Another puCK AmA

Protoss Discussion
10/18/2013 05:01 AMPosted by McGoku
Another question. What Protoss unit hard counters immortals (aside from the obvious air)?

Hey Bribe answered the question fairly well. Zealots are infact the best unit against immortals. Phoenix can also be decent early game as a disable and for attacking. This is simply because of phoenix and zealot have the fastest attack speed for protoss and immortals negate all damage to 10 with their shields.
As a Gold player, taking a third base versus Zerg is really scary. Many games I lose to Zerg are simply because I'm too afraid of the Zerg player to venture out from behind my FFE wall and take another base.

As you can imagine, this doesn't tend to work well when I fall into this trap. What do I need to take and defend a third base in PvZ, and to a lesser extend, PvT?

Hey! If you are having a hard time expanding vs zerg to your third try adding a couple more gateways. As a gold player you are probably going to float a few minerals in crisis situations so having more production will make it a lot easier for you. Once you get into higher leagues try cutting down on extra production to get the base faster. Another thing is that you could try to gateway wall a couple places to make it easier to ff only a couple spots instead of all around your units. I usually do 4 gate with robo expansion into twilight. I could maybe suggest you going for 6 gateways with the robo to expand?
As a Gold player, taking a third base versus Zerg is really scary. Many games I lose to Zerg are simply because I'm too afraid of the Zerg player to venture out from behind my FFE wall and take another base.

As you can imagine, this doesn't tend to work well when I fall into this trap. What do I need to take and defend a third base in PvZ, and to a lesser extend, PvT?

Hey! If you are having a hard time expanding vs zerg to your third try adding a couple more gateways. As a gold player you are probably going to float a few minerals in crisis situations so having more production will make it a lot easier for you. Once you get into higher leagues try cutting down on extra production to get the base faster. Another thing is that you could try to gateway wall a couple places to make it easier to ff only a couple spots instead of all around your units. I usually do 4 gate with robo expansion into twilight. I could maybe suggest you going for 6 gateways with the robo to expand?
3 Sentry questions:

If you open with an offensive Sentry-style play in PvP, what is the maximum number of Sentries you want to make?

Is Sentry/Chargelot a thing (viable) vs Zerg and Terran, and against Protoss who open with Robo or pure Gateway?

If a Twilight Council is scouted, should Sentries not be made, except perhaps 2 of them to Forcefield a ramp if a Dark Shrine is scouted?

Sentry are not good for offensive play in pvp unless you are hitting really early 2 base attacking. the maximum amount you could make is about 4. This is usually done with 1-2 immortals stalkers and a couple zealots.

Sentry/chargelot is viable to an extent in both pvz and pvt. You can make it work for awhile but you will eventually be over run. if they are going roaches you can not go for zealots. You can use zealot/sentry to get your tech units out faster, but thats about it. Pvt is simply the same thing as what I said pvz.

If a twilight council is scouted and you are on 1 base you will probably need to go twilight yourself to get blink. Do not be afraid to make a sentry, but making two can be troublesome unless you desperately need it. Pvp is all about how you open and is almost always a gamble. In general the normal amount of sentries pvp is 2, you can make more if you are being all inned preferably of off 2 base, if it is 1 base you can make more then 2 if you are being 3 gated or 4 gated.
10/18/2013 09:46 AMPosted by TechNo
Did you see the recent Dear vs Maru matches? What do you think about the HT opening with a focus on HT drops with later colossi tech? And what PvT opener do you feel most comfortable with?

I do not watch many pro matches sorry. I think the style is fine! I used to do it all the time myself, in pvt you can do either colo or ht tech into third base. If you are having problems vs scv pulls I highly suggest going ht first! However, colossus openings are much easier to do to take your third with.
Hey puCK, nice to see you back here with us "normals" :P jk jk!

My question: will you be competing at WCS, if so which one and what level are you aiming for?

Hey friend! I am competiting in WCS NA! I have been in premier league for 3 seasons now but always fall out round of 32 xD. I am hoping to be the best I can be! My goal is to be code s level!
10/18/2013 11:43 PMPosted by SleepyFoX
If a Zerg has no 3rd and looks like he's going for an early attack / all in, what would be a good response for a gateway expand player? I usually die to Mutalisks, swarm host all ins, etc.

Hey!~ Wall off asap! Also dont be afraid to add a cannon or two or sneak another probe onto the map to scout. Once you have about 3 sentry send a hallucinated phoenix in asap to confirm the tech path! and make your tech accordingly. Main thing is don't panic chrono out your msc and sentry and add 1-2 more cannons if you confirm a all in, or simply just add 1 extra if they dont take the third.
10/19/2013 12:04 AMPosted by cDgGumdrop
When you are playing against a Terran what is the scariest thing that a Terran can do to you inside of game, of the non-cheese variety?

Mass drops and scanning observers! I hate when my observers get sniped! One thing to think about when dropping is what drop do you want to do the most damage? When sending in the first drop the 2nd drop is probably going to be the one going unscouted and doing more damage. This is not always the case though! Biggest advice is simply dont be afraid of scanning observers!
Wow I didn't know you were a pro gamer. I have another question!

Did you completely unbind the 'Select All Army Units' hotkey? Or does it have its uses? Because right now it completely murders me in high micro situations when I instinctively press it to grab my army. However, grouping units might be much harder without it (not sure how I should be binding them).
3 Sentry questions:

If you open with an offensive Sentry-style play in PvP, what is the maximum number of Sentries you want to make?

Is Sentry/Chargelot a thing (viable) vs Zerg and Terran, and against Protoss who open with Robo or pure Gateway?

