope that they do something about the TvP mech :/ Immortals will still shred Tanks apart as a Hardcounter.

Gotta love the changes to Terran all in all though, if they come through that is.
The combined upgrades will allow for easier transitions between the tech paths and not having to strictly go Bio or what have you. I really hope the WidowMine adjustment goes through...Having to go WidowMines every darn game right now is so frustrating. =/ I loved Tankplay in WoL TvZ
They sound good on paper, let's see how it pans out in the test map.
Should we anticipate potential changes for the Ultralisk (in relation to pathing), Viper (survivability) and Infestor (neural parasite rework) ?
yeah the DT change is a no... same with oracle. just makes the coinflip easier for protoss and helps the oracle get out EVEN FASTER in the early game.

as for the other stuff, great changes!
Great Idea David !