Zerg Ships

Zerg Discussion
So how do the zerg travel to other planets? Do they have like a zerg ship? A thought is they could just get vision and then use nydus worms. But really how do they travel to different planets?
Leviathans. The big whale looking thing that shoots the !@#$% looking pods of zerg units in the hots openning cinematic. Not sure how they load up though unless they use ventral sacks in ovies.
02/24/2017 06:23 AMPosted by NoNoUDo
Leviathans. The big whale looking thing that shoots the !@#$% looking pods of zerg units in the hots openning cinematic. Not sure how they load up though unless they use ventral sacks in ovies.

I think those pods are dying overlords.

Btw,Nydus == Wormhole?Or you can see nydus penetrating all planets from your home plant?
No, nydus does not connect on an interplanetary level. Zerg needs the worms to create a network on every new planet. I'm guessing Leviathans either carry them or produce them somehow biologically.
Old BW art shows Zerg units just flying through space:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/5/51/Zerg_SC1_Art1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080607201949

Looks like guardians, overlords and mutalisks. I always assumed the ground units rode in the overlords.
02/28/2017 11:23 AMPosted by cowboy
true... I've seen this before also. My only problem with this is wings of mutilisks or sacs of overlords would not produce lift or thrust in the vacuum of space. So I wonder what blizzards explanation is, then.

Maybe mutas corrupted and overlord can travel short distances and leviathans are more for long distance. Or maybe the scale of the invasion in the HOTS cinematic was too large for just overlord tranports.
02/26/2017 12:58 AMPosted by HellGoesON
02/24/2017 06:23 AMPosted by NoNoUDo

I think those pods are dying overlords.

Btw,Nydus == Wormhole?Or you can see nydus penetrating all planets from your home plant?

The pods are just pods

But I do think Zerg need to be able to use leviathans in gameplay

Also nydus can only go around a planet
Nydus are like a subway for Zerg
03/01/2017 07:25 AMPosted by NoNoUDo
My only problem with this is wings of mutilisks or sacs of overlords would not produce lift or thrust in the vacuum of space.

Well, if an Overlord stored air, it's sacs could produce thrust in a vacuum, until it ran out of air.
But of course, even if it pressurised air into a liquid, that still wouldn't get it very far. Not to mention the fact that the air in high orbit would get too thin for the Overlord to use, so it'd probably use up all it's air just trying to get out of orbit.
But if the Overlord got into orbit with air still stored, it could indeed provide thrust.

You're completely right about the Mutalisks, though. Ain't no way those bats could fly in space.
I think the original SC manual referred to something like this:

"Mutalisks use their wings only for atmospheric flight, as the Overmind mutated the original Mantis Screamer to be capable of interplanetary travel. The now evolved Mutalisk, uses it's symbiont Glave Wurm to produce gasses that can be used as a propellant to travel between worlds.

The Mantis Screamer itsself did not need oxygen to survive, so this aided in it's development to travel far distances in space..."

I DO think i really altered the original text (its been 15y since i had that booklet), but i do actually remember something like this :)
Thanks for the replies.
Have you seen the movie 'Slither'? I imagine it's sort of like that.
03/01/2017 07:25 AMPosted by NoNoUDo
02/28/2017 11:23 AMPosted by cowboy
true... I've seen this before also. My only problem with this is wings of mutilisks or sacs of overlords would not produce lift or thrust in the vacuum of space. So I wonder what blizzards explanation is, then.

Maybe mutas corrupted and overlord can travel short distances and leviathans are more for long distance. Or maybe the scale of the invasion in the HOTS cinematic was too large for just overlord tranports.

Psionic ability??? :L
Leviathans. They're like the size of the Spear of Adun, each. They're massive, and Mutalisks are actually really small in comparison to like Wraiths, I believe.
Flight is always kind of wonky in these space-opera type of fantasies. I mean you've got some ships that have rocket-thrusters, and some that don't, but rarely any explanation as to how the ships without rocket-thrusters are flying. Just compare the X-Wings and Tie-Fighters in Star Wars. One has rockets, the other doesn't. How is the Tie-Fighter flying? And if tech is at a level where contemporary rockets/jet-engines are unneeded, why does the X-Wing have them? It doesn't make sense, but it looks cool. Space opera stuff operates purely on rule of cool. Starcraft, to the degree that it's not purely a game, is space-opera, not hard-science-fiction. Mutalisks and Overlords can fly in space because it looks cool.
Huh? You guys are acting as if you never played the hots campaign.
Overlords are capable of deep space travel because the creatures they're based off of were capable.

Leviathans are the zerg ships for the most part.
I checked some fact based fan art of the unit and ship sizes, it is awesome to see what scale they really are.

Also there is a mod for the game with realistic unit sized I think.