If a Twilight Council is scouted, should Sentries not be made, except perhaps 2 of them to Forcefield a ramp if a Dark Shrine is scouted?

Sentry are not good for offensive play in pvp unless you are hitting really early 2 base attacking. the maximum amount you could make is about 4. This is usually done with 1-2 immortals stalkers and a couple zealots.

Sentry/chargelot is viable to an extent in both pvz and pvt. You can make it work for awhile but you will eventually be over run. if they are going roaches you can not go for zealots. You can use zealot/sentry to get your tech units out faster, but thats about it. Pvt is simply the same thing as what I said pvz.

If a twilight council is scouted and you are on 1 base you will probably need to go twilight yourself to get blink. Do not be afraid to make a sentry, but making two can be troublesome unless you desperately need it. Pvp is all about how you open and is almost always a gamble. In general the normal amount of sentries pvp is 2, you can make more if you are being all inned preferably of off 2 base, if it is 1 base you can make more then 2 if you are being 3 gated or 4 gated.

Thank you very much, sir! I'll be using less Sentries in PvP -- I always had more than I could use anyway.

I'll make sure to spend my gas on things that are not early Charge when I scout Roaches, now. I probably need to practice with Blink Stalkers more. I do try to transition into higher tech rather quickly, so thanks for the clarification there!

Two more questions, sorry, just in case you have the time -- is it ok to do Dark Templar drops (assuming non-heavy Sentry play) off of 2 bases, or should 3 be established first to be safe? Or, is it matchup-specific (as in, splash like Colossi or HT before DT tech vs Terran)?

And the other, what do you do if a Zerg goes for Mutalisks, you get Phoenixes out, but then 8-10 Swarm Hosts start attacking after 20+ Mutas are out? Is it a matter of scouting and getting both Colossi and Phoenixes out, or a lot of harassment, or what?
And the other, what do you do if a Zerg goes for Mutalisks, you get Phoenixes out, but then 8-10 Swarm Hosts start attacking after 20+ Mutas are out? Is it a matter of scouting and getting both Colossi and Phoenixes out, or a lot of harassment, or what?

If you have enough Phoenixes to counter his Mutalisks, you are probably already committed to Stargate tech. Get some Void Rays out to counters his swarm hosts, they will melt the Swarm hosts like play toys. Swarm hosts are armored units.
hey puck, as a plat zerg (eu) i am strugling vs protoss 2 base all in, a specially immortal all in.

Can you, give some tips about how to stop the immortal all in, like it is a known solid build that easy as hell to scout, there has to be some counter play to it! i just try to drone drone until 2.5 saturation and pump out roaches, with +1 attack and speed upgrade. But toss's army is just so good and that forcefields are imposible to counter play once casted.

And my second question, what is a good indicator that i will face some 1base/2base DT rush from a protoss? except the obvious twilight, like "if you see this gas at this timing" or "if he got less than x gateway and no robo" or some timing?
What do you usually do if you scout a Protoss going forge first and with him knowing you scouted, he stops his planned cannon rush? Do you attack since he probably wont have as much units with the forge wasted or do you macro up with the slight econ advantage?
Would you be willing to give advice on hotkeys? What do you find is the best hotkey setup? What did you do when you first started playing to increase your APM?
Hot dogs or hamburgers?
10/20/2013 04:39 PMPosted by Linkebungu
Hot dogs or hamburgers?
why do we have to choose? why can't we have both
10/20/2013 10:04 AMPosted by McGoku
What do you usually do if you scout a Protoss going forge first and with him knowing you scouted, he stops his planned cannon rush? Do you attack since he probably wont have as much units with the forge wasted or do you macro up with the slight econ advantage?

If you open 11 gate or earlier you can somewhat hold off a cannon rush without a forge (takes targeting on your part). If you didn't open 11 gate you are better off just make own forge and defensive cannons.

If he built his forge in his natural ramp he is some what screwed if you can move a probe in or just simply pylon block his natural. You do not have to attack. I always fast expand seeing he build 2 worthless cannons which I can deal with later (with photon over charge and what not).

Wow I didn't know you were a pro gamer. I have another question!

Did you completely unbind the 'Select All Army Units' hotkey? Or does it have its uses? Because right now it completely murders me in high micro situations when I instinctively press it to grab my army. However, grouping units might be much harder without it (not sure how I should be binding them).

I am pretty sure he didn't. You use it to find stray units, which should not exclude you from using control groups.
I do not understand why people ask puCK questions that can mostly be answered by someone else or in Adopt A Newb channel.

I am not asking why you left root again. (Since it may not be any of my business anyway.)

(In relation to last question) Any plan or offer for another team?

Are you planning to diversify you play style and move away from micro/drop intensive build and play longer games?
10/19/2013 02:28 AMPosted by puCK
If a Zerg has no 3rd and looks like he's going for an early attack / all in, what would be a good response for a gateway expand player? I usually die to Mutalisks, swarm host all ins, etc.

Hey!~ Wall off asap! Also dont be afraid to add a cannon or two or sneak another probe onto the map to scout. Once you have about 3 sentry send a hallucinated phoenix in asap to confirm the tech path! and make your tech accordingly. Main thing is don't panic chrono out your msc and sentry and add 1-2 more cannons if you confirm a all in, or simply just add 1 extra if they dont take the third.

Thanks man :)
Is there any PvP opening that is safe enough to prevent any type of cheese? (Blink, Cannon Rush, DT, Air) because I'm so tired of having to cheese every game because if I dont, I get cheesed myself.