StarCraft Universe Open Beta Release

General Discussion
Hi, since this is in arcade, a starter edition player can play this right? or I misunderstanding something?
Yea, you can play it in the Arcade section by typing in the search bar: ''SC Universe''.

Its Amazing, really well done and love from everyone that you brought this on the Arcade:D
07/27/2016 02:55 PMPosted by StimToWin
I am afraid BLizz will oversleep this one again as it happen with Dota 1 and Sotis. You guys will popularize the idea of Cosmos universe and a clever company will take over the idea to create AAA game out of it.
Sweet dreams Blizz.

sry but sotis was a joke
and this game isnt any better either

"ou guys will popularize the idea of Cosmos universe and a clever company will take over the idea to create AAA game out of it"
i think u need to open ur eyes
07/29/2016 02:11 PMPosted by energie
07/27/2016 02:55 PMPosted by StimToWin
I am afraid BLizz will oversleep this one again as it happen with Dota 1 and Sotis. You guys will popularize the idea of Cosmos universe and a clever company will take over the idea to create AAA game out of it.
Sweet dreams Blizz.

sry but sotis was a joke

"ou guys will popularize the idea of Cosmos universe and a clever company will take over the idea to create AAA game out of it"

Me and many of my friends spent countless hours day and night playing SOTIS. For a long time the mod was the most popular game in Arcades. Clearly it wasn't a joke for the community until the game was poorly reworked and subsequently the community migrated to LoL. Sotis was way better than Heroes of the Storm is. All Blizz had to do was to help to develop the mod into a proper release. I believe Sotis had a potential to become more popular than LoL is today. In fact LoL became as popular as it is fnx to Sotis since most of SC2 players went to play LOL through SotiS experience.
As for SC Universe i haven't played the mod but for any company who would like to repeat WoW's success - it's the way to go.
Honestly, this looks spectacular :D
!@#$ I'm on my phone. I really want to check these links out but can't :(
07/29/2016 02:57 PMPosted by StimToWin
07/29/2016 02:11 PMPosted by energie
sry but sotis was a joke

Me and many of my friends spent countless hours day and night playing SOTIS. For a long time the mod was the most popular game in Arcades. Clearly it wasn't a joke for the community until the game was poorly reworked and subsequently the community migrated to LoL. Sotis was way better than Heroes of the Storm is. All Blizz had to do was to help to develop the mod into a proper release. I believe Sotis had a potential to become more popular than LoL is today. In fact LoL became as popular as it is fnx to Sotis since most of SC2 players went to play LOL through SotiS experience.
As for SC Universe i haven't played the mod but for any company who would like to repeat WoW's success - it's the way to go.

Can confirm. As a 4 year lol player I also started on SOTIS. We moved on to hero wars I think it was before we went to lol though. SOTIS just felt kinda clunky, but I agree it could have been a smash hit game if it got on the radar before lol and dota 2 with blizzards help.
I played the mod and all three prologues and it is astonishingly well built. The voice acting, systems and level design are all top-notch and worthy of being in their own game. The cinematic trailer alone is easily equal to or beyond what we've come to expect from blizzard in terms of quality.

However, SC Universe has a few bumps in the road. Chiefly, it was built in the SC2 editor, and that puts certain limits on the whole project. The SC2 editor wasn't built to accommodate a persistent open world, and the missions, including the open beta Beyond Koprulu are all built as progressive missions with defined goals to achieve before ending the mission and returning to the lobby screen.

Additionally, the system is built on forced teaming with up to four other players because even though the mission scale to the number of players in the map, the objectives come at you so thick and fast that you need to be in three places at once. Also, the ship gets attacked the instant it leaves a planet and no player is going to want to fight their way across the cosmos just to pick up some new gear at another planet.

SC Universe was crowdfunded by the idea of a Starcraft MMORPG, but the technical limitations of the SC2 editor make the end result somewhat mixed.

If SC Universe had its own servers with an open world to allow players to solo or team as they saw fit and the ability to travel where they will and play how they want, it would certainly go places and make a fair amount of money for its creators. But until that happens, I think most players will be disappointed with the end result.
This game tries hard but is lacking in many areas.

The entire "login" screen concept is completely out of place. You are not "logging into" anything, just loading your heroes. I can understand that this was from the early concept stages but to avoid confusion "login" should be replaced with "load".

Separate hero names are also emphasized too much, to the point it makes it difficult to track who you are actually playing with. Chat and players nearby should all use your account name, as is the standard in StarCraft II and Diablo III. They can still exist, especially for dialog and such, but they should not be used in actual game play as it makes things unnecessarily confusing (why Diablo III moved to using account names instead of character names while still keeping character names).

The chat system is bad. I cannot chat with people in the character load/creation screen, so I cannot tell if someone is really AFK, taking his time choosing a hero or is even aware we are waiting for them. It also seems to remove all private and community messages, resulting in me missing important communications while I play (such as helping other map developers). I understand it is meant to be immersive, but breaking a major social aspect of BattleNet 2.0 is really a bad idea. Please just use the normal SC2 chat system.

