Patch 4.2.4

Co-op Missions Discussion
Let's talk about 4.2.4, which was released today.

Here are the notes:
https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/21700683

Most of the big changes were already discussed in monk's threads. However, I was pleasantly surprised with some of the bug fixes. For example, Dehaka is less vulnerable to Cyclones now.

I'm still reading the notes and I haven't played yet.

What are your thoughts?
Artanis:
  • The improved Shield Overcharge ability is great; it's a step up from the previous versions.
  • The Orbital Strike UI change is still an annoyance; would like to see it gone as a QOL change.
  • High Templar are a great camping option now; if you are able to get right on top of the enemy spawns, you can take them out almost as fast as Raynor's spidermines.
  • That being said, they are still pretty squishy when too far in front. I wouldn't be opposed to changing their attack range to 9 or something just so they are even further away from the action.
  • Mobility is still a pain point for Artanis, and removing my points from the speed increase mastery makes it even more blatant.

Raynor:
  • Would greatly appreciate if Replenish Spidermines were on autocast by default. It's still not intuitive for Raynor players, and having it as default helps out a lot.
  • The gas buff helps out; I'm able to get a lot more mech units out.
  • The pushing power takes a big hit; since Raynor's mech units aren't as easy to replace as his bio.
  • Hyperion change is amazing; it's basically your pushing unit now if you go mech.
  • The banshee change is nice, but I imagine it's only really useful for cheesing situations where you target buildings on Dead of Night, for example.
  • Overall, bio play still feels superior for me, but mech isn't that much worse if you prefer that style.
Swann definitely ramps up faster now, but it's not near the speed of other, better commanders. I don't want him to be the king of the early game, but I want him to be a viable contributor right off the bat.

Thors are still 100% useless. The barrage cannon was never the problem.
Raynor's Medics are weird.

Medic Heal Damage Reduction Mastery replaced by Mech Attack Speed Mastery. Mech Attach Speed Mastery increases the attack speed of Raynor's Factory and Starport units by 1% per point up to a maximum of 30%.

Like I get what they're trying to do but it just feels weird seeing Medics being forced to work "better" with mechs than bio.
Swann has gone from "good lord, this is slow" to "boy, I wish he'd actually function like the average commander in terms of economy."
I tried out Artanis and Reynor on the Brutation.

Artanis: Man, the Orbital Strike is great now. I think he's got a great early game now. It's actually going to take a while to get used to it. OS is so good that I'm thinking of taking points out of Sheild Overcharge Mastery. I don't use unit Abilities much so that's all that really stood out to me. Even whirlwind I use as a one-off. I expect all zealots to get one whirlwind off and die.

Raynor: I did MM/BC. It was quite good. It didn't feel very different to have them shoot and move together. It just felt natural. They naturally felt stronger. Same with the mech mastery. The jumps without vision were a lot better for interception. And the research reduction made things a bit smoother.

Felt like he got buffed without changing him fundamentally. It felt great. Mech feels really viable.
They definitely fixed the bug with Swann Ares bots , didn't expect them to fix it so soon , honestly.
Tried only Swann now and felt the speed up of his economy.

One thing that surprised me is that the Biosteel upgrade did not effect SCV's, nor did any armor upgrades. Would help out for those lonely SCV's used for repairing a turret wall.

The automatic regen is nice, thou it takes 90 seconds to restore a damaged Goliath. A regen of 3 points would feel a bit better.

Science vessels are still slow as hell and can't keep up with other units.
Swan's change is definitely a blast. MUCH strong hellbats for early situation, faster & stronger scvs ramp up faster and keep early units alive, cheaper drill upgrade opens up possibilities for early wave negligence, which in turns allow us to concentrate on ramping up, oh did I mention his unit regenerate faster and Herc's jump makes tanks push great again?

It's like connecting all the dots now!
04/17/2018 03:21 PMPosted by SniperJoe
Raynor: I did MM/BC. It was quite good. It didn't feel very different to have them shoot and move together. It just felt natural. They naturally felt stronger. Same with the mech mastery. The jumps without vision were a lot better for interception. And the research reduction made things a bit smoother.

