Enhanced pointer precision awareness week

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I hereby declare this week enhanced pointer precision awareness week

What is enhanced pointer precision?

Basically it is a setting that is enabled by default in windows that affects your mouse movement.
The software will calculate the velocity of the mouse and increase the DPI on the fly when high velocity is detected.

DPI = Dots per inch, aka mouse speed (its a bit more complicated than that but its not worth explaining)

Why is this used?

Well because lots of non gaming mice default to low DPI's due to cheap, low quality sensors and screen resolutions are getting bigger. If you have a mouse at 400dpi, which is common for bog standard office mice, it will take you 5 whole inches of mouse movement to get from the left side of the screen to the right on a 1080p monitor. Thus when windows detects you are rapidly moving your mouse to one side of the screen it will accelerate the mouse to decrease that distance, likewise when barely moving your mouse the DPI will drop to allow you to be more precise

Well this sounds great!?

Yea its not its awful. To start with this all assumes the technology is perfectly functional and perfectly linear which is isnt, its basically a tiered system, moving your mouse a slight variation in speed can result in a dramatic difference of DPI. Even if it was a perfect implementation this now means your muscles have to juggle 2 different variables when controlling the mouse, the velocity and the actual movement, this is terrible for muscle memory development.

There is a consensus in shooter games, particularly CS where super low DPI is prefered that enhanced pointer precision CAN be good sometimes in shooters for some playstyles (mostly just because CS players sometimes play at extremely low DPI because of the amount of time sniping/covering doorways etc, and need mouse accel to actually turn their character around), however I would argue it is extremely poor for starcraft. Realistically in modern CS mouse accel is very rare.

Enhanced pointer precision is probably the leading cause of poor mouse control in starcraft. It basically forces you to subconsciously be extremely slow in all situations with your mouse to try not trigger the acceleration

How do I get rid of this?

Simple go to control panel. Find the mouse page. There is a tickbox for enhanced pointer precision under the pointer options tab. This should be unticked. Additionally the sensitivity slider should always be 6/11 though this is less important. http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/sentinel_advance/faq2.jpg

(Mac users also have some prediction technology, im unsure if its possible to disable it however there is a tool called USB overdrive I believe you can use. Linux may or may not have acceleration depending on distro, lookup mouse acceleration on the arch wiki for more info)

But now my mouse feels awful.

Yup you may as well have just got a new mouse or majorly change your settings. You will likely have to increase the DPI on your mouse to accommodate. Generally 800 is the minimum DPI you want in starcraft and 2000 is on the higher end (humans don't have infinite finesse no matter how much you practice, don't gain much speed beyond this point just more inaccuracy). Ultimately 800-2000 is what I would consider the standard range for mouse settings in this game, as we try to balance precision and speed. This also depends on your screen resolution, with this being based upon 1920x1080 screens; if you have a higher res screen the ideal range is higher, lower res and the range is lower.

It will require probably at least a day for you to fully acclimate to the new settings, perhaps up to 3 days notice improved mouse accuracy. As with most things the trick to learning it fast is to not relent and set it back. If you persist you'll get to grips with it pretty fast, if you switch between the settings your accuracy will nosedive.

To practice your new mouse settings open up sc2gears and go to the tools menu and play the mouse practice game. Simple rules, left click on the green circles, right click on the red ones, click as close to the centre as possible, 10 mistakes and you're done. I have generally found people with enhanced mouse precision struggle to even get above 2000 points. Even without time to acclimate people upon disabling score higher than their pointer precision scores within half an hour, when Hunta disabled it he got 1500 or so with it on and about 3k with it off, mere minutes later. Personally I am on about 10,000 as my best atm, not remotely possible with enhanced pointer precision.

Purging all traces of acceleration

Removing enhanced pointer precision removes almost all prediction and acceleration unless it is specifically in your mouse. However not quite all, for various stupid reasons there is still a slight trace controlled by other processes. There are registry edits on this website to remove these last annoyances

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

This is basically optional.

Please tell others

This setting is on by default in windows because Microsoft have provided a simple API for programs such as games to disable such a setting if it is poor for gameplay. Starcraft (nor most games) do not do this for whatever reason. Unless someone specifically goes onto a mouse forum or thread they may be utterly unaware of this, which may be notably holding them back.
I did this and I want to throw Slitaz off a bridge!

*Starts handing out flyers*
05/10/2014 09:32 PMPosted by SliTaz
Generally 800 is the minimum DPI you want in starcraft and 1900(1920, more than this will often give pixel skipping) is the highest.

This is pretty damn useful since I had my mouse on 2200 DPI.
Unless someone specifically goes onto a mouse forum or thread they may be utterly unaware of this, which may be notably holding them back.

im one of the people who had no idea this existed. Thanks.

