StarCraft 2: Redux

Joeyray's Bar
Prev 1 4 5 6
(First Person Script)

Episode 7: Heart of the Swarm

It has been four years since Kerrigan, freed of the zerg Overmind, had accended to become leader of the zerg and cast her
enemies into ruin through cunning and deceit. But her rein nearly ended when her enemies allied together and seiged her
nightmarish world of Char. They Kerrigan emerged victorious, her broods were devistated.

Since that time, the dreaded Queen of Blades has isolated herself and began the process of remaking her various broods
into ones of her own making. Now the zerg swarm, as powerful as ever is ready to consume all in it path, while Kerrigan
readies the final pieces of her plan.

Unknow to her an old enemy has set events into motion that will once again spread death and destruction across the
Kohrpulu sector.

"Lab Rat"

(Infested Terran Platform over Char, Kerrigan's Fortress)

Zagara: "My queen, she is ready to be waken.

Kerrigan: "Rise Brood mother. It is time for you to join us. Know that you were created with my essence, and that I am your queen."

This is Broodmother Zagara. She has watched over you until now, and she leads the other broodmothers in my stead.
While there is much you can learn from her, you will answer only to me.
I have created you with a special purpose in mind you will...

Izsha: "My queen, I apologize for the interuption. But it appears that a terran vessel has entered the system and have intersepted a communication signal."

(Static.)
Warfield: "Alright men you know the drill. Intel has confirmed that our target is somewhere on that platform and Moebius Corp. is deploying special weapons teams.
I want this place clear out before the zerg find out we're here. Move out men, For the Dominion!"

Kerrigan: "So Mengsk is up to his old tricks again. Took him long enough."

Zagara: "Allow me the pleasure of slaugthering these fools, my queen. I have long desired a good hunt."

Kaerrigan: "No, I believe my new broodmother is up to the task, but be reckless. Mengsk wouldn't have risked provoking me unless he had a tactical advantage. Just wipe them out."

Mission Start:

Mission Objective: -Destroy dominion base.

(Camera pans from players starting base to locked zerg base, which is hit with a nuke that disperses toxic gas that instantly kills zerg units in it.)

Zagara: "My Queen! The terrans are deploying a new weapon that is devastating our forces."

(When zerg units move into trigger zone, reveal second locked zerg base being nuked blocking route to Dominion base.)

Kerrigan: "Abathur. What can you tell me about the toxin they're using?"

Abuther: "Biological compound. Destructive to Zerg genetic makeup. Possiblity of evolving immunity to toxin likely. We require sample."

(Reveal Spec Ops building on map.)

Kerrigan: That must be where they're lauching the missiles from. Destory it!"

Mission Objective: Retreive toxin sample.

(After destroying Spec Ops build, gas canister is dropped which zerg drone can pick up and bring to zerg waypoint.)

Warfield: "Those dam bugs took out the lauch pad. All units move in and wipe them out!"

(Several terran drop pods land deploying dominion soldiers.)

Marine: "Remember your training, and you will make it back alive!"

(After drone returns toxic conister.)

Abathur: "Chemical compound effect yet crude, spinning gene sequences...Zerg Brood now Immune to toxin."

(Once zerg units move through toxic field without taking damage.)

Warfield: "Moebius team report! What the hell's going on down there!?"

(Reveal hidden Terran base (White) and Tosh hero Unit.)

Tosh: "General, though the toxin was initally effective as your tests proved. It appears that the zerg quickly developed an immunity to it soon after coming into contact with it."

Warfield: "But the Moebius science division assured us that was impossible!"

Tosh: "Obviously there was some variable here that they could not foresee. I suggest we take this time to retreat before your men are fully overrun."

(Tosh enters Command Center, which lifts off and flys off screne.)

Zagara: "Not to worry my queen. The terrans will never leave this platform alive."

(After destroying Dominion base.)

Kerrigan: "Was this really the best you could do Mengsk. You must have been desperate."
05/13/2016 06:19 PMPosted by Scuro
05/13/2016 04:04 PMPosted by Deathwing

gotcha. So do you plan on having any "Unique Heroes" like the OG Torrasque, mojo, or tom kazansky from BW or other various heroes that werent in SC2?

I did come up with an idea for a scene were Jake Ramsey dies a horrible death. If that counts.