Add a way to repair the ship's hull. Just visiting 2 planets it often gets to less than 70% and that is with no shield failures. When 20 planets "next month" come I can easily see most sessions ending due to hull depletion after visiting 5 planets. I would recommend a mission for the ship's Scouts "Maintain Hull" which slowly replenishes hull points at the cost of the ships time/combat abilities.

The random breakages are more annoying than a feature. After playing a few times the phrase "even in the future, nothing works!" springs to mind. The ship is brand new and just starting to move and suddenly "Severe fire detected!". At the rate the ship breaks itself it sometimes is a wonder it even gets between planets. All such breakage events should only occur when taking hull damage from combat related causes (not fire). It can even be expanded so that breakages occur when any combat occurs inside, so fights cause several which need to be fixed (would make more sense since those explosions from grenades will surely break stuff). Even then it would be nice that eventually some NPCs would see to fixing the problem before the ship arrives at its destination.

Add the ability to control the ship when inside turrets by entering from the bridge turret command panel. I constantly find myself having to exit turrets just to move a fraction, select the control panel, hit evasive maneuver, then click the turret control console again and resume where I left off. This is especially useful as some capital ships, eg tempest, fire powerful blasts at the ship which one would want to time evasive maneuver so as to avoid excessive shield/hull damage.

Remove the security camera console. As cool as it is, it kind of is a pointless feature. You can just use the minimap to immediately see where you need to go, instead of searching through camera feeds to find a problem. Another solution which could keep the console would be too add a new type of event "stealthed agent" where an enemy agent like Ghost, Dark Templar or one of those morphy zerg spy units (name escapes me), lands quietly on the ship and has to be found before it causes harm. For such an event a warning could sound notifying of a hidden agent but the players would have to find it visually by using the security cameras (easier to spot, once spotted remains more visible) or personally (inefficient, hard).

Allow the Void Seeker to shoot off hull breach intruders of the top of the ship. Would give it some use and allow players to stop those annoying hull breach events.

Alter atmospheric damage based on approach speed. If a slow approach is choosen then no damage should occur. If one enters the planet at Warp 5 then the ship will pretty much be destroyed. Auto pilot should select approach speed based on shield condition, opting for Warp 1 odd if shields are at 100%, and a very slow speed if shields have failed.

Add more logic behind the hazards encountered. All hazard risks should appear on the star chart when selecting missions, in the form of artwork symbolizing them. When and what hazards occur is based on what hazards the ship flight path approaches. For example if you fly near a meteor then there might be a meteor storm. When flying near terran pirates you will be attack by them. Unlike the planets, the hazards constantly move, and invaders like pirates, zerg and protoss might purposely divert to intercept you during a flight. Each hazard has finite elements to it before it is exhausted, for example there will only be so many pirate waves when near pirates before the pirate fleet is destroyed. This will not only make the hazards less random and more meaningful, but it would also stop hazard farming a mechanic abuse I noticed where people purposely slow the ship down to a crawl (avoiding warp speeds) just to farm the infinite series of hazards.

Itemization in this game is very confusing. I have no idea how to get some gear variants, something that should probably be mentioned in the item encyclopaedia. Apparently I can craft gear with all the huge quantities of materials I am accumulating but that is also quite unclear.

Combat can be quite clunky at times. Especially due to network latency one can interrupt channelled casts by accidental movement. Area target abilities also some times fail to proc targeting when clicked. Piloted machines seem to default to passive mode, forcing one to toggle on attack or use an offensive ability to get them to fight. When trying to cast a spell at units or the ground outside of the spell range then the player character should try to move into range to cast, something very important to get accurate hits with skills like Psionic Storm where targeting is inherently clunky due to latency.
Thanks for the feedback guys, will try to consider this for the final release.
@UpheavalArts
I just started playing SC:U Prologue 1 and I made a dark Templar class and found the observer then I had to go. And now it's saying I can't play that character in prologue one anymore. So I made a ghost character and got to rank 6 or 7 where I left the planet then had to log off will I not be able to play my ghost character either in prologue one? Do you have to beat first prologue in one setting?
after leaving the planet in the prolog 1 is finished anyway so you can go for prolog 2 and 3 with both chars you previosly created, if you think you'll need the resources given at the end of ep1 you can delete that DT and make a new one though ...

and yeah i highly reconmend that you play ep3 since there you have a basic tut of handling the ship and stuff so make sure your complete that atleast once
I can't find the download link for SCU,
I am looking all over the Battle.net website and can't even find this arcade everyone is talking about, can some provide a direct URL for this?
looks coo
Really fun but how do i turn off auto run?
Why is it only avaliable on american servers and not SEA? Is there any chance it could be opened up to SEA servers?
Oh my god i can't believe it's going to be an actual "thing" now! so excited cannot wait!
12/17/2016 12:38 AMPosted by ShadowRunner
Oh my god i can't believe it's going to be an actual "thing" now! so excited cannot wait!
no - bad. do not necro a thread....
Wow, just played it. What a phenomenal start. Y'all should be very proud of how much you did with so little (in terms of resources and tools) to work with. I hope this leapfrogs into Blizzard picking y'all up and forming it in to a full fledged MMORP like WOW. Great job guys.
looks cool, how do you open beta for this? is this an mmo or just an action shooter kind of thing similar to rogue spear?