[Spoilers] Legacy of the Void Story Summary

Campaign Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 15 Next
11/12/2015 11:24 AMPosted by Panther
how did the xelnaga defeat amon when amon used the zerg against them.

Because the Xel'Naga cherished life and would never kill. Amon and his followers are exceptions to this. That's one reason why Ouros gave his power to Kerrigan to let her do the killing instead.

11/12/2015 11:47 AMPosted by SpeedStick
She had her chance at redemption when Raynor deinfested her on Char. She got to be QoB again and she was just as ruthless as before.

And the scene right before the 2nd epilogue mission showed that Kerrigan openly admitted that this was the only way, since she would be forever hated by everyone in the universe, it's better to die here like this. it proved she changed.
11/10/2015 10:15 AMPosted by Caridor
I don't think Jim died.
Kerrigan ascended and became Xel'naga and Ouros took the form of a protoss to set events in motion.
Is there any reason why Kerrigan, couldn't just assume her old terran form?

My biggest problem with LOTV was how.....anticlimactic it was.
I mean, end of the actual protoss campaign was pretty weak, very anticlimactic. Holding out against absurd numbers of enemies would be ok, if we hadn't done that on Shakuras. I know WOL did the same thing, but that time, the first hold out had you limited to marines and medics, so it was a whole different ball game.
As for the epilogue, well, the protoss mission was actually ok. The terran one was pretty rubbish IMO. Another day, another hold out (Honestly, only a desire to reach the end of the story made me keep playing at this point). Then the zerg one. I just spammed Broodlords but the things still took forever to die. My base hardly ever got attacked. Sure, it was kinda cool to have these things come out of no where and start blasting your stuff, but in the end, it was still a grindy mission.
Then the final cut scene. Kerrigan goes and blows up Amon. Ok, that's nice and all. What else? Oh everyone lives happily ever after.

Honestly, I think the whole universal evil thing was a massive mistake. Anyone remember the original starcraft campaigns? There was no good or evil. Each race was just fighting for their own agenda. Mengsk was unleashing the zerg on people, so using evil methods for a seemingly just cause. The zerg were a mindless swarm, so I guess you could count them as evil. The protoss were just trying to survive. Then in Broodwar, it was all up in the air. It was a constant war of betrayal and counter play.
Then Amon comes along and everyone joins up together and everything is lovely.........Wow! What a great and enthralling story! Let me sum it up:

Once upon a time, there were 3 little races, Zerg, Protoss and Terran. They didn't like eachother very much, but when the big bad Amon came down from the void, they put aside their differences and used the power of friendship to beat the big bad Amon and lived happily ever after!

Honestly, WOL had a good story. So did the first half of HOTS, with Kerrigan uniting the broods for vengeance. Then Amon came along and a whole bunch of !@#$ spewed from everywhere.

Very dissapointed Blizz.

I completely agree with the "whole universal evil thing" that turned up pretty bad. Starcraft 1 took place in a cool scifi atmosphere à la Alien/starship troopers and independence day/war of the worlds and that's what I like about it : bad !@# human colonisators in a remote system and their first (violent) contact with an other intelligent species that strive to stop the plague zergs are (and burning worlds on their way). Adding plots with some key characters is great but then they had to add some fantasy magic prophecy void $%^-.
I don't think Raynor would've committed suicide even if he didn't think Kerrigan survived, unless you count liver failure as suicide. What more likely happened was that he didn't know what happened and was still around only to see how the new dominion grew and had hope that Kerrigan was alive somewhere
11/12/2015 03:06 PMPosted by Flamenod
I don't think Raynor would've committed suicide even if he didn't think Kerrigan survived, unless you count liver failure as suicide. What more likely happened was that he didn't know what happened and was still around only to see how the new dominion grew and had hope that Kerrigan was alive somewhere

Not that. I believe Kerrigan did survive, but was left stuck in the void dimention.

However she was still able to contact Raynor in the real world. When it became clear he was not going to move on, she probably contacted him, asking him to wait for her.

Because the way I interpreted the last scene was that Raynor DID know she was alive, but had thought there was no way to reach her.
speedstick and scionave, thank you for your answers.

kerrigan deserved redemption since she eliminated terrans greatest enemy: mengsk. he turned her into that monster in the first place.

i know the energies went into hibrids and amon was reborn. question is: how did amon killed the xelnaga in the ulnar temple? he was all alone there inside, when he opened void. artanis and kerrigan almost got killed.

and tassadar and ouron i dont understand if they are same person or just a ghost, like scionave said. it was strange narud didnt kill ouros.
IF you hear at the end of the last mission on the Epilog as she's killing amon she says "I choose to be free" so possibly she drained all of her zel naga power to kill Amon and returned to terran form. I don't think that scene where she walks in at the end was RAynor ascending.
11/13/2015 11:57 AMPosted by Panther
kerrigan deserved redemption since she eliminated terrans greatest enemy: mengsk. he turned her into that monster in the first place.

Yes but for a lot of people, her actions weren't enough in LotV.