Not entirely sure which hero units I'll be using, but they'll mostly be the characters from SC2 since they have their own unique assets.

ah. I think sc2 wouldve been way better with the addition of some heroes from some novels such as the dark templar saga. Ulrezaj anyone?
05/18/2016 01:15 PMPosted by Deathwing
05/13/2016 06:19 PMPosted by Scuro

I did come up with an idea for a scene were Jake Ramsey dies a horrible death. If that counts.

Not entirely sure which hero units I'll be using, but they'll mostly be the characters from SC2 since they have their own unique assets.

ah. I think sc2 wouldve been way better with the addition of some heroes from some novels such as the dark templar saga. Ulrezaj anyone?

The only problem I have with that is, I have read a starcraft novel since Speed of Darkness, and while I've heard things about the novels that came out since then, it's all been bad. So I'm writing my campaign as a continuation of StarCraft 1 and Brood Wars and nothing else. But I suppose I could have thouse characters show up as hero units, as pointless call backs, but then they would just be pointless call backs.

Though the idea of having a Zergling called "Devours Children" did bring a smile to my face.
Quick question. I'm working on the Tal'darim now, and I'm not sure which design I should use for them.

While I do want to have the Sith-like personality of LotV Tal'darim, I think the whole black metal and spikes is a bit too much. Also if I had them look like the Tal'darim for Wings and Heart, I could have them use the Aiur Zealots and Dragoons, exclusively to vary them a bit more.

Again just my idea.
Taldarim from Wol and Hots are way better in my opinon as far as design goes, like lotv, they are pretty much protoss sith lords XD
Update: Protoss script is done. Just going over it for final editing. I'm happy with how Amons motivation as a character turned and have it fit with the established lore of the original games. I'm probably going to wait until I have the terran script finished before posting it.
I gotta ask Scuro, but where did the whole hybridizing the cerebrate with protoss DNA come from? Kerrigan's not really a geneticist, and Duran left to go do his own thing. I mean, last we checked Kerrigan had spent the last four years experimenting with terran infestation to try and produce a creature like herself. So where's the sudden inspiration to hybridize her Cerebrate coming from?

Also will Daggoth make an appearance? He wasn't killed in the Brood War, so he could still have a role to play (and maybe should).
Well the idea first came to me because I wanted the original commanders from sc1 and bw to show up in the story. Which was easy for the terran and protoss because sc2 introduced plenty of new characters that fit with what I wanted included in game modles. But there are no Cerebrate units in the editor so I had to work around that. My first idea was the hybridization route, which in my retelling Protoss are not immune to infestation, so the Hybrid/Cerebrate is basically an example of what the Overmind in sc1 was working towards making. On a personal level, I don't think Kerrigan would have ever killed that specific Cerebrate just because of how useful he's been to her, but that is just my interpretation. Though If I had the option, which I might, I would rather have the Cerebrate just be a brain with tentacles unit in game, I've asked somebody to help me with that. As For Daggoth, the same problem shows up, no unit ingame for me to use. But I fairly sure that Daggoth is dead, at least I haven't found anything that says he's alive. If you do please explain.
06/10/2016 12:28 PMPosted by Scuro
Well the idea first came to me because I wanted the original commanders from sc1 and bw to show up in the story. Which was easy for the terran and protoss because sc2 introduced plenty of new characters that fit with what I wanted included in game modles. But there are no Cerebrate units in the editor so I had to work around that. My first idea was the hybridization route, which in my retelling Protoss are not immune to infestation, so the Hybrid/Cerebrate is basically an example of what the Overmind in sc1 was working towards making. On a personal level, I don't think Kerrigan would have ever killed that specific Cerebrate just because of how useful he's been to her, but that is just my interpretation. Though If I had the option, which I might, I would rather have the Cerebrate just be a brain with tentacles unit in game, I've asked somebody to help me with that. As For Daggoth, the same problem shows up, no unit ingame for me to use. But I fairly sure that Daggoth is dead, at least I haven't found anything that says he's alive. If you do please explain.

Well, does the Cerebrate need to show up in person? If not then all you really need is just a portrait (The Cerebrate you play never showed up in missions, for instance). I've seen on Starcraft 2 Mapster some attempts at making a Cerebrate model. I also recall seeing something about an unused 'Primal Cerebrate' somewhere.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/File:Primal_Production_C_SC2-HoTS_Rend1.jpg
Here.

