Let's face it - We're here to stay

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
In mid March, I reached the point where, if Starcraft II wasn't my favorite game, I would have quit, at least for a serious length of time. Between the meta and the negativity in the community, I felt a sharp disconnect. I was still having fun, but the style I was expected to play and the ways things were going with so many of my friends moving on to Heroes of the Storm or other games gave me little desire to play, stream, or talk about Starcraft. This coupled with the developers' decision to keep the flying Siege Tank and not push diversity of balance and design made me feel like I was being pushed away. Many people have expressed this sort of thing over the years. But some come back, and new people come in.

Here, in essence, is my message to you guys. You each know who you are. If you've been here since the beginning, through all the ups and downs, drama and meta shifts, and balance changes galore and you still play 1v1, team games, arcade, or watch the E-sports, I salute you. You're a true fan of Starcraft.

So let's face it. There's nothing like Starcraft. No matter how miffed we get or frustrated, we keep coming back, because this game is a live, competitive, and still awesome sci-fi RTS that has been captivating and making fans - among the most hardcore I've ever seen anywhere - for 18 years.

I want you to know that I am honored and proud to be counted among your number. Long live Starcraft and its community. I'll see you guys on the ladder.
Amen.

No matter how passionate I get for something else, or how long I leave, there will always be a part of me that will love this game.

I'm a competitive person, and every single time I leave SC2 for a long period of time something always tells me "Your work isn't done"

It will probably stay that way until I win Blizzcon or something, but whatever, I'll stay till it's done.
Very well said. I feel the same way. There's no game like starcraft. It is one of a kind.
Agreed. Despite the high amount of trolls and doomsayers on the forum, I'm still enjoying the game.

I do love this game. And I played Brood War a lot. It's not perfect, but LotV is miles ahead of HotS, even if it has its flaws. I love watching tournaments and streams. I don't see myself leaving this game in the near future. I don't have as much free time to play now than in the past, but that's okay, I'm just trying to have as much fun as possible, playing a RTS, my favorite game genre.
05/08/2016 09:54 PMPosted by Doncroft
I'll see you guys on the ladder.

Lol no you won't. This game is no fun for me and even though I've been playing since brood war, I do not enjoy playing it atm.

You won't see me till a meaningful balance patch comes out that has design changes instead of balance changes. I'm not have fun with the game at all.

But who knows, maybe that's just me, and the other several tens of thousands (hundred+ thousands?) who watched wol tournaments that aren't watching any lotv tournaments.
I didn't play any multiplayer in HoTS but I'm a veteran of SC/BW (addicted to that one since the beginning), and WoL. Didn't really get into war3, i kinda hated that one.

But yes even after a 6 year break here I am back again. And having a blast. It did take me a while to get adjusted to the speed of the game, starting with 12 workers really speeds things up lol. I just recently played a 3on3 in HotS and it just seemed so slow to get the game going, whereas in LotV stuff's happening right away
05/08/2016 10:08 PMPosted by JohnScottMVP
Lol no you won't. This game is no fun for me and even though I've been playing since brood war, I do not enjoy playing it atm.

Then you wouldn't be one of the people I wrote to in the OP. Except you are, because you're still playing. So why won't I metaphorically "see you on the ladder" (literal MMR separation aside)?

But who knows, maybe that's just me, and the other several tens of thousands (hundred+ thousands?) who watched wol tournaments that aren't watching any lotv tournaments.

It's a pity isn't it? The quality of competition and gameplay now is 10x better than back then, and so fewer people are there to enjoy it. Their loss, I say.

05/08/2016 10:09 PMPosted by ElNino
But yes even after a 6 year break here I am back again. And having a blast. It did take me a while to get adjusted to the speed of the game, starting with 12 workers really speeds things up lol. I just recently played a 3on3 in HotS and it just seemed so slow to get the game going, whereas in LotV stuff's happening right away

I'm currently using most of my free time on Overwatch, but that's because the open beta is temporary and fresh. Starcraft is always in the back of my mind, and I don't want to go another month without 1v1ing. The spark's still there.
05/08/2016 10:11 PMPosted by Doncroft

Then you're not one of the people I wrote to in the OP. Except you are, because you're still playing. So why won't I metaphorically "see you on the ladder" (literal MMR separation aside)?

