Season 3 Maps Update

General Discussion
Hey everyone,

Hope you have been enjoying DreamHack Valencia! We had a quick update to share regarding maps. We've been reading the feedback regarding next season’s map pool and we have heard your concerns around the map pick Frost LE. We thought Frost LE would be a good addition because the map pool was lacking a four player map and we wanted more diversity to allow for a greater variety of strategies to be used next season. However, after reading over all the feedback, we agree that the map may have seen too much play recently and have decided to make a change to our plans for next season’s map pool. We will be switching out Frost LE and replacing it with Catallena LE. Catallena is a solid three player map and we think it would be a good addition for next season’s map pool.

With that substitution, next season’s map pool would look like this:

Acolyte
Interloper
Mech Depot
Abyssal Reef
Ascension to Aiur
Odyssey
Catallena

As always, your feedback is appreciated so please let us know what you think.
Catallena? Bleh. Never liked it because it was a really good reaper map and that was in hots before mass reaper grenade was a thing. If they wanted a 3 player map, merry-go-round has always been the better option.
how will this work in lotv? lotv needs more bases reason you should look at old lotv maps over hots maps.
I'd like to suggest my own maps:

Rush Map:
  • http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524746-2-dark-origin
  • Inbase Natural Map:
  • http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524297-2-booma
  • catallena seems like a poor choice before a reaper nerf
    Eclipse neither of those are 3/4 player maps.
    07/14/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Ascarecrow
    how will this work in lotv? lotv needs more bases reason you should look at old lotv maps over hots maps.

Bel'Shir had 10 bases and Catallina has 15 and its actually rather large. Map vision might be interesting but it's not a bad map IMHO.
    07/14/2017 01:20 PMPosted by Shyrshadi
    07/14/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Ascarecrow

Bel'Shir had 10 bases and Catallina has 15 and its actually rather large. Map vision might be interesting but it's not a bad map IMHO.
    need to take into account space between bases. frost has 16 bases but doesnt make it a very good map since zerg cant get 5th.
    STOP with the trash reaper maps. Bring it dusk tower, orbital or some other lotv map with enough resources.
    Seems like a good map pool, this'll be interesting.
    I want dusk towers.
    Why? Why an old map? Theres so many new maps to choose from and you go with a HotS map? Come on guys! theres only 7 maps per season and seasons are months long! We've already played Catallena.

Please, please, please just throw in a new map. I don't like playing on old maps designed for a different iteration of the game, and I'm not alone in that sentiment. Please add a new map into the pool. No more reusing old maps.
    07/14/2017 01:18 PMPosted by AVEX
    Eclipse neither of those are 3/4 player maps.

The Balance Team actually says that they want a more diverse mappool for more variety in stragies. 4 player maps can allow that as the starting positions are random which also increases the amount of variety in openings. But with that also luck starts to play a role, which propably was the reason why there were not so many 4 player maps during LotV.
    Dusk would be a fun map to bring back tbh.
    Oh well, really not the best choice but that's okay I guess, probably going straight to a lot of players' veto list probably.
    i am really woundering why you wanna try out catallena. it was a pain in the butt to play and it got worse in lotv because of expanding paths and proxy positions in the middle of the map. there are a lot of maps i think a lot of ppl would appreciate way more. teraform, whirlwind, overgrowth, dusk tower (ya long time in pool i know but still better the catallena). catallena will be a huge veto for every protoss and zerg because of expanding paths and development in the mid game vs terran.
    Don't put in catallena, why don't you use a better balanced map like overgrowth?
    I love 3-player maps! I love Catallena xD
    So the reason i was against Frost is that i don't want to see old maps make a comeback. Now we get Catallena and it's the same issue tbh. I'm really disappointed. Why can't we have a new map that has not been in yet? There are countless maps out there, just choose one.