Some of the fan-made stuff:
    http://gradius12.deviantart.com/art/SC2-Origins-Zerg-Cerebrate-558425165

http://gradius12.deviantart.com/art/SC2-Origins-Zerg-Cerebrate-Daggoth-558425424

http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/development/artist-tavern/requests/40211-models-for-sc1/?page=8#p152

http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/dark-protoss/files/59-cerebrate/

Furthermore, Kerrigan's not the Overmind. Hybridizing and Assimilating Protoss were ideas of the Overmind and Duran (In fact I had at one point assumed that Duran was a reincarnation of the Overmind). To infest the Protoss you'd need to systematically attack the Khala, which was shown to be vulnerable to attack in LotV when many get taken over by Amon. Maybe Kerrigan or the Cerebrate could do something better? Corrupt it, break it down, and then infest the now vulnerable Protoss before they can develop a countermeasure.

Kerrigan's also not really an effective Swarm leader, she always needed cerebrates to control any force of Zerg of any major size. So no, killing Cerebrates doesn't really help her because it makes the swarm weaker overall.

On that note, is it ever explained how Kerrigan made the Broodmothers somehow ignore the problems that the Cerebrates/Overmind had? They're described as being not 'psionic,' yet they can still control the swarm (Which has been depicted to basically self-destruct when a cerebrate dies). Is it ever explained where she managed to obtain that capability? All of the commanders of the swarm in Starcraft 1 were psionic in nature, having the ability to control them sans psionics makes the infestation of Kerrigan (and Terrans in general) meaningless.

Lastly, on Daggoth he was never killed during the events of the first game or the Brood War, so the only thing saying that he died was the generic "Kerrigan killed all the cerebrates" thing; something you're retconning.
06/10/2016 02:54 PMPosted by Reshy
Furthermore, Kerrigan's not the Overmind. Hybridizing and Assimilating Protoss were ideas of the Overmind and Duran (In fact I had at one point assumed that Duran was a reincarnation of the Overmind). To infest the Protoss you'd need to systematically attack the Khala, which was shown to be vulnerable to attack in LotV when many get taken over by Amon. Maybe Kerrigan or the Cerebrate could do something better? Corrupt it, break it down, and then infest the now vulnerable Protoss before they can develop a countermeasure.

Kerrigan's also not really an effective Swarm leader, she always needed cerebrates to control any force of Zerg of any major size. So no, killing Cerebrates doesn't really help her because it makes the swarm weaker overall.

On that note, is it ever explained how Kerrigan made the Broodmothers somehow ignore the problems that the Cerebrates/Overmind had? They're described as being not 'psionic,' yet they can still control the swarm (Which has been depicted to basically self-destruct when a cerebrate dies). Is it ever explained where she managed to obtain that capability? All of the commanders of the swarm in Starcraft 1 were psionic in nature, having the ability to control them sans psionics makes the infestation of Kerrigan (and Terrans in general) meaningless.

Lastly, on Daggoth he was never killed during the events of the first game or the Brood War, so the only thing saying that he died was the generic "Kerrigan killed all the cerebrates" thing; something you're retconning.

Well here's the thing. The whole point of Brood Wars was that Daggoth and a number of cerebrates joined together to create a new overmind. So when Kerrigan got Zeratul to kill it, Daggoth as those other cerebrates all died.

And Kerrigan killing the remaining cerebrates that weren't part of that was a logical move since what the story implies is that any cerebrate can potentially grow into an overmind. However I do agree with you about Kerrigan's leadership skills. In fact, my head cannon is that there's no way Kerrigan would have survived the Omega mission in B.W. without the cerebrate. Which is why in my opinion she would want to keep it around, but again there's that whole, cerebrate Turing into the overmind threat.

Which my original idea was that she replaces the overminds essence from the cerebrate with protoss. She isn't trying to make a perfect race like the Overmind or Duran, it was just the only option she had to keep the cerebrate around. Same with the Broodmothers, she needs a command structure for the zerg, but one that she herself creates and controls.

My current idea if i can make the model for it. Is that Kerrigan replace the overminds essence with some of her own and the cerebrate turns into essentially a mobile hatchery. Were it can unburrow and move around like a Swarm Host unit and when it burrows it spread creep and can spawn low level units. Something like that.

