"No, I disagree!"

General Discussion
I'm afraid you misunderstand, to the detriment of a lot of my fellow forum-goers who merely wish to have their voices heard.

01/10/2017 09:46 AMPosted by Dayvie
We wanted to remind people once more that just complaining without solutions isn't helpful

Quote by developer Dayvie, from https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20752640052?

Dayvie, I completely agree with you. However, from having commented (more than once) on the community feedback report of January 6 I have noticed that despite giving suggestions with motivations that my posts were simply "disliked" or downvoted by people who didn't agree with them.

It seems that a few people don't understand what the "like/dislike" feature is for, namely judging the quality of the post and not your opinion on the contents thereof. To elaborate (for the sake of those few people), the "like" feature is - as most of us know - meant for posts of high quality and its "dislike" counterpart for so-called trolls and people who generally have nothing constructive to add to a topic. It was, however, not intended to be used as a system to say whether you agree or disagree with someone else's opinion.

These perpetrators, though in the minority, who misuse/misunderstand the system have made myself (and certainly others as well) quite negative about posting on the forums. This is because when these people have their way our posts will eventually, unfairly, be blanked out along with those of the so-called trolls and such. The end result is that our opinions will be disregarded, if even noticed, by others who visit the forums and maybe even (we would not know) by those who monitor them.

Perhaps, a redesign of the system is necessary or, otherwise, more people should be made aware of the intended purpose of the system.
Yeah, this is a good point.
I'll say; if you disagree with someone's thoughts/ideas, just write up WHY you disagree so that it can be discussed.
What's the point of being on forum if not to discuss, anyway?
Yes and no. I do agree that discussion should be had and that bad quality/trolling posts deserve downvotes, but I also see the system as a tool for seeing what the community consensus is about certain things posted about. I typically don't personally use it that way, but I can see how that could be a use for it.
01/13/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Caligo
These perpetrators, though in the minority, who misuse/misunderstand the system

Maybe you misunderstand the system. Who did ever say it's for the purpose you think it is? It is a "like"-button. Not a "good quality", not a "good argumentation", not an "agree" button. You can't tell people in which case they should use this button, because they have the freedom to decide themselves.

Another thing: if someone trolls and it's as obvious as it is funny, then per your definition people aren't allowed to upvote?
this forum is a cesspool of retardedness. I certainly hope dk doesnt take his ideas from the garbage that is posted on this forum.

on the other hand, sometimes I wonder if he ever thinks about what he puts into the game before doing it.

some of his most recent balance tweaks look like the stuff you would find in a dank templur theorycrafting thread.
The point of the like/dislike system is so people can have input without having to take time writing why they like/dislike something.
No.
Sue me.
01/13/2017 05:00 PMPosted by AchromicWht
Yeah, this is a good point.
I'll say; if you disagree with someone's thoughts/ideas, just write up WHY you disagree so that it can be discussed.
What's the point of being on forum if not to discuss, anyway?

That is exactly the point I'm trying to get across.

01/13/2017 05:11 PMPosted by NinjaDuckBob
Yes and no. I do agree that discussion should be had and that bad quality/trolling posts deserve downvotes, but I also see the system as a tool for seeing what the community consensus is about certain things posted about.

01/13/2017 05:41 PMPosted by iLLuSia
Who did ever say it's for the purpose you think it is? It is a "like"-button. Not a "good quality", not a "good argumentation", not an "agree" button.

I cannot dismiss the merit in the possibility that the system could be used to find some sort of consensus in the community. However, if this was indeed the purpose then why are posts with many downvotes greyed out? This would then imply that minority opinions are considered invalid. On top of that they could've then instead labelled the buttons as "agree" and "disagree" in stead.

Also, the forum doesn't reach a large enough audience to be used as such a platform to find such a community consensus, since not all players (professional or amateur) frequent these forums. On the other hand though - even a small audience is capable of judging the quality of the posts made in these threads.

01/13/2017 08:52 PMPosted by TankMyster
The point of the like/dislike system is so people can have input without having to take time writing why they like/dislike something.

Considering that this is a forum where things, by definition, are to be discussed what would this then achieve exactly?

01/13/2017 08:46 PMPosted by Emoluments
WRONG.

01/13/2017 09:11 PMPosted by ihateSCII
No.
Sue me.

These are exactly the people I was referring to - the ones who don't have anything constructive to add to a conversation. If everyone downvoted such comments they would eventually be greyed out and we could spend more time on those who actually wish to make an intellectual contribution. Wouldn't that have been nice?