Matchmaking and Regional Game Server Changes

General Discussion
In the upcoming Patch 3.2, we will be making a slight adjustment to the matchmaker so that the “Best Match” game site selection option is always used for players at the Masters level and above. This option will be used for all players who fall into this skill range even if they have a different preferred game server selected in their Options > Language and Region > Preferred Game Server drop down.

We are making this change based on our own internal monitoring as well as feedback we have received from players who have expressed some continued difficulty in finding quality matches at this skill range. We made an adjustment to wait times at the top of the ladder back during the season roll in February, and the change outlined here represents a continual refinement on that same goal. To be clear, this change affects all matchmaking modes, not just 1v1. As always, we will continue monitoring the state of the matchmaker and we welcome any additional feedback that you may have.
WHOA NELLY I THINK I JUST DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN

Correct me if i'm wrong but, selecting best match will give us master level games ONLY, but also at the risk of playing on server that have 200+ MS?
so quality matches vs lag?.. I'm gonna give some guy a quality match while i lag ..
03/21/2016 07:09 PMPosted by llllllllllll
so quality matches vs lag?.. I'm gonna give some guy a quality match while i lag ..

It's probably not going to be a huge deal, even when you play on best match now you spend 1~3 games per session actually getting that kind of terrible lag.

I for one love this change and hope it goes through, after having such terrible team games for the last 6 months.
i guess it can't hurt practicing real situations for qualifiers
03/21/2016 07:38 PMPosted by llllllllllll
i guess it can't hurt practicing real situations for qualifiers

? Not sure what this comment means.
For a moment like this......
This change makes the most sense. The top league should be a test of who is the best of the server, not the sub-server.
This only took a year to accomplish clap clap clap
there were also people abusing this system by playing on Brazil only to increase their win rate and win trade
About damn time.
Does it mean there are too few players in master league to find a similar opponent?
03/22/2016 02:21 AMPosted by Destruktor
Does it mean there are too few players in master league to find a similar opponent?

Highly unlikely. Even if there was a small pool of players those players should be playing among themselves and not smashing diamond ~ bronze league like we have in team games for the last 6 months.
this is exactly what we want, to get games where we autolose due to 200 ping vs people that shouldn't even be playing on this server
Now since they matching pros I might play against u now. @protech
03/22/2016 04:01 AMPosted by Sedative
this is exactly what we want, to get games where we autolose due to 200 ping vs people that shouldn't even be playing on this server

Oh no I'll actually have to play an evenly matched game, the horror.
qualifiers.. lol as in iem dreamhack etc
... Thanks bud time for 200 ping while i play some kid !@#$ing around with libs... time to stay forever diamond
For any of you unaware, the current implementation of "preferred server" literally prevents you from playing on anything other than the server you pick, which means you are not being matchmade against people at your MMR, you are being matchmade against people "somewhat close" to your MMR only on that regional server. For someone on the USwest, picking that server means you CAN NOT play anyone that is set to US east or US central.