Let's face it - We're here to stay

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
I've been playing SC2 since the first week of WOL beta. My passion for the game was unshakeable until the swarm host era.

In WOL, even though i was forced to play some way in some matchups, and even if i had to deal with frustrating BS (+2 armor zealot/archon push : amove terran base and watch), I loved and lived the game. When I had troubles in my personnal life, SC2 gave me some kind of a sense of achievement. It felt like getting better at something.
When HOTS came out, i was dissapointed. Each and every single unit that was introduced felt so frustrating. Oracles killing 15 workers, vipers incapacitating 4 siege tanks, hellbat drops, mine RNG, photon overcharge... I still played a lot, but at some point during the swarm host era i lost interest. Streams were boring to watch. Game felt stale as hell : forced to play bio vs toss and be unable to be agressive early, and forced to play MMMM in TvZ. But i still played at least 2 games a day. A little more when the meta shifted with the swarm host nerf.
Then LOTV gave me hope. But blizz took everything that was good with WOL, and everything that was bad with HOTS, and amped up the bad. So much more frustrating BS in LOTV. So much frustrating BS you can't counter. Shades, biles, disruptors, cyclones, parasitic bombs, tankivacs... Things you're forced to try and avoid but that you can't really shut down.
And to top it all, it's stale. LOTV is played the same way now that it was in the first weeks of release. Even HOTS gave more diversity in the begining. I'm FORCED to play marine tanks or bio liberator every single game depending on the matchup. The only other options are mech in TvT or boring skyterran in TvZ on some maps.
AND, because that wouldn't be enough, the dev team only granted us a single patch in 5 months. ONE SINGLE PATCH.

So i've come to a point where i only play like 3 games a week to disgust me. I watch big competitions from time to time, but i get bored because it's not fun seeing someone deal with frustrating BS when you know how it feels. So much pro gave up on the game because they don't have fun anymore (Sen said that he did not have passion for SC2 anymore in his retirement announcement).

The only reason why SC2 is unique, and why people are staying even if they're in the same situation than me, is because of the lack of competition. The day a decent RTS with a ladder system is out, i don't think i'll play SC2 anymore.
You sound like someone from a support group, trying to convince himself by publicly affirming something. When you have to state your love in an ostentatious manner, it's usually a bad sign. Having invested so much time and energy in Starcraft, I can understand that it's hard to let go. However, if you would rather play something else that is more fun, that's OK too, you don't have to go down with the ship or something. And if you're truly here to stay, all the better (although we won't meet on the ladder, since I'm from the EU server). Just be honest with yourself, it makes life so much easier.
And you sound like someone with nothing to say. You don't have a point whatsoever that's not BS extrapolated from my very simple statement : "WOL>HOTS>LOTV, and it's sad people that love RTS are forced into LOTV because of the lack of competition".
"Be honest with yourself" and stop acting like a psychiatrist on the internet, because in the end you're just gonna embarass yourself.
By the way I come back to WOL after release of LOTV.
+1. Eventually, most of us will leave because it's not like all of us are going to be playing this game until old age. However, I think most of us will be around longer until real life pressures us to give up games all together or we just get tired of SC2 like any other game and move on to another game. That's a natural process though and has little to do with the state of SC2.
05/09/2016 09:17 PMPosted by BabySteps
05/09/2016 07:54 PMPosted by Parrek
I don't really agree with you. There is no RNG. This isn't Hearthstone where a disruptor may or may not hit on the flip of a coin. It's a unit that is good at picking away at opponents and I think that's good because it slows down engagements. It can also create some really hype moments with big hits and being a skillshot it allows for a lot of comeback potential.

It is a random outcome generator. Is the player currently watching 300 things happening? NO? too bad, he lost all his army with 1 shot.

Does not matter if he outmacro his opponent all century long. One missed attention. GG.

Even if it wasn't RNG... it's pretty !@#$ing frustrating to play with, against and just to watch that happen in general. :/
Well written. I got into Starcraft by watching professional Brood War back in 2006, and I've been playing SC2 since the WoL Beta, and while I've definitely had to take some breaks from the game along the way, I do care deeply about it.

