Am I too old?

Zerg Discussion
I'm diamond and older than you. Age is not an excuse. You get faster by not having to stop and think about what to do. Game knowledge will improve your speed.
P player here and just starting to play some zerg again today and some yesterday (use to play Z in Hots) and its really easy so far (and fun!), atleast against v. hard ai that isn't T but I played bad that match... but uh, I will say f2 (f1 for me) is really nice (not very nice with Protoss), the fast inject trick is nice (remap spacebar to cycle bases), and like against P, dont underestimate the Zerglings cause P units mainly are slower attacking so lings can kind of act as a sponge while your hydras or roaches whatever do the real damage. I would say taking good engages is a bit harder and different than P, probably a good idea to put the lings on a seperate hotkey and have them attack like a second or two after and like yea, you really have to position your units (f2 + move) to prepare the attack a little more...then a move in. Target down sentrys or try to force out the guardian shields a bit, same with photon overcharges. See an attack coming pump out your zerglings and whatever you can and try to do your injects again. Even a little bit of creep spread felt so nice, it felt like I had some cannons (protoss) like buying me time for me to respond.

I've kind of missed getting on like 5 bases and "swarming" the opponent, I've missed harassing with Mutas as well, def. the funnest unit in the game imo (psi storms are most satisfying though).
Also baneling drops against P. My friend does those a good amount on me and its so hard to defend against sometime and as P losing just like 7+ probes it feels like your economy just crumbles for awhile and you cant really do anything cause the units cost a lot ya know, and we can't like pick up our bases and crap either. Try for another drop while poking or do double drops if you can. If you pull probes incorrectly they all clump up too which is horrible against banes.
I'll be 34 in 3 weeks and I'm diamond 2 at about 4.1k mmr and about 250 apm.
I remember a 40 or 50 year old gold league guy in a clan war who did a 1 base allin which no one could beat. There were like 20 people even master players who tried to coach their gold/platinum players but none had what it took. (So he managed the Allkill for his clan)
I keymapped cntrl groups 6-10 to mouse buttons and then a few days working on it. Then I spent an hour watching a GM zerg destroy people with 3-4 control groups, and he was using camera locations to manage creep spread, because he grouped all of his hatcheries together. I had no idea you were supposed to put the hatcheries together.

Fml.

How do you actually make banelings good? Is there a way to path them in a certain pattern so you can move zerglings seperately and like.... Corral your oppnents units in like a pincer movement. Is it like shift clicking? Like a movement path, have banelings go up and then down and then after they start going micro zerglings from below to push the death ball upwards. Or something. Anything but losing everything. And dying. Every single time. /cry.
10/10/2017 06:22 PMPosted by Piisfine
I keymapped cntrl groups 6-10 to mouse buttons and then a few days working on it. Then I spent an hour watching a GM zerg destroy people with 3-4 control groups, and he was using camera locations to manage creep spread, because he grouped all of his hatcheries together. I had no idea you were supposed to put the hatcheries together.

Fml.

How do you actually make banelings good? Is there a way to path them in a certain pattern so you can move zerglings seperately and like.... Corral your oppnents units in like a pincer movement. Is it like shift clicking? Like a movement path, have banelings go up and then down and then after they start going micro zerglings from below to push the death ball upwards. Or something. Anything but losing everything. And dying. Every single time. /cry.

Please create another topic if you need help - this thread is rather about age and such - not about how to micro.

Have a look at these videos of mine - they are not fancy but I think they will answer most of your questions:
1) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181417222
2) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181417746
3) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181419172

As a short answer:
Have lings and banelings on seperate hotkey groups, attack/pull back with lings and (only!) move-command your banelings. If you attack-move your banelings or only use one control group or even select all army hotkey for ling/bane, you will never really trade well.
Answer to that question is always no.
10/11/2017 07:24 PMPosted by LigerMaNN
What if you're 100 in still playing? At that point, you'd have like 5 APM tops.
10/12/2017 08:32 AMPosted by soUuRrRStEvO
10/11/2017 07:24 PMPosted by LigerMaNN
What if you're 100 in still playing? At that point, you'd have like 5 APM tops.

Anyone who lives that long and wants to play should feel free too. It'd be a new definition for Bronze League Hero.
10/12/2017 11:40 AMPosted by Juxtapose
Anyone who lives that long and wants to play should feel free too. It'd be a new definition for Bronze League Hero.
That would be weird, but I can't stop them.
You are not too old by a long shot.
I started playing StarCraft in January 1999.
I started drawing SS, the next month, at 62.
I don't ladder, in fact I didn't even know there was a ladder till I got into SC2 Beta.
I played 1v1s 1v2s 1v3s and FFAs against the AI.
Also a lot of third party custom campaigns.
I just don't have the APM to play well against you youngsters, and I don't like to lose all the time.
I won't stay relegated to Bronze League forever.
I play vs AI a lot, custom games vs the Elite AI and of course all the campaigns, waiting for the AI to improve.
The AI is still as dumb as a rock.
Granted it has improved but it is still only a smart rock.
Some people here may know me from my fist account, ClifftheBiff.
I am the oldest known living Zerg player at 75 years young and still going strong.
But age is just a number, it's what you do that counts.
Remember it's just a game, not life and death.
We play to have fun and when the fun stops we should stop.
If you are not comfortable at the faster speed setting of the ladder then stop laddering.
One last point, a lot of ladder players may look down at you because you don't "Ladder".
But it takes a lot of skill to play the campaigns when you set high standards.
Try not losing a single unit in a mission or completing the mission in the fastest possible time.
Single player campaigns are a whole different animal than the ladder and it takes just as much skill to play.

PS; My APM is in the 70s and I can spam it up to 120.
If you are enjoying yourself, enjoying the process of getting better, and see it as a rewarding hobby then NO, you aren't too old!
04/02/2017 11:47 AMPosted by SplinteRceL
I was in grade school when Starcraft was released. Don't worry about it you are still very young.
Wow... and you are dissing on me for being in grade school, especially when I am not?