RTC 2017 Playthroughs: Jayborino & Deltron

Map Showcase
04/20/2017 05:46 AMPosted by Jayborino
We haven't recorded it yet so we'll be playing the latest version (assuming it's on NA).
Latest version is 1.8 and it's already on the NA arcade.
If you do get any extra time, v4.0 of Trading Places is now up, and very different from earlier versions.

I dont want to take away review time from anyone elses entries though. (You can play after the deadline :P)
04/20/2017 08:27 AMPosted by Cybernetic
04/20/2017 05:46 AMPosted by Jayborino
We haven't recorded it yet so we'll be playing the latest version (assuming it's on NA).
Latest version is 1.8 and it's already on the NA arcade.

Make that 1.12. Things move really fast.
Man, watching other people's entries makes me want to polish my own even more before the deadline. Anyone else feel that way?
Watching the play of my map led me to delete all of my terrain and start again from scratch. Totally worth it though.
Thanks for the Purification Redux video(I'm sure Seiken will love it :P he's also gonna enslave me more, to do a lot of the changes you suggested lol).

It's funny I added Darth Teddy without his knowledge and when he first saw it he actually suggested I do exactly what you said. If you fail to kill him constantly spawn Ewoks to attack toward your base lol. Unfortunately I convinced him the bonus objective shouldn't effect your main base like that :P.

Btw if you had hovered over Darth Teddy's unit pic(wireframe whatever you wanna call it) you would've seen his likes/dislikes. His rank also changes based on his kills with enough kills he becomes a Sith Master. If you noticed he also does red Psi-Storms and red Graviton Prisons. The reason there were a few jorium crystals there was because when it's announced it tells you that the natives have taken jorium crystals and were corrupted by them(there's multiple variations of it but that's the gist.).

I feel like I talked way too much about the bonus lol. Sorry to scare you into doing normal :P.
Looks like a boatload of new submissions; I expected this close to the deadline. We'll try to get all these recorded and posted, though they won't be uploaded until post-deadline considering we already have videos through most of this week.

I'm traveling for work at the end of May, I hope that doesn't overlap with when Blizzard times the contest because I'd really like to be around to replay the top 10 once they pick them!

Anyway, here's what we have recorded for this week. If I have a direct line to the creators, I can send an unlisted link for you when I get home later today so you can have at least a day to see it if you really want to before the deadline:

Dominion War Machines (video released later today)
Odin of War
Awakening of the Purifiers
Dilemma
Essence-O-Mania

Not sure when we'll be available for another session, so apologies to anyone who submitted fairly recently that we couldn't get to prior to the deadline.
Hey, Jayborino, just reiterating my thanks for all of the great feedback you and Deltron gave on Purification Redux. I'm working together with Gatsu to implement at least some of the changes you suggested (dependent on time/bugs that we have to smooth out). I'm also glad that you liked Darth Teddy. I laughed when your Zerglings started getting nuked.
Thanks guys for the playthrough of my map, Dominion War Machines. I've actually never tested it with 2 players so nice to know it holds up well though the Odins went down too fast for my liking.

Some answers/replies to some of your commentary:

- The reason for the long interlude (2 game time minutes) between the last 4 devices and the Odins is to allow players time to replenish their forces. The idea is to test a maxed out army against a powerful boss unit. For certain commanders, it gives them time to set up and prep for whatever strategy they want to use for the Odins.

It's not fair on players to face off against the Odins with a short turnaround or even immediately after the devices are done given that the Odins require a large amount of fire power to kill. If on higher difficulties or mutations, some players may end up with few or no units left at which point it could mean it's game over.

- There was a comment about the starting area looking like a moon. That's actually true, Valhalla is a moon. It's intentionally barren because I don't really know how to dress it up.

- About the anti air defenses for the enemy forces: this map is balanced with just a single player in mind since most players who play this map or any other RTC 2017 map is likely to be on their own. Hence there are fewer enemies to kill than there would be otherwise. Two players were always going to steamroll this.

- At 19:30, you moused over the something important.

- In the event my map gets selected for the top 10, for the next playthrough, I suggest letting at least one of the Warp Devices activate. This is to show what happens when you miss one objective and I think that is important to point out. The first device is ideal as it's only 1 and you have 3 to work with for the mission (4 means mission failure). Just make sure to camp the view on top of the device just before it sets off.

- No, McKenzie won't go out for drinks after work. She's already taken. Apparently.
List is growing so fast there's no way we'll be able to get to all these before public voting open in mid-May!

Strawman commentor: "Put out more than one video a day!"

It's less about release and how much we realistically can play in one sitting; after 4 or 5 in a row it becomes challenging to keep going.

One video a day has gotten us through a lot of the applicants and hopefully we can cover most of the remaining before the top 10 are announced, thanks all!
just admit it jay...if u see artanis,kerrigen,raynor one more time u will volunteer yourself into a mental asylum.
Is there a certain reason you feel like you have to get them done by a certain date? It seems to me there's no particular hurry; what you make videos for wont affect what Blizzard picks as top 10. As long as you give coverage to the top 10 so people can be well informed in their voting, it seems to me you could record the rest at whatever pace you want.
04/26/2017 01:06 PMPosted by BlackReapeR
just admit it jay...if u see artanis,kerrigen,raynor one more time u will volunteer yourself into a mental asylum.

Lmao, yes, this succinctly describes it.

04/26/2017 01:08 PMPosted by TheSkunk
Is there a certain reason you feel like you have to get them done by a certain date? It seems to me there's no particular hurry; what you make videos for wont affect what Blizzard picks as top 10. As long as you give coverage to the top 10 so people can be well informed in their voting, it seems to me you could record the rest at whatever pace you want.

Good point, we can revisit the others really anytime we want.
04/26/2017 01:06 PMPosted by BlackReapeR

Drives me crazy to be limited to those 3 but I've seen the code placed in Blizzard's coop mod. Don't think we can go about distributing modified Blizzard mods, but if there was a way to give these guys more commanders I'd try... post-deadline, of course; time is currently worth more than gold.