Artanis and his people forgave her WAY too easily. Only when she was speaking to Ouros about the essence transfer was she telling Raynor that because of all the bad she's done, did she finally try to admit unless she does this, there's no chance at all for redemption.
11/13/2015 01:52 PMPosted by ScrogDog
IF you hear at the end of the last mission on the Epilog as she's killing amon she says "I choose to be free" so possibly she drained all of her zel naga power to kill Amon and returned to terran form. I don't think that scene where she walks in at the end was RAynor ascending.

Yes but then how would you explain the barren worlds suddenly being able to support life? I always felt Kerrigan was doing that as a means to compensate for the Protoss lives she took. She knew it wouldn't be enough to redeem her, but it's the right step.
It wasnt tassadar. ouros took that form to call them into the void, even kerrigan figured out it was really ouros that was really calling her. narud was keeping ouros imprisoned (i think) and ouros used tassadars form to convince the others to kill narud and free him.
11/10/2015 05:09 AMPosted by ragnarok
11/10/2015 04:54 AMPosted by DeathNote
So jim died in a way to join kerrigan.
Mostly asccended by kerrigan.
But dead in human form.

So he gets to !@#$ her in the void forvever.

Nice.

Only those who criticize everything would see it that way

and only those who think too hard would think that.

:)

(assuming you are the person I believe who thought a bit deeper on what the whole thing symbolized :P )

Personally, I do prefer the idea of him being ascended with her as it gives us a happy ending in the end after all. I just wish it was more clear, Im all for deep meaning and subtle gestures and symbolisms but sometimes you just need to know 100% otherwise the yes or no question never ends. Rather irritating actually haha.
11/13/2015 09:00 PMPosted by Xolcor
It wasnt tassadar. ouros took that form to call them into the void, even kerrigan figured out it was really ouros that was really calling her. narud was keeping ouros imprisoned (i think) and ouros used tassadars form to convince the others to kill narud and free him.

When I saw that, I was like wait....so this is the reason they didnt use the original voice actor all along? It was because it was actually someone else? nice.

I did love that particular twist as it wasnt major but it was enough for you too go "ohhhh wait a minute" haha

I actually thought we were going to save tassadar until I heard his voice in the first mission of the prologue no way this is tassadar using those words haah
*Hits pipe*

Dude, like, what if they left it so vague because like they didn't really know how to definitely and clearly end Jim and Kerrigan's story, to like lead us all to discuss what really happened so like they can make some sort of like follow up based on like what we as a group generally agree want/think/believe happened so they can like reaffirm the general player bases' consensus on how it ended by selling us more mission packs or expansions.

*Hits pipe*

Or maybe they like just ran out of creativity on how to end the story and like needed a vague cop-out that was like open to interpretation so no one could be factually supported and mad about what like happened because nobody can be like absolutely sure on what happened.

*Hits pipe*
Jimmy never DIES c: . Maybe LotV he does... huh I am sad now.
i still have my doubts about tassadar. maybe ouros was tassadar all the time, even after he died and then returned to the void, and narud took him captive.

and we dont know how the xelnaga were killed in ulnar missions. cause amon was defeated first time by xelnaga and then reborn because of the keystone in wol.
seems to be a lot of overthinking in this thread. but that's fine, because there ARE questions left unanswered...

some observations.

- last scene, Kerrigan -unexpectedly- shows up to greet Jim. she's xel-naga, but seeing as how she has so many powers she can easily shapeshift is my guess. after all, she seems to be back into her ghost outfit.

- Jim takes off his Marshal badge because it's no longer needed in this era of prosperity, plus given that Kerrigan's back and may very well ascend him later, no need.

- man, Amon's war was real short-lived considering Narud planned this for "eons and eons". one year and he got wiped out-- the Queen of Blades Kerrigan did rather better than the super-powerful Amon. hell, -Arcturus Mengsk- survived longer...:-)

questions here:

-- Kerrigan as a "new" (and last) xel'naga? we hear over and over again "purity of form + purity of essence = xel'naga", but as far as I can tell she's a zerg/terran "mix". Zeratul mentioned Kerrigan would "realign old truths", guess this is one of them?

-- if Kerrigan doesn't care about the Infinite Cycle, then does it go on? she says "i choose freedom"-- which makes sense, because on a personal level she hates prophecies. opposite of Amon, too, whom tried to break the Infinite Cycle by forcing an early merger and destruction of everything else.
--- which leads to the question, is Kerrigan the Xel'naga doing the mysterious life-seeding? why? that's what the ORIGINAL xel'naga did.

- most importantly: does Matt Horner end up with Mira Han? :-)
11/14/2015 08:10 AMPosted by PvtJoker
- most importantly: does Matt Horner end up with Mira Han? :-)

Very important thing for us to know I think. Blizzard can we get an answer on this? :P

I can see Valerian egging Mira Han on just to torment Matt for the lolz.
Everyone is discussing the ending, and I am here lamenting the very anticlimatic and boring final battle for Aiur....... :(

PS: Stukov appearance and his revenge on Duran worth the entire campaign.
And another thing: WHERE IS THE FINAL CINEMATIC WE ALWAYS HAD IN EVERY SC CAMPAIGN????
Why does everyone think that Kerrigan does or doesn't deserve redemption? What does it matter? What was important was that she did what was necessary.