Terran and positioning

Terran Discussion
First off, I am only an average diamond player still not good enough to be masters but still quite a decent player. I'll be talking about positioning which is literary the single most important thing if your terran. It is what every player should be aware of, but its very important for terran because of our unit's range.

I am making this thread for lower league players who might now know what positioning is, or might not reconize the importance of it and maybe for some higher leaguers who still didnt realise the importance of positioning, or having hard time understanding it.

When I am talking about positioning, I am talking about how units are positioned (and defensive structures). One prime example is the conclave, which maximizes your unit's firepower while minimizing your opponent's.

If your thinking "lol, just mass MMM and A-move and win" even if your going pure MMM, positioning still makes a difference, why? for example

O - your unit
X - enemy's unit

This is what alot of battles are like

..........................X X X X

.........................O O O O

This is prety evened out, both sides are having similar ammount of unit dealing equal ammount of damage while recieving equal ammount of damamge.

But, if you do this....

.........O...............X X X X .............O
.............O...............................O
..................O O O O O O O O
In a fight like this, your likely to have an advantage because ALL your units are shooting, while only part of his units are shooting.

You could go like "This isnt real life where these crossfires work" But Lets say this is a tank battle where O tanks are spread out and will not take splash damage, but X tanks which is all clumped up will recieve splash damage from O tanks.

In the case of TvZ and TvP, your units are less vulnerable to splash (banelings, infestors, HT, Colossus) and their melee or short ranged units (zerglings, zealots, roachs, archones, etc) will have to travel if there switching targets. And their ranged unit (stalkers, hydras, sentries, immortals etc) is likely to block each other, resulting in retard dances which BW dragoons were famouse of and be more vulnerable to your splash units.

There are alot of things to factor in when positioning units; the quantity of both armies, range, splash, composition, chokes, FF, walls, ramps etc. Lucky for us, ALL of our units are ranged, meaning we can easily abuse the high ground, chokes, ramps and walls(yes, walls) to our advantage.
Now, to get to the point. Other than the conclave, we have other positions.

Lets say its TvZ, marines vs zerglings (assuming they researched speed) Alot of the time, this will happen

X - enemy unit O - your unit

..............XXXXXXXX
.............XO O O OX
.............XO O O OX
.............XO O O OX
..............XXXXXXXX

If you see here, the zerglings gotten a good surround and your mariens are getting r@ped from all sides, if zerg have banelings then this is a catastrophic situation for terran.

Now lets try splitting your marines

..............X XX........................................X X
..............O O........................................O O
............XO O...................XX X............XO OX
...............X........................O O
......................................X O OXX
........................................... X

In this case, your marines are saparated out. Although this can cause more zerglings to hit your marines, in my point this is alot better because your better defended against banelings and zerglings have to travel some distance to switch targets.

Splitting your bio also works wonderfully in TvP and TvT

Another thing you could do is corner yourself

X - enemy unit O - your unit = - obstacle

............................................XX X X X X XXX
..........................................X XXXXXXXXXXXX
.........................................XXO O O O O OXX
.........................................XXO O O O O OXX
=======================================================

Well, in this, your still taking damage from three sides, but not all the zergling are attacking, allowing your marines to fight alot better overall.

But you do NOT want to corner yourself against protoss because unlike zerglings, zealots are ment to fight with a choke and their FF will ruin your day.

Another form of positioning is sandwhich

It looks like this

...............O O O O
...............O O O O

................X X X X
................X X X X

...............O O O O
...............O O O O

Although a conclave might be easier to achieve, a sandwhich is alot more rewarding because
1. Their units are surrounded
2. Their units have fewer places to retreat
3. Your units are even more resistence to splash

Although its high rewarding, its very difficult to achieve because you have to split your army, and hope that your opponent is dumb enough not to notice it. But you can do things like medivac transportations or air units and have a sandwhich like this.

Do remember that defensive structures such as the bunker and missile turret (Dont forget the siege tanks) is also effected by positioning. If you can, try to position your bunkers so that your making a conclave, or missile turrets to cover each other while fending off the mutalisks. You can always make artificial chokes with your buildings (dont forget to mass repair!)