I'm happy to see a very positive post too, as I remember the community back in WoL seeming to be a whole heck of a lot more positive then. Even in games it was almost unheard of to BM for quite a long time (unless you were CombatEX, Destiny or IdrA) and ghlf/gg were prevalent in almost all games. Now I'd say I get greetings and GG about half the time, if that. I'm not sure if it's the product of a more immature/younger/inexperienced player base or a player base that's more stressed out and in a bad mood, but I do miss that aspect of the community.
05/10/2016 03:44 AMPosted by Eurypterus
You sound like someone from a support group, trying to convince himself by publicly affirming something. When you have to state your love in an ostentatious manner, it's usually a bad sign. Having invested so much time and energy in Starcraft, I can understand that it's hard to let go. However, if you would rather play something else that is more fun, that's OK too, you don't have to go down with the ship or something. And if you're truly here to stay, all the better (although we won't meet on the ladder, since I'm from the EU server). Just be honest with yourself, it makes life so much easier.

I would lying if I said I wanted to quit. Like I said, if I was ever going to quit, last March would have been it. But Starcraft is too good to stay away from for long in my case, and it's the one game I never get tired of. Besides Chess, of course.
Agreed the ones that are still here might bicker about the game design or balance from time to time, but they seem to be the core group of people interested in this game that will probably play this game until that is no longer an option for them.
did david pay you to make this thread to save his dying game? lawl
I still visit the forums from time to time, but Blizzards decisions on Tankvacs and their war on mech made me loose all interest in playing or watching.

I guess i still have some hope and i give feedback from time to time about the things i want that could bring me back to enjoy this game (bring mech back), but realistically, i don't expect anything to happen, at least not for a long, long time.
05/10/2016 01:52 PMPosted by IntoTheRain
did david pay you to make this thread to save his dying game? lawl

Posts like this always make me laugh.

05/10/2016 02:13 PMPosted by Momochi
I still visit the forums from time to time, but Blizzards decisions on Tankvacs and their war on mech made me loose all interest in playing or watching.

I understand. Like I said, flying siege tanks was one of the points that I felt was pushing me away, regardless of how action packed the pro games are.
My phone's ring tone is the sound and message when the adjutant chimes in with its ring, and states "Incoming transmission. Comlink established" when relaying a message from a distressed General Duke.

My email sound is the sound of a flying phoenix.
My general alert sound is a sentry acknowledgement.
Facebook messages are a stalker shot.
Text messages from my carrier are an archon's attack.
Google text messages are a phoenix attack.
When I had it turned on, Google+ updates were carrier movements.
Calendar reminders are the initialization of warps for a new protoss building.

Oh, and when it was time for an event to start, it was the finalization of a protoss building. These sounds do not change, though I may alternate between one of the various sounds like a different phoenix movement or archon attack.

There's probably more I've forgotten. I really wish I played more SC2 than I do, but other games do captivate me. I still like to watch guys play on twitch and I want to play every race more so than just one race, though I'm a protoss player at heart. I mean how can you beat 1 probe building a base? You can't! It's just that other games captivate me more so than others, and now Overwatch has asserted itself as a huge draw for me even more so than HOTS, though i'll play both along with Hearthstone.

Maybe I'll never get platinum again like I did in 2010, and only by virtue of I was in the beta and had skills that got me placed in P, and maybe I'll never jump into 4v4s and us mic chat, which I'm convinced did help drive us to coordinate better at times into diamond, but this game is definitely a number one game for me.

With the new patch coming up and some of the changes listed, I'm excited. Some changes lookk great like cheaper swarm host and cyclone. Maybe someday I'll shuffle in some SC2 once more. I always believe better comes with time. When everyone was complaining about no chat channels in SC2, I myself sat back, recognized the loneliness too, and believed channels would come, and they came. Some of us always believe because we're above the sorrowful complaints of others.
The only reason any people still play this game, is because there is no viable alternative. Starcraft is the only modern multiplayer RTS game which is regularly monitored, and has an esports scene.

Blizzard has made an unimaginably amount of mistakes in Lotv. Pylon overcharge, forcing Terran into a lib/ghost turtle to counter a single unit, flying tanks, Liberators being terran's only hope and also being strong vs almost everything, lurkers, disruptors. You name it. Very little fun, enjoyable changes have been made to this game.

Even the economy changes, make the game completely boring and stale. Force you to do an endless sequence of grinding, in replace of actual strategy and decision making. "worker harass" being another one of these unfun grinds.

But the sad truth of the matter is, Blizzard can make as many mistakes as conceivably possible, and starcraft will STILL be a cut above any other Multiplayer RTS game, so a number of people will always stay.

