Cartoonish Graphics or Death?

General Discussion
Death animations from fire/acid and such are awesome, so are exploding marines and over-dramatic ghosts.
Pretty much I'm fini with the graphics and if they were darker/better by default, my already crappy laptop would melt (getting a decent desktop soon though)
I don't know... I guess its just sad to see Blizzard ditch the original StarCraft graphics and make a new engine to make all their games... but whatever. Not the actual graphics, just the "style"...

You don't need cartoonish gay looking graphics to be able to run on low ....

I still love the game i just find it sad it looks.. lame.. looks aren't everything of course =)

Blizzard was better before they were bought out and started making wow junk...

Think about how much worse it is for Diablo. Diablo 1:Totally gothic, gritty, and sinister; Diablo 3: Isometric world of warcraft.
I dont think it is acartoony
Think about how very much worse it is for Diablo. Diablo 1:Totally gothic, gritty, and sinister; Diablo 3: Isometric world of warcraft.

Haven't checked D3, its that bad? I mean the franchise's name is freaking Diablo (spanish for the Devil) so gothic graphics are a must on that one *rages*
03/29/2011 4:19 PMPosted by Vexinize

Why post something not based in reality? Ignorant, or misinformed?
03/29/2011 5:33 PMPosted by Bazing

Why post something not based in reality? Ignorant, or misinformed?

I'd guess both. People like that lack understanding about mergers and such in general, as well as this specific one, and have been misinformed by the other people who posted the same thing all over the place.
03/29/2011 5:33 PMPosted by Jackos
Haven't checked D3, its that bad? I mean the franchise's name is freaking Diablo (spanish for the Devil) so gothic graphics are a must on that one *rages*

I think it actually looks pretty cool. And you have to take into account it isn't finished. Shortly before SC2 beta all the images coming out looked approximately like medium settings; then finally they did the final touches and playing on Ultra looked a lot darker and more detailed. I imagine it will be the same with D3.

That said, you always need to keep in mind that Blizzard wants to always have games that most people can play.
03/29/2011 5:37 PMPosted by TheDoctor
It's not. People are idiots/fear mongering.

I... hurts... agree with The Doctor...

EMERGENCY TEMPORAL SHIFT!

alienware computer,

lowest graphics

FPS issues

Wat.
03/29/2011 5:33 PMPosted by Jackos
Think about how very much worse it is for Diablo. Diablo 1:Totally gothic, gritty, and sinister; Diablo 3: Isometric world of warcraft.

It's not so much that it's bad; the style is just much more colorful and exaggerated. It's still going to be an awesome game I'm sure, but I miss the original sound/music/artstyle.
It's not. People are idiots/fear mongering.

Whether you believe it's good, bad, or somewhere in between, it can't be denied that the games style has changed dramatically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0M4sksBOtI
03/29/2011 5:47 PMPosted by Deathlust
It's not so much that it's bad; the style is just much more colorful and exaggerated. It's still going to be an awesome game I'm sure, but I miss the original sound/music/artstyle.

It's really not that bad. From what they've posted, and from playing at BlizzCon, the only real difference (other than improved graphics) is that they took out the light radius, which I don't miss. Having hordes of monsters climbing up the walls out of pits you can't see the bottom of is way cooler than hearing hordes of monsters you just can't see yet, at least in my opinion.

Also, the way things looked in early SC2 shots were based on lower settings and the final game came out looking a lot better. I expect D3 to be just as Gothic an gory when it's out as the first 2, and with a more fun to use interface and skill system.
This game is more about playing it and the strategy involved, not so much about how amazing the graphics and story are. That's more in the realm of MMOs and FPS among other more up close and personal games.

I play on minimum graphics, but during a match I'm far too busy going "OMG MACRO. MOAR PROBES MOAR STALKERS MOARRRRR." to pay attention to the graphics.
There's something to be said about being able to recognize the sprites in the game world as opposed to realistic brown on brown with grey and orange highlights crapped out as fast as your GPU can digest and throw-up the bloom effects.

If you're playing video games for the graphics, then you're doing it wrong.
My computer can barely handle the graphics as is, sorry that the quadruple digit graphics card your dad's money bought you isn't running at full capacity.