Return of the UED reboot (Discussion, Signup)

Joeyray's Bar
06/14/2014 11:22 AMPosted by Thundercrash
What kind of character limits are there?

This is more of a Political and Corporate RP at this stage, of course there's still going to be room for some gunslingers and assassins (plenty of room, actually)
This is the UED we're talking about, so you're gonna be human. Motivation is all up to you, things like cybernetics and psionics are not very common considering the UPL wiped out all mutants they could find in a massive purge and enforced a "pure" mankind
Crime is very discourage, so normal street thugs probably won't be that big of a thing, only professionals or on the corporate level, where you can practically make an entire colony homeless in the name of business
I'm thinking organized crime won't be too big, no mob families. Of course they're still be a few contracted assassins/investigators/saboteurs, but I feel like with the UED around, most of them would be directly involved in the business itself
If you're going to be a part of the UPL, you'll have a strong sense of something
Whether it's justice, order, or purity, you should be zealous in persecuting those who cross you

None of the characters should be Top-level in their respective organization, but could still be high ranking in their own right. Other than that, you can plot coups, murder, arrests, raids, and everything I didn't name
Of course, you should always, always be afraid of the man at the top. Always
If you're smart enough, you'll probably go far. But never make the mistake that you're the smartest man in the room. For whatever plot you may have, they could have 3 fail safes in place
Being smart is good, being too smart is not
If you're part of the UED, I feel like you'll be taking on a role similar to an Inquisitor in Wahammer 40k. You will find and eradicate any threat within your power, unless there is some sort of political barrier in the way. The corporations will be feeding the UED's effort to mobilize for war, disrupting that will most likely cost your your life.
If you're part of a corporation, you could be your average Joe, family man type guy, but that wouldn't get you anywhere. You need cunning,aspirations, and drive. And the willingness to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals. But no matter how far away astray your morale compass may be, you will always be within confines. You need to cover your tracks, never get caught, leave no names, no witnessed
That's business
For science and military however, your job will be different.
Create, design, shape, plan.
I'm still working on the structure of how the UED will be put together, but I believe most Military will fall directly under them, as will much of science, but not all of it.
Science can still be part business, you could manipulate, steal, and cheat your way to notoriety

Okay, I tend to get lost in train of thought
So, back to the question
Your character will be able to get killed, he's not super human, in some cases you won't even be combat able,
You'll be a lackey and a puppet no matter what you do, there's someone pulling the strings, maybe not directly but still
Have a backup character ready, or just try to be as passive as possible while trying to sneak in a few daggers into people's backs.
Maybe have a few backup characters ready, power will change hands quickly
This is an arms race of industry like never before
It will be propelled on a tide of blood and oil
Much will be lost
Even more will be gained
All glory to Earth
Hmm... Avikon, now that I think about it, this could be like a part of a multi-series of things regarding the fact that there are different stages involved. It could very well work.
06/14/2014 01:15 PMPosted by CrymsonRaven
It could very well work.

I hope so.
It's a good plan in my head
Then again, a lot of things are better in my head
Like the voices
06/14/2014 01:17 PMPosted by Avikon
Then again, a lot of things are better in my head
Of course lot's of things are better in your head than on paper...

06/14/2014 01:17 PMPosted by Avikon
Like the voices
The voices are friendly, but sometimes mean... but other times cruel... but forgiving. I have a mistress in my head... she likes to bring out the ideas in my mind.
I'm not looking to far into the future, because I'll get distracted, so I'm not gonna go too far into detailing the different stages this RP will go through.
But, I intend for this one to have "humanity preparing to fight for it's survival" as sort of a background, it falls out of focus as characters fight for their own lives and purposes in the highly competitive and amoral environment.
But of course when you fail or become an obvious obstacle of any kind, the UED will step in to remove you so progress may be quicker achieved.

I'll start writing the groups that players can start with and the people they'll be under and the restrictions that they must abide by in character
But I want this to be a very open RP, where you can design and do almost anything
But there'll still be consequences and reactions to whatever you do, so be wise
I want people in this RP to be able to openly plot and plan whatever they please without having other people Metagame and counteract them.
I want people to have practically no attachment to their character or at least a willingness to let them die in the name of a good story
I want people to see the death of their character coming from a mile a way, but only have their character do what he would do usually
This may be difficult for some people

And we should probably keep things narrowed down so that people aren't running around the galaxy doing whatever they please. I want all characters interacting (at least indirectly on some levels. I want the repercussions of an action to be felt to some degree by all players.
So, I'm going to divide this chapter of the UED RP into Episodes.
Each episode will likely have completely different characters and setting, but the premise and goals will be the same, as well as the major players in the businesssss game
I'll hold off on joining until we're in the Koprulu Sector. None of my characters work anywhere but.
06/14/2014 04:57 PMPosted by Zarkun
I'll hold off on joining until we're in the Koprulu Sector. None of my characters work anywhere but.

