Ending Support for Windows XP and Vista

General Discussion
06/07/2017 07:45 AMPosted by Gheelman
06/07/2017 07:26 AMPosted by Kelthar
But you dont really get to demand sympathy from anybody when you run into difficulties doing it. Youre 5 operating systems out of date running an OS that is approaching the better part of two decades old, and support for it was dropped 3 years ago. You should, quite frankly, be grateful that blizzard supported it for as long as they did, because they certainly werent obliged to.

Why should anyone, including yourself, be grateful to a multi million dollar company for letting you play a game that YOU PAID FOR?
I'm not looking for sympathy, just voicing my objection.
What right do they have STOPPING YOU from playing a game that YOU PAID for?

they have the right to continue to improve the functioning of the game. The game has requirements. Blizzard is not responsible for making sure that you meet those requirements. If you choose to buy a game that you cant be certain will play (and with a computer as old as yours is, you can't, even if you technically meet the minimum requirements), that isnt their problem.
06/07/2017 07:40 AMPosted by Kelthar
[quote][quote]...
Tell me why shouldn't I be spending my time playing games? You do it!
And if you don't know how to prevent malware, perhaps you shouldn't be playing on pc either.

Well youre obviously on the verge of starvation between your morgage, car loan, wife and children. You cant even muster up ~$100 to upgrade your computer after 16 years.

<rolls eyes>

Look, im trying not to get more nasty than i can help here, but youre acting like a petulant child complaining about how his feet hurt because he was running barefoot through gravel. This is entirely your own fault, and if fixing it is as much of a burden as you claim it is on you, then you arent in a position to be engaging in this hobby to begin with. I spent more money buying the expansions as they came out than i did on my up to date operating system. Gaming is a hobby. It takes money to support. If you cant muster that money for whatever reason, you dont get to do the hobby. It sucks, but thats how it works. Whining about how you dont like it isnt going to garner sympathy.

You're right- gaming is a hobby! If I can't afford a new game because I need a new system that I can't afford -fair enough. But the point you're missing is that this is not a new game. It was sold and bought with the understanding of system requirements. If they want to stop support for older systems that's their prerogative, but they should not have right to stop me or you from playing a game that I and you have paid for, just because they want to save a few dollars.
and for the record, there is a difference between whining for sympathy and expressing an objection. Not knowing the difference is why we have Trump.
06/07/2017 08:16 AMPosted by Gheelman
If they want to stop support for older systems that's their prerogative, but they should not have right to stop me or you from playing a game that I and you have paid for, just because they want to save a few dollars.

They arent stopping you from playing it. You simply no longer possess the resources necessary to do so. If you go and get them again, you can play again. If you cant or wont, then youre out of luck.

just because they want to save a few dollars.

It has nothing to do with saving "a few dollars" and everything to do with making the game run better. Theyre using new technologies in their game that the older operating systems simply cannot support. It looks for things that arent on your computer. Background programs and resources that dont exist on XP.
I can see and agree with both sides of the argument, personally I think everyone has had more than enough time to either update or upgrade their PC to be able to run Windows 7.8/10. If your able to run LOTV then your in a position where you should be able to perform the Windows 10 upgrade (still work rounds to get it free if you google it), or go down the OEM path if your planning to buy a shiny new SSD.

However since moving to Australia I have started to pay more attention to the ACL (Aus Consumer LAWS) which tend to give higher protection to consumers than most countries, and as Blizzard sell direct to the consumer via their website store then they are bound by these regulations in Australia. I expect they would potentially fall foul of the section related to undisturbed possession/use of goods, or in more basic terms you cant sell an item with an agreed set of requirements/specifications then later change those; and yes the ACL specifically states it does cover software license/usage rights (which is why Aussie can get refunds from EA/Steam etc. much easier than the UK/USA).

The relevant consumer law in Australia is set out in the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (CCA). The Australian Consumer Law (ACL) contained in Schedule 2 of the CCA provides consumer guarantees that cannot be excluded by contract. The definition of 'goods' under section 2 of the ACL includes computer software. The obligations under the consumer guarantees fall on the supplier of goods. The supplier is the entity that supplies (or resupplies) the goods for sale, exchange, lease, hire or hire-purchase to consumers.

All software licences with Australian end-users must comply with the ACL where either:

the software is "of a kind ordinarily acquired for personal, domestic or household use or consumption" or
the amount paid or payable for the software is $40,000 or less.

TL DR version, you cant stop someone using a software product they have legally bought, you are however under no obligation to provide updates or fixes other than to ensure fit for purpose.

