New to protoss

Protoss Discussion
Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry for my english, I'm not a native english speaker so if you feel irritated because of the way I write, It's completely normal.. ^^

I started to play and discovered starcraft only last month and decided to go for Zerg straight away. Why ? I don't even even remember.

I reached gold recently but suddenly lost my interest for Zerg. I have tried to play with protoss lately and it was like a revelation, I like the units designs, I like the voice in the background, the music.. in fact, I like everything. I'm wondering now why I didn't try them at the start but anyway..

I beat a gold player a bit earlier today with Protoss against a Terran but honestly I didn't know what I was doing, I was just defending my main and natural while massing air units and went for a all in and it actually worked but it's not what I'm looking for, for now.

I would like to know everything about Protoss the same way I did for Zerg. I want to know everything about their units, their role, their strenghts, weaknesses, abilities, as well as different types of strategies, tricks, build orders.. Well, pretty much everything

I know it seems like a lot what I'm asking but I'm not asking that one of you spend 2 hours writting a book to explain me everything but maybe you could give me some links where I will be able to find the answers to my interrogations.

I have been searching on the net but I don't really know where to start and it's not really clear what I have found so far.

I have heard that Protoss is probably the hardest to play for a beginner and in general but i'm ready to work hard and put a lot of effort into it.

Thank you for reading,

cheers
A good place to read up:
https://m.reddit.com/r/allthingsprotoss/

Understanding PvP:
https://m.reddit.com/r/allthingsprotoss/comments/56q7gt/build_of_the_week_pvp_neebs_safe_2gate_expand/?ref=search_posts

Understanding PvZ:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/499898-probes-chargelot-immortal-macro-pvz

I don't have a real good PvT guide and I just play standard 19 Nexus into three gate robo twilight (Research blink and Glaives). Deflect harassment and take third, drop 5 more gates and a template archives.

If I was you I'd master a very flexible macro build per match up so you know the ins and outs of it.

I'd also recommend doing like 5-10 games of every cheese to better understand how to counter/employ them.

Protoss is hard because you can't survive off gateway units like the other races can. You need AOE and balancing the tech and unit production is a hard line to walk for players.
10/27/2016 03:50 AMPosted by noobtastic
A good place to read up:
https://m.reddit.com/r/allthingsprotoss/

Understanding PvP:
https://m.reddit.com/r/allthingsprotoss/comments/56q7gt/build_of_the_week_pvp_neebs_safe_2gate_expand/?ref=search_posts

Understanding PvZ:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/499898-probes-chargelot-immortal-macro-pvz

I don't have a real good PvT guide and I just play standard 19 Nexus into three gate robo twilight (Research blink and Glaives). Deflect harassment and take third, drop 5 more gates and a template archives.

If I was you I'd master a very flexible macro build per match up so you know the ins and outs of it.

I'd also recommend doing like 5-10 games of every cheese to better understand how to counter/employ them.

Protoss is hard because you can't survive off gateway units like the other races can. You need AOE and balancing the tech and unit production is a hard line to walk for players.

Thank you very much for that , that's exactly what I was looking for.
10/27/2016 01:38 AMPosted by MysticRiver
I want to know everything about their units, their role, their strenghts, weaknesses, abilities

AN OVERVIEW
Gateway units(not Templar, those are separate, even though they're produced the same way) are bad at killing things. Zealots are great meatshields, adepts are great at worker harass, stalkers are just kinda meh in general(though if you can blink micro well, they become much better). Protoss power comes from higher-tech units- the immortal, the archon, the high templar, the disruptor, and the tempest. Everything else is just screening.

If you're familiar with naval tactics, the gateway units are the screening force- they apply a bit of pressure and can deal a bit of damage, but they're there as additional targets and to fill holes in those high-tech units(stalkers, in the case of colossi, because colossi can't shoot up and are vulnerable to anti-air).

Unless you're going for some all-in, you're going to need these power units. You can choose to not use them, of course, but you aren't going to trade well. Against Terran, you need splash. All three options(HT, disruptors, and colossi) work. They have advantages and disadvantages(HT are slow, vulnerable to EMP/aggressive stims, and getting sniped, disruptors can be dodged fairly easily, and colossi deal less damage, though it's much more consistent).