Chokes are vital when it comes to positioning, because on maps like LT, there are many chokes where you can use it to form a nice conclave, or to corner yourself. It also have cliffs where you can can siege tanks and have it immune to melee damage (Doesnt mean it's 100% safe)

In TvZ, you can easily abuse the chokes, but in TvP it gets tricky because of one thing = the Force Field

For example

X - enemy unit O - your unit F - Force Field

..................X X X X
..................X X X X

.................O O O O
.........FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
.................O O O O

As you see here, your army is split into half, having only half of your army fighting while other half dances around the Force Field. A conclave or a sancwhich is best when being FF'd, but if your moving your self into a choke, FF will make you cry....

Because of the Force Field, its best if you fight protoss on a open ground, or you can have some anti-FF measures such as

Ghost EMP
Thors
or just mass air

This is all I can think of at this moment, I hope this helped you guys understand the importance of the positioning and diffrent kind of positioning out there. If theres any grammer or spelling errors, I am sorry and please let me know so I can fix any.
also, if I am missing some form of positions, please let me know so I can put it.

And this has been OTL's not-so-easy way to understand positioning!
Reminds me of foot ball practice..... except with guns.
02/02/2011 10:27 PMPosted by QuantumMech
Reminds me of foot ball practice..... except with guns.

Imagine playing football with marine suits.

better yet, thors playing football.
I swear, if everyone starts doing the ........... X X X X ........ O O O O thing, then prepare . . for unforeseen consequences.
02/02/2011 10:43 PMPosted by GTnoSkittles
I swear, if everyone starts doing the ........... X X X X ........ O O O O thing, then prepare . . for unforeseen consequences.

like wat? oh. nvm...
02/02/2011 10:48 PMPosted by QuantumMech

like wat? oh. nvm...

inogetit
02/02/2011 10:49 PMPosted by OTL

like wat? oh. nvm...

inogetit

you don't want to.
I don't either.
Very Nicely done OTL. I like!
Great guide.

Added to the "Useful Terran Learning Threads Compiled" thread.

You might also talk about positioning buildings at your base to funnel zerg. Also, techniques like moving close to a unit that will run away (like an overlord or scv), then attacking, that way you get to shoot it a bunch before it gets out of range and you have to start chasing it.
I prefer to ball up my marines and just make sure the ones in the back are in range. this means moving you ball actually CLOSER to your opponent. I have had much success this way. The marine ball focus fires alot better, then when spread out. Like against banes as they approach, all the marines focus on a couple banes and kite instead of being spread out and getting owned. Same goes for zealots or just about any unit. I make sure to make my ball attack the edge of another person army that way most of there army is out of range of my army but my army eats away at there units from the side. I do use the corner technique when fighting lings. I use the mineral patches and the back of the base to force several small chokes. A small force of 2 drop ships of marines will eat through a ton of lings if positioned correctly. The ball approach does however get owned by force fields. So learning how to get out of the forcefield trap is key. Obviously if your facing tanks or collosus, your best bet is to stim run away or stim run into the tank dead zone. Collosus also has a semi-dead zone if you surround them. Above all things, upgrading your marines and even your medivac armor is HUGE is making the ball tactic work. Most of the time when I win I get alot of QQ about marines being to OP by angry zerg and sometimes toss. Reallity is I have tier 3 upgrades ASAP while they still working on tier 1 and wonder why 50 marines killed there 20 -30 banes.
02/03/2011 7:44 AMPosted by BeefMaster
You might also talk about positioning buildings at your base to funnel zerg. Also, techniques like moving close to a unit that will run away (like an overlord or scv), then attacking, that way you get to shoot it a bunch before it gets out of range and you have to start chasing it.

I'll add the building positions at later time, but things like chasing overlods or other units would be more of marine-side step, but I'll look into it.
02/03/2011 5:52 PMPosted by OTL

I'll add the building positions at later time, but things like chasing overlods or other units would be more of marine-side step, but I'll look into it.

I can do a guide on building positioning; I'm pretty much a master at turtling.
02/03/2011 5:54 PMPosted by DoomKirby

Na, you should do a guide on marine micro instead, you were pretty beast at it.

Na, you should do a guide on marine micro instead, you were pretty beast at it.

If nothing else, wc3 certainly teaches micro.