That being said I cant see anyone successfully changing Blizzards stance and I tend to agree with what they are doing, however it would be nice if they provided an option to not update the game (force an offline mode maybe) for those who do not want to go down the upgrade path. However I expect they will handle this no different than they did with us not being able to watch older replays, make a change and provide no work rounds.
I don't agree with this decision and is very upset, because my pc is able to run LOTV even at high settings, but i can't upgrade my OS (xp) to a newer due a drivers issues, i bought the game twice, and this is very dissapointed, i have a nforce 3 chipset with a Phenom II x4 955 4gb ram and HD3850 AGP, and my other rig have the same setup but HIS HD4670 AGP instead of 3850, the game runs pretty decent even on 4v4 games with peaks of 120 fps, this is very frustrating, common bliz!!!!
02/18/2017 03:02 PMPosted by DukeNukem
This game could be run on XP? Lol. XP have limitations especially in available RAM memory (like 3 or 4 gb total in both graphic card and ram together). I can't even play 2v2 at 200 supply cap on medium settings at my second PC with Windows 7 64bit 8GB ram GTX550ti (1gb) and i5 2320 3.0ghz processor.

in 2010 when I was playing sc2 on ultra with windows xp the game and the rig would crash after a couple of hours because of that lol.
06/08/2017 12:37 PMPosted by McMar
I don't agree with this decision and is very upset, because my pc is able to run LOTV even at high settings, but i can't upgrade my OS (xp) to a newer due a drivers issues, i bought the game twice, and this is very dissapointed, i have a nforce 3 chipset with a Phenom II x4 955 4gb ram and HD3850 AGP, and my other rig have the same setup but HIS HD4670 AGP instead of 3850, the game runs pretty decent even on 4v4 games with peaks of 120 fps, this is very frustrating, common bliz!!!!

do you still have aol internet too?

come on (insert whiners name)
06/08/2017 08:51 PMPosted by StimHorton
06/08/2017 12:37 PMPosted by McMar

do you still have aol internet too?

come on (insert whiners name)

Lol i have others rigs, but they (AGP gpus) r from my retro builds projects, at least wol must be able to play online!
02/18/2017 03:02 PMPosted by DukeNukem
This game could be run on XP? Lol. XP have limitations especially in available RAM memory (like 3 or 4 gb total in both graphic card and ram together). I can't even play 2v2 at 200 supply cap on medium settings at my second PC with Windows 7 64bit 8GB ram GTX550ti (1gb) and i5 2320 3.0ghz processor.

Hi
I'm still playing on XP 32bit, 256MB graphic, 2.7GhZ AMD proc, 4GB RAM. And it's really amazing! Okey, in 2v2 +-100supply=5fps and it's almost unplayable, but i love SCII and i want to continue playing. Do that "patch" mean that i will lose invested 60€ ? :(

You're right- gaming is a hobby! If I can't afford a new game because I need a new system that I can't afford -fair enough. But the point you're missing is that this is not a new game. It was sold and bought with the understanding of system requirements. If they want to stop support for older systems that's their prerogative, but they should not have right to stop me or you from playing a game that I and you have paid for, just because they want to save a few dollars.
and for the record, there is a difference between whining for sympathy and expressing an objection. Not knowing the difference is why we have Trump.

Sorry for the old thread bump, but I haven't played for a bit and just found out about this. I'm right there with you Gheelman. Hellsing hit the nail on the head. This game supported XP and should always be playable on XP, just as any game used to be in the old days. Imagine you not being able to play one of your old 16bit floppy disk games anymore, because of some update to it. Totally absurd. They should simply do as Gheelman and Hellsing said, by allowing you to opt out of updates and lose the ability to play online. I'd have no problem with that. I'm not sure why you couldn't play online though, but only with other people on the same version. I mean, you can still play the original StarCraft online, unless that has changed now too?!

As for OS upgrades, that doesn't even have to be about money. M$ decided to be reductive and remove features that I use heavily. There are no equivalents to them either. You don't remove features, that's called downgrading. I'd switch back to Windows 98, 95, 3.1, etc if I wanted that!

That said, Gheelman and others, my answer to this is simple. Dual boot. Buy a dirt cheap W7 OEM and slap it on some blank hard drive. Keep chugging along on XP, then reboot to W7 when you want to play. That's basically what I'll be doing.
Wow, with decent builds around $500.00 and upgrading to win 10 free. You could not get your lazy butt off a chair and work an extra job for a few weeks to make the cash? Complaining about xp compatibility is just a complete joke. We are talking about an 18 year old OS and windows 7 released 8 years ago. Heck, windows 10 was 2 years ago.