Talandar Commander Concept

Co-op Missions Discussion
I've long felt torn because many of my favourite Protoss units are from the Purifier line, but Karax's playstyle never quite clicked for me. Talandar could be a solution to this problem, but there's always been the concern he'd be too similar to Karax. But I've been thinking it over, and I think I've got a concept that should feel unique, even though it uses many units shared with other commanders.

Name: Talandar, Purifier Praetor

General concept: Talandar takes the field as a tanky melee hero unit, but that's not the only thing separating him from Karax. He also has a unique mechanic called Power Cells, which is unlocked progressively as he levels. Power Cells grants energy and powerful abilities (often auto-cast and usually with no cooldown) to nearly all units. However, this advantage comes with a downside. All Talandar's units, including the praetor himself, can only regenerate energy while standing within a power field.

Talandar is therefore unique in that he is a very defensively focused commander but has little emphasis on static defense. And while defense is where he most shines, he's no slouch on the offense, either, with a strong and highly survivable army that can "throw down with the best of them," especially if they are careful to regularly recharge their Power Cells.

Like Alarak, Talandar has two top bar abilities that are only limited by cooldowns, not energy.

Hero abilities:

Thunderous Charge: Charges at target enemy unit, stunning it and nearby enemies for 2 seconds.

Shield Capacitor: Fully restores Talandar's shields. Can be set to autocast, in which case the ability is only used when Talandar's shields are depleted.

Whirlwind: Talandar spins to damage nearby enemies for three seconds. Can move while using.

Mighty Leap (unlocked at level ten): Talandar instantly leaps to any location with vision, lightly damaging and briefly stunning enemies at the impact point. 60 second cooldown.

Top bar abilities:

Deploy Khaydarin Core: Summons an immobile Khaydarin Core at the target point. The Core has moderate health and shields, can attack ground and air for moderate damage, and generates a power field. Two charges. Lasts 12 seconds. 60 second cooldown.

Quantum Link (unlocked at level nine): Links all friendly units in the target area for six seconds. Any damage taken is split evenly between all linked units. 180 second cooldown.

Structures:

Nexus
Assimilator
Pylon
Gateway
Forge
Cybernetics Core
Photon Cannon
Twilight Council
Robotics Facility
Stargate
Fleet Beacon
Robotics Support Bay

Gateway units:

Sentinel: Basic melee warrior. Can be upgraded with Charge at the Twilight Council.

Power Cell upgrade (unlocked at level 3): Grants each Sentinel 100 energy and the Shield Recharge ability, which consumes 25 energy to restore 25 shields. When set to auto-cast, triggers whenever Sentinel's shields are fully depleted.

Instigator (requires Cybernetics Core): Purifier Stalker variant.

Power Cell upgrade (unlocked at level 3): Grants each Instigator 100 energy and allows you to research Blink at the Twilight Council. Instigator Blink costs 20 energy has no cooldown.

Replicant (unlocked at level eight, requires Twilight Council): Caster unit with no attack. Can use Replicate to create a copy of any non-heroic unit, with the energy cost based on target's supply value. Copies take 50% increased damage from all sources but are otherwise identical to the target unit.

Robotics Facility units:

Observer: Cloaked flying detector.

Ancient: Purifier Immortal variant unique to Talandar. Same stats as standard Immortal.

Power Cell upgrade (unlocked at level five): Grants each Ancient 150 energy and the Shield Recharge ability. Functions identically to the Sentinel's ability.

Colossus (requires Robotics Support Bay): Identical stats to standard Colossus, but has Purifier skin.

Power Cell upgrade (unlocked at level five): Grants each Colossus 100 energy and attaches a Photon Cannon to it. The Cannon fires independently of the Colossus's standard attack and while moving, but consumes five energy per shot. Auto-cast can be toggled off to conserve energy.

Stargate units:

Mirage: Purifier Phoenix variant.

Power Cell upgrade (unlocked at level seven): Grants each Mirage 100 energy and the Shield Recharge ability. Functions identically to the Sentinel's ability.

Tempest (requires Fleet Beacon): Capitol ship. Same stats as Artanis' version.

Power Cell upgrade (unlocked at level seven): Grants each Tempest 100 energy and allows its basic attacks to deal significant splash damage. Each shot consumes ten energy. Auto-cast can be toggled off to conserve energy.
Leveling upgrades:

1: Power Cells
Talandar and his units have powerful abilities, usually with no cooldown, but can only regenerate energy when within a power field.

2: Efficient Cells
Energy regeneration for Talandar and his units is tripled.

3: Gateway Power Cell Upgrade
Grants Power Cells to Sentinels and Instigators, adding new abilities.

4: Never Retreat
Upon reaching 0 health, Talandar becomes invulnerable and can continue to fight for four seconds before returning to his Warp Beacon to recuperate.

5: Robotics Facility Power Cell Upgrade
Grants Power Cells to Ancients and Colossi, adding new abilities.

