Protoss Micro Tips

Protoss Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
Highly Rated
Note: If you are plat or below, macro is still MUCH more important than micro. Focus on just having more units than your enemy, rather than controlling the few units you have.

General Micro Tips:

1. Are your zealots in front of your stalkers?

2. Are your low-health units in the back of your army before you attack?

3. Are your immortals attacking armored units?

4. Are your colossus attacking clumped up units? If the entire enemy army is clumped, than focus on attacking light units (marines, hydras, zealots)

5. When defending your ramp,
A. Are your units in a concave at the top of your ramp?
B. Are you cutting his army into bite-size pieces?
C. Are your zealots on hold so they arent attacked by the units beneath your forcefield?
D. Are your stalks far back enough to not get hit by the units beneath the forcefield?

6. Are you moving units under fire to the back of your army?

7. You can somewhat kite-attack marines, roaches (assuming they dont have movement speed yet), and zealots with stalkers

8. You can forcefield the enemy ramp to prevent him from reinforcing the units that are at his natural expansion.

9. When chasing down an enemy, pull your zealots back to prevent kiting (from maruaders, roaches, hydras)

10. In order to bunker, cannon, or spine crawler bust move your army just outside the range of the static defense and put them on hold, then, attack move your colossus (with the range upgrade) into the static defense.

11. Put health bars on, so you can see which units are low health.

12. Psionic Storm does not stack, so do not throw down more than 1 storm in the same place.

13. Before an attack, put your units in a quick concave with zealots in front to help get a concave sooner when the attack begins.

14. Colossus can abuse high ground by attacking units on the low ground and then moving back once the units move in to attack the colossus.

15. stalkers can chase fleeing units.

16. Do you have functional control groups? (For example, I have 1 as my army, 2 as my sentries, 3 for HTs or collosus, 4 for nexuses, 5 for tech, 6 for observer)

17. Remember to move your HTs back once they have stormed to prevent them from running into the enemy army.

18. Make sure your sentries aren't tanking damage for stalkers. Your sentries are spellcasters, not dps dealers or tanks, so once your zealots are dead, MOVE THEM BACK.

19. With the interceptor upgrade, carriers can launch their interceptors and move away from the enemy. Rinse and repeat.

20. Spread out your dark templar to force the enemy to react to different locations. Also, the enemy will need multiple sources of detection in order to counter your harass.

21. Blink can be used to blink back the stalkers with lowest health to the back of the army. Also, Blink can be used to get a faster concave against the enemy. Additionally, You can ensure that all your stalkers will blink to high ground or low ground by right clicking to the point where you want to blink FROM, hold shift and click B at the place where you want your stalkers to blink TO, then right click past that point which will make the stalkers move thus giving the other stalkers room to blink (hold shift the whole time).

22. Moving your sentry forward with guardian shield popped can cover your zealots with guardian shield, which will help them last a lot longer against ranged units and especially marine armies.

24.Morph your HTs into archons if they are out of energy or just got EMPed. You can also do this with DTs, if they have mobile detection.

25. Before I engage I try to attack in multiple locations to distract my opponent and catch his main army off guard.

26. Bring a probe with your army and make pylons along the way as you move out.

Protoss versus Zerg Micro Tips

The goal of micro versus zerg is to allow the majority of your units to attack while only a few zerg units can attack.

1. Are you keeping your units in a ball to prevent speedling surround? This changes when facing infestors. Spread out your army to prevent money fungal growth chains.

2. Are you attacking through constricted pathways? (attacking in the open makes it harder to forcefield and you need more forcefields) This changes when infestors are out (then you want to attack in open pathways, while spreading your army).

3. Are you cutting his roach army and hydra army into bite size chunks with ffs to prevent most of them from attacking?

4. Have an observer ahead of your army so you know when and where you are going to have to ff.

5. Make sure your colossus are attacking lings or hydras.

6. Make sure your army is not attacking broodlings, but actual units.
Highly Rated
7. Against Mutas:

A. Is your army split in half? (One half in one mineral line, the other half in the other mineral line)
B. When attacking mutas, Is guardian shield up?
C. Try to make your stalkers attack the mutas and let your zealots handle the zerglings
D. Phoenix can be microed away from mutas and still fire at them.

8. Keep your stalkers near your zealots when speedlings are near (the zealots can easily run back to the stalkers, to prevent them from getting surrounded)

9. In retreat, throw down ffs behind you because your sentries are going to die anyways, and you might be able to save them.

10. You can ff over burrowed roaches to prevent them from unborrowing. (if they don't have tunneling claws)

11. Running your probe around at the natural of the zerg can delay an expansion from going down. Once your probe is low on health, throw up a pylon which you can later cancel or let it finish.

12. You can position your zealots between mineral fields or between a wall and a watchtower so only 2 or 3 zerglings can attack a zealot at a time.