What's the fun in that? Make up some character on the spot, make him expendable even. A bodyguard who takes a bullet for his employer first chance he gets. Or a office lackey that dug too deep into where some finances have been disappearing too. Or a security guard who was a day away from retiring when he gets caught on the wrong end of a retaliation by a rival company.

But here's my plan for the installments in the UED
I'll describe in detail all the (important) characters and areas in the current setting, I might even make a few simple floor plans for some buildings. I'll tell all the objects, items, resources and areas of significance in the setting, why they would be important and who they are most important too, or why it would be advisable to deny it from others, even if you aren't making use of it
06/14/2014 05:41 PMPosted by Avikon
What's the fun in that? Make up some character on the spot, make him expendable even. A bodyguard who takes a bullet for his employer first chance he gets. Or a office lackey that dug too deep into where some finances have been disappearing too. Or a security guard who was a day away from retiring when he gets caught on the wrong end of a retaliation by a rival company.

The problem is that I can't just let a character go. I get attached...
06/14/2014 06:01 PMPosted by Zarkun
The problem is that I can't just let a character go. I get attached...

Then this could be a good exercise for you. Make a character that you don't entirely agree with, or just someone who is extremely bland, despicably so.
06/14/2014 06:06 PMPosted by Avikon
Then this could be a good exercise for you. Make a character that you don't entirely agree with, or just someone who is extremely bland, despicably so.
Eh.... but then we have bland or dull characters most likely in a good concept which is probably not a good idea... The only way I see it working is if he does make someone he doesn't agree with but that might not happen and there is still the probably of being attached.
I've made characters I don't agree with in the past. Still get attached...
06/14/2014 06:11 PMPosted by CrymsonRaven
but then we have bland or dull characters most likely in a good concept which is probably not a good idea

But life is full of bland people, they're inescapable
Like death
or depression
or the voices

06/14/2014 06:11 PMPosted by CrymsonRaven
The only way I see it working is if he does make someone he doesn't agree with but that might not happen and there is still the probably of being attached

Well, gotta break that habit sometime. Can't have all your characters living forever. Death could be a big part of their character. It's really interesting to think about what someone's last thoughts would be when they're staring death in the face.
And all interest has been lost. This RP should be about a badass !@#$ing space invasion that spans all of Koprulu with unlikely allies from all races coming together. Not some "Sit on earth and backstab people and %^-* around." :(
06/16/2014 09:11 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
And all interest has been lost. This RP should be about a badass !@#$ing space invasion that spans all of Koprulu with unlikely allies from all races coming together. Not some "Sit on earth and backstab people and %^-* around." :(
Actually, it's all of the above, Mecha. Avikon just decided that maybe he would like to build up the Invasion Fleet of a sort and us as the players, get to see how well that will turn out for the greater benefit of mankind (and pockets).
06/16/2014 09:13 PMPosted by CrymsonRaven
06/16/2014 09:11 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
Actually, it's all of the above, Mecha. Avikon just decided that maybe he would like to build up the Invasion Fleet of a sort and us as the players, get to see how well that will turn out for the greater benefit of mankind (and pockets).

What is going to happen is their will not be enough interest in my opinion until the fleet hits Koprule so no one will join and this RP *shades* will be grounded.
06/16/2014 09:15 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
What is going to happen is their will not be enough interest in my opinion until the fleet hits Koprule so no one will join and this RP *shades* will be grounded.
Well, I suppose that means more power to the few others that will be there for when the choices and decisions get made then. ;)
I do have a company in mind, Avikon, to use.
06/16/2014 09:37 PMPosted by Jester
I do have a company in mind, Avikon, to use.

Tell me what it is and I'll consider putting it in somewhere

I have most of the setting and plot in mind, I just need to fill in characters and detail and all that other boring stuff.
I think I had more to say, but it slipped my mind
I could use Dakaron Enterprises if you'd like. I still need to finish the staffing naming for key players. Only got the founder and CEO right now.
Keep in mind whole companies and backstories may not be needed from you guys
Each episode will have a very tight nit setting with only a few key players, I'd feel like it was over crowded if every big league corporation had their noses in every sector of every planet
Each episode will have a large change in scenery, new characters will be needed constantly
I plan on at least 7 episodes before the Koprulu invasion starts
Each one will play out differently than the others, some may be espionage based while you may be a mere soldier in others.