[Known Issue] Creative SB Audigy 2

Technical Support
I am running Windows XP SP3 and Vista 32bit in a dual boot environment (separate drives). In XP where I run SC2, I am using version 5.12.001.1196 which may not be the latest driver release, I haven't checked recently.
Unfortunately none of the suggestions listed here worked. I cannot access the BIOS unless I download a hack. Also the computer I have does not have on-board audio.

Datth listed this as one of the known issues in this thread:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248427143

[Edit]: Looks like they're looking into it! :D
i have the same audio card and i dont have that problem i dont think wich is weird
There's a few Audigy 2 series. Are you all using any type of enhancement features on it that Schwein isn't using, or is Schwein using a different type? One to be aware of is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audigy_2#Sound_Blaster_Audigy_2_SE
There's a few Audigy 2 series. Are you all using any type of enhancement features on it that Schwein isn't using, or is Schwein using a different type? One to be aware of is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audigy_2#Sound_Blaster_Audigy_2_SE" target="_new">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audigy_2#Sound_Blaster_Audigy_2_SE</a>

Audigy 2 ZS is mine. Nothing custom or special.

From DxDiag:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SB Audigy 2 Audio [DF00]
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_10031102&REV_04
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1377 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 3/18/2010 20:40:40, 528472 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Creative
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: Yes
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run
I have an Audigy 2 as well but I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I haven't had any issues like you're describing although I have to use my onboard audio for my Mic.

For some reason the Audigy Mic always had issues with Vista/Win 7..

Perhaps it's an XP issue, all I see is people with XP having problems.

Maybe it's time to look into Win 7, I've had it since Early Beta and Never looked back, I cringe on my work PC that is still on XP, hopefully not for long.

I have same problem as Unranking. I also run Win XP SP3 with Audigy 2 ZS.

I haven't tried disabling SB yet. Will do so tonight and post the result and my dxdiag.
I disabled the sound card, and no more lag. A good starting point.

My sound card: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS with driver 6.0.1.1377 released 3/18/2010

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/4/2010, 18:55:37
Machine name: CLAM_DESKTOP
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Page File: 426MB used, 8878MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 10.0 (4.10.0000.5515)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [A800]
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_20021102&REV_04
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1377 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: No
Date and Size: 3/18/2010 20:40:40, 528472 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Creative
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 4000, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 64, 62
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 64, 62
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: Yes
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run
I too was running an Creative SB Audigy 2 with Win XP. The game would take close to 10 min to load and the gameplay was unplayable.

Disabled the Creative SB Audigy 2 and went with onboard sound, after that everything is fine. I get 15 second load times and no fps isssues with gameplay.
Thanks for confirming the issue, guys. I too am using Windows XP, but don't have Vista / Win7 to test on. :-\
bump
i aso have an issue with my sound card and sc2, although can someone tell me how find out which card i have?

Also, BLUE please find solution to the frame issues.
can someone tell me how find out which card i have?

There are a few ways to do it assuming you're running Windows:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
From there double click "Sounds and Audio Devices" and look at the top.

Or...

Hold the windows key and press "Pause / Break" -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager
Scroll down to "Sound, video and game controllers" and expand that tree.

Several other ways too in case you don't get anywhere with those two.
Is this Audigy2 ZS issue also causing this message to show up during the game and then horrid FPS?

Message is "your computer is running low on paged pool memory" etc, etc.?
can someone tell me how find out which card i have?

There are a few ways to do it assuming you're running Windows:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
From there double click "Sounds and Audio Devices" and look at the top.

Or...

Hold the windows key and press "Pause / Break" -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager
Scroll down to "Sound, video and game controllers" and expand that tree.

Several other ways too in case you don't get anywhere with those two.

I'm running Vista 32, so I can probably confirm this isn't a XP-problem-only, at least.
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS here, having what sound like the same problems.

I've been looking for whats causing my CPU spikes since I got the game, and this sounds like what I'm experiencing. Hopefully, I can troubleshoot this tonight and post back a response.

I'm very computer-illiterate, but when I do the sound device check, I also get a VIA High Definition Audio under SPDIF Interface, while the Audigy card is SPDIF Out. Is that an on-board sound card or is this something else? I saw I could right-click on the Audigy for disabling, but don't have the time this morning to troubleshoot.

Thanks for letting me know about this possibly being my problem!
Well, I can at least verify that disabling the sound card removed my lag problems. It didn't, however, fix the random crashes, which happened about 15 minutes into the first of the timed missions on hard difficulty. Got about five seconds of frozen screen/sound loop, then the computer did a soft reset. Fix one thing, and another takes its place...
Well, I can at least verify that disabling the sound card removed my lag problems. It didn't, however, fix the random crashes, which happened about 15 minutes into the first of the timed missions on hard difficulty. Got about five seconds of frozen screen/sound loop, then the computer did a soft reset. Fix one thing, and another takes its place...

It's good to hear that you solved the lag issue, though. Thanks for confirming this issue on Vista.
Bump

I am hoping this sound card issue won't bury into the "add-2G-RAM-to-solve-it-all" talk.

It's good to hear that you solved the lag issue, though. Thanks for confirming this issue on Vista.

How did you get 760 pts with the crashing issue? I'm getting frustrated as all hell and I've only got 260, heh.
How did you get 760 pts with the crashing issue? I'm getting frustrated as all hell and I've only got 260, heh.

I'm not crashing, just experiencing unplayable lag. I have been playing SC2 for the last three+ months (beta) with my sound card disabled. It's going to be amazing when I can actually hear the cut-scenes and movies. :D