Zanon's PRP Bar (Part 31)

Joeyray's Bar
Prev 1 2 3 4 25 Next
Too bad... that could have been a hilarious way to introduce a new character.

TWO HOURS LATER EDIT -

I found this bizarre:

"The ATF's gun-running operation isn't the only one in town. Anti-gun California Democrat State Senator Leland Lee was arrested Wednesday and charged with arms trafficking in exchange for campaign contributions. As if that weren't bad enough, Lee worked with a San Francisco gangster known as "Shrimp Boy" and he offered a $2 million arms deal -- including automatic rifles and shoulder-fire missiles -- to Islamic rebels in the Philippines. The hypocrisy is astounding, as Lee was also a repeat offender when it came to introducing anti-gun legislation in California, including a ban on all types of semiautomatic guns. Evidently, he merely wanted to eliminate anything remotely close to competition. We suppose this also means Nancy Pelosi will retract her endorsement."
03/27/2014 05:40 AMPosted by KnarledOne
I found this bizarre

Why? It's the typical bull!@#$ we have to deal with when liberals come into power over here. I respect their views if they actually believe that less guns will make our streets safer, but to turn around and sell them to criminals for power?

Seriously... Has nobody read Animal Farm? Or Mein Kampf?
03/27/2014 09:42 AMPosted by SpacePirate
03/27/2014 05:40 AMPosted by KnarledOne
I found this bizarre

Why? It's the typical bull!@#$ we have to deal with when liberals come into power over here. I respect their views if they actually believe that less guns will make our streets safer, but to turn around and sell them to criminals for power?

Animal Farm???? That was Anti-communism, not really anti liberal.

Both sides have their good ideas and bad ideas.
I am reading in a class this year:

The Killer Angels
Christianity and Liberalism
Selected Speeches and Writings of Abraham Lincoln
The Communist Manifesto
Frankenstein
Little Women
Reflections on the Revolution in France
Of Plymouth Plantation
The Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers
A Tale of Two Cities
The Pilgrim's Progress
The Westminster Confession of Faith
The Social Contract
The Autobiography of Charles G. Finney
The Great Gatsby
Pride and Prejudice
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Gulliver's Travels
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Animal Farm
Macbeth
Mein Kampf
The Old Man and the Sea

Some of these I have already read, even repeatedly.
Or we can all acknowledge that this is America so welcome to Corruption 101.
03/27/2014 10:14 AMPosted by Zarkun
Corruption 101.

I got an A+ in that class. Definitely my favorite semester.

@Zanon: I don't know if this was your intent, but you gave me a perfect opportunity to introduce the hypothetical character I mentioned previously.

Acceptable?

Could kind of be the 'ordinary' to your Inquisitor's 'extraordinary' whilst the latter tries to hide.
03/27/2014 10:14 AMPosted by Zarkun
Or we can all acknowledge that this is America so welcome to Corruption 101.

Corruption is a universal thing and how bad it is varies from place to place. All things considered, corruption in the USA is becoming a bigger problem. The influx of money into our political system to both parties from big businesses has left a bad taste on my tongue.

03/27/2014 09:42 AMPosted by SpacePirate

Both Republicans and Democratic party members were found guilty of abusing their powers in government in the past and it's something that still happens to this day. The idea that someone in position of power was found doing something less than legal and hypocritical to their own beliefs isn't surprising as it is human to be contradictory. I'm not condoning this senator's behavior as his conduct is worthy of censure and jail but reading your post is like hearing the sensationalist drivel coming out of major news networks that only serves to polarize the nation.

And what of Animal Farm? The biggest moral of the story is that power is authority and strength, allowing the wielder to motivate or control. Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. This Democratic senator abused his powers and was busted for it. The same could be said of any politician regardless of party lines who is found abusing their powers.

Not commenting on Mein Kampf since I've never read it but I heard it was quite the bore.

EDIT:
Still on hiatus. Probably till next week.

Maybe next month...
03/27/2014 12:22 PMPosted by Animus
The idea that someone in position of power was found doing something less than legal and hypocritical to their own beliefs isn't surprising as it is human to be contradictory.