I do have plans to have the cerebrate in at least two missions. First in the second zerg campaign mission and way later in the last Terran campaign mission.
06/11/2016 03:37 AMPosted by Scuro
06/10/2016 02:54 PMPosted by Reshy

Well here's the thing. The whole point of Brood Wars was that Daggoth and a number of cerebrates joined together to create a new overmind. So when Kerrigan got Zeratul to kill it, Daggoth as those other cerebrates all died.

And Kerrigan killing the remaining cerebrates that weren't part of that was a logical move since what the story implies is that any cerebrate can potentially grow into an overmind. However I do agree with you about Kerrigan's leadership skills. In fact, my head cannon is that there's no way Kerrigan would have survived the Omega mission in B.W. without the cerebrate. Which is why in my opinion she would want to keep it around, but again there's that whole, cerebrate Turing into the overmind threat.

Which my original idea was that she replaces the overminds essence from the cerebrate with protoss. She isn't trying to make a perfect race like the Overmind or Duran, it was just the only option she had to keep the cerebrate around. Same with the Broodmothers, she needs a command structure for the zerg, but one that she herself creates and controls.

My current idea if i can make the model for it. Is that Kerrigan replace the overminds essence with some of her own and the cerebrate turns into essentially a mobile hatchery. Were it can unburrow and move around like a Swarm Host unit and when it burrows it spread creep and can spawn low level units. Something like that.

I do have plans to have the cerebrate in at least two missions. First in the second zerg campaign mission and way later in the last Terran campaign mission.

Only two cerebrates made the new Overmind, Daggoth was not one of them. He died off-screen on a bus, because Starcraft 2 wanted to move away from the Cerebrates. The implication is that if Daggoth died, then Kerrigan's Cerebrate died as well, because the only thing that killed Daggoth was the lack of the Overmind (which would have killed Kerrigan's cerebrate as well). However, as you have stated before, Kerrigan's Cerebrate survived, so Daggoth does not die implicitly.

Daggoth was the oldest and most cunning of the cerebrates, the right hand of the Overmind. I doubt that Kerrigan and a fledgling cerebrate would be able to locate and kill Daggoth. This is why Daggoth's death was written as happening without the need for Kerrigan.

Daggoth is dead, along with the rest of the cerebrates. Kerrigan is the sole power behind the Swarm now. It’s possible that Daggoth could not sustain himself without the Overmind and other cerebrates to power him. We’ve suggested before that the Overmind and its cerebrates were symbiotically linked. The cerebrates were not designed to exist without their creator. That’s a partial reason behind the cerebrates’ merging into a new, singular Overmind during the early events of Brood War.

This is the only thing saying that he had died.

Well the thing is that creating hybrids is difficult, only Duran was shown to be capable of this and he had lots of help. Kerrigan actively detests humanity (see Queen of Blades and Starcraft Hybrid) so it's incredibly unlikely that she'd do something like what Duran did (Which is manipulating the terrans to bypass the infestation immunity of the protoss). Not that Kerrigan couldn't figure out how to get past thing (It's the Khala/Void connections), but I doubt she'd start by using her only commander to do so (Imagine if her cerebrate died? What then? Without the Overmind they're very vulnerable).

As for the brood mothers, the thing is that they're not psionic, which was the requirement for controlling the swarm. So it's never really explained how Kerrigan gets around this problem other than "Because the plot demands it" which doesn't really help the sci-fi angle when previously established canon is ignored (the problem with starcraft 2 in general). So I think this needs to be justified in Reborn in order to make sense and be consistent with the original's canon.

You know that the Primal Zerg Hive is a mobile building that can attack right?
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Primal_hive
So something akin to this?

Combining 'essence' from the Protoss seems like a dodgy thing to do, mixing the swarm's eternal enemies with her only functioning commander seems like a really bad idea. Not to mention it comes from left field, and kind of confuses the issue with Duran (If Kerrigan is doing this already, then why is he needed?).
@Reshy

I understand what your saying. That technically it's never stated that Daggoth joined in the merging of the new Overmind and technically it's never stated that he died. But for me that was the implication of what happened in Brood Wars.

