StarCraft 2: Redux

Joeyray's Bar
1 2 3 6 Next
By now, If you've seen some of my posts that is, you probably have guessed that I not what one would call a fan of StarCraft 2.

A couple of months ago, I made a post where I laid out a general outline for how I think StarCraft 2 should have gone, and generally people seemed to like me ideas.

Someone on another forum who I talked to, who I showed them my idea, said "Why don't you actually make this a campaign using the editor." To which I said "Because my retarded !@# can barely use the internet without something going wrong." I am not tech savvy, to say the least.
So he then recommend I try looking for people who are, and ask around for anyone who'd be willing and able to help.

And that's what I'm doing now.

As of today, since then, I've been reworking my outline, this project of mine would consist on 3 campaigns, Zerg, Protoss and Terran in that order, 12 missions each.
I've designed the first 8 maps for the Zerg campaign and have written out, up to the 4th mission, the general events and dialog.

But now I need to find the person/persons that can help make this idea of mine into a reality.
(I need to find my spirit warriors, A+ to whoever gets that reference.)

So if you have even a passing interest, and would like to know more, just to see if what I've been working on is worth your time and effort then let me know here.

Let's make StarCraft great again.
01/03/2016 06:43 AMPosted by Scuro
But now I need to find the person/persons that can help make this idea of mine into a reality.

SC2Mapster is the place to go.
Nobody is going to work their @ss off to make your dream happen. Experienced mappers can't even summon up the work ethic to finish their own campaigns.
01/03/2016 09:48 AMPosted by Gradius
Experienced mappers can't even summon up the work ethic to finish their own campaigns.

Sad but true. Especially since 90-95% of the community hates on the editor for being too difficult to use.
This seems to be popular, now, to rewrite SC2.

Especially the whole Starcraft 2: (Random word beginning with R).
01/03/2016 12:17 PMPosted by xer

People don't like Starcraft 2. Like, a lot.
01/03/2016 09:38 AMPosted by Retloclive
01/03/2016 06:43 AMPosted by Scuro

SC2Mapster is the place to go.

Done and done. Thank you for that by the way.

Nobody is going to work their @ss off to make your dream happen. Experienced mappers can't even summon up the work ethic to finish their own campaigns.

I don't expect anyone to that, but I do know that my role to play in this isn't that of a programmer, I'm just not built for it and I don't what this to be just my dream, If anyone is going to work with me, I want it to be because they want to, and anything I can do make the path a little easier, I'll do it.

That's true, you think I should change it to Scuro's StarCraft 2?

01/03/2016 02:50 PMPosted by ToxicDefiler

People don't like Starcraft 2. Like, a lot.

I'd say that's putting it mildly.
Anyone here interested in seeing what I've been working on so far? Just out f curiosity.

If you've seen the post I did a couple of months back, you'll already know the gist of it, but you'll be spoiled on the specific details, so reader beware.
I'm very interested. I've had a similar project in place since WoL. After WoL, I knew SC2 was going to be a flop for my personal taste. Note I said my own personal taste, not everyone's. I wanted to reboot all of SC into one giant campaign. So yea, I'd be interested in seeing an outline for your reboots if you're interested in my own out line as well.

Please note that I'm looking for proper critique and feed back as much as I am willing to give you the same critique and feed back. We both may have the same ambition, but totally different visions. Bare that in mind.

01/04/2016 08:10 AMPosted by Scuro
Anyone here interested in seeing what I've been working on so far? Just out f curiosity.

If you've seen the post I did a couple of months back, you'll already know the gist of it, but you'll be spoiled on the specific details, so reader beware.
01/04/2016 08:42 AMPosted by Einharjar
I'm very interested. I've had a similar project in place since WoL. After WoL, I knew SC2 was going to be a flop for my personal taste. Note I said my own personal taste, not everyone's. I wanted to reboot all of SC into one giant campaign. So yea, I'd be interested in seeing an outline for your reboots if you're interested in my own out line as well.

