Influences on Map Favorites

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
08/14/2014 12:53 PMPosted by BMilo
BaseTradeTV's map intro. HOI HOI HOI

I agree with this. :)
What has the biggest influence on determining how much you like a map?
Poll ended on Aug 18, 2014
Can, we? The Community vote on maps for next season? Blizzard sucks at making maps and choosing maps even though these community maps was a great step forward but ASK US what maps we want, 90% of Blizzard maps are absolute garbage
08/14/2014 12:58 PMPosted by GeneralSezme
Can, we? The Community vote on maps for next season? Blizzard sucks at making maps and choosing maps even though these community maps was a great step forward but ASK US what maps we want, 90% of Blizzard maps are absolute garbage

Such a shallow and pointless way to make a suggestion.

The majority of the maps each season have been community maps.

From my experience the blizzard maps have been some of the better ones. it's usually the community maps that try too hard to be creative and end up giving us gold bases for Terran players to mine from...
08/14/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Nasreth

From my experience the blizzard maps have been some of the better ones. it's usually the community maps that try too hard to be creative and end up giving us gold bases for Terran players to mine from...

Habitation station wasn't even a broken map, so idk why you complaining about gold bases so much. Heavy rain was a far worse map for zerg and terran.

Everything was just so narrow no matter where you fought it sucked to be a zerg and the blink all ins that aren't all ins anymore were strong on that map.
08/14/2014 12:25 PMPosted by SliTaz
I wish there was less focus on 4p maps. Blind buildorder wins are pretty boring.

08/14/2014 12:25 PMPosted by RoboTazRise
2player map

So much this.

I auto-veto anything where I can't:
Scout the main with an early drone scout before a wall is up.
Get an overlord into the main at all for later scouting.
Get some semblance of vision along all paths near his base with 4 lings.

If a map makes it impossible to see what is going on as Zerg I will either just veto it or play purely all-in. The alternative is too frustrating >.>
08/14/2014 01:18 PMPosted by KillerofGods
Habitation station wasn't even a broken map, so idk why you complaining about gold bases so much.

I wouldn't know. I automatically veto any map with accessible gold bases because I have nightmares about infinite marines and the old MULE before they nerfed it's income on gold.

But honestly any map with gold minerals on it favors terran (assuming it's viable for them to mine there, so excluding a map like Neo Planet S). Terran is the only race that gets a serious benefit out of that sort of mineral income. Zerg and toss need gas with their minerals to make anything useful.
I like the ones that make slight changes to my standard gameplay. Alterzim's size forced me to think about how to play with slower reinforcements (and I lost several games not taking this into account!), and Nimbus has the nice dropping area from the natural base.

I don't like extreme changes, like the lava map, and I'm still scratching my head at the one where the gold bases open up a pathway.
08/14/2014 01:18 PMPosted by KillerofGods
Habitation station wasn't even a broken map, so idk why you complaining about gold bases so much. Heavy rain was a far worse map for zerg and terran.

Gold bases inherently favour Terran in TvZ, and the design of Habitation made it great for both mech and massive amounts of dropping. I would have vetoed it were it not for the mandatory 4p map vetoes. Maybe not imbalanced (because Terran was weaker when the map was in) but certainly a hellish map for Zerg against a Terran who felt abusive that day.

EDIT:
Also OMG POLL Blizzard you is awesome.
I would like some more jungle maps on ladder, they look so awesome, and remind me of taldarim altar ^^
My favorite maps actually don't fit any of these reasons completely. I chose "Produces fun games to watch" because this is one of my criteria. I also like maps that foster variety/strategic choice, as well as create fun games to play. As examples: Waystation, Bel'Shir Vestige, Heavy Rain, and current map King Sejong Station will be favorites of mine for a long time.

Note: I main as Protoss but off race about 5-10% as Zerg, and consider both races in my map choices. ;)

I also don't understand why Heavy Rain is disliked by Zerg players. Easy 4-base econ plus so many pathways to get surrounds with speedlings or use said speedlings for counters on bases 3+. I couldn't tell you how many times I lost to a 3-base 2-2 roach max build on that map as a Toss. Not only that, there were so many pro games where Swarm Host builds romped Toss players. I'm sure somebody will help me here. ;)
08/14/2014 01:06 PMPosted by KillerofGods
The majority of the maps each season have been community maps.

I know this because I'm a map maker myself, I'm saying can we vote on maps? I'm not saying "Hey we need community made maps" because we already have them, im saying we need to be able to choose the maps based on popular vote we could get 1 or 2 maps that we choose on the ladder pool, and for example 2 maps from a contest and the last 3 be blizzard maps. The MVP should probably read my whole post before replying
All of them......... except personal win percentage.

ALL

Also i dislike maps that are too big to where i cant scout fast enough, or it takes a chunk out of my economy.
"Produces enjoyable games to watch"

This is the most picked choice, as well as, in my opinion, the most vague and ambiguous one. Overlaps with the purpose of the other choices, making it tempting to pick.
I dislike gimmicky stuff like rocks blocking 3rd bases, gold minerals.... long narrow chokepoints, etc.
08/14/2014 01:36 PMPosted by Meneliki
I dislike gimmicky stuff like rocks blocking 3rd bases, gold minerals.... long narrow chokepoints, etc.

I dislike gold bases as well. Maybe something less like 2 patchs or something.
I find Habitation Station to be the best example. It produced very fun and varied games:

Gangam terrans and protoss gateway pressure into a gold expo.

My second option would be different features or gameplay.
Where's the "Map feels fun to play" option? That's my biggest thing.

My personal best win rate probably came on Shakuras Plateau, but that map was boring as hell to play on after a while. Same could also be said for Antiga Shipyard.
"unique features" is dangerous.

LT's cliff over the natural was a "unique feature"
shakuras 3 bunker wall was a "unique feature"
doodad assisted single pylon cannon rush in one of the spawns of antiga was a "unique feature"
korhal compound highground tank shooting 3rd base was a "unique feature"
arkanoide ... "unique feature"

i like map with good features. it is less important whether or not is unique.