Is there anyway to tell how good a player is?

General Discussion
If ladder rank means nothing since it really has no bearing on the players skills anymore, stats mean nothing since you can just leave games to accumulate games played, level 90 means nothing since you can just play AI on easy for wins, borders while the game is loading mean nothing since they just represent 1v1 rank and some people troll that division or don't play it at all but are ranked ML in 2's-4's but have a bronze border, and MMR is a secret hidden in that warehouse from Indiana Jones. Is there any real way to look at someones profile and gauge how good they are?
Probably not, unless you actually play them.
Depends.

Zerg: These players are always good. Fantastic micro for their respective leagues. Usually lose.

Terran: These players can macro decently, and micro really well. Beware for their 4 base strategies.

Protoss: no comment.

#Zergbias.
I wouldn't say it means nothing. Masters and Diamond are high compliments to a player's skill, as always. More so in fact, now that the playerbase is smaller, as well as the two leagues themselves in percentage. The rest does have meaning; it's just a lot less clear.
11/26/2013 05:52 PMPosted by BigErn
If ladder rank means nothing since it really has no bearing on the players skills anymore

When did this happen?
If he is in a low league, you can't tell because it might be a smurf account. But if he has been in high leagues for some consecutive seasons by now, he's likely a player that really deserves to be in that league.
11/26/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Spyder
When did this happen?

Look at me. An example of MMR decay. For the record I haven't been silver ever on NA and I was here for the majority of WoL.
If he beats you, hes better. That's the only 100% accurate way to measure.
11/26/2013 06:46 PMPosted by Kelthar
If he beats you, hes better. That's the only 100% accurate way to measure.

If he beats you, he played better that game, more correctly.
Doncroft
MVP
I wouldn't say it means nothing. Masters and Diamond are high compliments to a player's skill, as always. More so in fact, now that the playerbase is smaller, as well as the two leagues themselves in percentage. The rest does have meaning; it's just a lot less clear.

Thank you for responding. Any idea when Blizzard might come out with that address towards the ladder system? It really has made a lot of people leave this game. Why fight a broken ladder system all season, every season just to be demoted next season. LOL! I have played SC religiously for the last 15 years with my brothers until this season, in which it has gotten so bad I am just going to wait till they fix it. It sucks I love this game but I can't play and win 2 out of every 10 games. Juggling a career and a family doesn't leave a lot of time to game so when I do I don't want to lose 80% of the time. I'd rather just BF4 till Blizzard gets their head out of their A$% and fix a 6 month old issue that is literally destroying the community population. Do they even read these forums anymore? If they did they would see this at the top almost everyday, for the past 6 months.