Ending Support for Windows XP and Vista

General Discussion
Starting later this year, we will begin the process of ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista in World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm. Microsoft ceased mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a decent portion of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued supporting them. However, there have been three major Windows releases since Vista, and at this point, the vast majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions.

After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.
Nice feature ! I'm looking forward to it.
It's not a good idea to connect to the Internet on an XP or Vista computer now that Microsoft has stopped releasing security updates. If there is something you need an outdated OS for the. Keep it on a private network.
Does this mean the game is being "upgraded" to run better for the sake of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10? I honestly hope I'm not wishing for too much, but it would be great if that means the programming updates with the changes. A more optimized game would be fantastic.
02/17/2017 12:18 PMPosted by Zephyn
Does this mean the game is being "upgraded" to run better for the sake of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10? I honestly hope I'm not wishing for too much, but it would be great if that means the programming updates with the changes. A more optimized game would be fantastic.
It will definitely mean that without XP and Vista, there is less stuff to worry about. When you don't have to support antique Hardware environments anymore, you are free to use the modern tools.
This game could be run on XP? Lol. XP have limitations especially in available RAM memory (like 3 or 4 gb total in both graphic card and ram together). I can't even play 2v2 at 200 supply cap on medium settings at my second PC with Windows 7 64bit 8GB ram GTX550ti (1gb) and i5 2320 3.0ghz processor.
I'm amazed the drop in support for XP and Vista didn't occur much earlier.
02/15/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Cydra
After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.

Although I don't actually use either of these operating systems currently - I think it's quite bad practice if you're going to code in a check for the game not to run on these operating systems, if the game can still technically run on them.

02/18/2017 06:49 PMPosted by Cybernetic
I'm amazed the drop in support for XP and Vista didn't occur much earlier.

As if Windows 7, 8 and 10 aren't just new coats of paint on Vista. Seriously they're basically the same operating system resold three times and updated slightly, hate to burst your bubble.
Although I don't actually use either of these operating systems currently - I think it's quite bad practice if you're going to code in a check for the game not to run on these operating systems, if the game can still technically run on them.

There's no reason to support an Operating System the owners(Microsoft) don't care for anymore. The outdated coding that no longer updates is also a bad thing to keep considering when more modern systems will suffer in performance if the Devs keep holding back for the XP users.

02/18/2017 08:29 PMPosted by TERRAN
As if Windows 7, 8 and 10 aren't just new coats of paint on Vista. Seriously they're basically the same operating system resold three times and updated slightly, hate to burst your bubble.

Win7 is closer to being a reskinned Vista and Win8 was meant for Tablets and Phones then later jerry rigged to work on PC. Windows 10 if I recall correctly was built from scratch and has much less clutter than the other Operating Systems, which would explain why my computer has been running and starting a lot better since I upgraded from Win7 to Win10. Also, Win10 has Direct X12 and much more potential than XP or Vista at this point.

There's also no reason to consider XP and Vista because then they'd be wasting resources on old things when they could be moving forward with the newer things.

I'm no expert, still going to college for my computer classes, but I imagine that if developers hold back for XP and Vista users then the quality of their products may suffer for newer systems with more potential.

There's just no reason to keep supporting a stagnant OS that has less potential than newer OSs.
this is probably due to window XP gold farming bots.
Even if technically unsupported, I bet SCII at least will stay playable on Vista at least for a pretty long time.
XP is just the operating system. Why games are not compatible with lower OS is beyond me. Maybe the company doesn't feel like doing extra work to code the updates for their games on XPs or Vistas?

I mean I am sure win 7 is faster than XP but dang I loved XP. In the end though, what can run a game is not the OS but your video card, ram etc...

Like you can have an ancient OS but the rest of the stuff in your computer can be all modern.
An OS is what basically drives the computer. Let's say that just because you have the absolute best, most future-proof Video Card in the world right now. If what operates the computer's software and drivers aren't up to date then that big beefy Video Card is being limited.

The Operating System determines how well the computer can run. Just because XP is a good system, especially for it's time, doesn't mean it's going to be able to outclass Windows 10 with updated Software and Drivers just because you have more memory, video graphics or processing.

If what I recall is correct, WinXP is much more restricted than Win10 as far as software support goes and quality. The hardware is no good if what drives it is either out-dated or less efficient than the hardware itself. The hardware can be great but software is still absolutely necessary to operate it, especially if the outdated software doesn't have the capacity to run it.

That's if I remember things correctly. Basing games around out-dated unsupported software isn't good to begin with. You'd be holding yourself back from making a game that can operate amazingly well because the older software just doesn't have the capacity to run as well because it no longer gets updates.
02/18/2017 03:02 PMPosted by DukeNukem
This game could be run on XP? Lol. XP have limitations especially in available RAM memory (like 3 or 4 gb total in both graphic card and ram together). I can't even play 2v2 at 200 supply cap on medium settings at my second PC with Windows 7 64bit 8GB ram GTX550ti (1gb) and i5 2320 3.0ghz processor.

i have a WAY !@#$tier computer than that, and i can play 2v2 200 armies..

but i also play on low settings because. !@#$ computer, don't need high settings for anything either... game still plays the same no matter what graphics you have them on.. i've never understood why people NEED better graphics.. the game is not about how it looks, it's about how it plays.. but i seem to be one of the very few who think non materialistically.
Because people like aesthetics and if something looks good they may be interested. You may be one of the people who don't care about the looks much, if at all, but do try not to fail to understand why people also like it when things look nice.

Like, some people prefer to live in a home that looks nice as opposed to a home that looks like crap.
Nobody really uses XP or Vista anymore, but as long as they keep Windows 7 going that's fine cause a lot of people still use 7 due to 8 and 10's terrible ui and privacy concerns.

I imagine a lot of people are going to be sticking with Windows 7 for a long time.
Personally, I have no issues with Win10. I have nothing on this computer that's really worth being worried about as far as privacy; Whoever's watching, if they are, then I hope they enjoy the show because I've been playing a lot of FEAR lately. Going back to an old Monolith game has been really fun, the mechanics in FEAR and their A.I. is just superb for an old game. Probably the best shooter ever in my honest opinion.

Win10 though has been a great performance booster since I upgraded from Win7, the UI I don't think is bad at all. The UI is different and a few accessories and tools are categorized a bit differently but overall it's sleek and clean to me. Everything's really easy for me to handle with Windows 10. I'd say the highlight of Win10 for me is that it boots up faster and games that I play have been running better. I think it's been a matter of preference and how private you want to be, if the privacy concerns are true that is.
02/20/2017 09:00 PMPosted by Zephyn
I'd say the highlight of Win10 for me is that it boots up faster and games that I play have been running better.

Loading times are not really relevant with modern computers though - my Windows 7 boots in about 8 seconds on an SSD drive.
02/28/2017 02:51 PMPosted by memberberry
02/20/2017 09:00 PMPosted by Zephyn
I'd say the highlight of Win10 for me is that it boots up faster and games that I play have been running better.

Loading times are not really relevant with modern computers though - my Windows 7 boots in about 8 seconds on an SSD drive.

My lowest was 7.8 seconds with a HDD, my Uncle who just got an SSD had his start up in roughly 3~5 seconds, literally couldn't see BIOS.

Still awesome though.
I don't think Vista is old enough to justify this although XP definitely is.

But considering Vista was utter sheight and people avoided it like the plague, I doubt anyone would mind.