Thinking about playing again...

Protoss Discussion
So I'm debating whether or not to invest in legacy of the void and start playing again. I used to play a lot in WoL, got to masters briefly in season 3 (i think it was 3) but was knocked down almost immediately by the stupidity of the 1-1-1 at the time. This got frustrating so I stopped playing.

When HotS came out and decided to give it another shot, played for a bit and quickly realized how stupid the swarm host was and stopped playing again.

Now Legacy has been out for a little while; I haven't been paying attention to the pro scene at all since I'm working full time now while still in school. What is the current state of this game? Is it more balanced, less balanced? More importantly is it fun, or is it still an endless grind against mindless strategies like 1-1-1 and mass swarm hosts?

I'm so tempted to buy because i love RTS games... but I do not want to give David Kim and company $40 more if he's still doing a !@#$ job and not fixing things for literally months or even a year...

Edit: Also how is the map design? I remember there were some absolutely garbage maps when I stopped playing in HotS and that was part of the reason as well.
PvT is mass bio with Liberators
PvZ is Hydra/Roach/Lurker

No clue how the Mets will shift with the new changes coming soon.

I rarely run in to gimiky strats.
09/20/2016 05:58 PMPosted by noobtastic
PvT is mass bio with Liberators
PvZ is Hydra/Roach/Lurker

No clue how the Mets will shift with the new changes coming soon.
What's the general strategy as protoss in those matchups?
PvZ:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/499898-probes-chargelot-immortal-macro-pvz

PvT:
Off a FE throw down two more gates, Robo, and a TC (Research Blink and Glaives) constant Adept/Stalker warpins.
Deflect Harass
Expand, 5 more gates and Templar Archives warp in 5 HTs.
If they stay on bio get Colossus. If they go Liberator heavy go Tempests.
Protoss is still extremely gimmicky.
They're also nerfing it into the ground with the upcoming changes(especially with that tank damage and MOTHERF*CKING BURROW-CAST INFESTORS), so... yeah.
09/20/2016 08:45 PMPosted by Wobulating
Protoss is still extremely gimmicky.

I haven't played in two months.
This news doesn't surprise me, but it continues to disheartens me from playing again any time soon.

#ProtossOnBreak
Every race has its gimiky aspects.
09/21/2016 09:15 PMPosted by noobtastic
Every race has its gimiky aspects.

Nowhere near as bad as Protoss because we simply don't have the baseline damage to compete with other armies. We get by with abilities and splash, but those are never consistent.

09/21/2016 08:10 PMPosted by Ulrezaj
This news doesn't surprise me, but it continues to disheartens me from playing again any time soon.

Yeah. I'm prolly gonna quit once the new changes come out because they seem to be buffing everyone else immensely without any real changes to us.
You could do team games....less pressure and less build order oriented.
09/22/2016 03:11 PMPosted by Vertigo
You could do team games....less pressure and less build order oriented.

But also not actually balanced at all.
well this thread was discouraging to read... probably won't be buying since I imagine someone would have chimed in with a counter if it wasn't really still !@#$. I'll never understand what this balance "team" (David Kim) thinks they're doing.
Everyone says Protoss is "Gimiky." It's the new anti-Protoss catch phrase.

Oh my god o hate Adepts! They can shade past my defenses, on top of my bio and it's just harasscraft. Kinda the point of the Adept.

Oh my god Oracles delete whole mineral lines! Kinda why they added them for more harrasment for Protoss

Kinda how this forum is but if you don't want to play the decisions up to you.

The only race that doesn't feel like they have to harass to get ahead is Zerg. Drone Drone Drone till you economy's booming and a-move.
09/27/2016 04:18 PMPosted by Nix
well this thread was discouraging to read... probably won't be buying since I imagine someone would have chimed in with a counter if it wasn't really still !@#$. I'll never understand what this balance "team" (David Kim) thinks they're doing.

I will give the other side, if you love RTS's you should totally buy it. The "I dont want to give $40 to blizzard if it's bad." I mean any game today is usually $60+ so I think its actually very good price, and $40 is nothing to blizzard, not like they care. I think it is fun. Mass swarmhost you are talking about does not exist anymore, they changed how swarmhosts work. The maps are pretty good, there are some HoTS map like king sejong and frost. 1-1-1 also is dead, pylons can shoot now! : P

Overall I think its based on your mindset, if you go in thinking it will suck, it will. If you go in ignoriing balance and trying to relearn the game, it will be fun. Remember you will be rusty so I wouldn't expect to be diamond the second you start again (maybe you will? haha) It will be a new game for you so try to keep balancne out of it.