Need advice for Zvt

Zerg Discussion
Hi guys....

Long story short I used to main Protoss, but these days I'm mostly offracing as zerg.
Playing Zerg is fun and I made it into gold (older player with limited time so yeah, it's ok for me)
Anyways, ZvZ I'm doing ok, ZvP was a little hard at first against certain builds but now (partly thanks to advice on this forum and watching pro games) it's my best matchup, almost an auto-win in gold unless I make stupid mistakes (love it when they go air because down comes the Hydra hammer...as long as I hit early enough)

ZvT. however, I'm finding really hard.

I've won some ZvT of course, just because of better macro than some players, but yeah..... not sure what to do. If I play aggressively it usually doesn't work as terrans have so many tools for turtling and tanks are really strong, and if I go for a long macro game all the harass they have usually just means I will lose later to a bigger army.... not to mention that tanks wreck almost everything even later on (except flyers, but mutas suck against terrans and getting to Broodlords while defending various forms of harass to beat a guy that can churn out tanks much earlier seems pretty tough).

Any advice? How do you approach this matchup?

Honestly, it feels to me like SC2 is a little like BW (Z bettter than P and T better than Z)... but whatever, imba or not it's the way it is.
Need more informations preferably replays. When versing terran you have to scout what composition they are going for and react. ling bane hydra or roach ravager is the meta atm because of how versatile they are. if u are playing ling bane hydra u need to spread creep, macro up (drones upgrades and units) defend till hive. being aggressive doesnt work till you know how to be aggressive better to learn defensive style then move onto more complicated playstyle.
09/12/2017 07:50 PMPosted by niteowl
Hi guys....

Long story short I used to main Protoss, but these days I'm mostly offracing as zerg.
Playing Zerg is fun and I made it into gold (older player with limited time so yeah, it's ok for me)
Anyways, ZvZ I'm doing ok, ZvP was a little hard at first against certain builds but now (partly thanks to advice on this forum and watching pro games) it's my best matchup, almost an auto-win in gold unless I make stupid mistakes (love it when they go air because down comes the Hydra hammer...as long as I hit early enough)

ZvT. however, I'm finding really hard.

I've won some ZvT of course, just because of better macro than some players, but yeah..... not sure what to do. If I play aggressively it usually doesn't work as terrans have so many tools for turtling and tanks are really strong, and if I go for a long macro game all the harass they have usually just means I will lose later to a bigger army.... not to mention that tanks wreck almost everything even later on (except flyers, but mutas suck against terrans and getting to Broodlords while defending various forms of harass to beat a guy that can churn out tanks much earlier seems pretty tough).

Any advice? How do you approach this matchup?

Honestly, it feels to me like SC2 is a little like BW (Z bettter than P and T better than Z)... but whatever, imba or not it's the way it is.

I'm in Gold League as well and also an older gamer with limited gaming time.

What I normally do vs Terran in general (and it'll vary based on what the Terran is doing), is go the Roach/Ravager route with some Zergling support. This allows me to harass, potentially crack or turtle, or try to contain them/secure additional expansions for me. I tend to bypass Banelings since I'm not good with them yet.

I then usually get Infestors and depending on their composition, either Hydralisks or tech to Ultralisks. Most Terrans, especially at Gold-level, seem to have issues dealing with Ultralisks supported by Infestors.

If Planetary Fortresses are an issue, a few Vipers for Blinding Cloud have served me well. You can also use that versus Siege Tank lines, but I find simply using Ravagers earlier on or pushing with Ultralisks does just fine.

If I suspect drops, in the early game, I place a Spore Colony in with my workers, and I also always get two Queens per Hatchery. This, with Ravagers, helps against any Liberator harass as well.

I usually get the Ground Carapace upgrade first over attacks until I decide what composition will deal with the Terran the best. If I plan ranged, then obviously that. If I expect to get Ultralisks ASAP, I'll start going ground.

Hope some of this helps.
Ok guys, thanks for the advice.....