Please note that I'm looking for proper critique and feed back as much as I am willing to give you the same critique and feed back. We both may have the same ambition, but totally different visions. Bare that in mind.

01/04/2016 08:10 AMPosted by Scuro

Oh hell yeah, I understand full well that everyone had their own expectations for StarCraft 2, and that this is all just my personal head cannon, and that's perfectly fine, after all there are people who hate StarCraft and Brood War but love StarCraft 2, I don't understand why but there it is. But my goal with all of this was to write a story that builds on the established cannon, keeps with the theme and genre of the original game and that it be entertaining.
Alright so here is the first draft for mission one. I'm sure that there are specific details that I've missed when writing this down here, but this is all the dialog and notes for how I'd like the mission to be designed.

Mission 1 - LAB RAT

Infested Terran Platform Over Char

Briefing Scene:

Izsha: My Queen, I apologize for the interruption, but there is a matter that requires your attention.

Kerrigan: (Annoyed) What is it Izsha?

Izsha: It appears that a small Terran force has landed on the far side of the platform and is preparing to attack. We've intercepted a message between their forces and a command ship holding in orbit around Char.

General Warfield: (Static) All right men. This is the day you've all been training for, operation regicide is in effect. Intel confirms that The Queen of Blades is hiding somewhere on this platform, so Emperor Mengsk wants every last inch of it cleaned out. After today the zerg will never threaten the Dominion again. Operational command will now be turned over to the Moebius Corp. Remember your training and you will make it back alive, Warfield out.

Kerrigan: So Arcturus is up to his old tricks again. It took him long enough.

Zagara: My Queen, there is a large hive cluster already close to the Terran camps, allow me the pleasure of ripping these weaklings apart.

Kerrigan: Do as you'd like, just kill them all.

End Briefing

Lab Rat setup:

3 players. -Player 1 (Purple/Zerg) -Player 2 (Red/Terran) -Player 3 (White/Terran)

Notes: -Players 2 & 3 Allies playing defensively

-After map loads first trigger event, nuclear launch on Zerg base in upper left hand corner,

-Hide lower right Zerg Base until later.

-Restrict buildable Zerg combat units to Zerglings and Queens.

After missile strike, area is covered in toxic gas that destroys Zerg structures and units.

Zagara: My Queen! The terrans are deploying a new weapon that is devastating our forces.

Reveal Ghost Academy in lower right corner.

Kerrigan: That must be were they are launching the missiles from, Zagara, destroy that building, quickly!

New Objective: Destroy Ghost Academy

(If player sends units into gas, only trigger once) Abathur: Warning, biological compound destructive to Zerg genetic makeup, avoid toxin completely.

-When Zerg units reach first bridge reveal second Zerg area nuke as before but leave space for zerglings to pass through.

Kerrigan: "Mengsk will pay for this."

(When unit's reach close to Ghost Academy) Ghost: "Seriously Doc, why does this stuff smell like lemon juice?"

(After Ghost Academy is destroyed, drop gas canister.) Abathur: Possible to build immunity to Terran toxin, sample is required.

New Objective: Use drone to retrieve gas canister (either back to base or spawn waypoint.)

Trigger: Player 2 (Red/Terrans) switch from defense to offense.

Marine: "Those bastards took out the launch pad, wax 'em."

Trigger: (Once canister is at base.) Abathur: "Chemical compound effect yet crude, spinning gene sequences...Zerg Brood now Immune to toxin." (Leave gas field on map, turn off damage.)

Trigger: After Main Red base is destroyed. Warfield: "Moebius team report! What the hell's going on down there!?

Reveal Main White Base, Spawn Gabriel Tosh Hero unit.

Tosh: "General, it appears that shortly after coming into contact with the neurotoxin the zerg have developed complete immunity to it."

Warfield: "Your science division assured us that was impossible!

Tosh: "Obviously there was some variable involved here that we could not foresee, in any case if we do not retreat immediately, your men will be overrun in a matter of minutes."

Warfield: "Very well Coronal, pull your men out and return to the ship."