Felt like he got buffed without changing him fundamentally. It felt great. Mech feels really viable.
I did not fully realize that the research mastery DOES indeed decrease the cost for upgrades in armory and E-bay. That is actually competitive. Shooting while moving with BC's is very satisfying, and using afterburners + old no vision teleport allows them to be extremely mobile, surprisingly. It is quite an enjoyable alternative to bio alone, although, of course, is nowhere as good. A fleet of BC's + Hyperion sweeping across the battlefield is quite enjoyable, even though it takes time to set up; the ability to shoot on the move allows BC's to synergize with the Hyperion extremely well. I am quite satisfied with his mech buffs.
As folks mentioned before me, Swann really ramp us faster. Dont know about you guys, but I kinda like new thors. I mean they retain their old issues, but new barrage casts almost instantly. Bad thing it doesnt stun, but i guess that wouldve been an overkill. Also could they add a tooltip to show if a wraith is charged up or not? And speaking of wraith - they still run out of energy...I mean just give them perma cloak already, this is just frustrating.
Raynor...Didnt feel any changes. At all. Maybe i have a poor grip on the commander. Tried massing mech. BC's average damage output is still disappointing. Vikings were cool before the update, now they rock. Banshees... Well, I had the same problem as with Wraiths - I ran out of energy, so couldnt really enjoy the +2 attack range.
Artanis has been buffed the most. New orbital strike is so good. Also new regeneration and cooldown reduction mastery paired with buffed templars/archons felt really strong. Havent tried out his mech yet. Also zealots felt like less appealing as mineral dump because of lack of the warp speed mastery. I mean they still are mineral dump and they benefit from that mastery as well, but lack of acceleration made them weaker early on.
Assuming max mech attack speed for Raynor, who has better anti infested tanks for ME or DoN? Swann or Raynor? Swann's Maelstorm rounds +regen or Raynor's stupid fast attack.
04/17/2018 04:05 PMPosted by SneakyBeat
Assuming max mech attack speed for Raynor, who has better anti infested tanks for ME or DoN? Swann or Raynor? Swann's Maelstorm rounds +regen or Raynor's stupid fast attack.

Think Raynor has the edge. Unless you're facing a tanklisk or whatever its called, since maelstorm rounds arent helping to deal AOE damage but boost single target potential, while increased AS does boost AOE output.
Raynor changes feels great so far, if you play bio-mech. His early game pushing power takes a big hit, but he gains power in the late game for it. Late game Bio&BC is probably his strongest comp now, though it won't clear maps as fast. Still, it will help a lot for those mutations where bio is just too fragile and gets wrecked by aoe/super units.

On the Battlecruiser, I was initially skeptical that the changes would be enough to bring them into the game. However, after being able to test them I find that being able to use their abilities more combined with the increased numbers you can now produce really help make them a viable choice.

One nitpick so far though is DuskWing doesn't benefit from the increased range while cloaked. Blizzard if you could change that, that would be great thanks.
04/17/2018 03:33 PMPosted by SkyHiRider
Tried only Swann now and felt the speed up of his economy.

One thing that surprised me is that the Biosteel upgrade did not effect SCV's, nor did any armor upgrades. Would help out for those lonely SCV's used for repairing a turret wall.

The automatic regen is nice, thou it takes 90 seconds to restore a damaged Goliath. A regen of 3 points would feel a bit better.

Science vessels are still slow as hell and can't keep up with other units.

I feel like 2 hp/sec is pretty good to be honest. Anymore and swann's units will regenerate health faster than Protoss shields, for the entire health pool and during combat. Just seems like powercreep at some point.
Wraiths are pretty fun to use now. They're capable of doing some ridiculous fly-by attacks over an enemy base by doing move + hold position + move, and with the Biosteel upgrade, it mitigates the problem of Science Vessels not being able to keep up.
Swann’s Wraiths got buffed a whole damn lot.

It sucks that their Cloak is still limited, but their damage is actually unreal while moving around not to mention their speed allows them to dodge things like Fungal and Storm. They still have trouble dealing with ground-based attack waves with sufficient anti-air, however.

A funny thing about Wraiths: instead of acting like Dehaka’s Mutas, they’re coded so that they have to be on the “Move” command when the projectile hits. Putting the Wraiths on “Patrol” or “Attack Move” does not boost damage even when the Wraith is sliding.
So far the worst part about Wraith spam is that it's such a mineral starved build. I'm having a hard time maxing out supply on them against certain comps.
Mass wraith with regenerative bio-steel feels really nice. Damage is quite high (~17 dps/supply) at +3 atk with the moving dmg buff. The required move, stop, move, stop micro feels demanding in a good way. Wraiths felt much more durable than expected. I like the change a lot.
Swann wraith + karax repair beam is probably the most synergistic combo in the game.