Top Ten, Rock the Cabinet Co-Op edition

Co-op Missions Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6
06/08/2017 09:02 AMPosted by Horebane
Do you have to beat the mission to get the tickets? My favorite is the odin,archangel, and dheka map.

The two maps i despise the most solarite and mercenary. I can especially see why solarite only have two stars. Mecenary was decent but that map was pure annoyance.

You don't have to beat it, just complete it to its victory or failure condition with other human players.
06/08/2017 09:02 AMPosted by Horebane
Do you have to beat the mission to get the tickets?

No, you must hold out at least 10 minutes before being defeated. You also need to play with another person.

A Game is considered “played,” under these rules when a player installs and plays the Game to completion, where "completion," is playing a game to its designed victory or failure condition with other human players, unless the game only requires one player, with game play duration to be no less than ten (10) minutes.
A lot of people are posting their thoughts on all top 10, so I guess I'll join in:

Voted For:

Solar Right

I liked the terrain and the challenge of the game-play, specifically how much multitasking is required. It has its faults for sure (like how Amon gets Solarite at a really fast rate even if you kill all of his harvesters) but regardless I had a lot of fun playing Solar Right so I ended up voting for it.

Primal Ascension

I was disappointed with how easy it was (most of the bosses instantly die to Spider Mines so I kind of just stuck to Artanis and wasted all of my money on 80+ photon cannons at our bases and only built a few units).

But putting this flaw aside it's one of the more polished missions and could practically join the co-op map pool as-is!

Death from Above

While a few things seemed tacked-on (like some Bonus Objectives) it was overall polished and could also almost join the co-op map pool as-is. I didn't really find the game-play that compelling (again maybe just because it was easy) but it's still well-made.

Mercenary Business

Was very on the fence about this vote, nearly didn't, but I felt like it was one of the few maps that genuinely had different game-play. A lot of them are just "get a death-ball, a-move point marked on mini-map". This map will favor some commanders too much over others, but I think that's the sacrifice to be made for having a mission that genuinely plays differently. Plus it was one of the maps that was posted early, and I got to see it develop from an early stage. The developer worked hard to fix a lot of the issues the map had early on.

The others:

Immortal Siege

As endearing as the immortal Ultralisks seemed thematically, their actual effect on game-play isn't as interesting. But I almost voted for it over one of my other picks, but decided not to due to it's general lack of polish. I would not be sad to see this map reach top 10, but ultimately, you can only vote for 5 maps!

Part and Parcel

Despite the high production quality I didn't find this one that fun, maybe because it was too easy. The Archangel needs your help clearing the location and killing the shards, never does anything cool -- basically a glorified door-opener -- and the shards as it's victim aren't as interesting as something else could have been. I wish Part and Parcel had dared to do more with it's concept. As it is, I wanted to like it but decided to go with voting for some other maps.

Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt was another mission I wanted to like, but ultimately found myself not enjoying my time playing it that much. You do a lot of waiting, and the boss battles you do at the objective point aren't as interesting as some maps like Primal Ascension and comes with the added frustration of the suicidal Christopher. Close, but misses the mark on a few points.

Armory Retaking

Armory Retaking is the epitome of being well-produced but not necessarily with interesting game-play and just didn't quite make the cut when up against other maps like Primal Ascension or Death from above. Like those two maps, it's technically well-made but when it comes down to it, you build a death-ball and a-move the objective. But watching the Thor slowly walk wasn't as interesting as Primal Ascension or Death from Above. I couldn't say its a bad map, just not as fun as the others!

Construction Yard

Construction Yard just seemed like a worse Solar Right: like Solar Right, you have to defend a lot of points throughout the map, taxing your multitasking far more than an average map. Like Solar Right (and it's cheating Solarite generation for Amon) Construction Yard sometimes felt like it was cheating with its random, unpredictable drops right on to objectives with no forewarning. But it didn't have as good terrain, voice-acting, or overall quality/polish. It just wasn't that notable in any particular area.
Skunk with the savage reviews.

Personally, I think a common flaw in a lot of them maps is trying to do too many things at once. This either results in bad gameplay or a lack of polish (or both, but most of those didn't make the cut). I suspect that no matter what map ends up winning, Blizzard will try to drop the number of moving parts down a bit.
@TheSkunk
I would like to see you review your own map as well if you don't mind. Now that you've received more feedback and it has been a while since you were able to change anything, where do you think it excels and what would you change / improve upon?
Greetings everyone! I'm the creator of Scavenger Hunt.