Spawn Medvac ship to fly Tosh out.

End of Mission.

I somewhat agree with this. The editor is such a tedious beast to do the simplest of tasks. It's discouraging unless you commit fully to it.
Mission 2 - "SUPREME"

Zerg Hive Cluster
Planet Char

Breifing Scene:

Zagara: "My Queen, I have gathered your Broodmothers, they are ready to unleash their broods on the Terrans whenever you wish."

Kerrigan: "Excellent, there's just one last thing I need before we're ready. Abathur, is he ready?"

Abathur: "Removeal of Overmind essence complete. Introduction of Protoss essence complete. Addition of combat abilities complete. Test subject stable. Ready to
awaken at your command.

Kerrigan: "Do it." "Cerebrate can you hear me."

Cerebrate: "I hear you,...My Queen."

Kerrigan: "Good, how do you feel."

Cerebrate: "Strange, different. I do not understand."

Kerrigan: "There was always the risk that you might attempt to form into another Overmind, and while I had the other Cerebrates destroyed, you had proven too
valuable to just exterminate, so I had Abuther change your genetic structure."

Cerebrate: "A wise decision my queen, I am honored to serve.

Kerrigan: "You don't object?"

Cerebrate: "Though my form my have changed, my mission remains the same. Serve Queen of Blades. Protect daugther of the swarm."

Kerrigan: (Laughs) "And so you shall. You see, only hours ago, the Terran Dominion attempted to assassinate me. The time has come to finished them once and for all.

Cerebrate: "Then I shall ready the swarm, and unleash your fury against the Terrans...

Zagara: My queen, I do not understand your history with this "creature", but surely you do not intend to allow it to command the swarm in your stead."

Kerrigan: (Amused)"Are you questioning me Zagara?"

Zagara: This "creature" has been removed from the swarm for some time. I merely sugest that it may not be capable for such an important task ."

Cerebrate: "And you believe you are?"

Zagara: "You DARE to adress me creature?! I will tear you to shreads and..."

Kerrigan: "Enough! Alright Zagara, you'll have a chance to prove your point. Go to the Bone Trench and prepare your brood, whoever survives will earn the right to lead.

Zagara: It will be my pleasure, my queen.

End Brefeing Scene.

Ingame Dialog:

-(Begining of Mission, maybe 20 seconds in) Zagara: "The queen has no need for a relic like you "creature". The last of the Cerebrates dies here."

Cerebrate: "I have defeated countless foes Zagara, you shall be no different."

-(After destroying first enemy base.) Zagara: "You show some promise "creature", but you are still weak and pathetic. You will never command the swarm.

-(After destroying second enemy base.) You are not powerful enough to kill me! Soon I will crush you.

-(After destroying last base.) You will pay for this. Let me show you how zerg fight.

(In game cutscene of Zagara and Cerebrate fighting.)

Zagara: "Such power!"

Kerrigan: "Stop."

Cerebrate: "As you wish."

Kerrigan: "Do you know why don't just let you die?"

Zagara: "You still have need of me?"

Kerrigan: "You are a tool Zagara, like all the rest, and I don't throw tools away needlessly. But question me again and I won't be so mercyful."

Zagara: "As it should be, my queen. Cerebrate your cunning is matched only by your strength, you are worthy of leading the swarm in the conflict that is to come."

Kerrigan: "Yes, I'm glad to see my faith in you wasn't misplaced. Welcome home...Zurvan.

Cerebrate/Zurvan: By your will, my queen.
01/04/2016 09:39 AMPosted by Scuro
01/04/2016 08:42 AMPosted by Einharjar

Oh hell yeah, I understand full well that everyone had their own expectations for StarCraft 2, and that this is all just my personal head cannon, and that's perfectly fine, after all there are people who hate StarCraft and Brood War but love StarCraft 2, I don't understand why but there it is. But my goal with all of this was to write a story that builds on the established cannon, keeps with the theme and genre of the original game and that it be entertaining.

