Co-op Mission Update - Artanis Revamp

Co-op Missions Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Hey everyone! Last time, we identified various issues surrounding Artanis, Raynor, and Swann in preparation for our next Co-op patch. Today, we’d like to focus our attention on Artanis, leader of the Daelaam.

In terms of unit composition diversity, we think that Artanis is in a pretty good spot. He has many equally-powerful compositions, and all his units regularly see some use. However, compared to the rest of the commanders, we do feel he could use an overall boost in power. In our last community update, we identified specific issues surrounding his energy-based calldowns and his anti-air options.

Spear of Adun
We feel that one of Artanis’ primary weaknesses is the lack of tension involved in expending energy on his Spear of Adun abilities. That is, because of the low impact of these abilities, players don’t feel that utilizing the top bar well was essential. A side effect is that Artanis’ “Extra Initial and Maximum Spear of Adun Energy” Mastery is picked less often than Vorazun or Karax’s equivalent Masteries. Our changes regarding the Spear of Adun are an attempt to increase this energy tension and resolve these issues.

Orbital Strike
  • Orbital Strike energy cost from 50 energy to 25 energy.
  • Orbital Strike cooldown from 60 seconds to 30 seconds.

The current iteration of Artanis’ Orbital Strike is less than half as good as Karax’s equivalent ability. While we think that it’s OK for Karax to have a better version of this ability because Spear of Adun is so core to his identity, we don’t think Artanis’ version should be that much worse. This change allows Artanis to have the same damage potential as Karax, but with less flexibility.

Shield Overcharge
  • Shield Overcharge cooldown reduced from 300 seconds to 240 seconds.

We think 50 energy for an ability of Shield Overcharge’s caliber is a pretty good deal. However, we found we couldn’t use it as much as we’d like. We’re therefore reducing the cooldown of this ability to four minutes. Upcoming Mastery changes will further improve this ability.

Dragoon
  • Dragoon damage increased from 14(22 vs armored) to 14(28 vs armored). Damage increased from weapon upgrades increased from +1(+2 vs armored) to +1(+3 vs armored).
  • Dragoon base range increased from 5 to 6. Range after Singularity Charge increased from 7 to 8.

Dragoons are often cited as being one of the weakest units in all of Co-op. We also feel that Artanis needs more options against heavy air units like Liberators, Battlecruisers, Carriers, and Tempests. As a result, we’ll be looking to change some of the Dragoon’s stats, specifically focusing on improving its performance against these units.

Phoenix

• Phoenix base damage increased from 5 (10 vs light) to 7 (12 vs light).

As with the Dragoon, we want to improve the Phoenix’s anti-air capabilities so that it would be able to stand up a bit better against armored targets, while at the same time maintaining its role as an anti-light superiority fighter.

Because Karax’s Mirage is such a closely related unit and the Mirage could also use some help, we’re going to extend this buff to Mirages as well.

High Templar/Archon
  • Khaydarin Amulet upgrade cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.
  • Plasma Surge upgrade cost decreased from 200/200 to 150/150.
  • Plasma Surge upgrade research time decreased from 120 seconds to 90 seconds.

We think the High Templar and Archon tech path is mostly in a good place right now. However, the ramp-up time is a bit longer than we’d like, so we’d like to slightly reduce the research costs and research times associated with High Templar and Archons.

Masteries
  • Shield Overcharge Cooldown Mastery replaced with Shield Overcharge Duration and Durability Mastery. Shield Overcharge Strength and Duration Mastery increases the durability and duration of Shield Overcharge by 3% per point up to 90%.

We’d like to redesign the Shield Overcharge Mastery so that it’s a competitive choice against the very powerful “Guardian Shell Life and Shield Restoration” Mastery. At max Mastery, Artanis will be able to absorb 380 damage per unit over a duration of 38 seconds, which we feel will result in a pretty powerful ability.
  • Warp Charge Cooldown Reduction Mastery replaced by Energy Regeneration and Ability Cooldown Reduction Mastery. This new Mastery increases the energy generation and reduces the ability cooldowns of all of Artanis' units by 1% per point, up to 30%. Affected abilities include the Zealot's Charge and Whirlwind, the Immortal's Barrier, the Reaver's Create Scarab, the Phoenix's Graviton Beam, and the Tempests' Disintegration. High Templar and Archons will have their energy regeneration increased.