I think everything has been said about Scavenger Hunt, but I wanted to say a thing or two about the bosses:

They're meant to be tricky, but they also offer some replayability. See, the boss types are random each time you play. The idea behind them was to create a micro challenge so the player dodges their attacks, as well as lure them away from Christopher.

Any boss becomes mundane if the player doesn't care about the survival of their own units, but trying to beat the boss before Chris dies, that's a challenge.

Of course, balancing all of this is easier said than done. The commander abilities like Solar Bombardment make it too easy at times, not to mention that I underestimate just how many units the players have after the first boss.

Sometimes it's too easy, sometimes it's too hard. But I knew from the beginning that only a certain type of player will like this. Those who seek a challenge and don't mind failing several times until they finally beat it.
If I've entertained these few people, then it was all worth it in the end.

Of course, this doesn't excuse the long waiting times, or the few bugs that still show up.
As others have mentioned before, we can't update our maps until the contest is over. But once Rock the Cabinet is over, I'll update my map and fix all the glaring issues. I owe you guys that much for your patience with the map.

One last thing: I think I speak for every mapmaker when I say that seeing anybody liking the unique approach of one's map is great. We thank you all for every bit of feedback we can get! It gives us a huge morale boost.

Keep up the feedback, and have fun with the RTC maps!
I think the best advice I can give towards Scavenger Hunt is to make the difficulty of each boss dynamic, no matter which form each takes. Have the one at the beginning have less health and attack power than the ones at the end. If possible, invest more waiting time for the players to prepare at the beginning instead of the end.
06/08/2017 02:54 PMPosted by deltronLive
@TheSkunk
I would like to see you review your own map as well if you don't mind. Now that you've received more feedback and it has been a while since you were able to change anything, where do you think it excels and what would you change / improve upon?

Sure. For Cradle of Death specifically, I think Kelthar says it well:

Personally, I think a common flaw in a lot of them maps is trying to do too many things at once.

I stand by most of my design choices in Cradle of Death, but ultimately I put too many of them in one mission. Take controlling the Payload, for an example. I think giving players control over a special objective unit is a great idea with plenty of potential, but with everything else going on it becomes too much for some co-op players.

Similarly with the special Hybrid units, while I like the way I implemented them, with the other complexity of the map it probably would have been better to have them simplified: pre-placed near each objective point. Their unpredictability can be a fun challenge in some situations, but ends up being too stressing at times with everything else going on.

I didn't change these elements, because strip out too many of these features and you end up with a map thats just too much like Mist Opportunities, but in its current state I think it's just a bit too much of a hodge-podge of different concepts which is fun in it's own right but not ideally suited for a co-op mission.

I've had numerous complaints about the Terrain and Lighting throughout it's development, which I would have fixed if I were capable.

As for what it excels at, I think the sheer amount of effort and attention to detail I put into it is at least subconsciously recognized by some players, and personally, I think the voice-over was the most entertaining out of the top 10. Some voice actors for the other missions did a good job, but they just didn't play as interesting characters. The variety and re-playability is also a good plus, although I'm not sure the average voter will play it more than once.

As a side note, I actually haven't got that much more feedback on the map since it got top 10. I think one of the reasons my map ended up so good is because I did a better job than most developers of getting high quality and high quantity of feedback during development. While I've had a lot of people commenting on the map after getting top 10, most of the comments have been positive and the negative ones haven't been as helpful as pre-top-10 feedback I gathered.
Voting has officially ended! Good luck to the Top 10 and the playtesters and the free stuff!
Would be cool if they announced when the top 5 will be announced. I guess in either 1-2 weeks. But a official confirmation would be nice.
06/10/2017 11:57 AMPosted by BlackReapeR
Would be cool if they announced when the top 5 will be announced. I guess in either 1-2 weeks. But a official confirmation would be nice.

I was wondering if the results were released yet (The button doesnt work on their page).. makes me wonder about vote rigging >.> (I say this semi humorously with an awkward smile)..

I guess we get to wait a bit.
They actually never show the voting in these contest. Not sure what a vote button does. Was like this with the mutation contest as well.