Community Update - October 5

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Hey everyone, thanks for the continued feedback and please let us know your thoughts on the changes below. Also, you can visit our main blog to see a bulleted-list of changes we’re currently running on the testing matchmaker. For now let’s dive into the next set of changes below.

Shield Battery
We’ve heard feedback regarding the Shield Battery’s strength when combined with Gateway proxy openings. We are changing the Shield Battery’s requirement from Gateway to Cybernetics Core and increasing the Shield Battery’s warp in time from 17.9 to 28.6 seconds. This should help balance the effectiveness of early proxy Gateway openers.

Swarm Host
The Swarm Host’s movement speed on creep seemed a bit fast and we are reducing the Swarm Host’s on creep movement speed from 5.362 to 4.088. This also brings the Swarm Host creep speed bonus in line with other Zerg combat units. The off creep movement speed will remain the same at 3.15.

Scrambler Missile
The Scrambler Missile’s speed was a bit slow and we are increasing the missile’s acceleration from 14 to 22.4. This should help the Scrambler Missile make contact a bit sooner than before.

Feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions on these changes! Also, just as a reminder, the balance testing matchmaking queue will be turning off on October 13th but the balance test mod will still be available for custom games afterwards.
GG Update. Just patch it to the main client ASAP.
Good changes. Gets my seal of approval.
The battery shield should be at least 8 range and no less.

28 seconds to build a battery shield is absolutely absurd. What if you need to build battery shield midgame or late game which can be the deciding factor of the game to protect your base.

Well the battery shield didnt build fast enough and now my base is gone. What do you say to that?
I am surprised the ghost change is still being tested, I honestly find the current ghost to be better.

I'm looking forward to trying these new changes, though.
10/05/2017 10:46 AMPosted by monster
The battery shield should be at least 8 range and no less.

28 seconds to build a battery shield is absolutely absurd. What if you need to build battery shield midgame or late game which can be the deciding factor of the game to protect your base.

Well the battery shield didnt build fast enough and now my base is gone. What do you say to that?

A Bunker takes 29 seconds to build and Terran players use it for defense all the time and also offensively... you are overreacting.

You should've identified you were going to be attacked earlier, so you'd have more time to properly react and have your defences up in time.
That's what I'd say to that.
10/05/2017 11:25 AMPosted by Player

You should've identified you were going to be attacked earlier, so you'd have more time to properly react and have your defences up in time.
That's what I'd say to that.

That's what I'd call the "MSC syndrom".

In the current game, Protoss can be caught off-guard by an attack, reactively click on their Pylons and have a chance at holding. After the patch it'll be much more like Terran where Protoss has to build S.Batteries and units like Terran has to build Bunkers and units when they see a huge attack coming.

It will take time for Protosses at the lower end of the ladder to adapt.
Given that the Mothership Core costs 100m 100g, spending 75m on a Shield Battery at the natural, just in case, is not a huge investment at all.

With all these changes, it will take time for builds to adapt, but I think it will be for the best in the long-run. There are some things that still need deeper consideration though, namely Ghosts and Disruptors.
We still need to look at reducing the pick-up range of the Warp Prism, or at least make the extra range require research. When watching Neeb vs Snute at WCS it was just disgusting watching those drops happen with absolutely nothing that can deflect the prism cause it can stay so far away and still pick up the units safely. Terran and Zerg dropships require that they be pretty much on top of the units. I don't see why protoss gets to have special treatment for this mechanic.
Blizzard has got to be trolling us at this point. The swarm host has gotten worse and less useful with each patch. What is the point anymore. Just replace it with something new.
Ghosts are worse than before with the new change. Its only better for proxy cheese now.. the new change makes no !@#$ing sense if you want to see more mid-game ghost usage.
And here we go, keep nerfing the protoss race one time per patch. Overall things that have been nerfed on this redesign intended to help "protoss" race:

- MSC removed
-Disruptor almost removed from the game (useless in current state, at least remove friendly fire to make it usable)
- Oracle (heavily nerfed), only viable build in PvZ.
- Carrier (interceptor cost increased)
- Shield battery is a joke and won't help defend early drops and ling, bane busts or ravager rush. When cybercore is finished you're pretty much dead as a protoss from early cheeses (fast lings, marine rush).

At least move the ravager out from tier 1 and make lair a requirement for it or a research in the roach warren.
-------------------------------------------

Units that need to be improved:
-Tempest, give us back the experimental spell from last year with the exception that the zoning storm doesn't affect workers, protoss still needs zoning. Tempest are pretty much useless on every matchup, only useful for fighting libs and that's it.

Protoss early defense issue was not addressed by these changes overall. Will miss you MSC.
Disruptions are buffed not nerfed...its much easier to control now and cooldown is shorter much shorter. It is very close to the bw reaver right now with free and stronger scarabs. This is huge in terms of multitasking.

This whole “Protoss is nerfed every patch” narrative completely false. They made stalkers much stronger and the lategame more powerful by improving defence with shield batteries. Also the mass recall on nexus is such a huge buff. Basically a free evacuate all option when u make a mistake in an engagement etc or want to save the expensive units. That is so forgiving on the player.

The only thing that might be a problem is adjusting to the early game. But that can easily be addressed either by giving it time or minor tweaks.
10/05/2017 12:55 PMPosted by Valon
Blizzard has got to be trolling us at this point. The swarm host has gotten worse and less useful with each patch. What is the point anymore. Just replace it with something new.

+1
10/05/2017 10:58 AMPosted by JorgeCis
I am surprised the ghost change is still being tested, I honestly find the current ghost to be better.

I'm looking forward to trying these new changes, though.

I agree. I want to see different changes to ghost than free cloak
I personally think that the "zoning storm" you mention, which I think was called Disruption Field, would be better on the Mothership than on the Tempest. Since you can only field one of them, it cannot be as easily abused as with Tempests, plus it gives the Mothership a useful ability to support the army it is with rather than simply a means to teleport the army into position, since currently it feels like the Mothership is a liability if it's just part of an army.
10/05/2017 11:14 AMPosted by Velitey
A Bunker takes 29 seconds to build and Terran players use it for defense all the time and also offensively... you are overreacting.

Yeah Bunkers are OP and it is imperative to nerf the Bunker Building Time ASAP
10/05/2017 01:07 PMPosted by Flack
Disruptions are buffed not nerfed...its much easier to control now and cooldown is shorter much shorter. It is very close to the bw reaver right now with free and stronger scarabs. This is huge in terms of multitasking.

LOL, I'm sorry but you have to be blind to not see this as a nerf. The disruptor is already not used a lot, and now it will be gone.