The “Warp Charge Cooldown Reduction” Mastery was a fairly weak option when compared to its counterpart, “Speed Increases for Warped In Units.” Almost all of Artanis’ units happen to use cooldown-based or energy-based abilities, so we came up with this unique Mastery that will buff almost all possible unit compositions in different ways. We think this new alternative will create an interesting Mastery choice for players.

Going Forward
As always, now is a great time to tell us what you think. Do these changes sufficiently address Artanis’ shortcomings? Is there anything else we might have missed? We look forward to hearing your feedback!

Kevin Dong
Co-op Commander Designer
I really love the idea of the Energy Regen and CDR Mastery, but is 30% really going to be enough of a boost to make it competitive against a 60% Haste for all warped in units? That's a huge offensive boost right when Artanis warps in units, which is key to his theme.

I think at least a 60% max boost for the Energy and CDR Mastery is necessary to make it competitive versus the Haste. This is especially prevalent for the Energy Generation portion of the mastery, since the default regen rate of energy for Artanis' spellcasters is so low, that just a mere 30% boost is really... not that impressive.
I think the orbital strike is spot on.
Please spare us the spear of adun hud which delays the skill with unnecessary transformation.

I am not sure if the dragoon change will do any good. It’s a little improvement but still doesn’t seem to suffice. What is the exact usability? If you want to go against armored ground you fare better with the new immortals. If you go against armored air the tempest is much better and can even be covered by new Phoenix which is by now even stronger against scourge or interceptor. Strengthening the antiair of the dragoon - but regardless of armor - Could give the unit more opportunities. It’s the only ground unit next to the archon which can attack air.

The Phoenix buff will help a lot against light air but please don’t put the same stats to the mirage. Make them distinct units with different styles. They are not the same unit. One of them can attack while moving for example.

I like the new masteries though.
One other change I think would be good for Artanis would involve an addition to his Archons (specifically the High Archons talent perk). Giving up two HTs cuts down greatly on your ability to cast storms, in exchange for a burly frontline unit that doesn't quite feel worth the tradeoff.

I think a neat idea to buff them slightly would be to give High Archons the Force of Will passive ability Artanis had in the campaign, which gave greatly enhanced shield regeneration and a small health regen. This would add to their ability to survive engagements and regen fast enough to be able to fight at full strength quickly.

The idea stems from how you gave Karax's Reclamation ability to his Energizers, which I thought was a novel concept, representing a Hero's abilities by bequeathing them to their units.

Another idea along this lines is giving his HTs/High Archons a research for the Astral Winds spell Artanis used (or a weaker version of it), giving a form of direct heal they can use to directly heal the life of units around them. It would be a way to give Artanis a way to heal his units that required at least some form of micro instead of totally automatic like most other commanders. I think it is a good balance, that Artanis commanders have to use a bit of effort if they want to heal their units, manually using Astral Winds near injured units.
Thank you for the update.

Artanis was lacking for a long time, and now it's finally his turn.
No archon buff to compensate for the lost energy regen of 2 HT and half the max
No removal of zoom out for orbital strike.
Removing 30 seconds on a 8+ minute ramp up isn't that good.
Dragoon increases it's overlap in role with immortals and tempests
Energy regen/CDR mastery not useful on much besides reavers and occasionally HT

Phoenix buff and orbital strike buff are cool, but this feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back
Can't wait to see change in comprehensive guide.
I think I was one of the few players who used CDR over Warp in haste. I'm not with everyone else when it comes to the energy mastery needing a MUCH greater increase, but going from 30-45 might make me happier over losing CDR. I liked not having to build more than 2 of each production building.
03/29/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Kirena
I really love the idea of the Energy Regen and CDR Mastery, but is 30% really going to be enough of a boost to make it competitive against a 60% Haste for all warped in units? That's a huge offensive boost right when Artanis warps in units, which is key to his theme.

I think at least a 60% max boost for the Energy and CDR Mastery is necessary to make it competitive versus the Haste. This is especially prevalent for the Energy Generation portion of the mastery, since the default regen rate of energy for Artanis' spellcasters is so low, that just a mere 30% boost is really... not that impressive.

Depending on your favorite compositions, I think it will. Templar/archon heavy comps for example tend to rely on a core of long-term ability users to maintain their damage while the zealots are mostly thrown in to eat up a mineral bank and clean up whatever survives on the ground. Reaver based comps struggle with longer battles like on the infested maps because their ammo regenerates slower than they attack. If you like immortals for your damage though, warp in haste will be better.