Against zerg, it depends heavily on what they're doing. If they're going roach-heavy, immortals are your friend. They mulch anything armored and roaches are no exception.

If they're going hydras, you can either go HT or colossi- disruptors can work, but I don't like them. It's not really anything objective, so you could try it.

If they're going ling-bane, you essentially have two options- you can go archon-chargelot and basically sacrifice a bunch of chargelots every engagement to the banes, or you can go adept-sentry and forcefield the banes off.

Against Protoss, unless you like disruptor ping-pong, I advise that you just all-in. I know, it's not really what you're looking for, but I loathe PvP, so that's basically all I do.

Against stalkers, immortals are great. Stalkers trade horrifically against them, even with blink.
If they go stargate, your only option is to go more stargate and mass more phoenixes than them. It's incredibly stupid.

The MSC is... kind of an odd unit. You can get it fairly early, but it'll delay your tech. I, personally like to get it after my robo, but if I see an all-in coming, I'll rush it as soon as my cyber finishes.

Adepts are good units, but they aren't the end-all, be-all. They won't trade well against most armies, especially not as numbers increase and their terrible range comes more into play.

I'm not going to really go into builds- noobtastic got that covered fairly well. Feel free to ask me, if you want, and I'll give you my more common ones, but it's not that hard to figure out.
UNIT SYNERGIES
Disruptor-Stalker. Disruptors kill things, stalkers have the range to not die to your own shots.
Disruptor-colossus. Colossi kill everything, stalkers clear the air and provide meatshield.
Adept-sentry. Sentries are great at forcing odd engagements, which is where adepts excel.
Stalker-sentry. Cut armies in half, use the stalker's range to kill each half on its own.
Phoenix-chargelot-immortal-archon. Chargelots provide the meatshield, archons kill non-armored units, and immortals kill armored units. Phoenixes harass, scout, and lift key units, like disruptors, lurkers, and tanks.
Chargelot-HT. HTs cost a ton of gas, chargelots cost none. Plus, they're great meatshields while storm kills everything.
UNDERSTANDING THE MATCHUPS

PvP
PvP is very rock-paper-scissory. Basically, stargate trumps robo, which trumps twilight, which trumps stargate.

Stargate units don't have reliable detection, meaning an auto-loss against DT openers, phoenixes don't trade that well with stalkers(they actually trade surprisingly well, but are produced much, much slower), and later on, HTs trump both phoenixes and oracles- the two units that are actually good from the stargate.

Robo trumps twilight because, while twilight units are nice, they still aren't much better at killing stuff than standard gateway units without twilight upgrades. Robo units, on the other hand, are. Immortals shred armored units, Warp Prisms give you a bunch of mobility, Observers basically murder any DT openers and are great at scouting, Disruptors are amazing against adepts(and to a lesser extent, chargelots), and colossi are just generally pretty good units.

Stargate trumps robo because... well, robo units don't shoot up. Not much more to it than that. Plus, when phoenixes lift immortals, they kill them surprisingly fast because they don't trigger Barrier.

People tend to go robo/twilight, because they synergize best. Stalkers are mobile and can avoid disruptor shots with blink, and disruptors kill everything.

Plus, of course, robo has reliable detection and scouting. This is really, really nice.
Stargate units don't synergize that well because they aren't that useful in a straight-up fight. Phoenixes can lift units, but they won't kill them particularly quickly. Oracles are just useless, Void Rays are shut down way too easily by... pretty much anything, and Tempests don't do enough damage to be a midgame option.
I'll post the rest in a few hours.

Also, I am, in fact, spending several hours writing a book on this.
IMO on splash depending on your micro you should go Colossys until high Mid Gold. Transition to HTs from their and lastly Disruptors. Although if you get good now with Disruptors you will win a lot of games because your opponents simply won't have the micro to split.
10/28/2016 02:55 AMPosted by noobtastic
IMO on splash depending on your micro you should go Colossys until high Mid Gold. Transition to HTs from their and lastly Disruptors. Although if you get good now with Disruptors you will win a lot of games because your opponents simply won't have the micro to split.