I won't lie, I've quit this game many times over the course of LotV. This has never happened to me in HotS, because HotS was a game that was much more fun on a number of levels, and it always kept me entertained. But sadly everytime I've left, I've always come back, because I need my fix. There is no alternative.

I just hope blizzard isn't just abusing this fact with their carelessness, and is actually striving to improve the game, because it honestly doesn't seem like it
My main reason I stick with SC2 is it's such a great engine to work with ideas and designs in general and a very great platform for giving my opinion on what is and is not good game design.

Don't take this the wrong way, there are some great ideas in SC2 and overall it's impressive. It's just far from perfect and there are some really bad things that overshadow all the good things.
05/08/2016 09:54 PMPosted by Doncroft
If you've been here since the beginning, through all the ups and downs, drama and meta shifts, and balance changes galore and you still play 1v1, team games, arcade, or watch the E-sports, I salute you. You're a true fan of Starcraft.

Im the one who joins you guys on your path here and there cause I just wanna know what happens and if the hype I had for this game (Like on first HOTS year) could come back one day.
05/11/2016 12:40 AMPosted by Crackpot
05/08/2016 09:54 PMPosted by Doncroft
If you've been here since the beginning, through all the ups and downs, drama and meta shifts, and balance changes galore and you still play 1v1, team games, arcade, or watch the E-sports, I salute you. You're a true fan of Starcraft.

Im the one who joins you guys on your path here and there cause I just wanna know what happens and if the hype I had for this game (Like on first HOTS year) could come back one day.

Probably not sadly, a lot of the casual players that played it when it was new have moved on to the next new game. Their numbers have thinned out, but the remaining people (the fans) seem to have stabilized somewhat.
05/10/2016 10:43 PMPosted by BossTerraN
The only reason any people still play this game, is because there is no viable alternative. Starcraft is the only modern multiplayer RTS game which is regularly monitored, and has an esports scene.

^Basically, this.

I played SC2 since the WoL beta, when Overseers could drop Infested Terrans. I couldn't get enough of WoL, and when HotS came out, I was beyond excited. It seemed like Blizzard was finding creative ways to address the weaknesses of each race. I could understand why the Protoss needed harassment and mobility. I could see why Zerg needed a siege engine and siege-breaker. Terran always felt 'complete', and never needed anything... but they got stuff anyway.The Reaper change was interesting, and the Warhound seemed like a clever alternative to the Thor: quicker, cheaper, and multifaceted. It could deal with Zerg light-air and Robo/Mech. However, instead of just giving it a bonus to its ground attack vs. Mechanical, Blizzard ruined the thing again and again, until it had to be taken out. To this day, the Widow Mine is perhaps the most idiotic invention of the modern world.

But the straw that broke the camel's back was the Swarm Host. Not the unit itself - the unit was cool. It was clever. It felt 'swarmy'. It was what I paid for when I got the expansion. No, what made me lose my faith here was the change they inflicted on it. They took away its role and gave Zerg something beyond useless with no compensation. Then they waited a year 'for the numbers to come in' and did absolutely nothing to compensate the race in that time. It was entirely unprecedented to REPLACE a unit in a faction's composition, mid-way through an expansion cycle.

No matter how much you think the unit was 'boring' or 'unfair' or 'cancer', it's undeniable that Blizzard's response was heavy-handed and poorly done. Today, the unit continues to languish. Commentators frequently remark along the lines of "Oh, and he accidentally made a Swarm Host..." because the unit is so bad. It wasn't until LotV, when they realized that the unit is constructed in less than 2% of all games, that Bliz reconsidered their position. They now desperately want people to TRY the unit.

Who's to say the Ravager won't tomorrow be 'reworked' into a burrowed healing unit? What's stopping them from making the Reaper a flying siege unit? With the Swarm Host setting the precedent, absolutely nothing! It's tragic, really -they seem to finally done some legitimate balancing with LotV, but at this point I've just been too soured on the whole experience to really care.
I have been a starcraft fanboy for 20 years (I am an old man with a 4 years old daughter lol).
I am also playing Overwatch but it can't replace StarCraft, unless they put Kerrigan and Zeratul into Overwatch lol.

*Edit: Thanks Doncroft for this post!
I see that you don't play SC2 very much, Don. Maybe a small handful every month. SC2 is fun for about one or two games, but is not really fun to grind or play long sessions with.