I think its a real choice based on personal preference.
I think it would be better to give Dragoons a secondary AA attack with long (30 sec) cooldown, similar to Magrail Munitions of Nova's Marauders. That way you'd avoid role overlap with Immortals.

Also I've posted a suggestion regarding Shield Overcharge once, the idea is to split ability in two charges, each with 120 sec generation, half strength (100 shield) and half power cost. I dunno how useful new mastery will be, 380 shield sounds like an overkill. With multiple charges though you can push small objectives more often, similar to commanders with heroes, and it would make new mastery more appealing.
03/29/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Kelthar
03/29/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Kirena

Depending on your favorite compositions, I think it will. Templar/archon heavy comps for example tend to rely on a core of long-term ability users to maintain their damage while the zealots are mostly thrown in to eat up a mineral bank and clean up whatever survives on the ground. Reaver based comps struggle with longer battles like on the infested maps because their ammo regenerates slower than they attack. If you like immortals for your damage though, warp in haste will be better.

I think it also affects the Immortal barrier too.
03/29/2018 12:43 PMPosted by Shoobs
I liked not having to build more than 2 of each production building.

I didn't need to build more than 2 of each production WITHOUT using CDR, your point?
03/29/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Shoobs
03/29/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Kelthar

I think it also affects the Immortal barrier too.

It does, but I don't think it will regenerate fast enough to pop a second time in most combats, which are otherwise far enough apart for it to regenerate even with the full cooldown, so its of negligible benefit for that.
Awesome to see the some necessary improvements were made to artanis. He demands this rework for more than a year since his shell ability was nerfed.
Ehmm, you know what I am about to say. Top player, like monk, really has better understanding than the pervious coop team leader.
The SoA hud was cool in the campaign and it worked because the gameplay paused. In coop, it's irritating especially if we're going to use orbital strike more often.
While number buffs will always increase the strength and viability of something, I think these changes don't really address most of the core issues that make Artanis such a chore to play.

The reason Dragoons are so bad is because they're so fat and clunky to move around and attack with that they always just get in the way of eachother and your immortals/reavers. Increasing their range by 1 just means that they'll get in the way of eachother from 1 tile further back than before. They'll still be an obnoxious clunky mess of a unit that you hate having to add to your army.
I like the changes to Templar tech and the new energy regen mastery. That should lead to more potential for fun, micro-intensive playstyles.

Indifferent to the rest. Seems like more buffs for the sake of buffs.
03/29/2018 01:11 PMPosted by IcyMaple
Awesome to see the some necessary improvements were made to artanis. He demands this rework for more than a year since his shell ability was nerfed.
Ehmm, you know what I am about to say. Top player, like monk, really has better understanding than the pervious coop team leader.

Please stop comparing teammebers.
03/29/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Xolo
While number buffs will always increase the strength and viability of something, I think these changes don't really address most of the core issues that make Artanis such a chore to play.

The reason Dragoons are so bad is because they're so fat and clunky to move around and attack with that they always just get in the way of eachother and your immortals/reavers. Increasing their range by 1 just means that they'll get in the way of eachother from 1 tile further back than before. They'll still be an obnoxious clunky mess of a unit that you hate having to add to your army.

It will be Slightly better because the back line of dragoons will get to fire a little more as the enemy closes... I agree it isn't enough (although it does make Dragoons Siege engines, and definitely better v. air).. If they gave Dragoons some more base hp as well then that might make them worthwhile

They do need to fix the HUD (make it somehow better or delete it)

Mastery Shield Overcharge now seems like it is designed for pushing major objectives (ie keep 50 energy on hand)..it gets a bit of overlap with the Solar Bombardment that way I guess switch off one v. the other for handling objectives/dangerous waves

The new ability Mastery sounds interesting.... maybe increase it slightly to 45% (or make it apply to Spear of Adun abilities/energy as well..that's what I thought it was when I first started to read it...although that might be too Karaxy)

Love the stream of updates
03/29/2018 12:33 PMPosted by ILIKEPIE
No archon buff to compensate for the lost energy regen of 2 HT and half the max

The benefit of doing this is a combat unit which has decent AA damage, great durability, and can regenerate almost all of its HP. Archons aren't supposed to be a straight upgrade to high Templar. If you don't need a warrior, just stick with the two Templar.

I do wish though that you could cast spells from both units without having to tab between them though.