Community Update -- January 22, 2018

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Hey everyone, thanks for the discussions regarding the proposed changes. We hear your feedback and want to make the following changes for the next balance update.

As we mentioned in our last community update, the Auto Turret will be back on the Raven replacing the Repair Drone ability. However, we received feedback that Auto Turret harass was a bit difficult to interact with due to the Raven’s ability to deploy turrets and promptly leave. Thus, we have decided to lower the Auto Turret’s cast range from 3 to 1, making the Raven user commit more in order to pull off worker harassment. With this change, the effective range of the Auto Turret becomes 7 (1 Cast Range + 6 Attack Range), meaning that well-placed Queens (8 Range) and static defenses (7 Range) will be more threatening to harassing Ravens.

Next, the Disruptor’s Purification Nova ability was becoming difficult to use with its initial charge-up time before launch. We are making a change to the Purification Nova ability and it will no longer need to charge up before firing. Instead, this charge-up time will only exist if the Disruptor drops from a transport, increasing the reaction time for players fighting against Disruptor drops.
Also, we were alerted by a community post this week that High Templars are currently able to cast Feedback on Shield Batteries. In order to make the Feedback ability more consistent with other structures with energy, players will no longer be able to cast Feedback on Shield Batteries.

Lastly, there are several events and tournaments coming up so we want to try and give players as much time to practice as possible. Therefore, we will make the balance changes available for testing in the “Balance Test Mod” extension mod on January 23rd, along with the start of 2018 Season 1 Ladder. For next seasons 1v1 map pool, it will be:

• Abiogenesis LE
  • Backwater LE
  • Acid Plant LE
  • Eastwatch LE
  • Blackpink LE
  • Neon Violet Square LE
  • Catalyst LE

As always, please feel free to let us know what you think on the forums or any other community sites.
(Durations below are stated in faster game speed.)

Terran
  • Raven
    • Interference Matrix duration increased from 5.7 to 7.9.
      • Affected units will now display a status bar to show the duration of the ability.
    • Repair Drone ability removed.
    • Auto Turret ability added.
      • Auto Turret cast range reduced from 3 to 1.
      • Hi-Sec Auto Tracking increases the range of Auto-Turrets by +1 again.
    • Anti-Armor Missile
      • Anti-Armor Missile will no longer have a delay and will fly immediately towards the target.
      • Splash radius increased from 2.4 to 2.88.
      • Splash damage changed:
        • 100% damage radius increased from 0.72 to 1.2.
        • 50% damage radius increased from 1.44 to 1.8.
        • 25% damage radius increased from 2.88 to 3.
      • Energy cost reduced from 100 to 75.
    • Enhanced Munitions upgrade removed.
  • Ghost
    • Starting energy increased from 50 to 75.
    • No longer starts with the Personal Cloaking upgrade.
  • Ghost Academy
    • Removed upgrade Moebius Reactor.
    • Added Personal Cloaking upgrade
      • 150 Minerals / 150 Gas / 85.7 Research time

Protoss
  • Nexus + Mothership
    • Mass Recall and Strategic Recall warp-in times increased from 0 seconds to 0.7 second.
  • Stalker
    • Particle Disruptors damage reduced from 15 (21 vs armored) to 13 (18 vs armored) and period reduced from 1.54 to 1.34.
      • Protoss Ground Weapons upgrade will provide +1 base damage and +1 armored instead of +2 base damage.
  • Disruptor:
    • Purification Nova initial pause duration reduced from 1 to 0.
    • When Disruptors drop from transports, if Purification Nova is not on cooldown, then there will be a 0.7 second pause before being able to use Purification Nova.
    • Range indicators will be displayed for Purification Nova when the Disruptor is selected.
  • Shield Battery
    • Now has a 'Stop' command on its command card.
  • Adept
    • Adepts will continue with their last issued command instead of stopping after using Psionic Transfer.

Zerg
  • Hydralisk
    • Split Muscular Augments upgrade into two separate upgrades:
      • Muscular Augments
        • Upgrade cost is 100 Minerals / 100 Vespene Gas / 71.4 Research time
      • Grooved Spines
        • Upgrade cost is 100 Minerals / 100 Vespene Gas / 71.4 Research time
  • Viper
    • Bug fix: Parasitic Bomb initial pause duration increased from 0 to 0.7 seconds.
does that mean parasitic bomb is supposed to deal damage 0.7 sec after detonation?
01/22/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Mechithappen
does that mean parasitic bomb is supposed to deal damage 0.7 sec after detonation?
It means that it will take 0.7 seconds, before it will start to deal damage, so you have time to split army.
01/22/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Balance Team
Raven
Interference Matrix duration increased from 5.7 to 7.9.
Affected units will now display a status bar to show the duration of the ability.

This will help a lot in my playstyle, I've used the raven to break through siege lines in TvT and also make some immortals useless in a TvP, it can also thwart a warp prism, enough time for an air unit to hunt it down, like the viking.

I thought the duration was too short for a disabled effect.

Because interference shows a bar, can we also have parasitic bomb show a bar on the affected/infected unit as well?

Shield Battery
Now has a 'Stop' command on its command card.