6: Robotics Support Bay Upgrade Cache
Unlocks new upgrades at the Robotics Support Bay.
-Ancients gain +1 range.
-Colossi grant +1 armour to friendly units beneath them.

7: Stargate Power Cell Upgrade
Grants Power Cells to Mirages and Tempests, adding new abilities.

8: New Unit: Replicant

9: New Ability: Quantum Link

10: New Ability: Mighty Leap

11: Nanotech Reconstruction
When destroyed, Pylons and Photon Cannons instantly rebuild themselves at no cost. Can only occur once per structure.

12: Fleet Beacon Upgrade Cache
Unlocks new upgrades at the Fleet Beacon.
-Tempests gain increased movement speed.
-Mirages gain +1 range.

13: Never Surrender
Reduces Talandar's respawn time from his Warp Beacon by 50%.

14: Bond of Unity
Quantum Link also reduces all damage taken by affected units by 25%.

15: Redundant Power Cores
Talandar and his units can continue to regenerate energy for 8 seconds after leaving a power field.

Achievements:

Just Keeps Going and Going...: Complete a co-op mission on normal difficulty or higher without fully depleting Talandar's health or energy.

Solace of Quantum: Prevent 1,000 damage to your ally's units with Quantum Link.

Relax, Recharge: Restore 5,000 energy to your units using the power field of Khaydarin Cores.

Our Strength Is Eternal: Kill 100 enemy units with Talandar in a single mission on hard difficulty or higher.
I really like your concept! The only thing I think is missing is the Deploy Pylon ability. Given how energy regens in power fields, being able to rapidly and easily deploy permanent pylons in the field seems kind of necessary, as opposed to that temporary Khaydarin Core. His Level 11 perk ought to be a 5 minute timer deal, rather than just a one-shot safeguard that never refreshes.

This whole Power Cell system is a really neat mechanic! Great synergy with Artanis, too.
Glad you like it.

I did consider giving him Deploy Pylon, but I already gave it to Selendis in my concept for her, and I felt a temporary calldown would be a little more interesting. The need to recharge shouldn't be trivialized too much.

That said, my thinking is one Core's duration should be enough to mostly recharge your army, if not entirely, especially once you get the level fifteen perk. I'm not great with numbers, so the level two perk might need some tuning -- triple sounded like enough, but could also be quadruple or whatever.
The Immortal Purifier is called Defensor, there is data about him in editor.
I feel like a cooldown would be better than energy for all his unit's abilities (With charges on a few, like the colossus and instigator) but even then there's not a lot unique to him that makes him or his units very relevant compared to Karax's purifier units or Artanis' tempests

I otherwise like the Talandar hero ideas though, a little revision and I think it'll be a very solid suggestion
03/08/2017 11:39 PMPosted by Zarxiel
The Immortal Purifier is called Defensor, there is data about him in editor.

Eh... I think I like my name better. "Defensor" isn't even a word.

03/09/2017 05:12 AMPosted by Togetic
I feel like a cooldown would be better than energy for all his unit's abilities (With charges on a few, like the colossus and instigator) but even then there's not a lot unique to him that makes him or his units very relevant compared to Karax's purifier units or Artanis' tempests

Well that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the concept, though. The whole thing is the strategic gameplay of trying to keep your army charged.
The Starcraft Wikia says the Purifier immortal is called the resistor in the editor data, which I think is a pretty clever name (since it has a double meaning of resisting in combat as well as being an electrical component, which fits the theme of robotic warriors).

"Ancient" isn't a bad name, though it reminds me of night elf trees.
03/10/2017 05:09 PMPosted by typhoon
The Starcraft Wikia says the Purifier immortal is called the resistor in the editor data, which I think is a pretty clever name (since it has a double meaning of resisting in combat as well as being an electrical component, which fits the theme of robotic warriors).

"Ancient" isn't a bad name, though it reminds me of night elf trees.

That makes a lot more sense.

"Ancient" seemed a good name to me because it carries a similar connotation to Immortal, and because the Purifiers are all copies of actual Protoss warriors from centuries past and thus literally ancients.
I actually don't half mind this concept, though having Talandar be only grounded does make him feel a bit similar to other Hero-type commanders. The Starcraft wiki stated that there are actually some unused assets in the editor that indicated Blizzard was originally going to make Talandar transform like a Viking between ground and air. Did you know of this already and simply choose a different path? Would it be something you might consider as a design choice as your concept evolves?

I don't mind the energy cell mechanic, but what basis in canon does it have? Maybe if you called it solarite cores, it might make more sense, story-wise. And might I suggest trying to diversify some of the actives on the units? The Immortal variant is a prime example of a unit where this could help deepen your concept's design. The shield recharge ability makes me think of Artanis's defense buff for his Immortals, and it may serve the concept well to try and create a more diverse ability for the Ancients. I would suggest possibly an AoE attack damage boost for both the Ancients and allied units within a short range.