For myself, I'm redoing SC entirely and making it more "realistic" because I'm wanting to exaggerate the "grim" and "dirty" feeling the original had. I also feel that unlike Warhammer 40k, only having 3 to 5 factions helps narrow the massive amounts of fiction one can write for the Sci Fi. I'll be exploring as much hard sci fi as possible with my hopeful project (that will likely never see the light of day, but hey).

Because you're talking about redoing the campign, give an outline that details important events, or even just the mission descriptions as they'd appear in a historical context.
The 2 missions excerpts below are fine, but the script may change as the entire story arch comes into play.

Ex:

Mission 1 - Player takes control of Ghost # 24601, a young prodigious Ghost Operative. You're part of an insertion with your squad mates to remove a political threat. Orders are to defile the body to leave a clear message, as specially requested by the target's rivals.
Player reaches Angus Megnsk and his family, the Target. One of the target's is missing (Arcturus, the son). The Daughter, Dorothy, is kidnapped (she's Psionic, possible Ghost specimen), the mother Katherine is executed by one of your peers and you're are charged with decapitating Angus's body. Angus exclaims that "the Horrid truths of the Confederacy of Man will come to light when ever the hellish spawn they summon to this sector descend on the innocent lives I've tried to protect. If there's any soul left in you, Ghosts - at least tell my rivals these last words. I hope to haunt them when masters from Sol steal away their power for failing to contain the demons they'll soon lure to us".
Ghost 24 pauses, shoots Mengsk first and decapitates the body after. The head is stored. The player then makes their way back to their EVAC point. Ghost 24, now obviously known as Kerrigan, shudders at the words ringing in her mind. "I've never minded killing a man who was just as easily labeled a terrorist as any other... but an honored senator? And what he said, does it have any tru-' the squad leader interrupts 'never mind his rattle before his death. We'll make sure we get you sedated for a cleaning when we get back, don't need another woman on this team with too much empathy'.

This is an intro mission, and due to the power of the editor I'd love it to actually be a basic FPS in how it plays out. It's supposed to intensely immerse the player into just how messed up the SC universe is. Anyone with knowledge of the lore will know that the Confeds are what lured the Zerg to the sector, for example. Other hints like "masters of Sol" may puzzle others. The intent to to be more in your face - to do what walking around on the Hyperion as an emo / drunk didn't do and to accomplish what simple portraits in a briefing screen could not.

As I keep listing missions, you'll get the story flow. The dialogue within the missions are really more or less filler. Just keep the important stuff, the BIG stuff.
Some time ago I had made a forum topic that was just my entire outline for how I would have liked StarCrafts 2 story to unfold and I'll link it here, fair warning it's a long read.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/18300012413

But as of then I have been refining the specifics missions and for now I'll give the run down on my planned Zerg Campaign, again spoilers ahead.

Mission 1 - Lab Rat: Alpha Squadron and Moebius Corp. attempt to assassinate Kerrigan on Char and fail. Introduction of Warfield and Tosh.

Mission 2 - Supreme: Kerrigan awakens the Cerebrate from StarCraft 1, named Zurvan, to lead the Swarm against Mengsk and who Abathur has replaced all traces of the Overminds dna and replaced it with Protoss genetic material, turning him into a Pseudo-Hybrid, Broodmother Zagara objects and Kerrigan pits them against each other.

Mission 3 - Planetfall: The Swarm attack Mar Sara, which is under the control of the Kel-Morian Combine, introduces Mira Han as a leader in that faction.

Mission 4 - Harvest of Screams: Same concept as in HotS, Broodmother was sent to Kaldir and killed, Broodmother Zagara goes to investigate and destroys a Protoss colony.

Mission 5 - With Friends Like These: Kerrigan attack a Terran settlement built inside an asteroid field, which unknown to her is being managed by the Magistrate, hilarity ensues.

Mission 6 - Death From Above: The fleet that was assigned to the Kaldir colony finds the Zerg still in the aforementioned asteroid field, and attempt to aid the Terrans fight the Zerg.