The existence of 'Politician' as a career was never intended for America (though admittedly Senators were probably supposed to be the closest to this). Ideally for a Republic to function there should be a completely new set of elected officials every few years. Politicians, regardless of party or beliefs, are constantly violating our trust and the law.

I just pointed this one out because I found it particularly absurd.
https://www.opensecrets.org
Dang good website for all things politics in the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Responsive_Politics
@Knarled

My character just jumped out of a moving vehicle. Feel free to take it from there.
03/27/2014 10:12 AMPosted by Maverick
I am reading in a class this year:

Those are some very good books. Pay special attention to Of Plymouth Plantation. It's really... Dull... But there is some incredibly rich and important lessons and history in there.

03/27/2014 12:22 PMPosted by Animus
And what of Animal Farm? The biggest moral of the story is that power is authority and strength, allowing the wielder to motivate or control.

One of the points Orwell was trying to make was the fact that Napoleon had no competition, and an army beside him. Whoever has the guns makes the rules and Napoleon had absolute power.

Another was education. The people couldn't even understand the laws they themselves "democratically" put into place. That's why I was bringing up Animal Farm at all.

I brought up Mein Kampf because Hitler literally said that step one of taking over a nation is to disarm the populous and now America, with Democrats and Liberals in leadership, are slowly being stripped of our arms. Just a thought.

*Sigh*, I should have known this would spark political crap, sorry for saying anything.
03/27/2014 02:59 PMPosted by SpacePirate
Of Plymouth Plantation.

One of the five or six on that list I haven't read. In fact, I've never heard of it, which would probably shock me if I had, y'know, heard of it.

03/27/2014 01:54 PMPosted by Zanon
My character just jumped out of a moving vehicle. Feel free to take it from there.

Excellent.

EDIT - I want to take the time to make it a decent intro/put in an acceptable app, so I will wait until tonight when I have some time to sit down and type.
I has a cool RP idea. It takes place on Tarsonis. Zerg have been known to evolve as they live longer so with a bunch of Feral Zerg what happens when some Zerg (mostly Overlords and BW Queens) evolve to effectively control their brethren and make tactical decisions. You would start out with a small number of Zerg and slowly grow your force as you make war with other Zerg and Terran Pirates (I would allow 1-2 Pirate factions by RPERS) for resources and such, occasionally having to team up to take down larger threats like Dominion forces and such.

Just a thought.
There aren't that many Zerg on Tarsonis though. Hives would have destroyed themselves. Not a bad idea, but maybe some more work on it.
03/27/2014 10:15 PMPosted by Zarkun
There aren't that many Zerg on Tarsonis though. Hives would have destroyed themselves. Not a bad idea, but maybe some more work on it.

In Just an Overlord their seemed to be a good deal of Zerg but :/ I can't DM Rps
I would like to point out that it doesn't take many banelings to melt a marine into nothing. Or roaches to kill a marine. Anyways, it's not that you can't DM roleplays, you don't let them finish forming in your mind before posting them. I have hopes you'll have a good RP.
I've actually had an idea like that floating around in my head for a while now. Obviously I'm not going to do it though, because I have two RPs going at the moment.

I say work on it a little and give it a shot. Can't hurt. I would join.
Yes, Mein Kampf is very boring, six hundred and eighty-eight pages of insanity.

Fegel, read "Just an Overlord" on the short stories page in Game Guide.

I totally agree about Plymouth Plantation having a bunch of good stuff in it, like how they tried the equal sharing of food but then some people did not work, so they changed their ration method again-and again- and again...

SP, welcome to my group... The "lol on the word conservative" group... The group of you and me... The group that does not like what it sees politically...

Animal Farm was my favorite book for years until I discovered David Eddings and Anne McCaffrey (did I get her name right?). Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy books ever. (Not counting the unsurpassable Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy).
While I will not argue with the awesomeness that is Anne McCaffrey, you should read Frank Herbert's Dune. Excellent as the Pern series and McCaffrey's other works were, Herbert leaves them behind.
Knarled: I'll probably have a Darkest heart post for you to work with before tomorrow morning.