Influences on Map Favorites

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
Thank you for putting this together, I like seeing these polls. Although I am very partial to map art style I like unique gameplay as long as it does not compromise balance. Cheers
What has the biggest influence on determining how much you like a map?
Poll ended on Aug 18, 2014
08/15/2014 02:02 PMPosted by Psione
A little surprised that Personal win rate is so low. It usually seems that people are more harsh on maps they struggle with.

If I was able to choose more than one option, I would choose it. It's no doubt that no one want to keep losing in the game.
i miss frost
The thing about the personal win percentage is, that you can always veto a few maps. And if the map pool consists of a lot of unique maps the probability is high, that there are at least some maps where you will have a high win percentage on and only a few that feel horrible.
So, if the maps are not all unique in the same way (which would not make them unique in the first place ;) ) I do not see any problem, as players will be able to choose the maps that they like the most.
I'm not very good at the game yet but I do watch and play fairly much, but personally the first thing I do is veto any maps with crazy "features". Really odd paths, gold bases, and extreme sizes tend to scare me away.
For one thing I just want to say that it is great that you decided to make this poll since this is the sort of communication I Believe the sc2 community wants.

For the choices, there is alot that plays a big role. For me personally I'd say art style, unique features/gameplay and watchable games are the biggest factors in determining which map I like/dislike.
on the subject of art style, some bw maps really appeal to me due to the sense of realism i got from them, maps that had literal roads and such things in them or desert landscapes with reddish sand, i love the space age alien tech maps as well but it might be nice to have a balance in the style just my 2 cents
I don't like maps where you can mindlessly play standard without worrying about your opponent doing something unexpected.

In my opinion, every map should have multiple things each race can abuse, at multiple points in the game, in any given match-up.
It should feel powerful, but never feel unfair, and an opponent that is scouting properly should always be able to respond.
I hate that Xel'Naga towers were simply removed, rather than refined. They could have smaller sight radius, or be destructible.
I hate that there aren't more interesting points on the map, places that perhaps offer no mineral/gas income yet still hold strong strategic value to hold, or prevent your opponent from building on.

Personal win rates can make me start to dislike a map, but when I do I simply start trying more extreme and different approaches. I have never vetoed a single map despite playing most seasons.
Art style is very often the decisive factor when gameplay on compared maps are equally good. I mean, for the majority of players, we are humble low leagues, and gameplay down here is really not that shiny ~~~

~so Art style basically decides which map gets more likes. If you observe most season favorites in the past most of them have pretty innovative visual elements
I selected "offers unique gameplay", like habitation station style maps with the gold bases and whatnot, but the art style of the map is huge, too. It's gotta look nice!! Thank you for asking the community!!!
we are humble low leagues, and gameplay down here is really not that shiny

Its more interesting in the low leagues than in the mid-upper leagues.
Low leagues let you get away with a lot of crazy stuff.
Mid leagues are when everyone is trying hard to win, so they do lots of standard stuff.
Its only back at the top where people know what they are doing so well, that they have to do a little bit of crazy or their opponent will read them like a book.
I personally always liked maps that favor constant aggression rather than build and wait
2 player maps > all. While i enjoy MACRO games, i dont enjoy them being 50+ minutes long because "omg were gonna take all 24 designated expo areas first"
i like unique maps, but what i really dislike is when the map is imbalanced or favours 2base builds like blink allins, siegetank builds or maps where zergs are FORCED to go for swarmhosts everygame...
and please no dark maps.. i barely see anything on the dark mini map, wich is really annoying :(

Edit: and no large maps please... i know the game is easier to balance on large maps, but it makes the game really boring in all match ups!
so overall i like "standart" (?) maps, where all or at least most of the styles are possible
For me it is about how well designed they are. The expansions have to be conducive to macro.
tal'darim altar would be incredible to go back to. i might actually cry. whirlwind would be cool too.
I just love watching good games! Overall, as far as playing myself, I'll take any map for the most part.
i dig 2 player maps. i don't like not knowing where my opponent is. that being said there's a certain charm to having some 3-4 spawn maps. if all i had was two spawn maps, it would probably get boring. kind of like if you had cheeseburgers every single day. delicious? yes. but it would get old.

also , gimmicks are lame. like that lady parts shaped map with the super short rush distance.
08/16/2014 07:42 AMPosted by Fawxkitteh
Its more interesting in the low leagues than in the mid-upper leagues.
Low leagues let you get away with a lot of crazy stuff.
Mid leagues are when everyone is trying hard to win, so they do lots of standard stuff.

Quite true. Mass Brood Lords are fun to play and can work at low leagues. But I imagine up there the strategy is just too easy to be scouted, or the fact that Infestor/Brood Lord is just unpopular

08/16/2014 07:44 PMPosted by Pattycakes
also , gimmicks are lame. like that lady parts shaped map with the super short rush distance.

I can never look at Habitation Station the same way again!
IcantstopthinkingWhathaveyoudonetomyhead