Mission 7 - Old Soldiers: The Swarm enters Dominion space and attacks a highly defended security outpost, Skygierr Station, which houses the bulk of Alpha Squadron and General Warfield's main base, Warfield escapes the stations destruction on his personal Battlecruiser, but not without a few unwanted guests.

Mission 8 - Infestation: Zerg infest Warfield ship, turning the majority of the crew into infested Terrans.

Mission 9 - Enemy Within: A renegade Zerg Brood on Tarsonis attacks Kerrigan brood, which leads her to believe that Mengsk has developed a means to control the Zerg, similar to the U.E.D.

Mission 10 - Fire In the Sky: The Swarm attacks Korhals orbital defense platform and the Korhal Defense Fleet .

Mission 11 - Domination: Basically a combination of the final two missions in HotS, Kerrigan confronts Mengsk, introduction of Valerian.

Mission 12 - Hand of Darkness: Kerrigan senses a psionic emination on a barren planet, believing it's Valerian with a new Psi Disruptor she attacks, finding Tosh and the Moebius Corp. Kerrigan is knocked out by a Xel'Naga device, her fate is unknown.

And that is my version of Heart of the Swarm.
The only problem I have with your story, Scuro, is that it is impossible without redoing WoL.
It would mean:
-Valerian isn't introduced in WoL
-Tosh is introduced in WoL as a Dominion officer with Moebius Corp
-Kerrigan isn't deinfested by WoL
-The Xel'Naga Artifact we all knew and loved is gone
-Whereabouts of Raynor? Tychus? They (By vanilla WoL) are the only reason the Invasion of Char succeeded.

Something else I'd like to comment on is A. Recycling of names from HotS is fine, but for some (Lab Rat) It doesn't particularly make sense; and B. The campaign seems rather short. I know Zerg are all about rushing, but I think 12 missions (unless they are 12 full SC1 missions) is a little short.
01/06/2016 03:04 AMPosted by xer
The only problem I have with your story, Scuro, is that it is impossible without redoing WoL.
It would mean:
-Whereabouts of Raynor? Tychus? They (By vanilla WoL) are the only reason the Invasion of Char succeeded.

Something else I'd like to comment on is A. Recycling of names from HotS is fine, but for some (Lab Rat) It doesn't particularly make sense; and B. The campaign seems rather short. I know Zerg are all about rushing, but I think 12 missions (unless they are 12 full SC1 missions) is a little short.

That's the point, I what to remake StarCraft 2, all of it, I'd be starting the Series with Heart of the Swarm, Then Legacy of the Void and end it with Wings of Liberty. It would be 12 missions per campaign, I don't feel the need to make them 24 missions each, if there isn't a good story to go alone with it.

And the Idea behind naming the first mission Lab Rat is two-fold, first the Dominion is using a experimental gas to kill Kerrigan, however at the end of the campaign we find out that the reason the mission failed was because it was just a ruse to get Kerrigan to invade the Dominion by Tosh, who is actually Duran.

In the Mission with the Magistrate we'd learn the Raynor was arrested shortly after the Brood Wars trying to assassinate Mengsk.

And Tychus wouldn't show up until WoL, again the last campaign, as a side character.
01/06/2016 03:04 AMPosted by xer
It would mean:

Points I've noted as well, however be aware this may be just an example. I'm sure he's redone WoL as well. It's hinted that a full reboot was planned according to his posted link to a previous thread.

Thanks for this Time Line layout, Scuro.
Doesn't seen much varies from HotS aside from removing the entire Zerus arch. There's also no Re-unification arch since of course, Kerrigan is still the QoB.

It's hard to follow any sense of motive here; Kerrigan just seems to be hopping around only to eventually fulfill the same arch that HotS was dominated by, killing Mengsk. There's no semblance that Mengsk is a smart, 182 IQ Dictator who knows she's coming. Some missions also seem knee jerking; such as the Kaldir mission. Feels out've place.
Perhaps I need more details as to your story line intent.

