Ending Support for Windows XP and Vista

General Discussion
Funny how most are commenting on how "its not really that old" or "You should leave it up to them to make the choice" is hilarious and appalling.

Vista/XP is not only incredibly insecure but never really supported current or newer then hardware where windows 7 changed that around. The reason why they are preventing it from playing on such OLD and OBSOLETE software/hardware is to prevent people from saying "Oh this game is bugged" or "It runs like crap" because it's never been optimized (Or for that sake newer games are never optimized to run on older hardware/software) to run on OLDER stuff. We would remain in the past and if everyone had this mind set would probably still be suffering on XP/Vista.

If your hardware or software is really that old, you probably shouldn't be wasting your time playing video games in the first place (Go make some money to buy new hardware).

Sorry but this has to be said and not buttered up.
02/18/2017 08:29 PMPosted by TERRAN
02/15/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Cydra
After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.

Although I don't actually use either of these operating systems currently - I think it's quite bad practice if you're going to code in a check for the game not to run on these operating systems, if the game can still technically run on them.

02/18/2017 06:49 PMPosted by Cybernetic
I'm amazed the drop in support for XP and Vista didn't occur much earlier.

As if Windows 7, 8 and 10 aren't just new coats of paint on Vista. Seriously they're basically the same operating system resold three times and updated slightly, hate to burst your bubble.

ROFL!
Seriously bliz, this is an upset! I was angry last year when you dropped SC2 support for Windows 3.1. I had to use a DOS mod in order to get it to run directly off floppy disk. I will no longer purchase your products if you don't support slightly older setups.

sent from my Palm Pilot
03/09/2017 08:38 PMPosted by BilboBagins
Seriously bliz, this is an upset! I was angry last year when you dropped SC2 support for Windows 3.1. I had to use a DOS mod in order to get it to run directly off floppy disk. I will no longer purchase your products if you don't support slightly older setups.

sent from my Palm Pilot

The 1990s called. They want their Trio back...
I am not computer savvy so I have a question: Is it possible to get an XP background and set up and not have it impact game performance? Like I would like having "My Computer" again instead of "This PC" and in "My Computer" have it exactly like how XP had it?
Ummmmm. In Australia at least I believe that Blizzard will have to provide refunds to those still using Windows XP or Vista as the games were purchased to run on these operating systems. I'm still using Vista with no problems. Coincidentally I will be upgrading shortly anyway but Blizzard should do the right thing...
Linux anyone?
02/18/2017 03:02 PMPosted by DukeNukem
This game could be run on XP? Lol. XP have limitations especially in available RAM memory (like 3 or 4 gb total in both graphic card and ram together). I can't even play 2v2 at 200 supply cap on medium settings at my second PC with Windows 7 64bit 8GB ram GTX550ti (1gb) and i5 2320 3.0ghz processor.

The 4G ram cap is actually a 32-bit issue, not an OS issue.
Specifically, 32-bits can only support 4,294,967,296 memory addresses. That is 4096 Gigabytes of memory, since memory is usually mapped 1 byte per address.

That said, Windows XP has weaker virtualized memory than the later Windows operating systems, so maybe you might not be able to use as much hard-drive space either.

06/03/2017 10:36 AMPosted by Mandragoran
Linux anyone?

Linux support is a compatibility nightmare unless you write everything in an interpreted language like Java or ship the code (which must be written to be cross-platform compatible) in some format that can be compiled with the list of Libraries for the users to install and Link.
The alternative is to only support a few specific OSes, and compatibility would probably break between different releases of the same OS (Centos 6 vs Centos 7 for example).
06/03/2017 02:45 AMPosted by Silver
Blizzard will have to provide refunds to those still using Windows XP or Vista

Refunds for your own stupidity and laziness? Sorry mate, you should've upgraded 8 years ago LOL
Is this game still run with 2 cores max only?
RIP SC2 Demo 2010

That still runs like butter on Medium with my old Windows XP SP3 (2 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra ^^)

I scoured the Internet for that 2010 Demo just as a reminder of the very first rendition of the game I downloaded when I was ten years old ;(

In any case, majority of people now have either Windows 7 or Windows 10 (since Windows 8 was pretty bad in terms of release sales). Nevertheless, I will forever cherish that Demo on my old laptop even though I recently got a W10 gaming rig. I appreciate that Blizzard gave a heads-up to people reluctant to move on from XP and Vista.
Not happy. I am an old man- sure, I have an old system -sure, however i paid good money to play a game that ran well on my old system. You want to up date it- sure... but why make it unable to run on older systems? This is theft!
Update all you like, but let us old folk play the game we paid for! Even if that means we can't join the rest of you. LET US PLAY!
06/07/2017 06:54 AMPosted by Gheelman
Not happy. I am an old man- sure, I have an old system -sure, however i paid good money to play a game that ran well on my old system. You want to up date it- sure... but why make it unable to run on older systems? This is theft!
Update all you like, but let us old folk play the game we paid for! Even if that means we can't join the rest of you. LET US PLAY!

