when to gas/tech up?

Zerg Discussion
i'm high diamond probably going to be masters soon, as my micro is very high level, but there is just one thing i can improve but i'm not sure exactly how other players do it
it is deciding when it is the time to upgrade and tech up, especially in more intensive matches. i usually beat terran and protoss by pure micro skill, but since zvz you're fighting the same units, it mostly falls to the macro decisions. my high level micro saves me many times but eventually i get to face players who got a better macro and my micro won't be enough
i can open just fine, just i'm not sure when exactly i should add more extractors, the evo chamber, the roach warren, the lair etc. sometimes i add them too early, sometimes too late, i just do it by feel and against master players i end up being behind in army numbers
so, how master players do it? they just memorize a build order and play it that way, or do they have a real reference? i probably could improve my other matchups with this information too, as sometimes for example when my spire is done i usually have gas only for very few mutas and i can't do anything with them, so i just sit them back at my base until their number is more significant
i hate memorizing build orders as i'm a very reactionary player, i build my strategy as my opponent builds his
ill answer in the morning. way to drunk atm to think straight. maybe post some replays.
08/11/2017 04:59 AMPosted by Ascarecrow
ill answer in the morning. way to drunk atm to think straight. maybe post some replays.

sure, though the replay will probably be boring http://ggtracker.com/matches/7140380

i lack knowledge of how many gas i should take for what purpose, that and i also lack the timings for when to start upgrades/teching up. this game specifically the reason I lost wasn't that but because i went a bit too agressive against the mutas, still, could've been much better if i improved these little macro things.
I just want to know how master players know those things. do they memorize, do they have some reference, or it's just experience?
aside from that i feel very comfortable dealing with most situations thrown at me
08/11/2017 01:05 PMPosted by Democracy
I just want to know how master players know those things. do they memorize, do they have some reference, or it's just experience?
all 3 kinda. which experience/understanding we always have a reference. also play to the map more. example in that replay u took the back base. why? there is no benefit if going roach. either go gasless 3 base 3:20 double gas or go 2 base muta.

if u play 2 gas ling bane in zvt/p u only need gasses after u have reached saturation on 3 base. if playing hydra timing or roach then naturally need more. so ill make it simple.

standard zvz ling bane 3 base pressure (33 sup to 44 lings) u are putting pressure on u drone up to ~40 drones then add double gas, roach warren and evo.

zvp- standard hatch first, ling speed>overlord speed>overlord drop>+1 melee>scout tech (if sg 4 base drone hard with queen ling defence)tw add 2 gas+roach warren then go into lair.
hydras need at least 5 gas when playing ling bane hydra.

zvt- vs 2-1-1. 1 gas 3 base style is fine similar to zvp except 2 evos at 175gas. if verse factory i prefer bane nest 2nd gas and then 2 evos.

if u want roach rav or more timing based stuff let me know. ur timing in replay was fine but u were too passive and didnt scout once lair done.
I'm no expert, but i like to go roaches vs p/t so i take 2 more gasses when i get 2 bases fully saturated. My coach showed me this style.