I won't post replays because they are all rather random......
In the other match ups I know what to do in most situations (not that I win every game, of course, but at least I know what I should do to have a chance to win), ZvT, well, it's a tough one....especially on maps where they can easily expand (lots of chokes etc)

I never really tried roach/ravager, I'll give it a try (but I understand that, like most zerg ground units, it struggles against tanks)

Another issue if that if they just turtle and build a big army...... it seems any zerg army melts to it.
Also, it seems like we have to mostly defend. I don't like that. I like to play aggressively, except tanks wreck any early push.

anyways, thanks again, and if you have any other advice feel free to mention it ;)
09/13/2017 08:23 PMPosted by niteowl
I never really tried roach/ravager, I'll give it a try (but I understand that, like most zerg ground units, it struggles against tanks)

Another issue if that if they just turtle and build a big army...... it seems any zerg army melts to it.
Also, it seems like we have to mostly defend. I don't like that. I like to play aggressively, except tanks wreck any early push.

anyways, thanks again, and if you have any other advice feel free to mention it ;)

Siege Tanks are unable to dodge the Ravagers Corrosive Bile while in Siege Mode and take lots of damage. Don't just charge in blindly though, be smart about your engagements and do them on your terms as much as possible.

Turtling Terrans are great. You can then safely expand and out macro them. Ultralisks, Brood Lords, Vipers, Infestors, Corruptors, and some Hydralisks or Roaches with Ravagers will do well against them later in the game, and until then: Swarm Hosts. Easy harassment, minimal risk, pays for itself. You'll loose lots, but Scarabs are "free" and your other units in larger later engagements you'll be able to easily replace on the massive income you'll be getting.

Deny the Terran's expansion attempts as much as you can, and you can even try a Nydus Worm in clever spots. Or just make one to panic them and then hit more conventionally elsewhere.

Zerg is generally a more defensive Race.
09/13/2017 08:23 PMPosted by niteowl

That's absolutely right. My general rule of thumb is "don't attack into tanks before hive". At hive you get blinding cloud and broodlords which are the hardest counters to marine tank you can hope for. Before that, a siege tank line may as well be indestructible (unless you can catch them unsieged, or unsupported, or something in which case jump on it!)
09/14/2017 09:31 AMPosted by Juxtapose
Turtling Terrans are great. You can then safely expand and out macro them.

Pretty much this. IMO the correct response to scouting a lot of investment into turtling is to take another base, make 5 more queens and go on a creeping rampage.
09/14/2017 09:31 AMPosted by Juxtapose
Deny the Terran's expansion attempts as much as you can

Again, agreed 100%. Even if you can delay his natural for 30 seconds with some lings, do it. The third is the one I like to invest a big group of lings and/or roaches to really deny as much as possible. The third is almost always much harder to defend for the terran so expanding to it usually makes them vulnerable. If you can hit them with a drop in their main while distracting their army at their third you really slow down their economy. Eventually they'll get it, but hopefully by then you've already got a fourth up and hive on the way.
Does this help?
http://ggtracker.com/matches/7178071

Holding the terran home with drops, scout with overlords for defensive weaknesses (only 2 tanks at the main ramp - easy zergling victim; didn't see it fast enough)

He didn't play bio though so no big baneling mine hits. :-(

Edit: Take this replay/my way of playing ZvT as some hints. There are other great things to learn.
Find some cool stuff and then always, always watch your replays and try to find weaknesses in the terran defense. You will always find them but don't overproduce combat units.
Instead of 2 overlords with 8 banelings just use 8 lings in one overlord and use the gas for upgrades and tech towards t3 (boordlords, vipers).

Train your viper micro at a unit test map lotv (arcade section of Sc2):
* Corruptor/Viper to snack carriers one after the other or battle cruisers
* Blinding Cloud on Tanks, then a-move (full surround before that)
* 'refill' vipers & heal them (sort out the injured vipers & heal them with queens)
* prepare evolution chambers for your vipers to suck on (like 3-5)