It makes sense to me that Daggoth being the Overminds most capable Cerebrate, would try to evolve into the next Overmind and take control of the swarm and there's nothing in Brood Wars to alter that concept for me. I've never heard of that theory, that the Cerebrates would just die off without the Overmind. Even if it's something that came up in one of the books, I'm not using any of the extended universe material as cannon for my campaign. I'm only using the information from StarCraft 1 and Brood Wars as the foundation for my story and that's it.

(Daggoth and several Cerebrates merged into a new Overmind were killed by the Dark Templar.)

I have my story planned out and like I've said before, throwing Daggoth into it would be nothing more than a unneeded cameo. Aside from my personal belief that he is dead.

Just like how Jurassic World ignored J.P. 2 and 3.
Okay so very exciting developments happening over the last two weeks and I hope to make an certain announcement within a week or two.

But until then I wanted to share some of the story ideas I had for the Redux: Legacy of the Void campaign.

1. Instead of the Sith Lords Tal'Darim the main enemy protoss factor will be the Purifiers. However the Purifiers will not be mechanical robots. Instead they are a high order of High Templar that was disbanded during the early years of the empires history that became more powerful then the Conclave wanted to and hunted down, (Think real world Knights Templar) now rebuilt by the survivors of Alderis's rebellion.

2. The leaders of the Purifiers will be a combination of either Ma'Lash/Alarak with either Talis or Selendis. So if Ma'Lash if the leader, Talis or Selendis will be his Executor. If Talis or Selendis is the leader then Alarak will be their Executor. Fair warning I am leaning towards having Alarak being the Purifiers Executor, so right now I'm thinking Selendis/Talis being in charge.

3. The Purifiers will use the Aiur specific units from LotV to visually separate them from the players faction. So while the player uses Stalkers, the Purifiers will use Dragoons.

4. The player is a commander in the main story and that character might make cameos in the other campaigns. So in Redux HotS, you are playing one of Kerrigan's Broodmothers, during the Protoss and Terran campaigns there my be scenes with a nameless broodmother in the background.

That's all for now. Like I said I hope I have some news for you regarding Redux: HotS soon enough. But I don't want to say anything yet in case everything falls apart. thAT waY i CAn SavE fAcE. >:O)
Here it is my long promised reboot of the Starcraft 2 trilogy.

https://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/starcraft-2-redux-hots-mission-1/files/
Update:Earlier this morning I reposted the Zerg campaign with working and varied background music now playing. https://www.sc2mapster.com/projects/redux-starcraft-2

Currently working on the Protoss campaign and am looking to get it ready for release by some time in February.

The launcher still isn't working despite my best attempts, but I'm hoping a friend of mine who's more tech savvy will take a look at it for me, even still it probably won't get fixed until the protoss campaign is ready so it can be done all at once.
Look forward to giving this a try. I enjoy seeing people that care enough to do things like this for us. Thanks
I'm going to follow this. I always enjoy SC2 mods.
01/27/2017 07:48 AMPosted by TheMcDangler
Look forward to giving this a try. I enjoy seeing people that care enough to do things like this for us. Thanks

01/29/2017 05:18 PMPosted by Shadow
I'm going to follow this. I always enjoy SC2 mods.

Thank you, despite my problems with SC2, I have a lot love for the series and at least with the editor I've got a chance to give something back.

So currently I'm working on the Protoss chapter of my campaign and I've been playing around with how the tech tree is going to look like, so here's what I've got planned so far. The basic template will be the WoL multiplayer tech tree (http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Units/WoL)

Changes:
-Adding Shield Battery
-Replacing Stalker with Dragoon
-Add Scout to Stargate
-Replace Phoenix with Corsair
-Replace Void Ray with Arbiter(Requiring Fleet Beacon)
-Replace Colossus with Reaver
-Add Dark Archon

I might remove Dark Shrines and just place Dark Templar under Templar Archives, not sure yet.

Now the biggest change I've thought about would be to Dark Templars, I was thinking about giving them an energy bar and giving them the cloak ability, what do you think?
Update: I'm currently working on uploading not only the Protoss and Terran campaign within 2 months as well as a reworked Zerg campaign.

Like I've mentioned before, the tech trees are being reworked to include more of the SC1 units, and the story has been streamlined a bit more, bringing each campaign down to 10 missions.
This seems like a pretty cool project. Best of luck m8