Let's face it - We're here to stay

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Let's face it - We're here to stay

I have been a massive Starcraft fan since Broodwar, and I never thought the day would come that I would say this, but Starcraft is losing its savor. Blizzard is like a chocolate company who's forgotten that the point of a chocolate company is to make good treats, not to rake in the dough by cutting corners and consequently ruining their chocolate.

I've played over 10k games of WoL and HotS, but I've barely touched LotV:

- I almost didn't buy LotV and I certainly didn't play the beta, but I ended up buying it a few weeks after it came out.

- I've gone from playing 2-3 times a week (10 hours a week on average) to taking entire month long breaks. I haven't played in almost 2 weeks at this point.

- The multiplayer is aweful compared to HotS. Literally everything wrong with HotS was amplified and exacerbated ten-fold in LotV.

- The player-base is shrinking and consequently the ladder, which results in longer queue times and a less diverse set of opponents (which makes the game stale).

- I only played 2 of the campaign missions, because the premise of the story was a cliche load crap (if there was a Protoss army capable of turning the tides of war from a losing position then they never would have been in that position in the first place).

Yeah, if Blizzard wants me to buy their games in the future they need to stop cranking out this sub-par garbage. It needs to be so amazing that I can't help but play it 10 hours a week; instead it's more like "Meh I think I'll browse reddit instead" and with the dwindling ladder numbers it's pretty clear there are a ton of people out there who feel the same way.
05/11/2016 09:53 AMPosted by MCMhalcyon
I see that you don't play SC2 very much, Don. Maybe a small handful every month. SC2 is fun for about one or two games, but is not really fun to grind or play long sessions with.

That's due to two...no, three things:

1. As of March, I really started to hate the meta.

2. I got into the Overwatch beta.

3. I got a full time substitute teaching position.

Normally I'd be playing 5-15 hours a week, and that doesn't include the tournament VODs I watch. I agree with you about hating pure grinding, but when I stream, I don't mind playing for 4-5 hours straight.
05/11/2016 02:31 PMPosted by Doncroft

You know honestly if protoss players just openly admitted that more we wouldn't have so many "diversity" threads
05/11/2016 03:49 PMPosted by Reno
05/11/2016 02:31 PMPosted by Doncroft

You know honestly if protoss players just openly admitted that more we wouldn't have so many "diversity" threads

Considering I am a Protoss player, don't you mean "more"? Because I have no problem whatsoever admitting that.
05/11/2016 03:52 PMPosted by Doncroft
Because I have no problem whatsoever admitting that.

And you are one of the few mind its hard to fish for buffs or nerfs when you open with something along the lines of I know this build is strong but I don't like it can you make some other build stronger so I can do that instead.

05/11/2016 03:49 PMPosted by Reno
You know honestly if protoss players just openly admitted that more

It could also be that I just rolled out of bed so to speak napping on sofa but I thought the above statement was fine.
And you are one of the few mind its hard to fish for buffs or nerfs when you open with something along the lines of I know this build is strong but I don't like it can you make some other build stronger so I can do that instead.

I will say, I am hoping the Colossus does get that attack speed buff if the Immortal barrier gets an HP nerf. I'm sure Immortals will still be quite strong, but being able to use Colossi to poke back at Lurkers or Terran bio protected by liberation zones would make things somewhat less frustrating for me on the ladder. Psi Storms and Disruptors have never seemed like enough on their own to me, especially vs Terran. If you think about it, they gained a new lategame PvT unit, and we lost one. :-(
It will probably be a very minor buff. I don't think he wants to see all that much of the Colossus
been with startcraft since 1997

but yeah, recent changes.. not a fan.
I stopped multiplayer til it stabilizes. (aint my first ladder hiatus though, happened on and off, but this my first hiatus since WOL though.. so I AM being pushed away by these changes that I just cannot agree on.)

rather.. it is the 'way' things are nerfed, the lost of racial identity that I can't stand the most.

things I dont mind ridding stays, such as 'fade' of the Adept.
Yeah I quit SC2 halfway into HotS. I occasionally check in on things periodically to see if things are changing for the better and get me to buy LotV but it hasn't from what I've seen. I want to come back to this game as it used to be one of my favorites but the devs just aren't making it appealing and I have Heroes of the Storm to play and Overwatch to eat up my time instead.
Maybe I should start watching StarCraft more. When I quit it was when most races only had one go-to strategy or build, and Protoss were lacking any star players. It got so stagnant I could hardly even watch Husky.

Man, I miss him.

Anywho, it will take something major to get me playing anything other than the campaign or co-op, like the removal of macro mechanics, or a total Protoss revamp. Right now, the "cool to watch" crap like flying siege tanks and harassment winning games is killing all of my enjoyment of this game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go re-read the Dark Templar trilogy again.
05/12/2016 12:07 PMPosted by Zessei
Maybe I should start watching StarCraft more. When I quit it was when most races only had one go-to strategy or build, and Protoss were lacking any star players. It got so stagnant I could hardly even watch Husky.

The latest two tournaments were both mind-blowingly good. Even if one doesn't play anymore, I still say the E-sports scene is better than ever right now, at least in terms of how high level and intense the matches are.
05/08/2016 09:54 PMPosted by Doncroft
If you've been here since the beginning, through all the ups and downs, drama and meta shifts, and balance changes galore and you still play 1v1, team games, arcade, or watch the E-sports, I salute you. You're a true fan of Starcraft.