05/08/2016 10:09 PMPosted by ElNino

I'm currently using most of my free time on Overwatch, but that's because the open beta is temporary and fresh. Starcraft is always in the back of my mind, and I don't want to go another month without 1v1ing. The spark's still there.

It's called wol bud. Far better game imo.
05/08/2016 10:13 PMPosted by JohnScottMVP
It's called wol bud. Far better game imo.

Agree to disagree, buddy of mine. ♥
ugh no thanks to overwatch. for some reason FPS games give me motion sickness. couldn't ever play em since counterstrike
05/08/2016 10:14 PMPosted by ElNino
ugh no thanks to overwatch. for some reason FPS games give me motion sickness. couldn't ever play em since counterstrike

For me, Overwatch has brought back a genre of games I used to love, but the newer Halo and CoD games really let me down. Tried getting into CS:GO; didn't click with me. I've played 60 hours of Overwatch QMs and still can't get enough. It's easily replaced Heroes of the Storm for me, but not Starcraft. Because Starcraft satisfies a taste nothing else does.
I kind of skiped Host, it was a disaster TBH, at some point I enjoyed it when there were craziness over the place and many things seemed unpredictable... then the meta established, and the game became boring even to watch.

Right now I feel the game is way better than HotS and I hope the Dev Team can fix many issues in the near future, but at least I am enjoying getting "good" again. My lvl droped so badly I feel sad sometimes losing against stupid things and even when winning against noobs and knowing I need to improve to reach my old level.

But I recovered a lot of "pashun" for the pro games, but I hope they don't turn to be again Same Build vs Same Build and Turrtle or All In games mainly

EDIT: Doncroft, check Battlefield 1, my gosh, that will be huge, even attracted me who never liked Battlefield and abandoned COD when they started Modern Warfare.

Didn't realize you managed to get your MMR above terrible league.
Viva la Starcraft.

You won't see me till a meaningful balance patch comes out that has design changes instead of balance changes. I'm not have fun with the game at all.

Surprising to hear that from someone with a 76-13 rec in masters. I'd think with those kind of stats in your league you would be the last person to say anything about balance lol. Still plenty impressive if i might say.
Johnscott how did you get 76-13

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Surprising to hear that from someone with a 76-13 rec in masters. I'd think with those kind of stats in your league you would be the last person to say anything about balance lol. Still plenty impressive if i might say.

It's called WoL.

Gj writing pompous responses when you don't have your facts straight.
05/08/2016 10:20 PMPosted by ElNino

Sounds like he's playing exclusively WoL, which has much lighter competition near the top due to most of the hardcore fanbase playing LotV. That's why his WL is so skewed. He's clearly disproportionately skilled at WoL compared to the players available to play against.
Some of the player in wol did not like hots and left the game. Its natural that the playerbase of hots is smaller than that of wol. Same will happen with every change and expansion. Its the natural way of things, that happens to all games that have expansions (happens also to movies with multiple parts).

If lotv wouldnt be a standalone, everyone who wants to play lotv would need to buy wol and hots. Means wol would have sold always more games than hots and hots more than lotv.

It would take the hype of a real new game to get new blood. But i believe co-op and campaign dlcs will have that effect over time. Blizzard is a very big company with a lot of successful games. They can support sc2 forever. One day it will become big again because the game it-self is really good.
Johnscott how did you get 76-13

It's called WoL.

Gj writing pompous responses when you don't have your facts straight.

how was that a pompous response i was giving the dude props
05/08/2016 10:22 PMPosted by Doncroft
05/08/2016 10:20 PMPosted by ElNino

Sounds like he's playing exclusively WoL, which has much lighter competition near the top due to most of the hardcore fanbase playing LotV. That's why his WL is so scewed. He's clearly disproportionately skilled at WoL compared to the players available to play against.

Got it, i guess profiles don't say which version they're playing so i assume it's all LotV stats :P