System Requirements explained in detail

Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 19 Next
@lokito your cpu is fine, has to be your vga.
Running at max resolution with Ultra settings on a Core2Duo E8400@3Ghz.
@lokito your cpu is fine, has to be your vga.
Running at max resolution with Ultra settings on a Core2Duo E8400@3Ghz.

Thank you. :) Gotta get a new vga soon then. :)
It doesnt work on my computer because it needs a faster processor. Why did Blizzard make the requirements so advanced? Warcraft III only requires like 1.6 MHz... and SC2 needs at least 2.4 GHz. I lowered allthe graphics and sound and it's still choppy. I have to go to my friends house to actually play it on his Mac.
I'm actually having lag during gameplay when set to ultra on all settings.

Specifications:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600@2.4GHZ 2.39GHZ
O.S: Windows 7 64 Bit
Memory: 2GB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD4850

When I first played the cinematics were choppy and I heard some popping between dialogue. I updated my card's driver and the issue went away. When I reduce the textures and graphics to High, the game is somewhat playable but when more sprites come into play such as armies attacking, the game significantly slows down. I dont understand, from what I have it seems to meet the suggested specs for the game. Should I buy a newer graphics card (although it was i think the fourth from the top of the card list), buy more RAM or possibly a new processor? I dont want set the graphics at any level but ultra. This game is epic.
I've found that turning off shadows helped made the game much more smoother and responsive. If you go in your document folders, you should see a "Starcraft 2" folder, go inside and find a text file named "Variables". Open the file and find the line containing "shadows". Then set the value to 0, for example "shadows=0".

I'm playing with medium settings with a resolution of 1336x768 on my laptop.
Specs
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 @ 2.1GHZ
O.S: Windows 7 64 Bit
Memory: 4GB RAM
Video Card: Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4300 with 256MB RAM
and a slow 5400 RPM hard drive... :(
Im not a huge tech savvy on computer processors. so im just wonderin if anyone can tell me.

is my processor good enough?
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7550 (2.26GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

when the cinematics play, its pretty clippy at times, but when the higher-end detailed ones play.... its a different story. the video clips ALOT and the audio goes way ahead of the video. So those cinematics run horribly. Im well above the minimum [and on most above the recommended] requirements, but im not sure about the processor. Im haveing to run the game on absolute minimum settings all the way :/

Plz assist! :D
Isn't there that option already in the game? Or do I have to about it that way?
Isn't there that option already in the game? Or do I have to about it that way?

Yes and no. When I played around with the settings, I noticed when the shaders were on medium that you cannot select low for the shadow setting. The only way to turn off shadows in the video settings menu is to select low for both the shaders and shadows. So if you want the game to look pretty and run smooth on older hardware then refer to my previous post.

Please note that it would not completely turn all the shadows off. You will still get simple shadows/blob shadows.
is my laptop compatible with sc2? here are the specs.
Operating System:
Windows 2.5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3)
CPU Type:
Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.70GHz
CPU Speed (GHz):
System Memory (GB):
Video Card Model:
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
Video Card Driver:
ati2dvag.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1024x768
Hard Disk Size (GB):
Hard Disk Free Space (GB):
So during the Beta (from the early stages) i could play on ultra... then after a certain patch i was forced down to medium... With the launch of SC2 i have to play on low settings.

I have only been able to play 2 missions in the campaign...during the loading screen of a new mission it will just cut out and go back to my desktop with no error message. Most of my online games (while on medium) if i do not beat someone (or lose) in the first 15-20min the game will shut off on me with no explanation. I tried updating drivers, chipsets, etc etc to no avail.

Here are my specs.

Processor: Interl(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33Ghz 2.33GHz
Memory: 4.00gb DDR2 SDRAM
system type: 64-bit windows vista premium home edition (with service pack 2)
Graphics card: nVIDIA GeForce 9500GS (D9M-25) 512mb

I know nVIDIA has been a bit buggy here and there, but i would think the 512 would be enough to at least run some parts of the game.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! =]
So during the Beta (from the early stages) i could play on ultra... then after a certain patch i was forced down to medium... With the launch of SC2 i have to play on low settings.

I have only been able to play 2 missions in the campaign...during the loading screen of a new mission it will just cut out and go back to my desktop with no error message. Most of my online games (while on medium) if i do not beat someone (or lose) in the first 15-20min the game will shut off on me with no explanation. I tried updating drivers, chipsets, etc etc to no avail.

Here are my specs.