A cliff hanger for the last mission would be pretty nice - if it's a far stronger cliff hanger than what HotS has, I'm all for it - how again if you're attempting to leave Amon in? I don't enjoy that the majority of this campaign and I'd presume WoL too was focused on exposing how dumb Mengsk is only to have it suddenly shift to "Amon is the REAL Big Bad!" when we all knew it was coming.
If you're looking for more intrique like SC1 had, make sure Mengsk shows promise as a leader and offer some Protoss probing as well. Play the political game too.
01/06/2016 08:02 AMPosted by Einharjar
Thanks for this Time Line layout, Scuro.
Doesn't seen much varies from HotS aside from removing the entire Zerus arch. There's also no Re-unification arch since of course, Kerrigan is still the QoB.

Generally I like the idea in HotS, that it's Kerrigans revenge story, but also it makes sense to me from a story-telling perspective, because she is a villain and usually the villain is the character to get the ball rolling so to speak, which sets up how bad things get later in the series and starts the story with energy.

It's hard to follow any sense of motive here; Kerrigan just seems to be hopping around only to eventually fulfill the same arch that HotS was dominated by, killing Mengsk. There's no semblance that Mengsk is a smart, 182 IQ Dictator who knows she's coming. Some missions also seem knee jerking; such as the Kaldir mission. Feels out've place.
Perhaps I need more details as to your story line intent.

Oh hell yeah, I left out a lot of the details, but I'll answer the specific points you brought up, and of course anyone else can bring up there own questions.

- Kerrigan is actually making a beeline for Dominion space, the Zerg are attacking other worlds, we just don't see it happen because, well 12 missions and it's not necessary to show it, just like in HotS when she sends the Broodmothers to attack those planets, we understand the implications without actually being there.

- We don't get to see Mengsk until the final two missions in my campaign. we'll first hear about him in the Planetfall mission, with a news report that plays in the background about the Dominion pulling the fleets back, similar to the one in WoL.
What would be more sensible for him to do, meet Kerrigan's Swarm head on, or wait for her to come to him? When we face him in the Domination mission, I have several events set up that, I hope, will showcase him as a master tactician. Such as having sections of Korhal ready to self-destruct to keep Kerrigan from infesting buildings, using new weapons that he's kept hidden from the public (Archangel, Gorgon Battle Cruiser, The Odin, etc.) and my personal favorite, he has Hive Mind Emulators placed around his defenses.

- As for Kaldir, like I mentioned above, the locations we play in aren't the only places that the Swarm are going to right? At the beginning of Harvest of Screams we specifically get a line from Zagara about how she been sending out Broodmothers to take nearby planets, it just so happens like in HotS, that planet has Protoss on it.

A cliff hanger for the last mission would be pretty nice - if it's a far stronger cliff hanger than what HotS has, I'm all for it - how again if you're attempting to leave Amon in? I don't enjoy that the majority of this campaign and I'd presume WoL too was focused on exposing how dumb Mengsk is only to have it suddenly shift to "Amon is the REAL Big Bad!" when we all knew it was coming.
If you're looking for more intrique like SC1 had, make sure Mengsk shows promise as a leader and offer some Protoss probing as well. Play the political game too.

Yes, Amon is still involved in my story, after all that was a plotline set up in Brood Wars however I want to stress, my version of Amon and the Xe'Naga are nothing like what we got in StarCraft 2. Amon isn't a Dark God, the Xel'Naga aren't gaint cthuloid entities, and Amons plan is more sensible/personal then "I want to kill everything." Which I'm hoping will make him a more of an interesting character then what we got. But we'll get to him soon.

As for Mengsk, the few times we do see him in my story, I do want to push that idea of him being brilliant but ruthless, but I want to be more subtle when it comes to characterization.
Unfortunately Mengsk has to die, I love Mengsks but I feel like his role in the overall story of the Koprulu sector is finished and I don't want to keep him around just because he's and amazing character.
And I like the poetic justice for it, as we'll find out later, were Kerrigan will finally get her revenge which will ultimately seal her fate and cause her to lose everything.