Also, if you're feeling generous, please take a look at my Tosh concept: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20753205621
03/08/2017 06:22 PMPosted by Kirena
I really like your concept! The only thing I think is missing is the Deploy Pylon ability. Given how energy regens in power fields, being able to rapidly and easily deploy permanent pylons in the field seems kind of necessary, as opposed to that temporary Khaydarin Core. His Level 11 perk ought to be a 5 minute timer deal, rather than just a one-shot safeguard that never refreshes.

This whole Power Cell system is a really neat mechanic! Great synergy with Artanis, too.

Wait, High Templar/etc regenerate energy faster in powerfields?
This is a really cool concept! I do agree with whoever said renaming the Power Cells to Solarite Cores, however solid work regardless!
03/20/2017 10:53 AMPosted by Seiken
The Starcraft wiki stated that there are actually some unused assets in the editor that indicated Blizzard was originally going to make Talandar transform like a Viking between ground and air. Did you know of this already and simply choose a different path? Would it be something you might consider as a design choice as your concept evolves?

I think I had heard that, but I'd forgotten when I did the concept. It's an interesting idea, though I think I might slightly prefer the image of him as a purely melee bruiser.

These concepts are just something I throw together for funsies, so while I might tweak them here or there, I probably won't make any major adjustments to them after I've posted them.

I don't mind the energy cell mechanic, but what basis in canon does it have? Maybe if you called it solarite cores, it might make more sense, story-wise.

Mainly I just wanted a unique gameplay mechanic, and since they're machines, the idea of having to recharge their batteries seemed to make sense.

I'm not sure there's any lore justification for Purifiers using solarite (correct me if I'm wrong). Remember that solarite was actually considered an obsolete technology -- they needed it because the Spear of Adun was so damn old it still used solarite. I know Purifiers are also rather old, but I'm not sure if they're from the same timeframe as solarite.

And might I suggest trying to diversify some of the actives on the units?

Part of my reason for not having more diversity in the abilities is I didn't want to overload the player with too much to micro. Most of your attention is meant to be spent on positioning (staying in power fields as much as possible) and using Talandar's abilities.

That said, I could see an argument for giving the Ancient a different ability, though probably still auto-cast. The current one is a little redundant with Sentinels serving as your main tanks. Not sure about an AoE attack, since that makes them overlap with Colossi a fair bit, but something different could be a good idea for sure.

Also, if you're feeling generous, please take a look at my Tosh concept:

I'm not very passionate about Tosh as a character, so I'm probably not a great person to ask. That said, it seems like a solid concept to me. My main criticisms would be I don't think he should have nukes (steps on Nova's toes too much), and that Warhounds and Valkyries seem like they'd be more appropriate for Valerian or Matt Horner. Otherwise pretty good.

03/20/2017 11:04 AMPosted by Shoobs
Wait, High Templar/etc regenerate energy faster in powerfields?

I think their point was Artanis' power field call-down would be really helpful for Talandar. Which I think is cool because Fenix and Artanis were old friends, so it'd make sense for Talandar and him to have good synergy, even if Talandar isn't exactly the original Fenix.
Forum isn't letting me edit my original post for some reason, but I came up with a new ability for the Ancient. Still a little dry, but gives them a bit more of a niche:

Power Cell upgrade (unlocked at level five): Grants each Ancient 100 energy and the Disruptor Supercharge ability, which allows Ancients to attack air. Each shot against an air target consumes 20 energy. Auto-cast can be toggled off to conserve energy.

Also, mastery bonuses!

Set one:

Talandar energy: Increases Talandar's max energy by 1% per point.

Army energy: Increases the max energy of Talandar's units by 1% per point.

Set two:

Quantum Link cooldown: Reduces the cooldown of Quantum Link by 1 second per point.

Khaydarin Core effectiveness: Increases the attack speed, health, and shields of Khaydarin Cores by 5% per point.

Set three:

Chrono Boost efficiency: Increases the effectiveness of Chrono Boost by 1% per point.

Structure warp-in time: Reduces the time required to warp-in structures by 2% per point.
That Ancient's new ability is quite nice. It provides a higher amount of utility for the unit as a reasonable cost while still differentiating from the Shadow Charge ability.

Also, thanks for the critiques on my concept. Tosh previously being a ghost was one reason behind the Kamikaze Nuke ability. That, and it was a unique way to play against Viper-heavy or burst heavy enemy builds. You sac one unit to potentially wipe the board, which I think is pretty unique for a top panel. As for the Valkyries and Warhounds, they were to provide a heavier mech/air-to-air fighter for a Commander normally lacking those options.

EDIT: I also really like that Warp-In reduction mastery for buildings. Very unique.
I like the masteries, but I think they should be done more in liking with what the devs have done with the hero unit commanders in that recent update, where it is balanced between choosing to augment the hero, and choosing to augment the army/economy.

For example, Chronoboost and Structure warp in are both economy masteries. One of them should be replaced with one that boosts Talandar, like his attack damage or attack speed, like it is for Alarak.