No Audio

Technical Support
The sound from SC2 has stopped working. The audio was fine until about a week ago. It simply did not work when I opened SC2 one day. My computer did run an update around that time, but I am unsure if they are connected. Audio from all other applications functions properly.

Here are things I have tried:

I have tried rebooting the computer and SC2 multiple times.

SC2 is not muted in the mixer. In fact, SC2 shows up in the mixer, but there is no indication it is outputting an audio signal (I am referring to the green bar that usually fluctuates with the application's sound signal)

I tried deleting variables.txt

I tried adding soundprovider=DSOUND to variables.txt

I tried various compatibility modes.

I toggled every setting on/off I could find in the in-game settings.

I would appreciate any help.

I am on an Alienware laptop.
Hello DiabloTejano!

I wonder about a few other audio settings... in-game, you've confirmed that your Master Volume is turned up? Options > Sound, and it's in the upper right of the menu.

I would also check the Output Device dropdown in the top left and make sure it matches whatever you have set up, either outputting to headphones, or to the laptop speakers. You can try changing the default device within the Windows settings as well when changing that setting in SC2... tab out to Windows, right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar, and go to Playback devices to change them.

Best of luck in your adventures :)
Thank you for the fast response.
Unfortunately, I have tried the things you mentioned. The Master Volume is all the way up. The output is set to default (the only option in the dropdown menu). I am simply using the laptop speakers. I currently have them set as default in windows as you suggested.
Hello again DiabloTejano!

They were low-hanging fruit, but sometimes there's something simple that was overlooked. Darn ><

Let's see... other things that come to mind is maybe it has to do with the display mode. Try toggling between fullscreen or fullscreen-windowed and see if there's a difference.

We can also see if there's a program in the background interfering, like something else that might be monopolizing the audio process. The following steps will reboot into a 'light' mode where only the bare essential programs are running:

Closing Background Applications

After rebooting into this mode, please retry running the Blizzard app and playing as you normally would.
Still no luck.

Toggling between window/full screen modes did not help.

I also tried the selective startup, but still have no audio.

Any other ideas?
Is there anything else I can try?
I have the same issue with no sound as well. It ended up being my alienware sound center. It was making starcraft 2 think my speaker setup was 7.1 when in reality my setup is stereo, but since blizzard decided to make it where you can't change your speaker setup in game, I have to uninstall alienware sound center before I can play starcraft. What needs to happen is Starcraft 2 needs to be patched to allow changing the speaker setup in sound options. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen. I shouldn't have to uninstall programs from my system to be able to play a game, because they have easily changeable options greyed out.
04/05/2017 01:55 PMPosted by wolverine
I have the same issue with no sound as well. It ended up being my alienware sound center. It was making starcraft 2 think my speaker setup was 7.1 when in reality my setup is stereo, but since blizzard decided to make it where you can't change your speaker setup in game, I have to uninstall alienware sound center before I can play starcraft. What needs to happen is Starcraft 2 needs to be patched to allow changing the speaker setup in sound options. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen. I shouldn't have to uninstall programs from my system to be able to play a game, because they have easily changeable options greyed out.

Thank you so much for the input.
It turns out this was indeed my problem. Instantly fixed it.

I was able to circumvent uninstalling it by disabling the program and taking it off of my startup programs list.

I agree, this could obviously be fixed through a small effort on the part of Blizzard. Hopefully it is recognized soon and corrected.

I had the same issue. I was getting no sound in SC2 but other computer applications and battlenet games worked fine. I checked the SC2 sound options and sure enough it was locked into thinking I had 7.1 surround sound when I don't. However, I don't have an alienware. To fix it, I had to use headphones, and in my Windows playback devices menu, I go to the headphones' Properties. The last tab in properties is "Spatial Sound," in which I can tell the headphones to use the "Windows Sonic for Headphones" Spatial Sound format. Selecting this format allows me to check a box for "Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound," and once I did that, the in game sound worked!
04/05/2017 04:51 PMPosted by DiabloTejano

Thank you so much for the input.
It turns out this was indeed my problem. Instantly fixed it.

I was able to circumvent uninstalling it by disabling the program and taking it off of my startup programs list.

I agree, this could obviously be fixed through a small effort on the part of Blizzard. Hopefully it is recognized soon and corrected.

This error keeps happening in the Alienware R3. I followed these suggestions and them worked for me. It would be helpful if the blizzard technical support team can fix this issue, it's really annoying.