Replays and Patch 2.1

General Discussion
Just wanted to post a timely reminder that the implementation of Patch 2.1 were added in Heart of the Swarm.

Yay! *runs away*
This thread made top of the top ten list before getting off the first page? Kaivax, what is this wizardry?
I hope this thread means that patch 2.1 is coming soon™.
01/15/2014 04:10 PMPosted by Raver
soon™.

Finally! xD
01/15/2014 04:17 PMPosted by ScaryScarab
soon™.

Finally! xD

I learn from the master. ;)
01/15/2014 04:18 PMPosted by Raver

Finally! xD

I learn from the master. ;)

You have learned well my young padawan. 0_O
01/15/2014 03:26 PMPosted by Arianity
nevermind I have to go eat dinner

What kind of ending is that? xD

An honest one: I got called to dinner and couldn't finish it. I rounded off the ending now, though.
Yea! 2.1 Photon overcharge Nerf, IT upgrades and IT Egg health restoration, permanent NP on small units, faster nuke drops for uncloaked ghosts, high ground advantage restored, scourge, lurker and reaver reintroduced, reaper research for G4 cluster bombs, and suckup re-added to mothership. Oh, and lockdown for ghosts. Can't wait!

And then I woke up.
Replays will have to know which extension mods are loaded when playing back the replay so breakage shouldn't be a surprise.
Yea! 2.1 Photon overcharge Nerf, IT upgrades and IT Egg health restoration, permanent NP on small units, faster nuke drops for uncloaked ghosts, high ground advantage restored, scourge, lurker and reaver reintroduced, reaper research for G4 cluster bombs, and suckup re-added to mothership. Oh, and lockdown for ghosts. Can't wait!

And then I woke up.

So balance changes and Brood War content trump all other possible improvements iyo?
Just wanted to post a timely reminder that, [url="http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/10495761"]as with previous patches[/url], what you can do with old replays will be affected by the implementation of Patch 2.1.

StarCraft II has always automatically loaded replays (in whatever version of the game the replay was created) seamlessly, so as before, you'll be able to watch your old replays just like you always have. This just means that after Patch 2.1, some of the new, advanced replay features that were added in Heart of the Swarm, such as Watch With Others, Take Command, and Recover Game will not be available when watching replays that were created in 2.0.11 and earlier.

If you have any questions about the way this works, feel free to ask them here!

When the game is updated to 2.1, will the game load old version when playing old replays? I really don't like reloading the entire game for every old replay I watch. I would prefer if the game just stays at the old version until restarted.
01/15/2014 03:10 PMPosted by TheSkunk
From this we can conclude that patch 2.1 will be released this February, on the 9th!

Holy jesus.
Skunks post made my day. Thanks bro that's why you're MVP!
ok so.

replay functions that have been implemented in heart of the swarm are now only going to work on new replays. not on any other heart of the swarm replays.

you're not talking about NEW 2.1 features not applying to 2.0.11 replays. you're talking about 2..011 features not applying to 2.0.11 replays.

what the heck are you doing to star craft?
ok so.

replay functions that have been implemented in heart of the swarm are now only going to work on new replays. not on any other heart of the swarm replays.

you're not talking about NEW 2.1 features not applying to 2.0.11 replays. you're talking about 2..011 features not applying to 2.0.11 replays.

This happens every patch. It's nothing new. He could've said it simpler as this: old replays cannot be watched with others because you have to load an old version of Starcraft to watch them, and old versions of Starcraft don't connect to the server. It's happened for several patches already: the replay format is changed, can't be read by the new client, and as a result have to be watched offline on an older client.
oh.

non-current replays are watched offline, so you can't do the group stuff.

that makes sense.
thanks Skunk.
ok so.

This happens every patch. It's nothing new. He could've said it simpler as this: old replays cannot be watched with others because you have to load an old version of Starcraft to watch them, and old versions of Starcraft don't connect to the server. It's happened for several patches already: the replay format is changed, can't be read by the new client, and as a result have to be watched offline on an older client.

It'd be nice if they could make it backward compatible. Although it's probably a lot of work, or they'd have done it.

It just feels...sloppy this way.
Aww, why did this thread have to be put back on track? I really like it when it was derailed! :P
It'd be nice if they could make it backward compatible. Although it's probably a lot of work, or they'd have done it.

It just feels...sloppy this way.

Oh, I'm not saying you have to be happy about it. It's really sad we can't watch old replays together, I'd love to have a replay nights where you can watch old HotS beta or WoL replays. I was just trying to point out that this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point since it's happened before.

Also, Dingobloo makes a good point that it could be because of extension mods.. but if that's the case hopefully Kaviax can confirm\deny that it's the reason.
It's the same as is described in the article I linked to. Previous version activities that need a server connection can't connect to current version of the server.