Why Co-Op is the future of SC2

General Discussion
Starcraft 2 versus is geared towards less than 0.5% of the population -- there is simply too much to do, too little time to do it, and things move too quickly.

Versus would be the staple of SC2 (instead of co-op) if they simply lowered the game-speed a bit; there is no need for it to be on fastest.
Speed isn't the issue people have with competetive multiplayer at all? Coop is popular (equally as popular as ladder with a playerbase that doesn't overlap, as if a year or two ago) because it's a game mode dedicated to being fun and doing PvE with other people.

Its a completely different experience to ladder and people absolutely wouldnt swap over if you just slowed ladder down a little bit
04/17/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Togetic
Speed isn't the issue people have with competetive multiplayer at all? Coop is popular (equally as popular as ladder with a playerbase that doesn't overlap, as if a year or two ago) because it's a game mode dedicated to being fun and doing PvE with other people.

Its a completely different experience to ladder and people absolutely wouldnt swap over if you just slowed ladder down a little bit

I would and so would my friends. We play both Co-op and ladder.
I agree with mysti, the game is a bit to fast.

If it was just in fast instead of faster, it would make macro and micro easier and give a better place to strategy/tactics. Faster player would still have an edge, but not as big as it is now.

You look at those considered the best players now, it's people like Innovation or Stats who are macro players, not particularly known for their strategic sense.

And even those who are, like sOs, must still be extremely good at macro (instead of insanely good).

The problem is that the game is balanced around it. Giving more time to go out of a storm, to put forcefield against baneling, to pull your probe from a baneling/mine drop... would make a massive impact on the game.
04/17/2018 02:17 PMPosted by MystiKasT
Starcraft 2 versus is geared towards less than 0.5% of the population -- there is simply too much to do, too little time to do it, and things move too quickly.

Versus would be the staple of SC2 (instead of co-op) if they simply lowered the game-speed a bit; there is no need for it to be on fastest.

Rather then Co-op being the future of SC2, which will no doubt remain a 1v1 melee game at it's core, the success of Co-op is probably inspiring Blizzard to create a stand along game just for the co-op experience. Much like the DotA experience has manifested into stand alone games like League of Legends, DotA2, and Blizzards own Heroes of the Storm.

In fact, if they don't make that game, maybe I should. ;)
The issue is that even the best players are not at the limit of doing everything possible. If they made the game speed slower, then the people who are doing more things than you will still be doing more things than you. That's how it is with competitive games.

Macro might max out at some point for pros, but then focus will just shift towards micro and multi-tasking. I don't know if that would be good or bad for the game, but it won't make it any easier for lower leagues to climb any higher. It's a zero sum game.
The CO-OP game has more and more players because the need for macro is lower than the micro. This mode offer many interesting micro options for players due commanders and more familiar with MOBAS.
Blizzard should realize that main mode would be better with more micro to attract more F2P players since 90% of them are already of the new generation of MOBAS.
WoL was a nice toned down Starcraft that had a lot of regular players but Blizzard killed the ladder.
Changing the speed is not the problem. The game has been balanced around e-sports and being competitive. That makes it hard for new players.
1v1 will always be the heart of the game
Ladder can honestly slow down just a little bit. Not so much that it goes back to Heart of the Swarm, but enough where you have a bit more room to do things.

Though, if I recall, part of why StarCraft 2 ladder isn't as popular as co-op is because co-op allows people to play with their friends. A lot of gaming is fun because you could play with people. I feel that if team games were altered to have their own form of balance that is fair to team games rather than using 1v1's balance settings, then more people might enjoy teaming up.
I tried an unranked match once, it's a little too taxing to play sleepy eyed while I'm sipping coffee trying to wake up. Very edgy feel to the gameplay.
2v2 + is fundamentally broken and unplayable, so is a nightmare to play with friends, but with CO OP there is alot more breathing space and variety.