I don't know if someone would ever use the command to stop.
01/22/2018 02:17 PMPosted by llllllllllll
01/22/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Mechithappen
It means that it will take 0.7 seconds, before it will start to deal damage, so you have time to split army.

ok somewhat what I meant, thanks for clarification...good change
  • Shield Battery

• why would you want to 'Stop' winning?
    However, we received feedback that Auto Turret harass was a bit difficult to interact with due to the Raven’s ability to deploy turrets and promptly leave.
    What about the feedback where most people didnt want the auto turret to come back in the first place?
    01/12/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Balance Team
    Prior to our November update, we saw that players can use an early game Raven to harass and then transition it into more of a support/detection role. This adaptability helps offset its high cost and gives Terran players more ways to make their opening moves in a game. Auto-Turret would replace the current Repair Drone.
    Then why are you adding more risk to the unit? (Though its a bad idea) You are trying to make the raven worth its cost by letting it harass, then you are saying lets nerf its harass potential.

Ghost
    Starting energy increased from 50 to 75.
    No longer starts with the Personal Cloaking upgrade.
    Ghost Academy
    Removed upgrade Moebius Reactor.
    Added Personal Cloaking upgrade
    150 Minerals / 150 Gas / 85.7 Research time
    IDK maybe reducing the cost of cloak research could help. Though not necessary.

As far as i know most people didnt want the gimmicky auto turret back, though the changes are good you didnt listen much. That can be shown by the accidental implementation that happened (where nothing was changed from the original)
    Raven NEEDS a defensive ability to be able to perform its job correctly. How are mech players supposed to fight tempests kiting from 15 range if we don't have PDD?
    I'm glad repair drone is gone, but the raven needs a defensive ability. And the turret is just another free, energy based unit.

Also disruptor change is still a band aid for the poor design of the unit.

Appart from that, needed changes. Especially the stalker one.
    sounds pretty good even the fact that i don't think the auto turret is the right choice to come back

beside that these are real reasonable changes that improve experience for all sides
    even i will miss the stronger stalker version it possible makes sense
    it was a unit you want to build before it was a unit you gonna try to avoid because it was bad
    the disruptor change makes sense
    Ghost is just redesigned
    Hydralisk power peak delayed makes timings weaker
    Raven gets improved in the abillities that stay makes sense
    i guess recall is ok aswell
    Anti-Armor Missile

Anti-Armor Missile will no longer have a delay and will fly immediately towards the target.
    Splash radius increased from 2.4 to 2.88.
    Splash damage changed:
    100% damage radius increased from 0.72 to 1.2.
    50% damage radius increased from 1.44 to 1.8.
    25% damage radius increased from 2.88 to 3.

wait deals it now in 2.88 radius splash or 3.?
    Back when I made a Shield Battery mod (which were much weaker than the ones now in-game), you could manually target-recharge, say, a Nexus that had taken damage. I imagine you can do this in-game too. A problem occurred if you only wanted to partially heal it, or a more important unit needed recharging... you couldn't stop it recharging the target's shield until the battery had completely drained itself in some cases. I imagine that is what the Stop command is for.

Also, if I'm right in thinking, if you tell it to stop and it's on Autocast, it will immediately acquire a new target based on its rules on what needs to take priority (which may be the same unit it was healing before).

The 1 range on the Auto-Turrets sounds interesting and quite a creative solution to the problem.
    I am pretty happy with the autoturret change if bliz insists on adding it back.

I was initially worried but 1 cast range would make it so raven would take damage every time it goes in. If I have a spore + queen maybe just twice without losing it which sounds ok to me.

I would have preferred PDD back instead of autoturret however. Seems terrans miss their PDD for ultra late game as well.

why I think autoturret should stay gone
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20760956093?page=2#post-31
    01/22/2018 02:30 PMPosted by JackONeill
    Raven NEEDS a defensive ability to be able to perform its job correctly. How are mech players supposed to fight tempests kiting from 15 range if we don't have PDD?
    I'm glad repair drone is gone, but the raven needs a defensive ability. And the turret is just another free, energy based unit.

Also disruptor change is still a band aid for the poor design of the unit.

Appart from that, needed changes. Especially the stalker one.

If PDD was back, the Tempest should return at 4 supply. A protoss army can aford only a small number of Tempests currently.
    Not sure what problem have you with the resurrected Disruptor. If anybody had a problem, they would be the protoss players. If instead of useless circles (when you have 4 Disruptors you do not have time to select which one to fire), we had a casting method like Templars,, that would be much more useful.
    So you click where Nova has to go and the Disruptor goes in-range and then fires.
    That i call an important improvement.
    Raven was the only thing Terran could use to do damage and now you dont even want to bring it back fully? With only 1 cast range they will be straight up trash. You guys over Blizzard are unbelievable. Everyone including pro players say that the Terran bio player has a harder part than the Zerg and now its even getting easier? I mean Serral never took damage from auto turrets becasue he knows how to defend auto turrets... And back then at my level of play I really felt if a zerg was good or not if he was able to defend auto turrets well. Zerg really has an easier part in TvZ bio games so please dont nerf the cast range to make zerg easier that it already is... I am really dissapointed how 30 Zerg diamonds who dont have multitask can influence balance...
    01/22/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Mechithappen
  • Shield Battery

• why would you want to 'Stop' winning?

Because people do not want to keep healing a fully healed pylon, gateway, cybernetics core, ect, and wasting energy.
    Ravens will become even more useless. Wtf is going on over there at blizzard?
    [b][/b]
    Therefore, we will make the balance changes available for testing in the “Balance Test Mod” extension mod

The changes work really well in game, I tested the mod out when you said you were going to update it with the new set of changes earlier.
    Nerfing the stalker will just make toss go air more. so instead of nerfing their air damage or warp in time or nerfing blink somehow, you nerfed them that way so now toss will need to keep going air.
    Zerg isn't even doing well anymore. Look at GSL, latest IEM qualifiers, etc.

Ghost/Liberator is already showing signs of being too powerful