Protoss versus Terran Micro Tips

1. Keep your stalkers in your main base to prevent drops, while keeping your zealots and sentries at your natural to prevent the terran from running in.

2. A stim + concave army= death for protoss so do not let this happen with forcefields.

3. GUARDIAN SHIELD IS SO GOOD AGAINST MARINES

4. If no medivacs are present, forcing a stim and backing off is a great idea. Attacking a terran army after it has already stimmed a few times helps a lot in battle.

5. SPREAD YOUR HIGH TEMPLAR AND SENTRIES . If you are just macroing up, make sure your spellcasters are spread to prevent 1 ghost with cloak to land a money emp on all your HTs and sentries.

6. Have an observer parked in front of your army to prevent cloak emps from going off.

7. Before attacking,
A. Move your zealots in front of your army.
B. Move an immortal in front of your zealots if tanks are in siege mode.
C. Right before you engage, pop guardian shield
D. Stagger your high templar, so when the battle commences you have HTs arriving in like one second intervals (to prevent one money emp).

8. If he is dropping in your base, keep a few zeals plus one or two high temps in each of your bases

9. You can ff behind bunkers and Planetary Fortresses to prevent mass repairing from scvs.

10. Do not attack a planetary fortress without sentries for ffs or HTs for storms or else mass repair will ruin your day.

11.Always have a pylon on the other side of the map and warp in zealots at the terran's third when you see the terran army move out.

12. Once the drop is in your base, always focus fire the medivac to ensure the units are trapped in your base.

13. Focus fire medivacs and vikings when you can because then your collosus become unstoppable.

Protoss versus Protoss Micro Tips

1. Always have a HT in front of your army to feedback the enemy mothership.

2. Spread out your colossus to prevent colossus-to-colossus splash damage.

3. Spread out your units to prevent devastating colossus splash damage (generally the better concave wins).

4. In low unit engagements, it is best to focus down the stalkers and ignore the zealots because you can kite the zealots once the stalkers are dead (if you have the stalker lead).

5. Focus fire one phoenix, don't just a move into them.
+1 please!
this is going to help me greatly, thank you and yes i liked
lol, and here we have an abbreviated version of protoss micro. All Protoss has to do is these 20 or so things every few seconds or our army insta dies.

We are clearly the easy race.
Well, doing all of these things consistently is what separates the high diamond players from the mid diamond players
Posted by Sciniph
lol, and here we have an abbreviated version of protoss micro. All Protoss has to do is these 20 or so things every few seconds or our army insta dies.

We are clearly the easy race.

Seriously.

Hey, OP (or anyone else), can you come up with a list for Terran micro?
01/06/2011 2:33 PMPosted by USSMidway

I can do one for zerg but I don't play terran much

Ok so

Zerg Micro Tips

attack+move

there that should suffice: )

jk zerg jk
whoa something helpful in the toss forums?!
+1
Awesome
+1
Did you mention:

*In general, put unit types into separate control groups so you can instantly perform manuevers.
Example: spellcasters, have them in a control group of your choice so you can rapidly storm when engaging or sentries for ff.

*Have high temps follow your army, not a-moved. This way they dont glide to the front lines to die.
01/06/2011 2:33 PMPosted by USSMidway

Press T.
Posted by Sideswipe
Did you mention:

*In general, put unit types into separate control groups so you can instantly perform manuevers.

Example: spellcasters, have them in a control group of your choice so you can rapidly storm when engaging or sentries for ff.

*Have high temps follow your army, not a-moved. This way they dont glide to the front lines to die.

oooh yeah i totally forgot about hot keys, great idea i will add these
01/06/2011 3:56 PMPosted by Ender
Press T.

sad thing is, its true
NVM FAIL POST For me :(
This makes protoss fun to play, this may help me one day ... it's hard to control armies when they are huge, and sentries are fairly obsolete later on, if terran builds thors or zerg has ultras
01/06/2011 12:56 PMPosted by yaegz
5. SPREAD YOUR HIGH TEMPLAR. If you are just macroing up, make sure your HTs are spread to prevent 1 ghost with cloak to land a money emp on all your HTs.

u should spread sentries also. i've won games just b/c i emp'ed all the sentries and then stimmed up the ramp =D

you can also add something about carriers. once you launch your interceptors, u can micro the carriers away from their target (i.e. kite vikings)

send DTs one at a time or in multiple spots at once against terran. you want him to use scans, not mules

Will, some good points and I will add these right now.

BTW thanks for the support, this thread is now a popular topic in the main forum page!!
Not sure if this is necessary but perhaps something about not blinking INTO the battle, players up to low diamond even seem to think this is the use. Instead, use it to retreat quickly or to pop low health stalkers to the back of the stalker ball.
Chargelots and sometimes even blink stalkers like to run away from your sentries, so make sure you move one or two sentries forward to keep guardian shield over them.