Get an operating system that's supported then. They were already going well past the date when the freaking manufacturers stopped supporting it. Its not their fault that you no longer have the necessary resources to play the game. They arent obligated to make sure that the game continues to run for a tiny fringe audience who refuses to update their operating system for whatever reason.
03/07/2017 12:26 PMPosted by Deacon
Funny how most are commenting on how "its not really that old" or "You should leave it up to them to make the choice" is hilarious and appalling.

Vista/XP is not only incredibly insecure but never really supported current or newer then hardware where windows 7 changed that around. The reason why they are preventing it from playing on such OLD and OBSOLETE software/hardware is to prevent people from saying "Oh this game is bugged" or "It runs like crap" because it's never been optimized (Or for that sake newer games are never optimized to run on older hardware/software) to run on OLDER stuff. We would remain in the past and if everyone had this mind set would probably still be suffering on XP/Vista.

If your hardware or software is really that old, you probably shouldn't be wasting your time playing video games in the first place (Go make some money to buy new hardware).

I NEVER had a problem running this game on my old system. Yes my system is old, but I bought this game that ran on it -perhaps you should not be wasting your time playing old games!
Go make some money?- wait till you get old and need to pay a mortgage, pay off a car loan, keep the wife happy, have kids and pay for their systems and games... or perhaps you plan to stay in your parents home for life and stay a virgin? sorry- had to be said.
06/07/2017 07:10 AMPosted by Gheelman
03/07/2017 12:26 PMPosted by Deacon

I NEVER had a problem running this game on my old system. Yes my system is old, but I bought this game that ran on it -perhaps you should not be wasting your time playing old games!
Go make some money?- wait till you get old and need to pay a mortgage, pay off a car loan, keep the wife happy, have kids and pay for their systems and games... or perhaps you plan to stay in your parents home for life and stay a virgin? sorry- had to be said.

If you cant afford a basic operating system upgrade years after the system is unsupported by the manufacturer, you probably shouldnt be spending your time playing games anyway. You should upgrade it for security reasons if nothing else, unless you really like getting malware for some reason.
Its not their fault that you no longer have the necessary resources to play the game. They arent obligated to make sure that the game continues to run for a tiny fringe audience who refuses to update their operating system for whatever reason.[/quote]
It IS their fault... their game, the one I paid for, runs on my old system -without a problem. If they want to up date out of these systems then let them sell YOU a new game. Then you have the choice, buy their update and keep playing, or stick to the old one and play that. ...nah, not so nice when they make YOU pay extra is it?
06/07/2017 07:20 AMPosted by Gheelman
06/07/2017 07:20 AMPosted by Gheelman
Its not their fault that you no longer have the necessary resources to play the game. They arent obligated to make sure that the game continues to run for a tiny fringe audience who refuses to update their operating system for whatever reason.

It IS their fault... their game, the one I paid for, runs on my old system -without a problem. If they want to up date out of these systems then let them sell YOU a new game. Then you have the choice, buy their update and keep playing, or stick to the old one and play that. ...nah, not so nice when they make YOU pay extra is it?

Look, if you want to try and force an ancient (by computer standards) machine to do something it wasnt really meant to do in the first place, more power to you. But you dont really get to demand sympathy from anybody when you run into difficulties doing it. Youre 5 operating systems out of date running an OS that is approaching the better part of two decades old, and support for it was dropped 3 years ago. You should, quite frankly, be grateful that blizzard supported it for as long as they did, because they certainly werent obliged to.
[quote="207541084913"][quote="207519287834"]

If you cant afford a basic operating system upgrade years after the system is unsupported by the manufacturer, you probably shouldnt be spending your time playing games anyway. You should upgrade it for security reasons if nothing else, unless you really like getting malware for some reason.

Tell me why shouldn't I be spending my time playing games? You do it!
And if you don't know how to prevent malware, perhaps you shouldn't be playing on pc either.
06/07/2017 07:28 AMPosted by Gheelman
[quote]
[quote="207519287834"]

Tell me why shouldn't I be spending my time playing games? You do it!
And if you don't know how to prevent malware, perhaps you shouldn't be playing on pc either.

Well youre obviously on the verge of starvation between your morgage, car loan, wife and children. You cant even muster up ~$100 to upgrade your computer after 16 years.

<rolls eyes>

Look, im trying not to get more nasty than i can help here, but youre acting like a petulant child complaining about how his feet hurt because he was running barefoot through gravel. This is entirely your own fault, and if fixing it is as much of a burden as you claim it is on you, then you arent in a position to be engaging in this hobby to begin with. I spent more money buying the expansions as they came out than i did on my up to date operating system. Gaming is a hobby. It takes money to support. If you cant muster that money for whatever reason, you dont get to do the hobby. It sucks, but thats how it works. Whining about how you dont like it isnt going to garner sympathy.
06/07/2017 07:26 AMPosted by Kelthar
But you dont really get to demand sympathy from anybody when you run into difficulties doing it. Youre 5 operating systems out of date running an OS that is approaching the better part of two decades old, and support for it was dropped 3 years ago. You should, quite frankly, be grateful that blizzard supported it for as long as they did, because they certainly werent obliged to.

Why should anyone, including yourself, be grateful to a multi million dollar company for letting you play a game that YOU PAID FOR?
I'm not looking for sympathy, just voicing my objection.
What right do they have STOPPING YOU from playing a game that YOU PAID for?