Processor: Interl(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33Ghz 2.33GHz

Memory: 4.00gb DDR2 SDRAM

system type: 64-bit windows vista premium home edition (with service pack 2)

Graphics card: nVIDIA GeForce 9500GS (D9M-25) 512mb

I know nVIDIA has been a bit buggy here and there, but i would think the 512 would be enough to at least run some parts of the game.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! =]
Ultra settings require a video card with ~1 GB of memory as a starting option. You don't have enough to even play it without relying on a lot of swapping.
If your game or computer is just closing out without even a word, you may be looking at hardware damage in general. Overheating is the most common one and heat tends to be an issue for laptops.

is my laptop compatible with sc2? here are the specs.
Operating System:
Windows 2.5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3)
CPU Type:
Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.70GHz
CPU Speed (GHz):
System Memory (GB):
Video Card Model:
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
Video Card Driver:
ati2dvag.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1024x768
Hard Disk Size (GB):
Hard Disk Free Space (GB):

No. Mobility Radeon 7500 is a DirectX 7 class card. We require DirectX 9.
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100218-0019)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 3062MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6942-11CF-1976-2522ADC2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2A02
Display Memory: 358 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
- Native Mode:
Driver Version: 7.14.0010.1409 (English)
*Driver Date/Size: 1/2/2008 16:48:34, 2580480 bytes
*Driver Date is the last driver available for Dell Inspiron 1525

I would question my system specs being able to play the game, except that I've completed- without issue- a handful of missions. Midway through the Evacuation mission, the display driver quits, restarts, and I can play for 3-5 minutes before the display driver quits completely. I understand a difference between Recommended and Required settings, but why are the system requirements so high? Is SC2 not intended for a casual gamer? Are the newer games coming out meant for high end gaming systems, such as from Alienware?

EDIT: to ensure I have no heating issues, I have a cooling pad sucking the heat from my system :) Belkin is a fine fan!
@Brian Warcraft 3 was released in 2002 (so most comps from 2000-2002 would be able to run it) but you can't expect a 2002 comp to run a 2010 game. Of course i'm talking about "REAL GAMES"

@Sinner, a 4850 "should" be enough for Ultra settings at 1440x900 (had one during beta) but if you're running at 1900x1200 i'm not so sure. you can also try lowering the phisycs which may be too much for you cpu, set textures to Medium and everything else on Ultra, if it's choppy then it's a cpu problem.

@Narse your vga is a somewhere between a low and mainstream one, don't expect it to run on Ultra no matter what (don't get fooled by the 512mb, an ATI HD4850 has 512mb but its A LOT faster).

@Sacerdos I'm sorry for your problem :S but notebooks are not for gaming (except Alienware as you mentioned but the pirce is too high). And requirements aren't so high, any mid desktop pc (with a discrete vga) can run it just fine.
When is the minimum requirements page going to be updated with the actual minimum requirements? (game to run smoothly on lowest possible settings) =_=
They are quite accurate now

2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor

128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
(Again don't get fooled by the 128mb, a 6600gt has more horsepower than some (i'd say ALL) integrated chips.
Well, it should explain that integrated graphics chips aren't good enough for SC2
integrated aren't good for gaming in general and they are telling you right there:

"Some of the more common ones that are under the system requirements:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300
ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 1150, 1250, X1050, 8500-9600, X300-600
All Intel GMA adapters minus the one in the i3/i5 chips. Those tend to run better but we don't know how much."
I have a GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 and it runs fine with everything set to low.

I also have a Phenom 8400 Triple Core processor though, so I think that's why it runs.

If the processor is doing most of the work, with everything set to low, the game MIGHT run for people that don't meet the minimum card requirements.
I have a GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 and it runs fine with everything set to low.

I also have a Phenom 8400 Triple Core processor though, so I think that's why it runs.

If the processor is doing most of the work, with everything set to low, the game MIGHT run for people that don't meet the minimum card requirements.

Got the same graphics card (integrated) as you and the game runs ok on low (lower fps since i dont have that nice of a proccessor) so it should work for most people on low that have a graphics card below but somewhat close to minimum requirements (as long as your other system specs are above minimum or above recommened tho)... games definetly going to be alot better on my ATI HD4350 1gb card when i get it in =)
I'm confused about my computer, it seems to be inconsistent.

At low settings, I can play on Bnet just fine (I've done 1v1 and 2v2). On medium it lags a big, especially when I try to scroll. It is unplayable on high.

Then, when I go to campaign, any maps that involve custom triggers (i.e. lava rising) lag me. Not unplayable, but certainly annoying.

I was worried my specs didn't meet the requirements. I use CanYouRunIt on www.systemrequirementslab.com to get game requirements and see my system. Here's what it says. . .

CPU Speed
Minimum: 2.6 GHz
You Have: 2.40 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.6 GHz

CPU Speed
Recommended: Dual Core 2.4 GHz Processor
You Have: 2.40 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.6 GHz

RAM
Recommended: 2 GB
You Have: 4.0 GB

OS
Recommended: Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit

Video Card
Recommended: 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better
You Have: GeForce G100

Minimum: 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz

I'm no technical buff. Do I actually meet the requirements? Is there anything I can do to maximize my system?

Thanks!