Map Feedback Update - July 8

General Discussion
Since the start of the Season 3, we’ve seen a lot of feedback regarding the new ladder maps. We wanted to provide an update and share our thoughts on some of the topics being discussed.

The first topic is regarding the map names of Nimbus LE and Deadwing LE appearing incorrect for some players. This is not intentional and is actually a bug that only appears for a specific locale. We apologize for any confusion this has caused and have a fix in place that we’ll look to push live in the near future.

The next topic is regarding the lighting on Foxtrot Labs LE. We’ve seen feedback that the map lighting produces an excessive glow effect on some graphic settings. Many have mentioned they find this distracting and have asked for a change. Due to this feedback, we’re currently looking to adjust the lighting on the map and re-publish it in the coming weeks.

We’ve also seen player discussion on the spawn locations for Foxtrot Labs LE and Deadwing LE. Some players have expressed concerns over specific spawn combinations (horizontical, vertical). The spawn locations were not altered in the ladder versions of these maps and we’d like to give the maps time to play out with their original design. However, we’ll continue to monitor the performance of these maps and if we find any major issues arise due to the current spawn locations, we can discuss the possibility of making changes.

Finally, we’ve seen some discussion regarding the differences in the ladder versions of the maps and the current community versions maintained by the map makers. As we’ve mentioned in the past, the process of prepping new maps for the ladder can take some time. Due to this, the version we use for the ladder will often not be the newest version of the map by the time the season starts. This is somewhat expected, as the map maker is free to maintain their own version of the map and make changes as they see fit, while we inevitably have to commit to a version with which we test and implement. We’ll still look to fix any bugs that arise on the ladder version, but the ladder and community versions of the map will have minor, and in some cases, major differences. We’re okay with them existing as two separate maps.

Hopefully that helps clear up some questions we’ve seen arise of late. Thanks to everyone who has been providing feedback on the maps. We’ll be keeping an eye on things, so please continue to provide your feedback as the season unfolds.
How about actually testing maps or going over them before putting them in?

Deadwing is almost impossible to actually hold blink since they can blink in from the low ground into your main.

Already its been 1 day with the new maps and already half the games against toss are blink blink blink all over again.

Seriously I am sick of waiting nearly 10months for something so simple to be fixed.

Either properly vet the maps or nerf blink I am so sick of it. No offense but it's almost as if you guys were too lazy to make maps so you just grabbed some real quick looked over them briefly and put them in.

The lighting issue is just the icing on the cake, literally if you are not playing in a fully blacked out room it's too hard to see.
Remove Deadwing horizontal spawn. Tanks being able to damage your natural from behind the rocks is pretty broken... All MUs...

Thx ♥
Thank you for the fast reaction to the concerns!
Thank you for going to fix the lighting issue.. It gave me bad headaches. Glad you were able to catch it fast.
Everyone begs for community made maps, not blizzard maps. Now that we finally have a map pool that is made up of community maps there is still mass QQ. Just be happy we have some fresh maps with new ideas.

I do agree that the lighting on Foxtrot Labs can be somewhat distracting.

Please don't change everything to locked cross spawns because of complaining, having vertical and horizontal spawns on the 4 players maps open up some different play styles, and personally I am enjoying the change of pace.

Complaining about tanks being used behind rocks, or low ground to siege a base is asinine. The tank is damn near useless unless its in good position with tons of support, and in critical mass in every situation other than ones that take advantage of terrain. Siege positions granted by terrain breathe alittle life, and situational value into the siege tank leave it alone and deal with it, just like terran deals with muta's or blink stalkers utilizing terrain to their advantage.
http://i.imgur.com/u1Jy6L8.jpg
07/08/2014 06:54 PMPosted by IMBAd
Everyone begs for community made maps, not blizzard maps. Now that we finally have a map pool that is made up of community maps there is still mass QQ. Just be happy we have some fresh maps with new ideas.