I'll have to wait to get my new mouse before i turn this on, but it'll give me the perfect time.

To practice your new mouse settings open up sc2gears and go to the tools menu and play the mouse practice game.

also didn't know this exist.

You know at this point... can i just have your brain? Thanks.
Only when im in a ladder session otherwise I sometimes use it.
This thread deserves more attention. Any time I hear someone say "but my micro is bad", I tell them to check this setting. It's always enabled. Those who have the balls to turn it off have much better control within days. Having this option enabled is literally what could be holding you back from getting promoted to a higher league. DISABLE IT!
Feels weird...
But I can see how, especially for smaller movements, this will help with a bit of practice.

Tnx ^^
05/11/2014 05:07 AMPosted by Moon
This thread deserves more attention. Any time I hear someone say "but my micro is bad", I tell them to check this setting. It's always enabled. Those who have the balls to turn it off have much better control within days. Having this option enabled is literally what could be holding you back from getting promoted to a higher league. DISABLE IT!
Agreed, I had no idea there were so many people who didn't know this. It's virtually impossible to play accurately with mouse acceleration.
05/11/2014 05:43 AMPosted by SwansGoMoo
Agreed, I had no idea there were so many people who didn't know this. It's virtually impossible to play accurately with mouse acceleration.

So you are saying my micro is really gosu masters and I was just handicapped? ;)
Kappa all the way :D
05/11/2014 06:01 AMPosted by Avilaus
05/11/2014 05:43 AMPosted by SwansGoMoo

So you are saying my micro is really gosu masters and I was just handicapped? ;)
...possibly. Time will tell :D
05/11/2014 06:08 AMPosted by SwansGoMoo
05/11/2014 06:01 AMPosted by Avilaus

...possibly. Time will tell :D

XD

I tried the pointer game, are there any special settings I should use GodKing Slitaz? So far managed 5600 on my 4th(I think?) try, gonna try some marine split challenge doe for actual SC2 feel. It does seem more accurate already though which is nice.
This is very helpful. Thank you sir.
EDIT: in the practice game I reached 6000 points with this off while I had only 2000 points with it on.
There are people who played with this on?
I thought that the standard was to have it off.
05/11/2014 06:41 AMPosted by Mavis
There are people who played with this on?
I thought that the standard was to have it off.

Its on by default as 99% of windows computers are used at work as an office machine.
I use a 6200 DPI mouse. I often look like I'm clicking on things, but I'm not (I'm guessing this is why I have so many misclicks).

Jaedong and many pro gamers use a 3200 DPI mouse.
I always wondered why my friends' mouses felt so much better than mine. I blame the fascists. And the Habs.
05/11/2014 07:05 AMPosted by tilt
I use a 6200 DPI mouse. I often look like I'm clicking on things, but I'm not (I'm guessing this is why I have so many misclicks).

Jaedong and many pro gamers use a 3200 DPI mouse.

Jaedong doesn't use the 3200 DPI setting. I have an abyssus though I don't use it. the settings are 450 dpi 1800dpi and 3200dpi. From watching his gameplay id guess he uses 6-8/10 on the sensitivity drivers based on trying to emulate similar boxes (from watching the khaldor vid) so he would have about 1000 - 1500 dpi.

Copying korean mouse settings really isn't advisable they have smaller hands and lighter smaller mice. If you try use a big heavy palm grip mouse designed for the western market with settings you stole of some fingertip grip asian you will probably have a bad time. Mouse settings are generally a you thing not a best thing.

Mice advertise super high DPI as basically just marketing bull to sound good, some of the recent roccat products come to mind as having DPI's beyond ludicrous unless you are playing on a cinema screen. Good watch on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVb1pEkaOI
how do you change the dpi
Depends on your mouse. If you have a gaming mouse, aka something from a company like razer, steelseries, roccat, cmstorm etc you can download drivers for the mouse on the manufacturer website and there will be sensitivity and DPI options on there. Some mice have physical DPI buttons on the mouse. Others use weird combinations of buttons. If you have a bog standard office mouse or something you may not have DPI settings, you will have to accomodate by changing the ingame sensitivity slider, or the windows sensitivity slider.
+1, it's sad that Mouse Acceleration is labeled as "Enhanced Pointer Precision" when it just lowers accuracy. There is no good reason to enable it with a high DPI gaming mouse.
05/10/2014 09:34 PMPosted by Hunta
I did this and I want to throw Slitaz off a bridge!

*Starts handing out flyers*
Haha yeah it's weird at first, but once you get used to it you'll never want to go back.