None of them are particularly micro-intensive. They just have different strengths/weaknesses.
The Disruptor is far more micro intensive then the other two

1. Colossus is strictly A-move (guarented damage)

2. HT you have to manually cast PSI storm, can save up energy to cast two storms and can merge to create Archons.

3. Disruptors every 21 seconds you can manually cast a purification nova.
10/28/2016 09:55 AMPosted by noobtastic
1. Colossus is strictly A-move (guarented damage)

But you still need to target-fire to get the most out of it.
PvT
Playing against bio
Bio armies, simply put, will stomp any gateway army. Get splash- HTs are really nice because you can put them in your bases to deny drops. Colossi and Disruptors are still perfectly viable, though. I, personally, prefer colossi, but it doesn't matter too much.

Two units that you'll likely have a lot of trouble with are widow mines and liberators- both of which are great against chargelots and adepts. Stalkers, disruptors, and colossi are your friends against them.

Against WMs, you can choose to go chargelot or adept-heavy and just eat the shots- it's perfectly doable. I, personally, don't like doing that, so I go stalkers, but it's your call.
Against libs, you cannot engage under a fully-sieged location(fully sieged being 4 libs). You'll die. Horribly. Tempests are great against libs, but libs'll come out long before them, so you'll have to make do with blink stalkers for a bit. Make sure to keep numbers low and, if they're producing lots of libs, constantly poke and try and force stims because they won't have many medivacs.

Blink stalkers perform okay, but as lib numbers increase, their viability decreases.

To defend against drops, use observers and Xel'Naga towers to spot them. You can use your MSC to defend 2 bases, generally, assuming good pylon placement(put 2 behind each mineral line). Warp in stalkers everywhere else and(if you use HTs) feedback as many medivacs as possible, focusing on the high-energy ones.

Dealing with Mech
Mech isn't nearly as common, but basically, void rays and tempests are your friends. Build immortals, too, but air is probably your best bet- mech's terrible at it.

Basic scouting
If your initial scout sees double gas, it's an all-in most of the time. Get your MSC, get as many stalkers as possible, and get a robo.

It could be cyclones, in which case you'll need either phoenixes or blink stalkers- I prefer the stalkers, but it's your call.

Dealing with WM drops
These are possibly the most annoying tool Terran has. If, immediately after the barracks finishes, a factory gets laid down, it's almost certainly a WM drop.Get a robo + obs immediately and put your MSC + 3 pylons(make a triangle around your mineral line) in one base and as many stalkers as you can and an observer in the other.
PvZ
Depends a lot on what they're doing. If they're going ling/bane, I, personally, prefer adept/sentry, but you need to be very, very wary of both muta and ultra switches, because adept/sentry is terrible lategame.
You can go Phoenix-immortal-archon-chargelot, but you're going to lose lots of chargelots to banelings. It's not the end of the world by any means, but it's something to be aware of.
If they're going roach/hydra, you can go PICA, stalker/disruptor, or stalker/colossus. I, personally prefer stalker/colossus- it performs better against lings and it's a bit better against brood lord transitions. Either way, ultras shouldn't be a real issue- stalkers and immortals both perform pretty well against them.

One thing you're going to have to look out for is muta switches- check the gas count, basically. Build phoenixes preemptively(if you start 2 stargates at the same time as the spire, you'll have 4 phoenixes complete at the same time as however many mutas they have pop out). Failing that, blink stalkers work okay against them, but you'll never actually kill the mutas- just chase them away.

Also, if they're going mass hydra, HTs and colossi are your friends. HTs are probably a little bit better, but colossi are perfectly fine, too.

Something you should be wary of is baneling busts. Scout the gas count and(hopefully) the baneling nest, though failing that, check the natural drone count. If it's too low, it's probably an all-in. If they're just mining gas, it's almost certainly banelings. Forcefields are a must. Block them off, kill the lings, and then kill the banelings. Allowing them to connect with your units/wall is pretty much a GG.