There are many good community maps, and there are many bad ones. Blizzard's mistake was choosing a colossally bad one in Deadwing. What people are asking for is choosing the best community maps, which Blizzard is still figuring out what makes for a good map.
07/08/2014 06:07 PMPosted by Berg

Deadwing is almost impossible to actually hold blink since they can blink in from the low ground into your main.

Already its been 1 day with the new maps and already half the games against toss are blink blink blink all over again.

Seriously I am sick of waiting nearly 10months for something so simple to be fixed.

Either properly vet the maps or nerf blink I am so sick of it. No offense but it's almost as if you guys were too lazy to make maps so you just grabbed some real quick looked over them briefly and put them in.

The lighting issue is just the icing on the cake, literally if you are not playing in a fully blacked out room it's too hard to see.

Posts like these are the reason few take the forums seriously.
07/08/2014 07:23 PMPosted by llllllllllll
http://i.imgur.com/u1Jy6L8.jpg

Here I was looking forward to good TvP on foxtrot....

couple things about this you can blink on any map into someone's base how about we stay on the topic of maps instead of blink…

Also the lighting problem is only a problem on anything higher than low(low isn't a bad thing keeps you focused instead of focusing on how cool everything looks).
Blizzard I like the maps and hate them too. So good for drops and of course terran's drops are the best of the 3races no question about it. Also ALOT of choke points especially on Foxtrot for tanks to just kill everything.

The reason I like this is because it makes players go air and it's fun to see people make use of the newer units that people seem to ignore like tempests which I feel like will become more popular with the new maps.

Drops are gonna be a pain in the butt. I noticed that every base is more exposed this season than last making harder to defend especially vs drops. As everyone knows terran has the best defense between tanks turrets mines PF's sensor towers and patrolling vikings terran I feel like is favored ground wise, which leads to tempests.

Now i'm gonna look at this in the zero's perspective… GG. spines not that great spores sure they're pretty good swarm hosts ok but you'll be spread thin. An idea I had is nydus networks everywhere but still I feel bad for ZvT. Their drops are the worst of the 3races, everyone knows that. Broodlords seem impossible because the expansions are too spread apart and too difficult to defend. ZvZ will be interesting on the new maps I will admit that PvZ should be somewhat balanced, but I still feel like toss has somewhat of an advantage vs zerg now with the map changes.

I was reading some possible patch updates about buffing Terran, but you already buffed it with the maps. Zerg... my sympathy goes to you the most ;(
07/08/2014 06:54 PMPosted by IMBAd
Complaining about tanks being used behind rocks, or low ground to siege a base is asinine. The tank is damn near useless unless its in good position with tons of support, and in critical mass in every situation other than ones that take advantage of terrain. Siege positions granted by terrain breathe alittle life, and situational value into the siege tank leave it alone and deal with it, just like terran deals with muta's or blink stalkers utilizing terrain to their advantage.

Reapers are terrain's version of a blink stalker Mutas are air units so they can't use terrain much to their advantage cause they're flying Tanks are too good and are always in masses and always have support with them(from what I've seen). Maps favor Terran now but I feel like the toss gameplay will be far more air based than usual to deal with tanks and stuff Thors will become more popular in mech as an outcome of this. Zerg I still feel bad for you... ;(

Don't say things are impossible because you are bad at the game

thanks
Thanks for the fast reply, we're gonna keep "feedbacking", ñ_ñ
Gotta agree that deadwing horizontal spawns seems a bit weird. I just played a game where colossus were sieging my natural 3rd from their natural 3rd. Sure I could go take the 3rd on the low ground instead, but it takes zerg forever to kill those rocks in the way and I probably would have died to the immortal attack that came first.

Those bases are pretty darn close, I bet cannons could shoot across the gap and hit spores on the edge. Or you could use cannons at your own 3rd to support cannons attacking their 3rd. Seems like there's a lot of potential for retarded strategies here.
Since I play 2v2s only now but used to play a lot of 3s and 4s as well...I think the maps are better. Old Country is interesting. I havent really gotten to play preservation enough...at this point i'm still experimenting. Feels like a zerg map but i dont think thats necessarily true.