Co-op Missions Update - 8/17

Co-op Missions Discussion
Hi Everyone,

We wanted to update everyone on some of the things the team is working on.

Balance and Win Rates
As someone correctly pointed out in the Co-op forums, win rates can be misleading, especially when a commander is brand new. We need some time for the data to settle in since everyone is still learning how to use the commander’s units and abilities. An initial high win-rate may be caused by a disproportionally large number of games that accompanies the release of a new commander. That said, we can’t strictly rely on data to make good decisions. We must ask ourselves, is the commander fun to play? Are there enough viable strategies? Is the difficulty in the right spot? Other data points are also valuable to consider as well, such as win rates in mutation challenges and use rates in both modes. And of course, feedback from our awesome community!

Abathur seems to be doing well after the recent changes we made. Fenix’s numbers are looking better but we’ve read your feedback and we’re planning on making additional changes, both in this patch, and in future patches.

Fenix
One of Fenix's main themes is having powerful champions leading the way into combat and never truly falling because they can instantly transfer into another shell. With this in mind, we are making some targeted changes to help make this a powerful playstyle for Fenix. Champions will have more armor, shorter attack range, move faster, and gain improved Tactical Data Web bonuses. The result should be champions rushing into the front lines, soaking up damage, transferring into a new shell and repeating the process until the battle is won. We are exploring some changes to the “Avenging Protocol” upgrade but we’re not ready to share details at this time. We also lowered the costs for a few of the champion upgrades to get them in the fight sooner. We will continue to watch Fenix so please let us know how these changes feel and how he's doing in Mutation challenges!

Co-op AI
We are reverting the AI change that made units go after the player spawner units (Carrier, Swarm Host, Zagara, etc). Unfortunately, this change did not really get us the best results and additionally caused some aberrant side effects.

Future Content
Not only are we working to keep the current state of the game healthy, we working on new content as well! The team has been hard at work creating new missions, incorporating the Rock the Cabinet contest winner and working on new commanders. Of course, our StarCraft II community and PR teams would be quite upset if I spoiled everything here so I better keep my mouth shut and get back to work! =)

David Sum
Wait, was this thread here the entire time, or did it stealthily appear just now?

Eitherway... Thank you so much for listening to our feedback, and thank you for taking the time to post in the coop forums! These changes seem to be headed in the right direction - hopefully they go over well!

And Dehaka should be coming soon... Its a good time to be a Coop player.
Cannot wait for Monday's announcement!
Great update, thank you David.
A Dev post? In the co-op forums!?

::Looks outside::.. Hmm, sky still seems to be in place... odd...

::Pulls up Hell, Michigan Weather report::
Hell, MI
Thursday 6:00 PM
Mostly Cloudy
82°F
Precipitation: 15%
Humidity: 71%
Wind: 10 mph

Nope, Hell hasn't frozen over..

What the heck is going on?
Hello David Sum, thank you very much for posting this in Co-op forum, and many thanks to the developer team for listening to us. I'm looking forward to these changes.
08/16/2017 09:11 AMPosted by David Sum
Co-op AI
We are reverting the AI change that made units go after the player spawner units (Carrier, Swarm Host, Zagara, etc). Unfortunately, this change did not really get us the best results and additionally caused some aberrant side effects.

Love you.
08/17/2017 03:10 PMPosted by Jeslis
What the heck is going on?
The day has come that our prophet Yattien has been preparing us for! The Devs from the Holy Mountain of Blizzard descended upon us, and shun their light in our troubles, giving us hope! The day of 8/17 shall be forever marked in the history of the Coop Forums as the day of glory, and will be remembered for eternity!

Praise Yattien!
Praise David Sum!
Praise Blizzard!

PS. The date looks even better in the non-american format, as it's 17/8/17. :P
Thank you so much for the update.
Glad to know where things will be going and i believe that it is going the right way.
I appreciate this very much.
Really looking forwars for Fenix changes and a new commander.
Thank you for coming to visit us here in our co-op hole, devs. It is appreciated.

Also, glad to hear the AI changes are being reverted.
08/16/2017 09:11 AMPosted by David Sum
Champions will have more armor, shorter attack range, move faster, and gain improved Tactical Data Web bonuses. The result should be champions rushing into the front lines, soaking up damage, transferring into a new shell and repeating the process until the battle is won.

One thing that just came to my mind. Please make sure you don't reduce the attack range of Clolarion's Beam attack. It already has a shorter range than "release interceptors" making him frequently halt before any enemy comes close enough to make him use the beam.
This is one champion that could really trip over a change like this.
Whoa, I posted that win rate topic, that's exciting! Thank you David :)

Happy to hear the focus is around his Champion build. Mass carriers can be satisfying, but the commander was built with such a cool mechanic re: the demiheroes.
This seems like a bit of an unpopular opinion here, but I honestly thought that the previous changes made to Fenix's Praetor Armor suit made a huge difference in how he felt to play. The removal of the 'Armored' tag combined with the lower Shield Capacitor cooldown and 'Strong Heart' upgrade, all worked really well together.

Just being able to reliably use Thunderous Charge to engage an attack wave and then still walking away unscathed thanks to the Shield Capacitor - it really made me appreciate how much fun it was having an 'uber-Zealot' as a hero unit.

With all that being said, I'm still really glad that you're deciding to test some things out with his Champion fantasy! I know that I've been a bit critical of that area in the past (back when I was less experienced with using all of Fenix's units correctly), and while it's certainly become easier for me to use over time, having the champions feature into his gameplay in a more meaningful and impactful way sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

Which also leads me into asking, do the dev team have any thoughts on some Probius buffs? Maybe he and Kaldalis could have some sort of mutual buff when they're close to each other, since they both went through that whole thing on Auir together? Even something like the +HP/Shields that is afforded to normal champion units might go a long way towards making him more combat viable in the eyes of Probius fans.

All I know is, I'm glad that you're posting on our forums and reading our feedback regularly! It's always nice to feel like our opinions are being noticed.
So after Yattien complained about the coop feedback posting in the wrong place, it is immediately posted back here.... interesting.....
Awesome update! I'm especially looking forward to the new maps! Will a new one get released with the new commander being shown at Gamescom?

GL HF!
08/17/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Jayborino
Whoa, I posted that win rate topic, that's exciting! Thank you David :)

Happy to hear the focus is around his Champion build. Mass carriers can be satisfying, but the commander was built with such a cool mechanic re: the demiheroes.

I'm not wanting to burst your bubble but a lot of people were saying and posting about how win rate wasn't accurate. I myself said it was especially inaccurate for a brand new commander, almost in the exact same words used by David, as did many others. Like I said, not wanting to burst your bubble but keep that in mind, especially when you zombiefied your topic just too mention this.

I'm actually surprised but very happy that blizzard have finally posted in here about co-op and not the general board. In fact, I'm surprised but happy they actually posted anything. It shows that we are all being listened to, since this was one of our biggest requests (that didn't involve game changes).

Long may it continue.
It's been said already, but Thank You for posting this in the Co Op forum.
We love updates from you and are genuinely grateful for your post.
<3
Thank you for your update David! And like everyone says, it's time you posted on the coop forums !

Can't wait to see new commanders and maps!!!!