Yada yada yada. So what, I'm not a true fan because I don't like this?
08/21/2015 10:27 AMPosted by Dayvie
many of the coolest moments in StarCraft II come from worker harassment.

So be it then. I always wanted to play a strategic game with more depth than this.... oh yeah, like BW.
Went back to WOL. Still a few players there. 40000 times more fun than LOTV.

Before photon overcharge when you could actually attack a protoss before 10 min.
Before widowmine drops killing an entire mineral line in 2 seconds.
Before ravager spamming.
Before tankivacs.
Before oracle murdering your entire mineral line "game over you don't have a turret"
When cloack and DT shrine were INVESTMENTS, not something that had to be blind countered
Before TvT was all about doom drops with the boost
Before muta regen
Etc
05/13/2016 09:20 PMPosted by JackONeill
Before photon overcharge when you could actually attack a protoss before 10 min.
And Protoss was basically dead in WOL because you either die of attrition from Terran medivac aggression where ONE mistake costs you the game, or you get lucky and survive 15 mins of torture to get the ideal Colossus/HT combo to just put the Terran in the ground. OR, PvZ: BL/mass Infestor for days... OR, PvP 4 gate reigning supreme with high ground pylon warp-ins being still possible.

Yeah... Fun for everyone BUT Protoss.

When cloack and DT shrine were INVESTMENTS,
LOL! They still are in LOTV... You cut into army supply HEAVILY by investing in DT tech, and every DT is about 2 less gate units you could have. The DT issue in LOTV is ludicrous because the pervasive ideal of greed as Terran is being punished by DT tech as a metagame shift.

Hilarious.

not something that had to be blind countered
You don't blind counter, but you account for it. Know timings, and have detection as you enter midgame and can afford Turrets for defense, and use your map vision wisely.

Before TvT was all about doom drops with the boost
Clearly you haven't played/watched WOL TvT enough... It was equally doom-drop-heavy with vikings and marine/tank-based compositions. Mech was rare, but they could doom drop as well...

Before muta regen
Probably the ONLY good point so far about WOL.

I apologize for the snarkiness of my response. I just have no patience these days when it comes to WOL vs LOTV comparisons and anti-Protoss sentiment.
hm ... gotta seperate here a bit i think, dunno if i ever play the MP part of SC2 in any form so active like the WoL/HotS time but sure i still continue RTS in general, with DoW3 on the horizon it is basicly a must to play and im actually glad that EA bomb'd CnC4 so hard so they won't reconsider a new Dune RTS anytime soon i imagine, gotta keep an eye out there who is actually holding that IP, i don't know for sure ^^

That said, my first rts was Dune 2 and Syndicate and ever since i'm eager to play that kind of games with more or less success mostly for the campaign part, SC2 opened my eyes to actually play the MP part and admire some of the MP only beauty of the game back in WoL, but in LotV i'm actually abivalent if that beauty still holds up in that matter, with every expansion i fear the workerline is gets more and more vulnerable so in most games there is no mandatory goal to crush enemie's army if you can just trash thier income enough you'll win automaticly which makes me sad since i'm not that harassfocused in general, it's kinda feel dishonoerable by archiving victory only through harass but i still lack in so many things ingame aswell that doesn't matter so much anyway ^^
I will still play SC2 because its still best game but I give up on LOTV its not a game for me anymore. There will be no reasonable changes to it anyway. I have enough promises and lies from weekly "feedbacks". I have enough of addressing every problem with we agree statement and do nothing over and over. I have enough of harassment focus and spell on every units. I have enough of splash on almost every unit. I have enough of 12 worker start to make game more "action". I have enough of PvP ping pong. Actualy I have enough of what this game become.
So I just give up. Its painful to say but this will not change, LOTV stay more or less as it is. So I not bother anymore.

I will still play WOL as long as there will be anyone to play with thou. See you on EU ladder.
I will not give up, but I will not just sit and take it from Blizzard's very misinformed dev team. I will be willing to be that vocal minority of reason amongst a sea of sheeple if necessary, but I am glad I am not going to be standing alone, yet.

LOTV is ripe with promise, but requires a change of view from the dev team, or if necessary, a change in direction in leadership decisions. It is pretty clear now that Blizzard's balance and development teams are out of touch with the core problems with Starcraft2. They keep using flimsy excuses to support their justification to make incorrect decisions that the community suffers through... The most recent one is the one where Dayvie states that Protoss is strong because Zest and Neeb produced top results, which is basically a slap in the face of the Protoss community at large who are suffering from poor design problems, even at pro levels.

Using such minorities as the basis of gauging the race's strength shows just how out of touch they (the dev team) are with reality for the game.
05/14/2016 06:11 AMPosted by KhalDanis
I will not give up, but I will not just sit and take it from Blizzard's very misinformed dev team.

Good luck with this :-D

You mean when Protoss had to hit perfect Force Fields to just not die outright in the first 5 minutes and then rush Colossus to not die in the next 5 minutes while still landing perfect Force Fields?

Apart from that and Cloak/DT one, I pretty much agree with you, especially regarding the muta regen.
Sure i do visit often forums.So i am here on forums to stay :P

The game however is a different story ^_^