The Art of Terran Macro

Terran Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 22 Next
Great post, made me rethink my game, and focus on the macro side (which has become a game changer.) Before I was a upper level plat that couldn't get higher (10 - 20) now I've gone on a win streak that's pushed me into 1st in my platinum division.

I think that the idea of macro is something that every Terran needs to think about.

I'm sure a lot of terran players struggling are asking themselves 1 question

If we can outresource them, why does it seem that we can never out build them?

The simple answer is that we are not doing what's itemized in this post.

I mean, some of our actions really don't make sense from a macro point.

Queing a 2nd tank, or a 2nd thor is ludicrous, that's a rax for the first and a rax, a supply and a rine for the second

or a combination of marauder, marines and dropships,

queueing expensive units is inefficient.
this is excellent, except toss (if played well) is pretty much unbeatable right now...
The troll who reported this is a complete moron.
A better Tl;dr:

1 N Click, 1 N Click, 1 N Click
Who reported this? I'd really like WinterBorn to continue this..with replays and him annotating them afterwards(like Husky) but he can tell us his thought process through the game for some visual learning opportunities and why he plays the way he does and how it fulfills his macro desires. Would you be up to doing something like that Winterborn so we can see your art in action?
Who would report this? I sure hope there is a system in place to take care of these people who abuse the report feature....
Just tried this out, its really helped out! I think I might get back into playing 1v1 instead of team games. Yes, I know that I'm a huge noob.
Replay 1- TvP MM Banshee tank vs HT, Stalker, Immortal, Zelot, Sentry

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/110861-1v1-terran-protoss-xelnaga-caverns

This is one of my first attempts at a straight out macro game. Before this, I'd worked on one-basing toss with the banshees and marines/marauders, which prior to this game, had worked very well. But for some reason, I decided to work on macro and see what happened. It turned into one of the best TvP's I've had in a long time.

I made mistakes, true. I didn't fully saturate my natural expo for whatever retarded reason. I let my minerals spike at points, especially during battles. I didn't have enough structures at the end of the game. I was queing units so I didn't have to micro my base, but at that point in time, I knew I had the game, and was just putting constant pressure.

What I did good was the taking of the third expo, and building more structures then I normally do. I have to say, for a first real attempt at the macro game, it worked out pretty well.

This game helped me out a lot, not just by doing it, but by watching the replay and catching all my mistakes. THAT's how you learn to do better. Watch it and try to catch mistakes I made, then think about how you could have done better. That'll help you next game

It also helped me because I realized that to overwhelm late game, you need more infantry then anything. They build the fastest, the travel the fastest, and they hit hard. Hit em with mech, finish them with infantry is now a theme in my gaming.
Replay 2- TvZ: MM/ tank/ thor/ battle-cruiser vs. Ling/Bling/hydra/roach/ Intester

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/110860-1v1-terran-zerg-steppes-of-war

THIS game...is a good example of late game macro building lots of structures. I'm playing a Zerg, and for some reason, which was stupid but didn't kill me this game, I decided to play straight up and not even harass at all.

Looking back at the replay, this Zerg really wasn't that good. He never added in mutas, which I can honestly say, probably would have won him the game, he didn't saturate his gas on his third, didn't take a 4'th when he should have, and mostly 1 A'd his guys. but at the time, I didn't know all this, so I was macroing like a mofo.

I took my second quickly, tried to contain, failed, pulled back and set up a strong front. took 3'rd right after second, because I know Zerg macro like crazy, and I wanted to stay on par. Turned third into PF to stop ling/bling harass (good thing, it turns out). Started to move out slowly, then took the gold, and threw down a lot more rax. I was on around 10 at the end I believe, and was able to overwhelm him at the end of the game.

This game is a great example of why you want to have more structures in the late game, and of the advantage of upgrades.

Now, I'm not going to point out all my mistakes in this game, and they are there. Instead I want you to look for my mistakes, and think about how you could fix them, or what you could have done better. This is going to help you in your games by making you think about the macro game, and ways to smooth it out.

Note: I did lol at the end when he complained about Terran's OP and said I sucked, when I was on 5 bases, and had 10 rax, and it still took 3 or 4 waves of infantry to finally break him. I out played him in every way. I microed, and I out-macroed the Zerg.
Replay #3- TvP- mid-game macro attack:
Thor/banshee/marine/raven vs. Zelot/immortal/ void/phoenix/sentry

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/118759-1v1-terran-protoss-jungle-basin

This is a game against a guy in my clan. He's a good player, and I wanted to try out something different, so when we played I decided to add in thors to my marine/banshee ball, instead of tanks, so I set out to try to figure out how to do it. I've never added thors into a mix like that before, so this was me playing around trying to make it work. And it did.

This game is an example of the different options open to you if you go macro instead of one base.

Since I knew was I wanted to do was going to be way too gas heavy for one base, I knew I needed two, so I set out to 1/1/1 into expand. I bunkered the front, then got out a turret because I was worried about a DT rush, which I've gotten owned by before. Got my Expo up and the armory too. Started building banshee/thor/marines.

then I scanned his base and saw voids and phoenix. I then threw down another starport to get out vikings before moving out. As I moved out, I threw down the third expo, even though I wasn't sure I was going to need it.

I could have built more structures, in case the push went wrong, but the point is you can build up a powerful diverse army if you play macro, an army that is hard to stop.
Those are the only good replays I have on my Laptop. Once I get back to my desktop I'll see if I can find more
This really ought to be a sticky. Even though it has a terran flavor, it's pretty applicable to all races.
12/27/2010 6:39 PMPosted by AdamPerfect
Who reported this? I'd really like WinterBorn to continue this..with replays and him annotating them afterwards(like Husky) but he can tell us his thought process through the game for some visual learning opportunities and why he plays the way he does and how it fulfills his macro desires. Would you be up to doing something like that Winterborn so we can see your art in action?

I figured it'd be reported, because there are players who do crap like that. As long as it doesn't get deleted because of that, then I'm fine.

and I wouldn't mind maybe commentating a good replay of mine for a real time example of what I've been talking about. I'll look into it. Probably be a while coming though
I would really like to see one of your games against muta harass(hard muta harass)...because I just blow over like a house of cards when i get muta harassed(I play like *@!* basically), or a g ame against seemingly the strongest zerg build muta/ling/bling. I've been looking at 4 gating as toss, but I don't want to drop terran just because I have difficulty against zerg(and sometimes against toss when they go super pressure with 4gate).

Also thank you so much for the games, I've been recently thinking of switching over from 3 rax to the destiny cloud fist build because I always end up being way to marine/marauder heavy to win big battles. I am analyzing them and making up builds for myself from them.
dude, honestly, thanks for spending the time. Most ppl forget the the lower league players pay for this game. Without us, there would be no scII
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Its a wall of text game guide! Props to you!
thanks for posting this.
right now im platinum from AT with diamond friends but my actual game sux.
this helps alot.
12/28/2010 12:24 AMPosted by FreyaCresent
This really ought to be a sticky. Even though it has a terran flavor, it's pretty applicable to all races.

I was going to post in this thread to say this very statement but you beat me to it. But yeah this needs to be a sticky. And I'm new with these forums so I have a question. What happens when you like a post? Can you bring up all the posts you like or something?
im working pretty hard on macro right now.
i think the resources r my weak pt still.
at some points i run short
and then i put a ton of scvs, and 2 mins later i have 2k minerals too much.